PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e/Path] Questions for Other DMs

HunterOfJello
2010-09-30, 10:53 PM
I'm a still fairly inexperienced DM and am running my third campaign right now. It's a gestalt game with 2 players currently at level 5. The party consists of a super monk (Monk 4/Swordsage1//Warblade 5), super caster (Sorcerer 5/Wizard 5) and a dmpc healer + ranged support (Cleric 5//Ranger 5).

As for the questions:

1. What are some good ways to make combat more exciting and dangerous?

I can put in more powerful enemies in combat, but every enemy seems to either be a pushover or too much for them to handle. I wish I knew more information about DMing a gestalt game to handle this problem.

2. How much help should a DM give their players in leading them to solutions to problems? And what are some of the better methods for doing so?

Sometimes I feel like I'm treating my players like babys when I make suggestions, but I've also read threads that suggest making all plot elements and character elements as explicit and obvious as possible.

WarKitty
2010-09-30, 10:56 PM
1. Have your players give you character sheets. Figure out what they're not well prepared for and throw it at them. Give them time-sensitive missions, where they have to fight their way through before a trap goes off. Don't be afraid to cheat. Actually, cheat like mad. If bad guys are going down too fast give them more hit points. If they're not going down fast enough dock a few.

2. Let them roll a relevant ability check for a hint. They can try to solve on their own and roll when they're stuck.

jgumbyrx
2010-09-30, 11:31 PM
1st -- depending on campaign length, being in your 3rd campaign can mean that you are in deed a full-fledged DM .... give yourself a little more credit.

2nd -- I would typically recommend LOTS of experience before running gestalt (and even then, run a couple of one-offs before trying to do a whole campaign of it ...... which, come the think of it, doing one-offs of anything new is a good idea)

now .....
for gestalt, I generally do one of 2 things:

1) have all the monsters damage, etc. be effectively "empowered" or "maximized" ; possibly even add various qualities/effects to their stuff

2) gestalt the monster, preferably with what would be an appropriate "associated" class (even if the monster doesn't advance by levels). want to throw a dire boar at them? okay, load-up 7 levels worth of barbarian abilities or fighter feats. illithid? add 8 psion levels worth of PP and powers known.
feel free to adjust feats as needed.

method 1 is really easy to do on the fly. method 2 requires either lots of prep or having relative mastery of the game (being a good improviser doesn't hurt)

Dralnu
2010-10-01, 12:04 AM
I know what you mean about too weak/tough. Easiest way I fix it: terrain.

Terrain is a huge part of every battle. You can make monsters a lot tougher by putting them in a favorable environment. That way you don't have to resort to ramp their actual stats and be afraid of 1shotting people.

Examples:
1) Goblinoids might be too easy on an open field. How about ambushing the party from atop a high platform like a cliff with bows in hand? Muuuch better!

2) Everyone loves lava! Fights on top of an active volcano, either on the rim or on small platforms to reach the altar with the shiney artifact in the middle. Don't forget balance checks!

3) Afraid of heights? You might not like fighting on a high altitude rope bridge swarmed by mooks then. Especially if the mooks start cutting the rope...

4) Fighting inside of a dungeon room laden with traps. Kinda hard to watch out for pressure plates in the heat of battle.

Put monsters in favorable environments. This is huge. Putting monsters in areas that allow them to maximize their capabilities while (hopefully) hindering the adventurers and raise the challenge in manageable chunks. Examples:

5) Got cramped spaces, like narrow tunnels? Kobolds work well here, and other monsters that can make use of cramped spots.

6) Party have to swim through a huge underground lake in the cave to reach the secret room? Sucks that the lake holds a KRAKEN! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

All those examples are stuff that I've done in my games. I'm sure more people could add more examples. I took this suggestion from DMG and DMG2, I'm pretty sure you can find more examples there too.