PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard issues, help please~

Meirnon
2010-10-03, 12:03 AM
Okay, I first noted this problem when playing a game where I could configure the controls earlier. Every letter and number key that was not on the numpad registered as a cycling number, 0-9. No matter what key I pressed, it increased the number it registered by 1. I could press the A key 10 times to from 5 to 6 and all the way back to 5.

Now, this wasn't a problem when it came to the game, as I could reconfigure to play solely for the numpad. Now I'm trying to play DDO and it's becoming an issue. I can't move or type or do anything I need to to play. At first I thought it was a glitch because of the game. Now it seems to be a keyboard problem, and I need help. So, any ideas as to 1) what caused this and 2) how to fix it, I'd appreciate it.

As for the computer, it's a G550 lenovo laptop, with an internal keyboard.

Erloas
2010-10-03, 12:33 AM
Take the keyboard apart and clean it, especially make sure the cable connecting it to the computer is well seated. I think most laptops have a flat ribbon cable and they can come part of the way out. It sounds like the sort of problem that could be fixed by just taking everything apart and putting it back together.

If that doesn't work then get an external USB keyboard and use that instead.

Gullara
2010-10-03, 12:45 AM
I think we need to make a new sticky thread and call it "Erloas' Computer Help".:smallbiggrin:

Meirnon
2010-10-03, 12:47 AM
Take the keyboard apart and clean it, especially make sure the cable connecting it to the computer is well seated. I think most laptops have a flat ribbon cable and they can come part of the way out. It sounds like the sort of problem that could be fixed by just taking everything apart and putting it back together.

If that doesn't work then get an external USB keyboard and use that instead.

Lulz. You over-estimate my capabilities. I literally have nothing to take the thing apart, and I still have a warranty I don't want to void. And from what I can tell, I'm not the only person who's experienced this problem with this laptop, although it seems rare as I've only found 1 other post on any forum about it via google search ("Lenovo g550 keyboard problem").

As for the external, that may be an option if I could afford one. I spent all my money on this laptop (haha... :smallfrown:), so I'm basically just looking for a way to enjoy my gaming. I don't think it's the entire keyboard, as it's just the A-Z and 1-0 keys that have this problem.

I'm going to call customer support tomorrow, but I'm asking GiTP first because this forum has always been helpful.

factotum
2010-10-03, 01:07 AM
Question: does this happen outside of games as well, or is it only in them? If it's across the board, and your laptop is still under warranty, you're best off getting it sorted under that, because it sounds like a hardware issue.

Meirnon
2010-10-03, 02:00 AM
Question: does this happen outside of games as well, or is it only in them? If it's across the board, and your laptop is still under warranty, you're best off getting it sorted under that, because it sounds like a hardware issue.

I can type just fine, but when it comes to games that need an adjustable, assigned input for actions, the cycling 0-9 happens. :smallfrown:

Erloas
2010-10-03, 09:28 AM
So it is only in games, but it seems to be in all games... Then I don't think it is a hardware issue, but rather some sort of setting problem.

I did a search and found a couple other people with similar problems using other types of laptops. One potential solution I found was

Problem#2 - My Laptop Keyboard Types Wrong Characters

When your laptop keyboard types wrong characters, it is because of a software problem and not a hardware one. If you accidentally press specific keys on your keyboard, it can activate a particular function responsible for the problem.

Troubleshooting Steps
Select the control panel option
Click on → 'Regional and Language Services' → 'Languages' → 'Details' → 'Key Settings'
Choose the option 'Switch Between Input Languages' and click on 'Change Key Sequence'
Make sure that all the check boxes in the window are unchecked and repeat the same for 'Switch to..... (Keyboard Type)'
Click →'Ok' → 'Ok' → 'Apply' → 'Ok'.
Problem#3 - My Laptop Keyboard Types Numbers Instead of Letters

This is another laptop keyboard problem due to some software issue. It is possible you may have enabled a digital lock unknowingly.

Troubleshooting Steps

Pressing the 'Function' key along with the 'Num lock' key (Fn + Numlock) or press the 'Function' Key along with the 'Shift' and 'Num Lock' key (Fn +Shift + NumLock). This will disable the lock and consequently solve your problem.
So give that a try and see what happens.

Meirnon
2010-10-03, 02:23 PM
So it is only in games, but it seems to be in all games... Then I don't think it is a hardware issue, but rather some sort of setting problem.

I did a search and found a couple other people with similar problems using other types of laptops. One potential solution I found was

So give that a try and see what happens.

Okay, I'm looking through the options. As I have windows 7, the steps are a bit different to get to the same solution, but I got myself all the way up to "Change Key Sequence". As soon as I open that, though, there are no check boxes, instead 2 4-option dot-boxes (the ones that always need an input). They are Switch Input Language (with the options: Not assigned, Ctrl+Shift, Left Alt+Shift, and Grave Accent ('), of which Left Alt+Shift is checked) and Switch Keyboard Layout (with the same options, but Ctrl+Shift checked).

As for the Fn+Shift+Numpad, I think that that issue only deals with laptops with an integrated numpad. My numpad is actually separate from the rest of the keyboard. :smallconfused:

Thanks for the help, I'm going to be toying with it for the moment. If there were a karma option in this forum, you'd all get +1's every post. Instead, accept my generic offering of a cookie. (::)

Meirnon
2010-10-06, 10:13 PM
Okay, found something out. When I hold the CTRL button while I do stuff on DDO, it generally has the effect of me being able to do stuff. Not all of the keys work like that, and it's a bit iffy, but I have about half of my original functionality like that. Ideas?

Meirnon
2010-10-24, 10:43 PM
Bump for help, please? :smallfrown:

crunchh
2011-02-08, 10:12 PM
BUMP

i have same problem but everywhere now ( i have to post this from other computer)

I tried to plugging a usb keyboard (didn t work)
uninstalling keyboard drivers
changing keyboard language

all innefective

when i type keys with crtl i get the righ key
i belive it is some kind of num lock thing but it is strange because the virstual on screen keyboard works fine

the strangest thing is this cycling numbers behaviour

my next troubleshooting is buying a logitech keyboard but would like to avoid it

Meirnon
2011-02-09, 01:20 AM
When I asked about this to the tech support, the answer I received was that a security program (which one I don't remember, but it looked like a silver padlock with a yellow circle in the middle, like the ones you put on your locker in school) sometimes gets set off and randomly starts encrypting your keystrokes. So, see if you have something vaguely reminiscent of what I just said, ask yourself if you're willing to uninstall it if it may help your problem, then don't get scared when your computer asks to reboot and maybe does a consistency check (mine did, everything was fine). If nothing else, call your tech support people.:smalltongue:

DarkCalvin
2011-07-16, 07:14 AM
I uninstalled programs that were loaded since the last time I remembered playing correctly sorted by install date (which was a while ago for some reason) ignoring windows updates and programs I knew were most likely safe. The deleted ones included some coupon hotbar programs, some old high school study courses and something called GuardID. This solved the problem for me in the 2 games I was playing (DDO & Mass Effect 2 on Steam) which was exactly the same problem described - that the keys worked fine outside of games, changed to numbers inside of games. After deleting these programs [probably the GuardID based on Meirnon's last post (btw big thanks Meirnon for that last post)] everything immediately worked as it should. Hope this helps anyone else with this extremely irritating problem! Just delete new programs beginning with any protection type programs.