PDA

View Full Version : New character help

Silus
2010-10-03, 10:02 PM
Ok, I'll keep this short and sweet. I need a broken character concept for a level 3-5. The DM in question has a nasty habit of killing my characters, be it through direct actions on his part, or by indirect actions (such as situations where a PC's curiosity will lead to them getting killed). In short, D&D is slowly becoming not fun, and I feel a game breaking is in order (that, or I'll just take a break, drop out of the campaign, and wait on my friend to finish his world building).

Requirements:
1. No spell casting classes. It's a low magic world.
2. No psionics. It's like a 2% chance or something to get the ability anyway.
3. No humans. They up and died out.

So anyway, help would be greatly appreciated. I'm about at my wits end here.

WarKitty
2010-10-03, 10:19 PM
No spellcasting at all? That includes such classes as ranger and paladin?

There's always using diplomacy...

Silus
2010-10-03, 10:21 PM
I think those are allowed, but the Ranger gets extra feats instead of spells. Not sure on the Paladin.

Kylarra
2010-10-03, 10:22 PM
I would, uh, recommend against trying to get revenge via character very strongly.

Silus
2010-10-03, 10:27 PM
Well, what would you recommend then? Always open for suggestions.

BTW, the DM runs a DM vs PC game.

Kylarra
2010-10-03, 10:30 PM
Talking to the DM? Or just dropping out if that doesn't work. DM vs PC is a very thin line and if it's no longer being fun, then trying to get revenge via character build will just have you fiat-ed to death if nothing else.

Silus
2010-10-03, 10:33 PM
Well he's already killed three of my characters already (The first was by throwing a lvl 20 Psion/Rogue at us when were were like lvl 5 :smallmad:), and he's openly admitted that we're going to need broken characters to survive this new campaign.

JKTrickster
2010-10-03, 10:38 PM
Well that doesn't necessarily mean he is trying to challenge you into making broken builds....

I would also recommend that you talk to the DM that this is no longer fun for you and that you want to change the style of play. How do the others feel about this? Are they getting killed as much as you are? Are they unhappy as well? If there is a general consensus, this particular DM should change into a another better game.

On the other hand, he could be a complete jerk.....

but any "broken" build you have wouldn't matter if the DM just fiats you anyway. So trying to "break the game" might not work as well as you think.

Kylarra
2010-10-03, 10:40 PM
Well he's already killed three of my characters already (The first was by throwing a lvl 20 Psion/Rogue at us when were were like lvl 5 :smallmad:), and he's openly admitted that we're going to need broken characters to survive this new campaign.Short of a diplomancer (maybe) or Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu, any "broken" build that you build at 3-5 is going to die to a level 20 psion without breaking a sweat. Ergo, you need to talk to the DM about toning it down or altering the playstyle somewhat, since it is obviously not working for you.

Silus
2010-10-03, 10:52 PM
Well the way things are progressing, it seems like he takes some fiendish delight in killing off our characters. I'm thinking he's realizing that the constant killing of my characters is starting to get to me (Can't speak for the others however).

And it's not like "Rocks fall, everyone dies lulz", but more like "You should have paid attention to all the little bits of fluff, because if you had, you wouldn't have an army of skeletons trying to kill your four-man party of lvl4's. Also, you need to stop five runners that area already 250-feet out from getting away, otherwise your patron God will smite you." It's difficult to the point of unfair.

Heck, I could run Tomb of Horrors and my characters would live longer.

Silus
2010-10-03, 10:54 PM
Short of a diplomancer (maybe) or Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu, any "broken" build that you build at 3-5 is going to die to a level 20 psion without breaking a sweat. Ergo, you need to talk to the DM about toning it down or altering the playstyle somewhat, since it is obviously not working for you.

Well we weren't even supposed to fight her apparently (She was the DM's old character). We just BARELY finished the mission by jacking a Spelljammer and using the cannons to blow up the objective. And apparently the only spell casters can pilot a Spelljammer, and there was one my character (A half-Machine ranger) could have piloted a ways away, but I was given no hints what so ever that it was there. :smallmad:

Kylarra
2010-10-04, 12:14 AM
Well we weren't even supposed to fight her apparently (She was the DM's old character). We just BARELY finished the mission by jacking a Spelljammer and using the cannons to blow up the objective. And apparently the only spell casters can pilot a Spelljammer, and there was one my character (A half-Machine ranger) could have piloted a ways away, but I was given no hints what so ever that it was there. :smallmad:This tells me it is time to leave the campaign.

