PDA

View Full Version : Demiplane strongholds

Ormur
2010-10-02, 01:25 PM
As an aspiring high level paranoid wizard player I plan on taking genesis in a few levels when I finally get 9th level spells.

Regrettably I imagine there will be some logistical difficulties in settling down there. I took the landlord feat as soon as I could and thus I already have a sizeable stronghold on the material plane.

When finally I cast genesis and create my own demiplane how can I transport my home there by expanding as few spells and resources as possible so as not to waste all the resources invested in the stronghold already?

I've only thought of two ways so far and they're both pretty expensive in either time or money. The first was simply casting shrink item on the entire stronghold and then pushing it through a gate spell. The second was buying the plane shifting mobility type for the whole stronghold. I made the calculations and it would take about 100 castings of shrink item to shrink each stronghold space at caster level 20 and I expect my stronghold to compromise at least 15-20 such by the time. The second would cost 15,000 gp per stronghold space and even with the landlord feat that would take at least two levels worth of funds. That's pretty wasteful since I only need to do it once, not once per day.

Creative solutions appreciated. A discussion of cool ideas for demiplanar strongholds in general would also be very interesting.

vampire2948
2010-10-02, 01:32 PM
Research a new spell.

Or wish for it.

Ormur
2010-10-02, 01:45 PM
Damn, it never occurred to me. Thanks. :smallredface:

Well that solves it then, as long as the DM doesn't corrupt it somehow, but I guess it would be a reasonable request.

And here I was expecting something convoluted involving custom magic item guidelines, spurious rules interpretation, a few slices of cheese and preferably some dead catgirls.

Cogidubnus
2010-10-02, 03:32 PM
Damn, it never occurred to me. Thanks. :smallredface:

Well that solves it then, as long as the DM doesn't corrupt it somehow, but I guess it would be a reasonable request.

And here I was expecting something convoluted involving custom magic item guidelines, spurious rules interpretation, a few slices of cheese and preferably some dead catgirls.

Wish is the easy one. The fun one would abusing the Gate feature of the Candle of Invocation, casting Geas on every extraplanar creature you summon, using a 9th level spell to Gate to your demiplane (free) and making the creatures transplant it perfectly from one to the other.

But that's probably evil...

Lysander
2010-10-02, 05:11 PM
Research a new spell.

Or wish for it.

A custom "Teleporting House" spell would be neat. A wizard moving their home around is a staple of fantasy. And it would keep being useful. You wouldn't need to keep your stronghold in your demiplane all the time, it could travel with you.

Marnath
2010-10-02, 05:17 PM
A custom "Teleporting House" spell would be neat. A wizard moving their home around is a staple of fantasy. And it would keep being useful. You wouldn't need to keep your stronghold in your demiplane all the time, it could travel with you.

That's what the afore-mentioned plane jumping enhancement is for.

Lysander
2010-10-02, 05:21 PM
That's what the afore-mentioned plane jumping enhancement is for.

But you could also research a spell for it, rather than it being a property of the building itself.

Ernir
2010-10-02, 05:59 PM
Transport Stronghold

As you complete the spell, you tap the fork against the building with one final, dramatic gesture. With a pop, the surrounding landscape changes to that of another plane.

Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, M, F
Casting Time: 8 hours
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One building, of a size up to one stronghold space/level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You move the targeted building and any creatures within to another plane of existence. The movement is as precise as the Teleport (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/teleport.htm) spell, but the arrival on the correct plane is assured.
This spell can never place a building in a location where it could not be safely built (such as on ground made of solid rock or adamantine, or in mid-air for non-flying buildings). If this is attempted (such as due to an off-target/mishap coming up when deciding the outcome of the spell, or situations on the target plane having changed since the caster last viewed it), the spell fails.

Focus
A small, forked metal rod. The size and metal type dictates to which plane of existence or alternate dimension the spell sends the affected building.

Material Component
Amber dust to cover each stronghold space to be transported (cost 1000 gp per stronghold space).

Jallorn
2010-10-02, 06:51 PM
In Howl's Moving House (I think that's what it's called) the house is actually several houses, or at least, the outside is several different ones. Each one's front door is magically connected to an inside from which one can choose to exit any of the doors. Maybe you can do something like that?

Alleran
2010-10-02, 07:07 PM
I believe that there is a 9th level Dragon Magic spell (Dragon #308 or so, if I remember rightly) that can be used to completely lift up and transport a "lair" (i.e your stronghold) from the Material Plane to any place on another plane (such as your demiplane). It even makes sure that the stronghold won't be damaged by the planar traits of the plane you take it to.

Ormur
2010-10-02, 07:25 PM
Takk Ernir. :smallwink:

He's my DM so I guess that solves the problem. I just have to research that spell.

In Howl's Moving House (I think that's what it's called) the house is actually several houses, or at least, the outside is several different ones. Each one's front door is magically connected to an inside from which one can choose to exit any of the doors. Maybe you can do something like that?

It's Howl's Moving Castle actually. I was actually planning on doing something like that but it only requires a few portals or a single stronghold space with the plane shifting ability, which is considerably cheaper than doing it to the whole stronghold. I imagined it would work so that at certain hours one room is connected to your stronghold as usual but the rest of the time it plane shifts to certain locations on other planes.

Then there is of course the multiplanar stronghold from SBG which is pretty cool but for security purposes I'd probably want to keep most of my stronghold back home on the demiplane. It can also be given some beneficial traits, even though I would never go so far as to mess with the time traits.

But are there any creative ideas for how to combine genesis and strongholds?

A sphere 180 ft in radius is actually pretty big but the classic idea would be to have gravity pull at the inner surface of the sphere to maximise the square measure. Of course subjective variable gravity would use the space even better but it would be less comfortable.