PDA

View Full Version : The best 1800gc item money can buy.

Nick_mi
2010-09-30, 09:49 AM
Looking for the most usefull overall item to buy for 1800 or less. I'm going to be a shifter barbarian, and I can start the game with an item of 1800 or less. It can be magical, or it can be mundane. So far people have suggested

Anklet of teleportation
Hat of disguise
Some item that heals me twice as fast from champions of valor.

So, yeah. Help a shifter out :P

Caliphbubba
2010-09-30, 10:01 AM
Healing Belt? always a wise choice I think.

Greenish
2010-09-30, 10:03 AM
Dukar Hand Coral has the advantage of not taking an item slot, as well as being very hard to notice and harder yet to steal.

The effects aren't huge though, double normal healing rate, you regenerate lost limbs, eyes and the like in a few days (but the only way to lose those in the first place is DM fiat), and can hold your breath underwater a bit longer.

Toliudar
2010-09-30, 10:24 AM
I'd add the least crystal of return, a weapon crystal that allows you to draw it as a free action. Go from standing and chatting to charging, leaping, swinging my greatsword goodness in the blink of an eye. Only 300gp, so might fit in with either a healing belt or anklet of translocation.

Nick_mi
2010-09-30, 10:26 AM
Ideally if people could post what books these come from that would be awesome. Also, this item has to come with me and have some sort of relative importance to my back history(aka never gonna throw it away) so that might have some relevance to it as well.

Greenish
2010-09-30, 10:28 AM
Healing Belt and weapon crystals are from MIC. Dukar Hand Coral you mentioned in the OP.

Caliphbubba
2010-09-30, 10:29 AM
Ideally if people could post what books these come from that would be awesome. Also, this item has to come with me and have some sort of relative importance to my back history(aka never gonna throw it away) so that might have some relevance to it as well.

Healing Belt and the Crystal of Return, Lesser and the Anklet are all from Magic Item Compendium I'm pretty sure.

Edit: Greenish is fast like swordsage.

dsmiles
2010-09-30, 10:35 AM
AFB, how much is the Haversack?

Greenish
2010-09-30, 10:37 AM
AFB, how much is the Haversack?Just a bit too much, 2 000 gp.

Nick_mi
2010-09-30, 11:03 AM
I'm kind of looking at Anklet of translocation

Anyone want to tell me all the super sweet things I can do with the ability to teleport 10 feet?

Ravens_cry
2010-09-30, 11:12 AM

Anyone want to tell me all the super sweet things I can do with the ability to teleport 10 feet?

Hop inside a large creatures threatened area for a full attack without incurring an attack of opportunity?

Tyger
2010-09-30, 11:23 AM

The reverse is true as well - teleport 10 feet away from someone that is threatening you, thus not provoking attacks of opportunity, then run like Hades! Or get into better position for your ranged attack, spell, whatever.

Nick_mi
2010-09-30, 11:34 AM
Sounds nifty.

Ruinix
2010-09-30, 11:42 AM

escape from any grapple. get out of that colosal worm that swallow u. mmm get flank position or get out of one. etc.

shadow_archmagi
2010-09-30, 12:27 PM
IIRC, it also allows you to do things like say

"What's this? A wall? Yeah like that's going to stop me"

Tharck
2010-09-30, 12:36 PM
Teleport 10 ft and pretend you're you, returning from the future back into the past to correct some horrible mistake!

Give people horrible Deja'Vu by knocking on a door, and when you're let in the person closes the door and has their back to you - teleport outside again and knock.

Keld Denar
2010-09-30, 02:21 PM
You can also, depending on your DM's interpretation of the conservation of momentum (or lack there-of) during astral travel, teleport from prone into standing position, or jump off a REALLY high cliff and teleport down the last 10' into a standing position on the ground, negating all falling damage. I'd check with your DM before you try either of those tricks though.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-30, 03:17 PM
Just a bit too much, 2 000 gp.

Saving for the haversack is not a bad option. There's a large number of handy items at this level of cost, but rarely one you'll use as much as a haversack.

Tharck
2010-09-30, 04:01 PM
Saving for the haversack is not a bad option. There's a large number of handy items at this level of cost, but rarely one you'll use as much as a haversack.

but according to the OP he has to have a special attatchment to the item he chooses, so if he was even able to choose 18,000gold pieces he would never spend them. Like the duck and his dime.

MonarchAnarch
2010-09-30, 04:09 PM
but according to the OP he has to have a special attatchment to the item he chooses, so if he was even able to choose 18,000gold pieces he would never spend them. Like the duck and his dime.

What Barbarian wouldn't love an item that let him regrow that arm he lost in the last huge battle? (From a berserker PoV)

Nick_mi
2010-09-30, 05:06 PM
@shadow You have to have line of site of where you are teleporting.

@Thark, yeah I start with the item and it can not cost more then 1800. So I can't have 3 500 items iether. One item, one shot, etc.

@monarch the shifter barbarian that is going warshaper and will have A: Morphic weapons to grow a new one B: Morphic healing and regrow it :P

Fax Celestis
2010-09-30, 05:08 PM
I recommend shifter clawbracers from Races of Eberron.

Nick_mi
2010-09-30, 05:15 PM
That would require me to be a razorclaw and I'm a longtooth. Plus it costs 4000 :(

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-30, 05:17 PM
I recommend shifter clawbracers from Races of Eberron.

Are those the ones that increase your claw danage when shifting? If so I second them, useful, fittinh fluff-wise and maybe you can convince your DM to let you enchant them as weapons and transfer the enchantment to the claws.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-30, 05:20 PM
That would require me to be a razorclaw and I'm a longtooth. Plus it costs 4000 :(

Really? Damn. I thought they were cheaper than that.

Nick_mi
2010-09-30, 05:27 PM
Yup. Though the headband with beads seems nice. I could get one with 12 bears on it to make myself super beefy

Forged Fury
2010-09-30, 05:30 PM
Looking for the most usefull overall item to buy for 1800 or less.

I don't know about useful but it would be hella fun to start off with a treasured family heirloom that turns out to be a Medallion of Thought Projection. Particularly in the hands of an uncouth Shifter Barbarian.

Lord Bingo
2010-09-30, 05:51 PM
I'd go for a healing belt and a magic bedroll.

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-30, 06:21 PM
For many builds, an Efficient Quiver/Quiver of Elohnna (Spelling?) is a solid buy. It's an obvious choice if you are an archer, but mages and other classes can benefit significantly as well.

Benly
2010-09-30, 06:24 PM
For many builds, an Efficient Quiver/Quiver of Elohnna (Spelling?) is a solid buy. It's an obvious choice if you are an archer, but mages and other classes can benefit significantly as well.

Or as we call it in my parts, the Adventurer's Golf Bag.

Nick_mi
2010-09-30, 06:26 PM
Yeah, saw those and thought they were pretty neat, but I am going to be all about the melee. And again, with morphic healing I won't need that belt.

Marnath
2010-09-30, 08:42 PM
Give people horrible Deja'Vu by knocking on a door, and when you're let in the person closes the door and has their back to you - teleport outside again and knock.

I totally need to try that some time.

WinWin
2010-09-30, 11:07 PM
Multiple items?

Everlasting rations, everfull mug and a magic bedroll are all under the cap. You will have enough left over for a few potions.

Single item

Sphere of awakening. Exactly 1800gp. Can use it to silently awaken people. Additionally it negates the penalties from fatigue and exhaustion. That includes the penalty a barbarian gets after they finish raging.

all in the MIC