Silus
2010-10-04, 12:52 AM
This tells me it is time to leave the campaign.

Well like I said, we were not even supposed to fight her, but the guy with the low Wisdom score attacked her (I ended up killing the guy at the end).

Of course, my character survived was but was demoted to a NPC, and now she's a deity's herald. But still, with the killing characters.

Also, there's not really any other DMs out there, so I'm kinda stuck.

Savannah
2010-10-04, 02:14 AM
Also, there's not really any other DMs out there, so I'm kinda stuck.

We've got a ton over here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)

Can't really help you with the rest, sorry.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-04, 02:32 AM
Yeah, I don't see a PC vs. DM war going well no matter how it goes. Four words, "Rock Falls, Everybody Dies." If your DM truly wishes to make your characters life a living, or dead, hell, they can do so with ease. Fighting fire with fire is likely to only make things worse.
Instead, try talking with the DM, find out what the deal is, if there even is a deal.It is possible that the DM uses a level of optimization that you are not comfortable with. If that turns out to be the case, there definitely is people willing to help you here.
Don't let the disagreement fester, but don't be rude either, try and reach some kind of understanding. And if all else fails, leave. Yeah, it sucks, it sucks a lot. But if you're not having fun, then why are you wasting your time with this?

cdrcjsn
2010-10-04, 02:59 AM
Well, if the DM sucks (which from your description, he really does), then why don't one of you players take up the gauntlet and run a game instead?

Staying in a game you hate is only gonna lead to bigger problems later on.

Earthwalker
2010-10-04, 04:00 AM
It seems that the GM didn’t attack you with a level 20 char, you attacked this level 20. Now it might not have been clear how suicidal that action was so you can’t blame the players.
So far this DM doesn’t seem to be DM v Players more on having a realistic world where everything the players meet can be defeated with combat. Of course It does worry me this NPC was a former character of his, that does sound warning bells.
The only time I have used an old PC of mine is to kill him off in the game world as a worf effect to scare the players.
I am going to copy the advice given, talk this over with the group and the DM. If all but you are having fun then it might be best to drop out.
If all but the DM are not having fun then he either needs to change style or you all find a new DM.

Silus
2010-10-04, 08:21 AM
Well, if the DM sucks (which from your description, he really does), then why don't one of you players take up the gauntlet and run a game instead?

Staying in a game you hate is only gonna lead to bigger problems later on.

Well the DM doesn't really suck, but he, well, let's just say he keeps a fully stocked supply of Chekhov's guns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov's_gun).

Example: For two sessions, vultures were following us. Then at the end of the second session, we find out that the vultures are familiars for the lead necromancer at this undead outpost, and the vulture had been spying on us. Cue attack.

Ruinix
2010-10-04, 08:59 AM
try to talk seriusly with ur DM.

if he don't understand the fact of he is been a jerk, then leave.
visit the closest comic store of ur neighborhood and try to find a new DM.

Silus
2010-10-04, 09:09 AM
I'll defiantly have a talk with him, see if he can't take the difficulty down from Insane to maybe just Hard or something.

Person_Man
2010-10-04, 09:17 AM
Well the DM doesn't really suck, but he, well, let's just say he keeps a fully stocked supply of Chekhov's guns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov's_gun).

Example: For two sessions, vultures were following us. Then at the end of the second session, we find out that the vultures are familiars for the lead necromancer at this undead outpost, and the vulture had been spying on us. Cue attack.

Conservation of detail is a players best friend. If your DM is fond of ambushes and falling rocks, then you should be hyper paranoid about every detail.

Silus
2010-10-04, 09:43 AM
Conservation of detail is a players best friend. If your DM is fond of ambushes and falling rocks, then you should be hyper paranoid about every detail.

While I agree, this DM takes things to the point of excessive, even breaking rules at times (The most recent example being a recently psionic creature blasting myself and a party member for 10-13 damage, despite them not having a character class and only a fistful of power points).

I don't remember the DM rolling any listen checks for the vultures, nor do I remember him rolling fortitude saves for the vultures flying around in a snowy, arctic environment. The fact that he's doing this via Skype doesn't help either. :smallannoyed:

But yes, talks will be had.