PDA

View Full Version : How to get noticed

WarKitty
2010-10-05, 06:22 PM
So I thought I'd bring something to you. I noticed it primarily in our D&D group, but then realized that it affects everywhere. I am one of those people that just never seems to get noticed. If multiple people are talking, I almost always don't get noticed. I bring up points in discussions and no one takes any note, but when someone else brings up the same point it gets everyone talking. People tell me they literally didn't hear me or didn't notice I was trying to talk. It's getting sort of frustrating. I'm not what you'd call a shy person by any means, I enjoy social interaction and I'm fairly confident in it. I'm just puzzled.

Any ways to get people to, you know, notice you?

Skeppio
2010-10-05, 06:36 PM
I notice you on the forums if that helps.

Anyways, I'm not much help since I tended to stick to the sidelines. Maybe speak up or louder if you're not doing so already. I dunno, wear something that makes you look distinct or something. Whatever you think will make you stand out. Of course, I'm not suggesting walk around in a clown suit or anything ridiculous.

Hope that helps.

Rae Artemi
2010-10-05, 06:39 PM
May I ask how you speak, when speaking naturally, and also what your voice sounds like? I mean high or low, that kind of thing.

Gullara
2010-10-05, 06:41 PM
So I thought I'd bring something to you. I noticed it primarily in our D&D group, but then realized that it affects everywhere. I am one of those people that just never seems to get noticed. If multiple people are talking, I almost always don't get noticed. I bring up points in discussions and no one takes any note, but when someone else brings up the same point it gets everyone talking. People tell me they literally didn't hear me or didn't notice I was trying to talk. It's getting sort of frustrating. I'm not what you'd call a shy person by any means, I enjoy social interaction and I'm fairly confident in it. I'm just puzzled.

Did you guys here something?

:smalltongue:

Skeppio
2010-10-05, 06:45 PM
No, but I certainly did hear WarKitty asking for advice. :smalltongue:

Two can play at the jesting game, good sir.

But yeah, Rae brings up a good question. How do you speak to your friends? Are you a bit soft-spoken?

Rae Artemi
2010-10-05, 06:46 PM
Did you guys here something?

:smalltongue:

What does hereing something mean. I didn't hear anything, if that's what you meant. :smalltongue:

AtlanteanTroll
2010-10-05, 06:46 PM
Put balloons down your shirt.

Gullara
2010-10-05, 06:53 PM
No, but I certainly did hear WarKitty asking for advice. :smalltongue:

Two can play at the jesting game, good sir.

But yeah, Rae brings up a good question. How do you speak to your friends? Are you a bit soft-spoken?

*groans* I've got to stop doing that. :smalltongue:

Marnath
2010-10-05, 07:00 PM

I don't think that would help her much. At least not in getting the kind of attention she's talking about. I don't have any advice because I also have trouble getting my share of any given conversation. I suppose the difference here is that I do that by design. I don't socialize very well, so I usually avoid having to try.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-10-05, 07:00 PM
I'll throw stuff out there, you're free to pick and choose. Not all of it can be positive.

Talk loudly. I don't mean yell, I mean something like "lawyer courtroom talk," where people automatically turn to hear your voice

Brag.

Don't complain if that's one of the things you normally do often.

Wear more distinctive clothing. I don't mean turn emo, I mean if you normally wear jeans and a nondescript plain t-shirt, put on a snazzy dress shirt or something

Work on your posture. Nothing says "ignore me" like being hunched over and staring to the side.

On a related note, make eye contact. Nothing says "ignore me" like staring off to the side while quietly mumbling something. Except, perhaps, hunched shoulders. If you want a specific person to notice you, make eye contact with them first. Practice on yourself in the mirror and on photographs if you can't do it easily.

Work on your voice. Make it deeper and louder, practice with a microphone, or (what's even better), a webcam.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-10-05, 07:02 PM
This will sound asinine, but talk A LOT. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and whatnot.

Thajocoth
2010-10-05, 07:06 PM
Sit next to the DM.

