PDA

View Full Version : Character Build - RHoD Deneith Heir

WarlockOfSibery
2010-09-26, 05:00 PM
Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time. Finally getting into an Eberron Red Hand of Doom campaign, and need a little help with a character build. But first, some relevant background:

- Books allowed - All Eberron, Races and Completes, anything else case by case basis
- Starting at level 5, DM has a "prologue" of sorts
- Everyone starts with the same array 18, 16, 14, 14, 12, 10
- Starting Wealth of 7th level PC
- Level 1 takes 2 flaws, flaws=feats
- Fighter gets 4 skill points/level, and an expanded list, includes Bluff, Sense Motive, Heal, Gather Info, Knowledge (Local, Nobility, Dungeoneering, History)

Our party thus far:
- Changeling Rogue/Swashbuckler, skill monkey, social skills, UMD
- Warforged Warmage, blaster
- Shifter Scout/Barbarian/Ranger, scout and beatstick
- Human Silver Flame Cleric, healer and archer
- ? unknown, hopefully wizard or artificer
- Me

My base idea was for a dragonmarked human Deneith heir, good leader while maintaining personal combat ability, just this side of excorciated(sp?) for breaking a contract shortly before wars end in Aundair. Another tidbit, the Dwarf mercenaries are being replaced with a Blademark company, will offer a good spot for my character to come into play RP-wise.

My initial ideas were tactically minded Sword and Board Fighter 2/Marshal 3 or Power Attacking THW Fighter 4/Marshal 1, with eyes on either Legendary Leader from HoB and/or Mythic Exemplar from CChamp, as I know Fighter past 4 is iffy, and depending on party tactics/composition marshal is only worth it for 3-7 levels.

So, my questions would be:
- While Fighter/Marshal would be the personification of my idea, is it viable?
- Since we lack a real heavy tank type, should I go sword and board or THW?
- How can I best convey the "leader" aspect, like giving bonuses etc without playing a bard? Not that bards aren't viable, it just doesn't seem to sync with the feel of the character.

The only real aspects that I'm attached to are being a marked Deneith heir that is good in combat. Thank you all for your time and ideas!

AslanCross
2010-09-26, 05:41 PM
Marshal is really only good for one of its auras. If you want a tactical tank type, a White Raven Warblade or Crusader is the way to go. Fighter/Warblade might be better fluff-wise.

Crusader is better for true tanking, as it actually has the ability to prevent monsters from hitting allies, but the Warblade has more HP and is a better damage dealer.

Dralnu
2010-09-26, 06:57 PM
Crusader makes for a really sweet and fun tank. You can still tank just fine with a THW too.

I never understood why Warblade has more hp than it.

AslanCross
2010-09-26, 08:29 PM
To offset its lack of heavy armor prof, maybe.

WarlockOfSibery
2010-09-28, 12:45 PM
Sorry, been a busy few days.

Talked to the DM yesterday, and he will allow Bo9S, he was on the fence about it previously, that's why I hadn't mentioned it as a source. So, with those new developments I present the blade magic using Kelvan d'Denieth

Kelvan d'Deneith
LN Fighter 2/Warblade 3
24 years old 6'2" 212 lbs
Lean but well muscled, graceful, long black hair and a close cropped beard, dark blue-grey eyes, rough features

Str 19 (18 + lvl 4 increase)
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 10

Maneuvers (5+1 feat, Init lvl 4)
Devoted Spirit - Shield Block (feat)
Diamond Mind - Moment of Perfect Mind
Iron Heart - Steel Strike, Wall of Blades
Tiger Claw - Wolf Fang Strike
White Raven - Leading the Attack

Stances (1)
Iron Heart - Punishing Stance

Feats
1st lvl - Shield Spec (heavy)
Human - Exotic Wpn Prof (bastard sword)
Fighter 1 - Imp Shield Bash
Flaw 1 - Power Attack
Flaw 2 - Imp Bull Rush
Fighter 2 - Dungeoncrasher variant (Dungeonscape)
3rd lvl - Martial Study (Shield Block)

Gear - Bastard sword, spear, breastplate, heavy shield

Things changed flavor-wise, raised as a dutiful Deneith heir, served in as an officer in the Blademarks during the War before joining the Defenders Guild, a failed contract in Aundair leads to his disgrace. After being banished for the time being, (excorciation (sp?) was held back by his family) wandered about adventuring with an older Swordsage companion. During that time he began helping others, and found that he enjoyed that far more than the black and white life of a mercenary. (Also my tie in for a swordsage level in the build)

Future Plans:
- feats to be picked up include Stance (Thicket of Blades), Snap Kick, Agile Shield Fighter
- level wise, continuing Warblade with a one level dip into Swordsage, that will get me the bulk of Diamond Mind maneuvers I'd want, as well as Weapon Focus (bastard sword) and if I do the Unarmed variant I'd get Imp Unarmed Strike as well
- plan on sticking with Iron Heart, White Raven and Diamond Mind

Any thoughts as to maneuver selection, gear or what level a swordsage dip would be most advantageous?

Ruinix
2010-09-28, 02:55 PM
crusader / cavalier for q true tank and damage soaker. and cavalier had some sort of "leader" role.

Keld Denar
2010-09-28, 03:16 PM
I dunno what your build order is, but you are best off going Warblade1/Fighter2/Warblade+2 than Fighter2/Warblade3. Having that Warblade level at 1 gives you the same IL/maneuver progression, essentially, 1 extra HP on average, and 8 more skill points. Having the Fighter level at first level gets you...nothing.

Just something to consider. ToB is funky like that.

AslanCross
2010-09-28, 06:11 PM
Are you sure about taking EWP for the Bastard Sword? It really won't end up dealing much more damage than a longsword since you're going one-handed anyway. (Besides, the longsword works well with the White-Raven specific feats).

WarlockOfSibery
2010-09-28, 06:19 PM
I dunno what your build order is, but you are best off going Warblade1/Fighter2/Warblade+2 than Fighter2/Warblade3. Having that Warblade level at 1 gives you the same IL/maneuver progression, essentially, 1 extra HP on average, and 8 more skill points. Having the Fighter level at first level gets you...nothing.

Just something to consider. ToB is funky like that.

Hmmm. Hadn't thought about that, thank you. That could work, my characters immediate family has some fairly heavy pull in the house, i.e. access to blade magic, so during his time away in Blademarks he got more "technical" combat training... Sorry for rambling, both the DM and myself prefer characters whose back story syncs with their build.

Anyway, build will probably go like so:

1. Warblade 1
2. Fighter 1
3. Fighter 2
4. Warblade 2
5. Warblade 3
6. Warblade 4
7. Warblade 5
8. Swordsage 1
9+. Warblade

WarlockOfSibery
2010-09-28, 06:31 PM
Are you sure about taking EWP for the Bastard Sword? It really won't end up dealing much more damage than a longsword since you're going one-handed anyway. (Besides, the longsword works well with the White-Raven specific feats).

I did think about just going longsword, bastard sword is kinda a flavor thing, but also its one of the few "associated" weapons that apply to both Iron Heart AND Diamond Mind. Also, if/when I dip swordsage I can pick Diamond Mind as a my discipline focus (which has to be a swordsage discipline, which White Raven is not) which would snag me a free Weapon Focus with the aforementioned bastard sword.

I've been guilty of meta-gaming before. (Its like a drug, you cant help it.)

Also, what White Raven feats?