PDA

View Full Version : Spore: What will you make today?

WampaX
2006-03-08, 11:29 AM
This (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8372603330420559198&q=will+wright+ video+game&pr=goog-sl) video has opened my eyes to the need for a new computer.

Evolving creatures and evolving playstyle. Looks like tons of fun.

Tom_Violence
2006-03-08, 11:46 AM
I know exactly what you mean.

I read a preview for it a while ago and immediately feared for my chances of passing my degree. :P

Hats off to everyone who's making innovative games like that possible.

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-08, 12:28 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to make the Tarrasque. Probably couldnt get it full-scale, but wouldnt a tribe of mini tarrasques be so cute?

:edit: I should add that while this video is apparently rather dated, it only seems to have been noticed by the internets quite recently

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-08, 01:05 PM
Just... wow.... just wow.....

Amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on that!

Maxymiuk
2006-03-08, 03:42 PM
Oh, I know. From fighting for right to life and evolution in a drop of water to bombing alien planets into oblivion. *glee*

I also find it appealing that you get to download the creations of other players to populate the universe (and bomb them into oblivion). Think of the possibilities!

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-08, 04:02 PM
Think of the possibilities!

I'm already envisioning a massive online battle to see who can come up with the wierdest creature possible.

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-08, 04:04 PM
I'm already envisioning a massive online battle to see who can come up with the wierdest creature possible.

I dunno, its gonna be pretty hard to beat Buttface or Tweetybird

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-08, 04:08 PM
I dunno, its gonna be pretty hard to beat Buttface or Tweetybird

Tweetybird was insane... but from looking at the morphing mechanics, I believe we'll have a near infinite possibilities or customising a beastie. Imagine tweetybird with 4 heads hopping around on one leg... :o

God, I can't wait to get my hands on it ;D

WampaX
2006-03-08, 04:30 PM
but from looking at the morphing mechanics, I believe we'll have a near infinite possibilities or customising a beastie.

Given that you can create a Care Bear, yeah, I'm betting the sky's the limit.

Finally, that Smurf Sim I always wanted is here. ;D

I wonder if you will be able to create not only land based civilizations but also Sea and Air (maybe even subterrainian). Avian-people, Mer-people, and Mole-people would be pretty-cool, too.

Jibar
2006-03-08, 04:38 PM
I really don't have the time to watch this considering it's 35 minutes long, so would someone mind giving me a general overview of what the hell it is?

Maxymiuk
2006-03-08, 04:43 PM
Given that you can create a Care Bear, yeah, I'm betting the sky's the limit.

Finally, that Smurf Sim I always wanted is here. ;D

I wonder if you will be able to create not only land based civilizations but also Sea and Air (maybe even subterrainian). Avian-people, Mer-people, and Mole-people would be pretty-cool, too.

Given that you can customize buildings in the same way you customize your creatures, then a Smurf Village is a very real possibility.

And in the video it shows that you do end up in the ocean at one point in the evolution. Dunno about staying in there though. Would be a bit limiting to the whole space exploration idea.

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-08, 04:45 PM
I really don't have the time to watch this considering it's 35 minutes long, so would someone mind giving me a general overview of what the hell it is?

guide the development of a species from primordial ooze to intragalactic travel. Also, you get full customizability of said species

find some pics here
http://www.sg.hu/printer.php?cid=37149

and a general overview of how the gameplay evolves here
http://www.gamingsteve.com/archives/2005/03/pictures_of_wil.php

Sadly, google doesnt know of any screenshots of Buttface or Tweetybird, so you're gonna have to watch the vid to see them

potatocubed
2006-03-08, 04:49 PM
Wow.

:o

I want.

The only thing that concerns me is the importing of other players' beasties to fill your world. All it takes is a gap in the game routines that lets some schmo build an uber-predator, and everyone else is borked.

But I have faith. And, if necessary, armour plates. ;D

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-08, 04:58 PM
The only thing that concerns me is the importing of other players' beasties to fill your world. All it takes is a gap in the game routines that lets some schmo build an uber-predator, and everyone else is borked.