I have a quieter voice than most and we've got 2 screamers at the table. Doing this worked for me.

WarKitty
2010-10-05, 07:38 PM
Ok. My usual voice is fairly quiet, to be fair. I have pretty much chronic allergies/dry mouth that makes it worse (trust me, I don't do well on allergy meds). As far as clothing...well I'm a goth. Trust me, people notice my *clothing*. Just apparently not my speech, whether I'm gothed out or not. I try to sit up but I'm not that good at it always, and I am frankly a very small person.

And yes, I'm already sitting next to the DM. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2010-10-05, 07:40 PM
Study your BRIAN BLESSED (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BRIANBLESSED).

Orzel
2010-10-05, 08:28 PM
Orzel's best attention grabbing phrases:

"Wait. Wait. Wait! Wait! WAIT! WAIT! WAAAAT-Ta-Ta-Ta-Ta!"
"... And that's when I shot him in the face."
"Booger. hehehe."

Moff Chumley
2010-10-05, 08:28 PM
Study your BRIAN BLESSED (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BRIANBLESSED).

This. Also, speaking in verse attracts attention pretty quickly. :smallbiggrin:

Thajocoth
2010-10-05, 08:44 PM
What about a bull horn? Set it real low, so your voice comes out normal.

blunk
2010-10-05, 09:13 PM
If multiple people are talking, I almost always don't get noticed.On this point, I second and third and fourth "eye contact". Specifically, if you have something to say, mainly make eye contact with the person who is talking (or generally dominating the conversation) and lean forward slightly. Shift eye contact to the others briefly in turn. Open your mouth when the talker hits a comma or period. Just generally make it clear that you're involved in the conversation and ready to add something. Pay attention to the ebb and flow of the conversation and choose your moment to jump in carefully - and talk over the end of the sentence if you have to.

I'm typically a quiet person myself, but I've learned to talk loudly when necessary. It's definitely something you get better with with practice.

Of course, if you're around a bunch of gamers, it's quite possible that the loudmouths won't pick up on your social cues anyway and just get louder to talk over you. If that's the case... well, there's a reason I choose my friends carefully.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-10-05, 09:13 PM
Try doing something visual when you want to say something. Like wave or hand or something. Something to get their attention on you, so they can listen to you when you talk.

Or snapping. That might work too.

shadow_archmagi
2010-10-05, 10:22 PM

This is a great plan because not only is there the OBVIOUS benefit, but when you really need attention, you can pop the balloons.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-10-05, 10:33 PM
This is a great plan because not only is there the OBVIOUS benefit, but when you really need attention, you can pop the balloons.

Or, if they're water balloons, throw them.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-05, 11:05 PM
Start a (sing-a-long) blog.

Moff Chumley
2010-10-05, 11:17 PM
Start a (sing-a-long) blog.

This idea is worse than useless. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-10-05, 11:26 PM
This idea is worse than useless. :smalltongue:

But it's entertaining!:smallbiggrin:

Em Blackleaf
2010-10-05, 11:35 PM
Oh man, I know how you feel. Every time I miss school and return the next day, there's this one kid in my circle of friends who takes it upon himself to inform me that he didn't even notice I was back because I was so quiet about halfway through the day.

Then again, he's kind of a prick.

But anyway, yeah. I used to be really shy and soft-spoken, then theater happened and well, you just can't take the theater out of the actor, and I haven't shut up since.

I can't say I know your demeanor or voice, but I think if you speak loud and clear (the way an actor projects- just think Captain Picard), stand up straight and proud and stop being so shy because there's no point (really, even if you screw up when you're trying to be slick, your friends won't disown you :smalltongue:) and all you have to do is be able to laugh at yourself if you end up looking dumb.

Just be yourself, only louder, I guess. Hope this helps!

KerfuffleMach2
2010-10-05, 11:37 PM
Oh man, I know how you feel. Every time I miss school and return the next day, there's this one kid in my circle of friends who takes it upon himself to inform me that he didn't even notice I was back because I was so quiet about halfway through the day.

