PDA

View Full Version : Relic Help

jguy
2010-10-01, 01:36 AM
I am in need of creating a Relic for my BBEG to wield. The guy is a level 20 cleric of Zarus. I know the weapon is going to be a greatsword but other than that I am clueless.

I was thinking of something along the lines of having the Bane property for everything but humans and perhaps having some sort of Dominate person/monster effect on it. So any ideas/help guys?

WinWin
2010-10-01, 02:55 AM
Item Familliars... (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm#itemFamiliarGeneral)

Alternate rules from Unearthed Arcana and are open content. Basically a feat that improves an item as it's owner gains XP. Can be enchanted on top of the abilities it gains.

Not normally good for a game, but for a BBEG, it could be an exception. I would make the Sword an Intelligent item, then use one of the 'Special Purpose' powers for the Dominate effect.

holywhippet
2010-10-01, 04:37 AM
If you want to play dirty, give the sword the ability to cast plane shift on a successful hit - victim either makes a will save or gets shunted off to a random plane.

Otherwise, life drinking swords are popular. So is extra damage of some type.

jguy
2010-10-01, 09:30 AM
Is there some form of life-draining enchantment? All I know of is spell-storing weapons with vampiric touch in it. I know there are crystals that can heal up to 50 hit points in a day but that is all I can remember right now.

tyckspoon
2010-10-01, 09:57 AM
Off the top of my head..

Bodyfeeder weapons grant the user temp HP when they crit. Wounding weapons deal Con damage. The Life-Drinker (specific weapon) deals negative levels, and the weapon could be redone as a greatsword or just reverse-engineer the value of the ability. The Vampiric property adds a d6 of damage and heals you for whatever you deal with that extra d6 (recommend using a Greater Crystal of Lifedrinking instead, which guarantees 5 healing/hit up to 50 HP.) Spell-storing weapon to channel various life-drain-style spells. Bloodstone weapon to specialize in Vampiric Touch instead (Spell-storing, but only works with Vampiric Touch. On the plus side, it Empowers it for free.)

jguy
2010-10-01, 10:41 AM
Okay, this is what I have for now.

Item Familiar(Relic): Zarus's Will

+5 Wounding Bloodstone Adamantine Greatsword

Special Ability:
Lesser - Cure Moderate wounds 3/day
Lesser - Hold Person 3/day
Greater - Can cast Plane Shift 1/day on enemy (To whatever Zarus's plane is)

Dedicated Ability: To enslave all non-humans and bring every human to the path of Zarus.

Special Dedicated ability: When Zarus's Will strike an opponent, if they are not human, it gains the Bane ability for his or her race. When used against Humans, Zarus's will gained the Merciful ability and deals non-lethal damage.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-01, 10:47 AM
I say you should only make it a +3 and give him a bit more useful special enchantments, if you have MIC I am a fan of Illusion bane to deal with pesky spellcaster defenses....maybe speed?

jguy
2010-10-01, 10:59 AM
I say you should only make it a +3 and give him a bit more useful special enchantments, if you have MIC I am a fan of Illusion bane to deal with pesky spellcaster defenses....maybe speed?

You know, considering he is a cleric with Greater Magic Weapon, it could be +1 with a bunch of enchantments but I didn't want to be too cheesy. What you say makes sense though. I was thinking either +3 with Greater Dispelling, with Illusion Bane + Mighty Smiting (he has a lot of smites actually) or +2 with Speed enchantment on it.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-01, 11:00 AM
I like the greater dispelling idea.

jguy
2010-10-01, 11:39 AM
His sword is going to break the action economy. As it should!

Choco
2010-10-01, 11:55 AM
Whatever you do, make sure you have a way to keep it away from the PC's when (not if) they pull an upset and defeat him.

If you want to be REALLY evil, make it so the sword is the villain and just happened to be posessing the guys body. That way when a PC loots the sword to use it and fails a will save (make it a high DC and once every hour or so) they then become the lvl 20 cleric villain :smallamused:

jguy
2010-10-01, 11:58 AM
Awesome idea, though I think it's going to be more like the Sword of Kas in that respect. Kas was still an evil SoB but using his sword will make you the same. If a human uses it they will become a extreme xenophobe who worships Zarus and if a non-human wields it...um...that planeshift will come into play and Zarus will not be happy.