Predator Schmedator! If someone's beastie is giving you trouble, Nuke em from orbit! :P

WampaX
2006-03-08, 04:59 PM

Really? Wow, you must be very, very busy to not have 35mins (let alone the first 5-10 that will give you a good idea of what is going on) at any point in your day.

The Gist: This is the demo of Wil Wright's(sp?) new sim game from last year. He takes you through all the various "stages" of gameplay from single cell organism to galactic exploration.

The Meat: You have almost total control over the evolution of your lifeform. By total I mean "down to the bone" total. You can populate your world with lifeforms from other users. Eventually, as you progress and your creatures evolve, you will take on a more cultural role, determining the course of your lifeform in the context of the world and not just a day to day struggle to survive against predators and find food and a mate. Even further along, you gain the abuility to travel beyond the scope of just your planet and visit other planets, not just within your solar system, but within an entire galaxy. Worlds that may contain other sentient life that you can interact with or baren hunks of rock that need to be terraformed for colonization.

Maxymiuk
2006-03-08, 05:03 PM

Will says it plain as day that you (the player's creation) are never the top dog of the food chain - at least until you achieve sentience. There will always be someone bigger, better, with sharper teeth.

Kulatu
2006-03-08, 05:09 PM
Wow. Come the time this is released, I'm going to buy a new computer and this in stereo. :D

To the 'uber-predator' comment: nobody is forcing you to import other player's creatures...if you don't want an uber predator, don't import it! That's my philosophy. =)

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-08, 05:11 PM

From the gamespy review:

"We discovered that you can evolve your entire species underwater. If you have hyper-intelligent dolphins, they can build whole cities under the sea. Interestingly, when these creatures colonize other planets, they can build domes around their cities filled with water."

To the 'uber-predator' comment: nobody is forcing you to import other player's creatures...if you don't want an uber predator, don't import it! That's my philosophy. =)

Also from the same review:

"Wright explained that the real goal of the game is to allow players to create things, and to allow them to transparently share their creations with other players. So, the idea isn't to make you go to a website to actively download stuff; instead, new content is constantly sucked into your game for you to experience, and you won't have to lift a finger. Similarly, the things that you create will be beamed out into the ether for other players to share"

Kulatu
2006-03-08, 05:15 PM
Oh...scratch that comment then. ;D

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-08, 05:17 PM
I like what I'm reading. Apparently, as I posted above, your creations will be beamed out into the world for everyone to see and play/use/abuse/nuke. They won't effect your own game, but you will always be able to check in on your "multiverses" to see how many played have met your race, whether they've made contacts or how many times they've nuked them etc...

Me likey ;D

Kulatu
2006-03-08, 05:30 PM
One wonders who will be the first sick bastard to create teletubbies and beam them out into the multiverse. :'(

Sophistemon
2006-03-08, 06:04 PM
This (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8372603330420559198&q=will+wright+ video+game&pr=goog-sl) video has opened my eyes to the need for a new computer.

Evolving creatures and evolving playstyle. Looks like tons of fun.

Way to steal my thunder, WampaX. I had a thread about this ages (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=other_gaming;action=display;num=1137 373287;start=) ago. No hard feelings, though, as long as people other than me are finally interested.

One wonders who will be the first sick bastard to create teletubbies and beam them out into the multiverse.
That would be me, right after making my race of hyper-evolved cephalopods.

WampaX
2006-03-08, 06:08 PM
Way to steal my thunder, WampaX. I had a thread about this ages (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=other_gaming;action=display;num=1137 373287;start=) ago. No hard feelings, though, as long as people other than me are finally interested.

Yeah, so sometimes even Mods screw up . . . though in an infallible way, of course. :P

But I have a link to the video ;D

Sophistemon
2006-03-08, 06:12 PM
So do I, though it's far older and harder to get to than yours. And curse you, does your omnipotence know no limit!? You Mods think you’re so awesome just because you are…

Kulatu
2006-03-08, 06:14 PM
There's gonna be a delightful number of weird creatures to make...