Easy solution. Set him on fire.

Milskidasith
2010-10-05, 11:47 PM
Say genuinely insightful and/or funny things and act in a way that separates you as a unique individual. Also: Talk about things other people care about. If you come up with an awesome plan that happens to be hilarious, people will notice it. If you crack a funny joke, people will laugh. If you talk about irrelevant subject matter, no matter how insightful or funny, it won't get you noticed, at least not in a good way.

There isn't really any way to "be noticed" while still maintaining the very personality that got you to go unnoticed. I mean, you could try... but people notice people because of how they act (or what they look like), not just because they are there.

In short: Do things! Be funny! Be insightful! Be active! If your point is important, make sure to actually stand up for it!

Remmirath
2010-10-06, 02:26 AM
I'd bet on the quiet being the major factor. This tends to happen to me fairly frequently as well in groups or around loud people, but it never seems to happen when people aren't all talking at once or when there aren't many people.
I know now that I do speak very quietly, but I used to think I was speaking at a normal volume and everyone around me was shouting. I have somewhat over-sensitive hearing, I think. It's rather annoying.

I am rather shy as well, which doesn't help. I have been consistently trying to project more in normal conversation lately (I have no trouble projecting when onstage, but every time I try to do it otherwise I have less luck), and it seems to be helping, so... I guess that's the only advice I've got. Most of what's been said seem like good things to try, though.

shadow_archmagi
2010-10-06, 10:19 PM
Or, if they're water balloons, throw them.

Water balloons are heavy and can misfire. Then you'd left with a soaking wet t-shirt and-

oh hey, that works too.

WarKitty
2010-10-06, 10:28 PM
I'd bet on the quiet being the major factor. This tends to happen to me fairly frequently as well in groups or around loud people, but it never seems to happen when people aren't all talking at once or when there aren't many people.
I know now that I do speak very quietly, but I used to think I was speaking at a normal volume and everyone around me was shouting. I have somewhat over-sensitive hearing, I think. It's rather annoying.

I am rather shy as well, which doesn't help. I have been consistently trying to project more in normal conversation lately (I have no trouble projecting when onstage, but every time I try to do it otherwise I have less luck), and it seems to be helping, so... I guess that's the only advice I've got. Most of what's been said seem like good things to try, though.

Hmm that might be a good point. A lot of that sounds familiar - I have *extremely* sensitive hearing an a lot of people sound like they're always shouting to me (but no one else).

Tinkee
2010-10-06, 10:34 PM
Warkitty, there are several books out there dealing with body language and speaking in social settings. Im sure you could find several on body language at a library and either rent em, or just skim through them there if you have time. Ive actually finished a body language book about 2 months ago ( the name and author escapes me right now). It seems very helpful...seems that even the smallest movement or posturing can help you appear more confident. Alot of the body language books also go into how they can help during job interviews, or when meeting people who are generally cocky people and can show you how to put yourself on their level or make them feel like you have the upper hand in a conversation. Hope this helps! Whenever I get some time Ill see if I can find the body language book I read and ill pass on the info. It was a pretty entertaining read.

Moff Chumley
2010-10-07, 10:50 PM
I recommend loud music, in high concentrations and as many decibels as you can muster, until the problem resolves itself. :smallcool:

ghost_warlock
2010-10-07, 10:54 PM
Speak softly and carry a large stick. When you want attention, hit something with the stick.

Alternately, crinkling an empty pop/water bottle might work to get attention.

If you have a cell phone, test one of the ringtones with the volume set rather high.

Amiel
2010-10-07, 11:00 PM
I suggest crafting a sign-on-a-stick with the following words "Free Hugs."
Not only will it show your creative, artistic side, it's proof positive of your caring, nurturing side as well :)

Serpentine
2010-10-07, 11:07 PM
If there's a problem with people talking over you and interrupting and stuff, I find it useful, when I have something in particular to say, to raise my hand like I'm in class. It's quite impressive how quickly people will go quiet and pay attention to you. I think it's hardwired into us after years of school. It's also a pointed way of saying "I would like to talk but I can't get a word in edgewise because you're all crowding me out".

