PDA

View Full Version : Ow, why does this hurt?

RationalGoblin
2010-09-22, 11:32 PM
So off and on for about a day now, I've had the most bizarre pains. If I breathe wrong, there is a (sharp and warm, but not wet) pulling sensation on my upper chest, right below where my right shoulder and collarbone meet.

It's painful for a few seconds, but then settles down into a slightly warm sensation in the aforementioned area.

I have no idea why the pain is doing what it is doing. I haven't exerted myself very much; I don't usually exert myself at all! :smallsigh:

I do occasionally walk/run on my treadmill, but I haven't for about a week (or so), so it's probably not a muscle pulled.

It's only on the right side, so it's not likely to be something with the heart. I haven't ever had heart problems anyway.

It's merely annoying and only somewhat painful right now, so I'm not too worried. Merely curious if any of you could shed the light on these odd pains.

TSGames
2010-09-22, 11:55 PM
Maybe....ask a doctor?

I wouldn't trust a DnD message board for medical advice.

Gorgondantess
2010-09-23, 12:00 AM
Ask a doctor. If there's something up, and you can afford the frivolity, ask a doctor. As an analogy, melanoma is painless and just looks like a strangely shaped spot until it's too late: just because something isn't making your life hell doesn't mean it couldn't get worse, and the longer you wait for it to get worse, the more complications can arise. Trust me. This has happened to me multiple times: it's enough to turn one into a hypochondriac.

RationalGoblin
2010-09-23, 12:07 AM
Well, I just got an opinion from my mom (who is a certified medical something or another. Basically, close to being a medic without formal schooling).

She says that it's probably just a passing pain in my lung. She doesn't know how it would happen, but I don't think I'll die in the night, so I'll ask her again in the morning.

I asked these boards because I know there's a psychiatrist (smellie hippy, I think), and was hoping that there was other people that were similar, except experts in the body rather than mind.

Thajocoth
2010-09-23, 12:41 AM
I asked these boards because I know there's a psychiatrist (smellie hippy, I think), and was hoping that there was other people that were similar, except experts in the body rather than mind.

Problem is, even if there was, they couldn't diagnose something from a post. There's a reason doctors have you come to them. They need to take a look at the area themselves.

You take almost any symptom a person could have, and there are likely dozens of explanations for it. Only through testing can these be narrowed down.

A random pain in the chest, for example, could be anything from gas (just a burp) to a deadly heart attack, with a lot of less extreme possibilities between. There are very wide ranges for these things.

Zaggab
2010-09-23, 04:15 AM
As people have already said, there's no way to make a an accurate diagnosis from a forum post.

Best case scenario (also very probable scenario), it's something passing and harmless as the pleura sheets (the slippery sack surrounding the lung so that it can expand etc.) sticking together and causing pain. If it's that, it will pass soon.

Worst case scenario (also very unlikely scenario, fortunately), it's cancer of some sort (e.g. lung cancer, myeloma etc.). Also, heart problems can manifest in many different ways, so just because it's on the right side doesn't mean it isn't the heart. Other possibilities include fractures, infections and the like.

Generally, non-serious pain is nothing to worry about unless it stays for more than a week. As it's only been like this for a day, it may be a little early to go see a doctor. If it gets worse, or if it's still like this in a week, seeing a doctor is a very good idea.

RationalGoblin
2010-09-23, 04:26 PM
The pain seems to have disappeared, haven't felt it all day. This is good. :smallsmile:

So it seems to have been something of a false alarm. Thanks for the reassurance and advice, guys. I'm glad I don't have to go to a doctor.

smellie_hippie
2010-09-24, 08:03 AM

Therapist my friend... therapist. No medical training. I just get into your head. Or your kidney if you happen to be Archonic Energy. :smallamused:

Saw your later posts though, and I'm glad that the pain has passed. Obviously if it comes up again, check with your doctor. The benefit of getting direct medical attention is more than worth mentioning here.

ForzaFiori
2010-09-24, 09:47 AM
Problem is, even if there was, they couldn't diagnose something from a post. There's a reason doctors have you come to them. They need to take a look at the area themselves.

You take almost any symptom a person could have, and there are likely dozens of explanations for it. Only through testing can these be narrowed down.

A random pain in the chest, for example, could be anything from gas (just a burp) to a deadly heart attack, with a lot of less extreme possibilities between. There are very wide ranges for these things.

Even though it is impossible to diagnose from the boards, I would still rather have someone tell me "well, its one of these 12 different things that cause that, and its most likely this one, and these 3 could be fatal, if this happens, you need to see a doctor immediately", etc. Than just be thinking to myself "well, this could be something serious, but I think I'll wait a day or too to see if it keeps up before going to the doctor." At least with the board, I'd have some sort of idea what would be killing me if I just keeled over, which I think would be better than not knowing anything.

Marnath
2010-09-24, 10:07 AM
If you just keeled over I'd hope you would use your last bit of strength to call emergency services, not post here. :smalltongue: