PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler Races plz

TechnOkami
2010-10-02, 05:07 AM
I've seen the new beguiler handbook, but there's got to be more than what's in there. So, playgrounders, what other races can you dig out of the sandbox for me?

Primarily I want Int and Dex, Cha is optional.

Play on little giants... play on.

Morph Bark
2010-10-02, 05:12 AM
If Cha is only optional, Tiefling. :smallamused:

What LA can you work with? Drow gives to all three after all... though if you gotta go with LA+0 Lesser Drow might work.

Or just go Grey Elf.

Greenish
2010-10-02, 05:51 AM
I forget if the handbook mentions them, but kobolds, man, kobolds.

Kosjsjach
2010-10-02, 06:01 AM
I really like forest gnomes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/gnome.htm#forestGnome), myself. They're strictly better than regular gnomes (stealth bonuses), and they keep the racial +1 to Illusion DCs. (They're also great for entry into Shadowcraft Mage).

Amphetryon
2010-10-02, 06:26 AM
Sun Elves, if your playstyle and rolls can support the CON hit.

WinWin
2010-10-02, 06:42 AM
Probably a poor choice, but Yuan Ti purebloods gain +2 int/dex/cha

Khatoblepas
2010-10-02, 06:58 AM
My vote goes to the Beguiler (Shining South).
+2 Int, +6 Dex(afb, so not sure), Small, and with True Sight always active. Prehensile tail for wielding more wands in.

A Beguiler Beguiler is always optimized.

gorfnab
2010-10-02, 07:59 AM
+2 Int, +6 Dex(afb, so not sure), Small, and with True Sight always active. Prehensile tail for wielding more wands in.

I played a Beguiler Beguiler in a recent campaign and it worked quite nicely. Really the only downside was the -4 str which bags of holding or handy haversacks basically negate the need for anyways. Just take Weapon Finesse and you'll not have to worry about making melee attacks, especially if you want to use the Beguiler's Bite/Claw/Claw/Rake routine (1 level of Rogue or Spellthief, two levels of Unseen Seer for Hunters Eye, and the feat Craven makes this very amuzing).

TechnOkami
2010-10-03, 01:54 AM
Probably a poor choice, but Yuan Ti purebloods gain +2 int/dex/cha

I think this one has captured my heart.

Between a Drow Beguiler, a Grey Elf Beguiler, a Tiefling Beguiler, and a Beguiler Beguiler, the Yuan-ti Beguiler won.

At least I think it has. Anyone care to disprove why I should choose otherwise?

Saintheart
2010-10-03, 04:04 AM
Changeling. Dip a level of mindbender at level 7 and you've got all the prerequisites for Mindsight from Lords of Madness. Seeing every mind within 100 feet for a beguiler is gold.

Morph Bark
2010-10-03, 04:57 AM

Between a Drow Beguiler, a Grey Elf Beguiler, a Tiefling Beguiler, and a Beguiler Beguiler, the Yuan-ti Beguiler won.

...the four racial HD you have to start with and the LA of +2?

WinWin
2010-10-03, 04:59 AM

Keep in mind the Yuan Ti has 4 RHD and a +2 LA. The psionic version (XPH) gives a few decent abilities in exchange for these lost levels though. A charm person/monster effect at will, SR and an infinite supply of viper venom among other things.

Tytalus
2010-10-03, 09:54 AM

Sadly, it's not a PC-suitable race (see LA entry).

Khatoblepas
2010-10-03, 10:29 AM
Sadly, it's not a PC-suitable race (see LA entry).

I'm not seeing what disqualifies it from being a PC. It's LA+0. The Cohort tag just is an indicator that it might be a good cohort, like a Blink Dog, and might be a little strange as a PC. If it was LA --, it would not be a suitable PC. And even then, people have assigned LAs to those things before.

Besides which, it speaks Common, can wield a weapon, and it's picture shows it scribing a book. Can you really convince anyone that it doesn't have the necessary intelligence, appendages, or chutzpah to be an adventurer? Any creature that can be a cohort can also be a PC. That's like saying squires can never be knights. Heck, if you want to get fussy about it: The Beguiler was the cohort of a wizard who took Apprentice/Master. The Master died. Beguiler is carrying on his work. A voila, a Level 1 Beguiler Beguiler with a little stub of a backstory and was legitimately once a cohort.

And as for the Yuan-Ti, as cool as they are, what they get in exchange for SIX CLASS LEVELS is certainly not worth it. It will mean you're three spell levels behind, and while other casters are casting powerful 3rd level spells, you're stuck with your first level spells, which just aren't competitive enough at the level you get to be a Yuan-Ti Pureblood.

Greenish
2010-10-03, 10:55 AM
I'm not seeing what disqualifies it from being a PC. It's LA+0. The Cohort tag just is an indicator that it might be a good cohort, like a Blink Dog, and might be a little strange as a PC.That's a curious reading. I'd be inclined to agree that it's not intended for a PC, but I'd also add that "not intended for" is not the same as "not suited for".

grarrrg
2010-10-03, 11:03 AM
if you want to use the Beguiler's Bite/Claw/Claw/Rake routine

Beguilers don't get Bite/Claw attacks.
OH! You meant the Beguiler....

WotC FTL