WarKitty
2010-10-07, 11:13 PM
Speak softly and carry a large stick. When you want attention, hit something with the stick.

Ironically I have actually done that. The stick was 5 and a half feet and had squirrel tails.

Amiel
2010-10-07, 11:15 PM
The raising of hands may only work occassionally; even in the classroom, if the talkative one is a bit of jerk to boot, they'll keep talking irrespective of the polite gesture. Incidently, there's also the matter of 'selective ignoring,' that is, choosing not to notice the gesture.

Complementary to Serp's suggestion, I would also like to advise clearing your throat to garner people's attention.

blunk
2010-10-07, 11:17 PM
I find it useful, when I have something in particular to say, to raise my hand like I'm in class.Or you can use the raised hand's older brother, the up-pointing finger.

Amiel
2010-10-07, 11:20 PM
Incidently (and perhaps randomly), get a megaphone perhaps? :)

Moff Chumley
2010-10-07, 11:35 PM
Ironically I have actually done that. The stick was 5 and a half feet and had squirrel tails.

Must... not... quote out of context! :smallfurious:

*fails will save*

*posts as Facebook status*

KerfuffleMach2
2010-10-07, 11:41 PM
The raising of hands may only work occassionally; even in the classroom, if the talkative one is a bit of jerk to boot, they'll keep talking irrespective of the polite gesture. Incidently, there's also the matter of 'selective ignoring,' that is, choosing not to notice the gesture.

Complementary to Serp's suggestion, I would also like to advise clearing your throat to garner people's attention.

Snapping or waving of hand may also add to it.

Serpentine
2010-10-08, 12:12 AM
Eh, I find that just sitting patiently and silently, although it takes longer, does a lot more to get full attention, and to drive home the "it would be nice if my view could be heard sometimes" point.

Amiel
2010-10-08, 12:48 AM
Alternatively;

Position your hands in the "clapped" position
Give another resounding clap with force
????
Profit

Gensh
2010-10-08, 01:11 AM
Eh. Sometimes there's just nothing that you can do. I have the same problem, and it turns out that being loud and having a strong personality on those occasions when I need to speak just results in a bunch of people saying, "Holy crap! That scared me! I didn't know you were there!" It helps a lot if you're hanging out with the right people, though; sometimes I have a lot easier time talking to complete strangers rather than my actual friends.

LCR
2010-10-08, 02:06 AM
Water balloons are heavy and can misfire. Then you'd left with a soaking wet t-shirt and-

oh hey, that works too.

Works better if you're a girl.

ghost_warlock
2010-10-08, 02:18 AM

I heartily approve.

Amiel
2010-10-08, 02:24 AM

oh hey, that works too.Works better if you're a girl.

You'll be able to get their clear and undivided attention. On the downside, you'll get too much attention

ghost_warlock
2010-10-08, 02:27 AM
You'll be able to get their clear and undivided attention. On the downside, you'll get too much attention

Also, depending on climate, risk hypothermia.

Amiel
2010-10-08, 02:35 AM
Also, depending on climate, risk hypothermia.

Which may cause some bits to stand to attention ;)

The quickest way to thawing out and remaining warm would be to give hugs, which incidently, is a great way to gather people's attention.

Coidzor
2010-10-08, 02:42 AM

Split the difference and just go for skin-tight mesh? :smallamused:

Warkity: Well, I'm loud and have been told I smile too much by some and that I have a great smile by others. When possible and engaging others in conversation, I generally seek to maintain eye contact.

So, basically, IIRC, I'm noticed, but I seem to instill a rather mixed bag of reactions for being noticed, so I'm not really sure how much of what I am could be useful to you even if you wanted to hear about it. Because it is a definite balancing act with projection. Overdo it even unconsciously and you get called out for being a lout for letting your voice carry more than you should. Is tricksy.

