PDA

View Full Version : Quick Ranger Revision

Ziegander
2010-10-03, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure if it needs spells or maneuvers or anything special like that, but I just had this thought and I had to act on it. Let me know what you think.

The Ranger

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Grace of the Fey, Favored Terrain +1

2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Favored Terrain +1/1d6

3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Scent

4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Favored Terrain +2/1d6

5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Camouflage

6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|Favored Terrain +2/2d6

7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2|Guiding Beacon (AC)

8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2|Favored Terrain +3/2d6

9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+3|Flawless Stride

10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|Favored Terrain +3/3d6

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+3|Tremorsense

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+4|Favored Terrain (Planar) +4/3d6

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+4|Guiding Beacon (Saves)

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+4|Favored Terrain (Planar) +4/4d6

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+5|Hide in Plain Sight

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+5|Favored Terrain (Planar) +5/4d6

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Free Stride

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+6|Favored Terrain (Planar) +5/5d6

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+6|Guiding Beacon (Stride)

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|Favored Terrain (Planar) +6/5d6[/table]

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Craft, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Dungeoneering/Geography/Local/Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Search, Spot, Survival, Swim, and Tumble.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Grace of the Fey (Ex): Rangers get a +4 divine bonus to saving throws against Animals, Magical Beasts, Fey, or Giants. Further, they may communicate with such creatures, even if they have little intelligence, or do not share a language as if using Diplomacy. To do so the Ranger rolls 1d20 and adds a bonus equal to the number of Favored Terrains he has, or his Charisma modifier, whichever is higher. The starting attitudes of domestic animals are generally friendly, while wild animals usually start at unfriendly, and magical beasts, fey, and giants are assigned attitudes by the GM on a case by case basis. To use this ability the Ranger and the target creature must be able to clearly see each other and be within 30ft/favored terrain.

Favored Terrain (Ex): At first level, second level, and every even level thereafter choose one of the following terrains: Any*, Aquatic, Desert, Forest, Hills, Marsh, Mountains, Plains, Underground, or Urban**. Against creatures with the chosen terrain listed under their Environment entry, while you are actually in said terrain, you gain a +1 bonus to AC and saving throws. Starting at 2nd level, while you are actually in said terrain, you deal those creatures 1d6 additional damage and overcome their critical immunity or fortification properties. At 4th level and every four levels thereafter your bonus to AC and saving throws increases by 1. Every four levels after 2nd your bonus to damage increases by 1d6. The extra damage granted by this feature is not precision damage and therefore damages creatures that would normally be immune to sneak attack or critical hits. Finally, for each Favored Terrain you possess choose any skill you have at least 1 rank in. You may take 10 with the chosen skill at any time while you are in your chosen environment even if you would be threatened or distracted.

Starting at 12th level you may choose any specific Plane as one of your Favored Terrains, such as the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, the Infinite Layers of the Abyss, or the Elemental Plane of Fire, just to name a few.

*If you choose Any as one of your favored terrains you only get the bonuses from this ability against creatures with the Environment entry of Any, and you MAY NOT choose a skill when taking this Favored Terrain, nor can you take a 10 with any skills chosen through other terrains in just any terrain.

**If you choose Urban as one of your favored terrains you get the bonus against any creature that dwells in a permanent settlement of at least 400 creatures. You may choose a skill when you choose the Urban terrain.

Scent (Ex): Starting at 3rd level you gain the Scent quality (MM 314).

Camouflage (Ex): Starting at 5th level, while in any of your Favored Terrains you may use the Hide skill even if the terrain doesn't offer any cover or concealment.

Guiding Beacon (Ex): Starting at 7th level, allies within 30ft of you gain the AC bonus you derive from your Favored Terrains. At 13th level they gain the bonus to saves. At 19th level they share your Flawless and Free Stride features.

Flawless Stride (Ex): Starting at 9th level you ignore all negative effects of difficult terrain, including damage, and even if the terrain has been magically altered.

Tremorsense (Ex): Starting at 11th level you gain the Tremorsense quality out to 60ft (MM 316).

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Starting at 15th level, while in any of your Favored Terrains you may use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Free Stride (Ex): Starting at 17th level, during your turns only, you benefit from a constant Freedom of Movement effect as the spell.

Cidolfas
2010-10-04, 08:56 AM
For Favored Terrain, I think it would be cool to offer individual bonuses based on which plane you selected as well as the basic AC/save and damage bonuses. This would give the ranger a lot more flavor as far as individuality is concerned, similar to how fighters can be differentiated by their bonus feats and thus their fighting styles. You could then even make these benefits scale with level for more coolness, but you wouldn't necessarily want to do that depending on where you want the ranger to be power-wise.

Here are a few examples of what I mean, two of a simple one-time benefit and one of a scaling benefit:

Favored Plane (Baator): The toxic fumes of the Nine Hells have strengthened your respiratory and immune systems to superhuman levels. You are immune to inhaled poisons and gas-based effects (such as non-acidic gaseous breath weapons).

Favored Terrain (Desert): These favored terrain benefits are gained according to your ranger level.

1: Long exposure to harsh desert conditions have rendered you resistant the the effects of heat and cold (deserts are very cold at night). You are considered constantly under the effects of an endure elements spell.

6: Dust Devil - Survival of sandstorms has granted you the ability to see clearly and move normally even in conditions where such actions woul be difficult (such as a solid fog spell).

11: As a move action, you may kick up a cloud of sand at an opponent whom you threaten in melee, forcing them to make a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your ranger level + your Wisdom modifier) or be blinded for 1 round.

I picked those levels arbitrarily, so don't consider yourself bound to them by any stretch should you decide to use something like this. Figure out what works best based on what the benefits are (i.e. make sure they're level-approporiate) and at what levels you gain favored terrain bonuses. If you like those, I could probably help you think of more.

I think Favored Terrain really has potential, but I always thought the failing of the scout was that the AC received equal attention to damage. Unless you are a made defender, the best defense in D&D (in my opinion) is a good offense, especially if you're a ranger who specializes in hiding and probably shouldn't get ambushed too often. But the individual benefits who strengthen you by giving benefits that are not necessarily only applicable in that terrain, strengthening your power and making you more badass.

I hope that helps.

Eloel
2010-10-04, 09:40 AM
Couple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#favoredEnemyVariantFavore dEnvironment) sources (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/horizonWalker.htm) for ideas.