PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Max Dex Bonus

Koury
2010-10-05, 07:23 PM
I'm a Swordsage with 22 Dex. My armor's max Dex bonus is +6. What are my options for raising max dex bonus? Special materials is all I can think of, but don't know any that work for leather.

gdiddy
2010-10-05, 07:36 PM
Nimble Armor enchant from Magic Item Compendium?

lsfreak
2010-10-05, 07:43 PM
Celestial armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#celestialArmor) is the best there is, pretty much. It could theoretically be made of mithril to increase max Dex even higher, and then be enchanted with Nimbleness (which you can do no matter what). Outside of that, downgrade to padded armor, thistledown, or go armorless with a Monk's Belt or something.

jguy
2010-10-05, 07:56 PM
I actually had to make custom armor for a friend who ended up with 32 dex. I went of celestial armor as a base and came up with Heaven's Silk. Mithril chainshirt that is enchanted with Fly (as per celestial armor) and cat's grace. All in all it cost around 42000 for +5 armor and +12 dex

Glimbur
2010-10-05, 08:06 PM
Gnome Twistcloth from Races of Stone has no max dex bonus. It's also kind of silly, but it is armor.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-10-05, 08:37 PM
Keep in mind max dex bonus ONLY applies to AC. It won't effect anything else[such as saves or attacks].

jguy
2010-10-05, 09:43 PM
Bracers of Armor have no max dex.

Koury
2010-10-05, 09:45 PM
Yeah, but aside from costing way too much, Swordsages need to be in light armor for their AC bonus.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-10-05, 09:53 PM
Mithral Chain Shirt has a +6 dex bonus to AC, so a Dex of 22 fits perfectly. It's light armor, with +4 armor bonus, so you'll see an increase in AC as well.

Koury
2010-10-05, 10:04 PM
Its a level 5 Jermaline (Tiny Fey) Rog3/Fgt1/SS1 at the moment. He's got 23 Dex (1 from level up). He bought +2 Dex gloves and reduced his armor to padded (which gives no AC for a tiny creature, assuming you round down, but can handle his +7 dex). Next level he gets his Wis to AC (and Shadow Blade), but yeah. Hes just trying to figure out what to do in the future about armor. He's liking the Nimble Celestial Armor. +9 Max Dex isn't bad, and he won't be missing too much of his AC by the time he can afford that and +6 gloves.

Sheet (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=38844), for those interested.

[Houserules Note For Those Looking At The Sheet]
Scythe was added as a Shadow Hand weapon and made finessable.
HP Maxed.
Fractional BAB
Minor handwaving with gear prices (hes up like 600 gp, but whatever)

Forged Fury
2010-10-05, 10:40 PM
Which gives no AC for a tiny creature, assuming you round down, but can handle his +7 dex.Not going to lie, I had no clue that rule existed until I looked it up in the SRD. Odd that it only appears in the table as a footnote. That's a pretty big deal! Thanks for pointing it out.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-10-05, 10:48 PM
Considering the penalties you take with armor on a tiny creature its best you switch to bracers of armor.

Zaydos
2010-10-05, 10:57 PM
Considering the penalties you take with armor on a tiny creature its best you switch to bracers of armor.

I think it's that he's using the RAW which says Swordsages only get Wis to AC in light armor. Celestial armor is the best out there for that; followed by mithril chain shirt of nimbleness (5100 GP for +1).

Edit: If arms and equipment guide stuff is allowed Elven Leafweave ups max AC of non-metal armor by +1, and Bondleaf Wrap (+1 to AC) costs 1000 GP and weighs nothing.

abadguy
2010-10-05, 10:58 PM
From Races of the Wild:

Leafweave Leather is +2 AC/+7 Max Dex/No ACP for 750gp
Thistledown padded is +1 AC/+10 Max Dex/No ACP for 405gp (also gives +2 circumstance bonus to Hide checks in areas of darkness or shadowy illumination)

Gnome twist cloth mentioned above is +1 AC/Unlimited Dex bonus/No ACP for 150gp and if you actually take the Exotic Armor Proficiency feat, the AC and enhancement bonus will apply to touch attacks as well.

Roc Ness
2010-10-05, 11:00 PM
I think it's that he's using the RAW which says Swordsages only get Wis to AC in light armor. Celestial armor is the best out there for that; followed by mithril chain shirt of nimbleness (5100 GP for +1).

Actually, there is also the Millenium Armor in the Magic Item Compendium. It is exactly the same as the Celestial Armor, but only +1, doesn't have Fly, and only functions for NG, CG or CN. It's slightly cheaper, too, at only 8125gp.