And am a 6'ish white male with a beard(generally), so that also contributes to people noticing me in such a way as to be useless to you... Though, on the other hand, not being physically categorized as a potential threat may have its upsides.

You sure he isn't just bad at flirting?

Amiel
2010-10-08, 02:54 AM
Split the difference and just go for skin-tight mesh? :smallamused:

That's a nice bit of lateral thinking right there; I like.
Also, if mesh isn't your thing, feel free to go for the spandex and/or latex.

2010-10-08, 03:22 AM
try a death glare, but only if youre good at it.

Amiel
2010-10-08, 03:26 AM
Best commercial ever; try doing that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gAQiXiFYKA

Brother Oni
2010-10-08, 06:35 AM
With regard to eye contact, bear in mind the culture and personality of the recipient.

Some cultures find making eye contact either rude or intimidating and will act accordingly.

Similarly, making eye contact with a belligerent or shy individual may have the opposite effect of what you're intending (either getting their attention for the former, or making them so uncomfortable that they withdraw even more for the latter).

Quincunx
2010-10-08, 07:22 AM

"With this dagger in my heart, I bid thee goodbye, cruel, cru-el world!"
*POP*
:smallredface: ". . .Er. . .Yeah. . .About that. . ."
(Note: threatening suicide is not advised as a way to get noticed, elsewise you attract the notice of smartasses like yours truly)

mangosta71
2010-10-08, 10:08 AM
I find that kicking people in the crotch gets their attention. Usually gets them to stop talking for a second, too. Alternately, a quick palm strike to the solar plexus will force the air out of their lungs.

Who says that violence isn't the answer?

Crow
2010-10-08, 10:16 AM
Act confidently in all you do. If you have outward confidence in what you're saying, (almost) all the things that people have mentioned in this thread will happen naturally.

As with anything, if you wan't people to take what you say seriously, you have to sell it. It's much easier to go along with the guy who looks, acts, and sounds confident in what he's saying, than with the guy who is somewhat timid or seems unsure of himself.

WarKitty
2010-10-08, 10:33 AM
Act confidently in all you do. If you have outward confidence in what you're saying, (almost) all the things that people have mentioned in this thread will happen naturally.

As with anything, if you wan't people to take what you say seriously, you have to sell it. It's much easier to go along with the guy who looks, acts, and sounds confident in what he's saying, than with the guy who is somewhat timid or seems unsure of himself.

Hehe. I don't think anyone has ever accused me of lacking self-confidence. I'm hardly a wallflower or shy by any means. Although...I have noticed certain speech patterns, like I say "I think" or "I feel" a lot more than most of my colleagues. It's very hard for me to be that direct, it feels like I'm being rude all the time.

I think the volume may be the biggest part. The way I was raised, speaking loudly was, well, undignified. Meant you didn't have anything to say and were making up for it in volume. But most people I know now say I speak very quietly.

Crow
2010-10-08, 10:44 AM
Hehe. I don't think anyone has ever accused me of lacking self-confidence. I'm hardly a wallflower or shy by any means. Although...I have noticed certain speech patterns, like I say "I think" or "I feel" a lot more than most of my colleagues. It's very hard for me to be that direct, it feels like I'm being rude all the time.

I think the volume may be the biggest part. The way I was raised, speaking loudly was, well, undignified. Meant you didn't have anything to say and were making up for it in volume. But most people I know now say I speak very quietly.

Well the solution isn't to speak loudly. Rather, speak at a volume that ensures the person farthest from your position can hear you clearly. ;)

mangosta71
2010-10-08, 10:46 AM
Ah, yes. I know that manner well. There were a bunch of people that were convinced that I couldn't speak Spanish while I was in Chile because I spoke so quietly that traffic on the streets would drown me out while I was inside. That old saying about people straining to hear a whisper when they won't listen to a shout is fecal matter issued by a male of the bovine family.

I'm still fairly soft-spoken, but not as much as I used to be.

