PDA

View Full Version : Which nonhumanoid races make good fangshields? (3.5)

realbombchu
2010-10-05, 11:57 AM
I like the fangshields of the Forgotten Realms (see Champions of Valor), but they don't allow humanoids as members. What would be a good racial choice then? I would prefer a magical beast with minimal racial hit dice and LA, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Greenish
2010-10-05, 12:01 PM
Killoren aren't hugely strong choice, but I sorta like 'em.

For magical beasts, well, they tend to have bunch of RHD and either - or punitively high LA. Beguiler is the only one with neither that comes to mind, but it's only listed as an option for a cohort.

[Edit]: Killoren are fey from Races of the Wild, Beguilers are from Shining South (which makes them 3.0, I think).

Snake-Aes
2010-10-05, 12:05 PM
Do they use the shape humanoid or the type humanoid as a restriction? You could always be an Elan...

Daelen
2010-10-05, 12:28 PM
Something I've always wanted to try, if I can find a campaign where I can use stuff from multiple campaign settings, is a Warforged Fangshield. Not sure how powerful, but it'd be fun.

realbombchu
2010-10-05, 12:44 PM
I think they forbid the humanoid type only, because some creatures with humanoid forms are allowed in the text examples. Good suggestions so far. I know this is a tall order, though, so I'll understand if there aren't many options.

Darrin
2010-10-05, 04:36 PM
LA +0 non-humanoid races:

Elan, aberration. XPH.
Synad, aberration. Complete Psionic.
Neraphim, outsider. Planar Handbook.
Duskling, fey. Magic of Incarnum.
Faun, fey. Deities & Demigods.
Jermlaine, fey. MM2.
Killoren, fey. RotW.
Warforged, living construct. ECS/MM3.

Hengeyokai might qualify under the shapeshifters with a non-humanoid form clause.

The Savage Progression Planetouched without LA, such as Aasimar or Tiefling, might work. They still count as outsiders.

Dragonwrought kobold might qualify, although that might be stretching a bit.

Of those choices... Duskling Totemist would be one of the stronger choices. If you can get DM approval, a Hengeyokai Crane or Sparrow would be fantastic (fly speed at ECL 1), and is a perfect fit for the fluff. Neraphim would probably be decent... not sure about the aberrations or fey, though.

realbombchu
2010-10-05, 09:35 PM
I might homebrew something instead.

I might've mentioned this before, but there are a lot of red-winged blackbirds where I live. I like them because they're so brave. Maybe a subrace of halflings that can become blackbirds would be cool.