PDA

View Full Version : Increasing carrying capacity?

Kantolin
2010-09-22, 10:16 PM
I would like to increase my carrying capacity.

I am aware of:
- Increasing Strength(Doing that)
- Increasing Size (I'm a huge-sized half-orc when it's relevant to be huge)
- The Easy Travel armour property in the magic item compendium (got it)
- Polymorph/metamorphisis(Can't and don't want to)
- And... uh, bags of holding and similar (Not what I"m looking for).

Anything I'm missing? Ideally I'd prefer a psionic power or something I can buy, but I'd accept a feat or spell. Or an epic feat, not an epic spell, but boy had it better be a doozy of an epic feat to merit spending a precious epic feat on 'carry more' :P

I can't/don't want to switch races, or class levels (He's going to be a psychic warrior 21 shortlyish). The party has a variety of other characters if there's some other spell that could help (We have a druid, a cleric, and then an extremely low level sorceror. And a Dragon Shaman, Paladin, second cleric who is lower level than the first and a unicorn, but that sounds less useful for the given purpose although the Dragon Shaman is unquestionably our most useful unit).

We've also got teleport and plane shift and are physically in Sigil at the moment. :P So pretty much any suggestions are helpful.

Keld Denar
2010-09-22, 10:19 PM
Belt of the Wide Earth in the MIC (pg 204) is a set item (Raiment of the Four) that doubles your carrying capacity. It also allows you to spontaneously cast Teleport twice per day by sacrificing appropriate level spell slots. 8000g, its a steal!

The Rabbler
2010-09-22, 10:21 PM
increasing carrying capacity but not throwing moons? whatever for?

Snake-Aes
2010-09-22, 10:23 PM
graft an extra pair of legs.

Kantolin
2010-09-22, 10:57 PM
Belt of the Wide Earth in the MIC (pg 204) is a set item (Raiment of the Four) that doubles your carrying capacity.

That's perfect. Thank you!

increasing carrying capacity but not throwing moons? whatever for?

I want to carry around the empire state building? ^_^

Not literally that, but that's more or less the schtick of it.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-22, 11:27 PM
How about minions? Technically they could count as increasing your carrying capacity because they would volunteer to carry it for you.
But they're warhulk minions, so they carry around entire houses at your whim

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-22, 11:36 PM
How about minions? Technically they could count as increasing your carrying capacity because they would volunteer to carry it for you.

Yeah.

Talisman of the Disk: Cheap little magic item that gives you Tenser's Floating Disk (CL3rd) at will. MiC.

The Rabbler
2010-09-22, 11:47 PM

This seems like your best shot. pick up leadership and build yourself a hulking hurler-esque monstrosity that can easily carry a 50 story building.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-23, 12:11 AM
If it's just a matter of not wanting to carry a bag/pack, you can get a belt of hidden pockets for lots of little bags of holding+some regular pouches+some of the bags of holding being locked to prevent theft even if someone steals it or a belt of many pockets for the same minus the locking/secret bits.

Kantolin
2010-09-23, 12:29 AM
How about minions?

Haha, I suppose I didn't specifically say no minions. Thank you, but that's also not what I'm looking for - I want to do it. :P

Talisman of the Disk: Cheap little magic item that gives you Tenser's Floating Disk (CL3rd) at will. MiC.

Also thanks, but I want to do the carrying.

If it's just a matter of not wanting to carry a bag/pack.

I'm aware that this isn't a terribly practical concern; we've got plenty of bags of holding and the like. Really, I just want to boost my carrying capacity further; the belt of wide earth is rather ideal, and the only reason I haven't commenced ignoring this topic is on the hope that there's another ideal item like that one that I've missed. ^_^

Keld Denar
2010-09-23, 12:37 AM
According to the MIC, you can add affinity atributes to existing magic items for the delta in price, rather than the 50% markup the DMG normally charges. That means a Belt of the Wide Earth of Giant Strength +6 is only 8000g + 36000g = 44000g, instead of 36000g + 8000x1.5 = 48000g. Now, technically the rules don't say you can add Wide Earth to Giant Str, only Giant Str to Wide Earth, but the end result is the same so it shouldn't be hard to pass.

BobVosh
2010-09-23, 12:40 AM
Gosh, he just wants to look under the occasional hill to see if delicious hobbitshalfings are there.

I am humored by the "graft on more legs" option, simply due to mental images. On a side note you will also be harder to bull rush with that.

Alleine
2010-09-23, 12:48 AM
Incidentally, there is a graft for this. 2000gp gets you stronger back muscles and spine, and you are counted as a quadruped for the purposes of carrying capacity. It's in The Fiend Folio under Illithid grafts.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-23, 12:52 AM
Incidentally, there is a graft for this. 2000gp gets you stronger back muscles and spine, and you are counted as a quadruped for the purposes of carrying capacity. It's in The Fiend Folio under Illithid grafts.

a warforged component too, lower body turns into a lion when activated and you go up a size category plus the usual 4 legged creature benefits on speed/carrying capacity :).

EvilJames
2010-09-23, 02:14 AM
there is also a feat in the planar handbook "Natural heavy weight" I believe that doubles your capacity.

Andion Isurand
2010-09-23, 02:52 AM
In Kobold Quarterly 6... the Pale turquoise prism ioun stone... halves the wieght of everything you carry for the purpose of encumberance.

The Lighten Load spell (army 2, clr 2) in Dragon 317 pg 78 can increases your carrying capacity at CL 10 as if your strength were increased by +10.

The Rabbler
2010-09-23, 12:57 PM
a warforged component too, lower body turns into a lion when activated and you go up a size category plus the usual 4 legged creature benefits on speed/carrying capacity :).

that's an artifact...

Bugbeartrap
2010-09-23, 01:13 PM
Everyone got all the 3.5 items and spells I know of, besides polymorphing into something bigger and leggier.

For the sake of completeness, there is a lvl 1 sor/wiz spell from pathfinder called Ant Haul which triples carrying capacity.

Kantolin
2010-09-23, 05:17 PM
Belt of the Wide Earth of Giant Strength +6

That's what I was going to do (Or something like it anyway) ^_^

Grafts

Thank you, but grafts aren't an option either.

there is also a feat in the planar handbook "Natural heavy weight" I believe that doubles your capacity.

That's interesting - I may be able to utilize that one as well. Thanks!

In Kobold Quarterly 6... the Pale turquoise prism ioun stone...

The Lighten Load spell (army 2, clr 2) in Dragon 317 pg 78

Dragon Magazine is also sadly off-limits, sorry. Thanks, though. What is Kobold Quarterly?

For the sake of completeness, there is a lvl 1 sor/wiz spell from pathfinder called Ant Haul

Huh. I'll look into that one too; pathfinder is probably also off-limits, but I may be able to get it in.

(We're actually a relatively open group as far as noncore is concerned, people here have just sniped the few things we have banned/limited. :P)

Thanks a lot, everyone! Those responses help a bunch; I think I've got all the infromation I really need. Can't quite /lift/ the statue of liberty, but at least I could push it around.

Hague
2010-09-23, 05:22 PM
Not entirely relevant, but there's a spell in Forge of War that makes it so you don't take a movement penalty from heavy armor (Dex checks and other drawbacks still apply)

TurtleKing
2010-09-23, 06:39 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I think in Arms & Equipment Guide there is an item that could help. Its a carrying frame used with a backpack that either reduces the weight by a fourth or a tenth.