Coidzor
2010-10-08, 11:08 AM
That's a nice bit of lateral thinking right there; I like.
Also, if mesh isn't your thing, feel free to go for the spandex and/or latex.

I have to admit, I cribbed the idea from an ex-roomie and the Family Guyization of Empire Strikes Back.

Warkitty: Train yourself out of it consciously then. Just like any other undesirable holdover from the way you were raised.

It's like writing an argumentative paper, after all. You don't need to say "I think," "I feel," because that's kind of implied by you saying it.

Brother Oni
2010-10-08, 12:08 PM

Pardon me if I'm over-stepping the mark, but saying 'I think' or 'I feel' all the time is a sign of a lack of confidence. If you're 100% sure of the validity of your statement, then just say it plainly, without any conditional 'get out clauses' in case the statement is wrong.

As for volume, just speak appropriate to the environment. What's more undignified - having to repeat yourself several times because people can't hear you, or speaking louder in a busy room so that you can be heard?

A friend was once telling me about her husband, who is a royal marine captain. When he's at home, he's quiet and almost shy but when he's around his men, he's loud, outspoken and confident almost to the point of arrogance.

Warkitty: Train yourself out of it consciously then. Just like any other undesirable holdover from the way you were raised.

It's like writing an argumentative paper, after all. You don't need to say "I think," "I feel," because that's kind of implied by you saying it.

I think you're under the mis-belief that speaking quietly is an undesirable trait.

Warkitty's use of 'I think' and 'I feel' may be related to her job, where use of direct language is undesirable depending on the circumstances. For example, I work in the pharmaceutical industry and in reports, I have to be careful not to use absolute and direct terms where the data doesn't conclusively support it.

WarKitty
2010-10-08, 12:10 PM
I think it's more that there's different thresholds for what people consider "speaking loudly." E.g. what I consider shouting seems to be what some of my other friends consider a normal speaking voice.

To be fair, oni, in this case my typical communication style isn't working.

Coidzor
2010-10-08, 12:15 PM
I think you're under the mis-belief that speaking quietly is an undesirable trait.

Warkitty's use of 'I think' and 'I feel' may be related to her job, where use of direct language is undesirable depending on the circumstances. For example, I work in the pharmaceutical industry and in reports, I have to be careful not to use absolute and direct terms where the data doesn't conclusively support it.

Oh, sure, there are contexts where speaking in such a way is appropriate. Given that we have no idea what warkitty's job is, and all I can recall from the bits of information is that warkitty is a university student, job-related concerns are essentially moot until they're actually on the table.

It's not our responsibility to acknowledge that X or Y is vital to someone's job when we don't even know their job.

Anyway, it is quite a stretch to extend such contexts to hanging out with friends. I don't buy what you're selling there at all.

And, since Warkitty is experiencing distress from this trait of being noticed (or rather, not) that she seems to possess, that would suggest it is ultimately undesirable.

Thus, if causes can be identified, changes can be recommended in order to compensate for them.

Anyway, I was replying to her most recent post where she was talking about how being "direct" was something she was brought up to consider "undignified."

Brother Oni
2010-10-08, 12:28 PM
Oh, sure, there are contexts where speaking in such a way is appropriate. Given that we have no idea what warkitty's job is, and all I can recall from the bits of information is that warkitty is a university student, job-related concerns are essentially moot until they're actually on the table.

It's just an example of why direct language may be unsuitable, rather than a final statement.

Anyway, it is quite a stretch to extend such contexts to hanging out with friends. I don't buy what you're selling there at all.

I'm also a fairly quiet speaker, simply because I have a stutter which I find extremely frustrating to deal with.
While I can use volume to make myself heard, I find it's more effective to use quality rather then quantity - I have a rather dirty sense of humour and if I was working in a stricter, more politically correct work environment, I'd have been bounced out on my ear years ago. :smallbiggrin:

Thus, if causes can be identified, changes can be recommended in order to compensate for them.

