PDA

View Full Version : New spell - criticism needed before submission to DM!

Absynthyne
2010-09-28, 09:43 PM
We're running a 3.5 epic game that allows the use of the Warcraft tabletop books. My character has levels in Healer: Priest, and I've been looking into developing a bouncing healing spells (much like Prayer of Mending, as a Warcraft reference).
Any input would be fantastic before I present it to the DM.
Thanks in advance.

Litany
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Priest 9
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Special
Duration: 5 rounds or special
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Litany enables you to place a seed of dormant positive energy into a nearby creature. The seed has no effect until the target takes hit point damage from any source, at which point the seed erupts, healing the target for 250 hit points and ending any and all of the following adverse conditions affecting the target: ability damage, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, sickened, stunned, and poisoned.
Litany can stay dormant within a target who takes no damage for 5 rounds before the energy winks out, at which point the spell heals the current target 250 hit points, whether he has taken damage or not, before the spell dissipates. However, if a target blessed with litany takes damage, the healing effect occurs as per stated above, and jumps to the nearest ally within a 30’ range, whereupon it stays dormant for the remaining number of rounds, or heals the target whenever he or she next takes damage. Litany can not be active in any capacity for more than 5 rounds, or heal more than 1000 damage in total.

Aran Banks
2010-09-28, 10:38 PM
It's like heal, but with a special trigger (waitaminute.... dying... at level 17+? WHUT?). To be honest, I'd change it so the effect automatically heals the target up to max HP, then hangs out inside of them. Any time they'd take damage, the seed heals them right afterwards. After healing 250 HP or lasting ONE MINUTE PER LEVEL (5 rounds is weaksauce. This should be a pre-battle buff), the seed disappears.

None of that seed-jumping and healing more than 250 HP. It's obnoxious.

Absynthyne
2010-09-29, 01:17 AM
That's an interesting take, but I think the essence of the spell is somewhat being overlooked. I am essentially looking to create a 3.5 version of the Warcraft spell Prayer of Mending - a spell that heals and jumps to *one* person per round for a limited number of rounds.
In many ways this is far less effective than a mass heal, which can heal far more allies for potentially far more damage overall (depending on the number of allies present). In that respect, I'm not even sure this spell should be 9th level.
Also considering that the spell's healing effect could be greatly wasted depending on how hard you are hit - if you get hit for 60 damage, that's 190 ineffective healing that you receive regardless of how hurt you are.
I definitely agree with the duration issue, though I'm not aiming for pre-battle buffing so 1 min/caster level would be a bit long.

Lysander
2010-09-29, 10:08 AM
So the idea is for five rounds one random ally recovers from damage or negative conditions they took. It's interesting but a little hard to adjudicate in battle. How do you decide which ally it jumps to if more than one is equally distant? What counts as an ally? Do familiars and mounts or summoned creatures also count as allies? What happens if there isn't an ally within range, is it wasted?

Absynthyne
2010-09-30, 05:35 PM
After a lot of forum-hopping and input, I submitted the spell for DM approval. Here is the resulting spell. Feel free to use with any Warcraft-compatible games if you like.

Litany
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Priest 9
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Special
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Litany enables you to place a seed of dormant positive energy into an allied creature. The seed has no effect until the target takes damage, at which point the seed erupts, healing the target for 10 hit points of damage per level of the caster, to a maximum of 200 points at 20th level and ending any and all of the following adverse conditions affecting the target: ability damage, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, sickened, stunned, and poisoned.
If a target blessed with litany takes damage, the healing effect occurs as per stated above, and jumps to any ally of the caster’s choosing within the spell‘s range, whereupon it stays dormant for the number of remaining rounds until the target takes damage or suffers any of the aforementioned negative conditions. If no ally is within range, the seed winks out of existence after healing the current target. This effect cannot occur more than once per round.
Litany does not remove negative levels, restore permanently drained levels, or restore permanently drained ability score points.