Anyway, I was replying to her most recent post where she was talking about how being "direct" was something she was brought up to consider "undignified."

I certainly agree with you here. Since warkitty is having issues and wishes to change, then we should all help her. The point I was making was that speaking quietly isn't necessarily an undesirable trait, just that warkitty needs to know when and where she can't speak as she normally would and either be more direct or be louder.

Em Blackleaf
2010-10-08, 06:18 PM
You sure he isn't just bad at flirting?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

That's a funny joke. Naw, he's just backhanded. And a little bitchy. And I'm sure he's better at flirting than that. xD I mean, it sounded mean. :x

Oh, please don't let that be flirting. That's just sad. And a little bit scary. >.<

Anyhow, I support the hitting people with sticks idea (the squirrel tails are a nice touch!). :smalltongue: And raising your hand to get attention. I do the latter sometimes and it works alright.

Maybe if you hit them enough, they'll be trained to listen to you. :smalltongue:

Oh also, shouting, "HEY LISTEN GUYS" would probably work.

Marnath
2010-10-08, 10:13 PM
Works better if you're a girl.

Warkitty is a girl. Physically at least. She's posted pictures in the You! thread before. But on topic, I approve of the idea of hitting them with a stick. :smalltongue: If I may, what's the story behind the squirrel tail stick?

Tonal Architect
2010-10-08, 10:52 PM
I used to go unnoticed as well, although I've learned how to get others to pay me attention through the use body languague, and mostly from proper use of voice. Volume, as well as timing, and not backing down from speaking once another person starts speaking simultaneously with you, play a great part in getting attention. Try experimenting with these variables.

Also, you should practice getting control over your voice's volume. Once you feel you can raise your voice with ease you'll notice it's far easier to get others to pay you attention.

By the way, do you have a high voice, or a low voice?

WarKitty
2010-10-08, 11:11 PM
I used to go unnoticed as well, although I've learned how to get others to pay me attention through the use body languague, and mostly from proper use of voice. Volume, as well as timing, and not backing down from speaking once another person starts speaking simultaneously with you, play a great part in getting attention. Try experimenting with these variables.

Also, you should practice getting control over your voice's volume. Once you feel you can raise your voice with ease you'll notice it's far easier to get others to pay you attention.

By the way, do you have a high voice, or a low voice?

Relatively low. I also almost constantly lose my sentence structure once someone else starts speaking. It's something sort of weird...I have some sort of thing where it's hard for me to put together sentences quickly, there's not really a name for it. Just like I have to actually stop and think "what order to the words go in?"

Tonal Architect
2010-10-08, 11:40 PM
Relatively low. I also almost constantly lose my sentence structure once someone else starts speaking. It's something sort of weird...I have some sort of thing where it's hard for me to put together sentences quickly, there's not really a name for it. Just like I have to actually stop and think "what order to the words go in?"

If you try to remain focused once others start speaking, you'll notice that this is nearly a contest of wills; whomever remains focused the longest gets to speak. I don't know why this happens, but it seems nearly archetypical of humans to do so. I can't comment on the way you put sentences to together, as I'll usually create sentences in a somewhat fast pace.

As for your voice's key, while low voices tend to have a lower volume output (usually), they have the potential to command attention with ease, or at least that's the case with a male voice. Still, you should be able to produce a lot more volume than your confortable speaking tone through speaking in a wee bit higher key, while still maintaining a low key due to your voice's natural tone, and that should help you command a whole lot of attention. Well, it works for me, at least.

Coidzor
2010-10-08, 11:55 PM
Warkitty: That is just plain weird. Like some kind of mental speaking dyslexia or something. :smallconfused:

So, do you come up with the words then say the completed sentence or form the sentence word by word as you put them into order in real time?

Oh, please don't let that be flirting. That's just sad. And a little bit scary. >.<

Hence, why, if it is, you might wanna put a stop to it.

Oh also, shouting, "HEY LISTEN GUYS" would probably work.

HEY! LOOK! LISTEN! (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=42)

Jimorian
2010-10-09, 03:29 AM
Do the opposite of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zekiZYSVdeQ).

Castaras
2010-10-09, 03:41 AM

*lurks in thread, stealing all the advice*
*has this problem too*

Wandiya
2010-10-09, 05:26 AM
*lurks in thread, stealing all the advice*
*has this problem too*

Steal my line much?:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

WarKitty
2010-10-09, 01:39 PM
I think the "physically female" part probably isn't helping; I'm in an extremely male-dominated area of study to the point of usually being the only girl in a class of 10 or so. My voice is low for the female range but not extremely so.

The sentence structure thing is hard to describe. For those of you who took a language, have you ever known all the words but just not been quite sure what order they go in? That's sort of what it is.

Em Blackleaf
2010-10-09, 05:01 PM
Hence, why, if it is, you might wanna put a stop to it.
Oh, that? No, I am 99.9% sure it's just him being a jerk. Or just being sarcastic, at best. He's not ten, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't mistake being a jerk for flirting. I'd know if he was flirting. If he was, I'd have him stop.
It's a bit early to be putting a stop to it; that would be like trying to put a stop to the possibility of ghosts (i.e. something that most likely doesn't exist). There has to be a better simile, but it's the best I could do. :smalltongue:

HEY! LOOK! LISTEN! (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=42)
<3

Don't be Navi, the fairy from Legend of Zelda. Everyone will hear you but no one will like you.

You should be more like... Lady Gaga! Everybody loves her! Dress oddly- that will most definitely get peoples' attention. Write catchy music if you can! That would help. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-10-09, 05:26 PM
Oh, that? No, I am 99.9% sure it's just him being a jerk. Or just being sarcastic, at best. He's not ten, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't mistake being a jerk for flirting. I'd know if he was flirting. If he was, I'd have him stop.

At your age honey, there's a fair number of guys who might as well be.

Heck, at my age there's a fair number of guys who might as well be. And that's about half a decade betwixt us.

12 Gods I feel old and wrinkly now.

You should be more like... Lady Gaga! Everybody loves her! Dress oddly- that will most definitely get peoples' attention. Write catchy music if you can! That would help. :smalltongue:

Sadly, I just don't think I've got the voice for it, I mean, I'm a tenor and all, but, yikes! And, well, I just don't have the right sort of hips for most of her outfits. :'(

I think the "physically female" part probably isn't helping; I'm in an extremely male-dominated area of study to the point of usually being the only girl in a class of 10 or so. My voice is low for the female range but not extremely so.

Ahh, Engineers. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i68cEsALWt0) I'm from a long line of them. Well, ok, a grandfather and his father and my big bro and older cousin are both becoming engineers.
Sometimes you've just gotta carry a big stick. :/ Well, that or ensure you always rack up more explosions.

The sentence structure thing is hard to describe. For those of you who took a language, have you ever known all the words but just not been quite sure what order they go in? That's sort of what it is.

Does that mean there's such a thing as verbal dyslexia and this might be some variant of it? :smallconfused:

Em Blackleaf
2010-10-09, 05:34 PM
At your age honey, there's a fair number of guys who might as well be.

Heck, at my age there's a fair number of guys who might as well be. And that's about half a decade betwixt us.

12 Gods I feel old and wrinkly now.
Oh, this particular guy doesn't seem like the "dumb at flirting" type. But I'll watch out for "suspicious behavior". :smalltongue:

Sadly, I just don't think I've got the voice for it, I mean, I'm a tenor and all, but, yikes! And, well, I just don't have the right sort of hips for most of her outfits. :'(
Oh, I don't know, she has a pretty middle-to-low range voice...

You don't need hips for nipple tape or high heels!
...There is now a mental image I need to get out of my head. >.< :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-10-09, 05:40 PM
...I think I'm glad I don't know what that first thing you said is.

On the other hand, I think it might be more appropriate to Warkitty. Probably not stylistically appropriate though, sadly.