We've gotta see some intelligent Műmakil species now. :D

Ooh, and miniature sandworms! And mind flayers!

OH MY GOD MY BRAIN'S EXPLODED!

I'm already in love this game. ;D

Sophistemon
2006-03-08, 06:15 PM
Heck yeah, a cookie to whoever makes a successful race of Mindflayers!

WampaX
2006-03-08, 06:31 PM
Things I wish to make ---
Smurfs
Chinese Dragons
Rust Monsters
Muppets (probably Gonzo, Fraggles, anything from Dark Crystal, Yoda)
Cows . . . Who's doing the mutilation now, eh? ;D

I'll need to consult my Lovecraft collection, as well.
So many creatures . . . so long until Q3.

Kulatu
2006-03-08, 06:44 PM
Ooh, I've gotta make satyrs too...and daemons of various kinds!

Damn, this game is gonna rule...

Dr._Weird
2006-03-08, 07:01 PM
This is going to be the best game ever! I'm starting a fan club!

Sophistemon
2006-03-08, 07:13 PM
Wemics might be fun to craft, or something similiar to formians...

Maxymiuk
2006-03-08, 08:21 PM
And, of course, there's going to be the content created by what I'll call the "hentai crowd." ::)

"Sir, we might not have enough planet busters..."

Kulatu
2006-03-08, 08:25 PM
Oh no, not tentacle monsters! D:

Sophistemon
2006-03-08, 08:44 PM
A moon colonized by tentacle-monsters that orbits a planet inhabited by Japanese schoolgirls...
Creepy. I bet there'll be thousands.

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-08, 09:44 PM
I have decided that my first spore creation will be governed purely by spur of the moment imaginative decisions, and then once I'm done/bored with that, I'll start working on modelling real/D&D/fantasy/whatever creatures.

Tom_Violence
2006-03-08, 11:36 PM
I'd personally like to see someone make a collection of races based purely around items of household furniture. :P

Julia
2006-03-09, 12:30 AM
I want to make an aquatic race, but as far as I was able to discover, this game will be pc-only. Which may mean I won't be able to make any race at all. :'(

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-09, 09:56 AM
Spore's Wiki entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore_(game))

We should do a poll of which name we prefer, Spore or Sim Everything

:edit: A wiki devoted solely to Spore (http://www.sporewiki.com/Main_Page)

Leon
2006-03-09, 11:05 AM
ive know about it for a while but that was the first time ive seen actual gameplay

it is simply awesome looking, i cant wait to get in there and create

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-03-09, 11:40 AM
I want need this game. So badly I watched the video about four times in a row. It's so totally going to destroy whatever job/social life I have going on when it comes out, but that's just the cross I'll have to bear.

Anyways, I think my favorite part of the video is how the audience just keeps getting more and more freaked out about the whole thing, in a sort of "you're frakking kidding me!" manner, which completely mirrored my response. I mean, by the time his three-legged critter walks onto land, he's got the audience totally hooked and convinced this is the best new game they've seen in ages. But that's barely even the beginning. Adds a whole other level to the whole thing.

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-09, 12:22 PM
I want need this game. So badly I watched the video about four times in a row. It's so totally going to destroy whatever job/social life I have going on when it comes out, but that's just the cross I'll have to bear.

I think that sums it up for many of us after seeing that vid :P

Lilly
2006-03-09, 02:14 PM
It had me at the microbes. This had me at the evolution of the critters. And then they brought out the tribes. And I went HOLY SPOON!!! And then he brought out the cities. And then the UFO's... HOLY SPOON!!!

I NEED this game. I hope I'm out of school by the time it comes out, because it will destroy my GPA. I may need to upgrade my computer but, oh it will be worth it. I'm shown it to my friends, and they need it too.

WampaX
2006-03-09, 02:45 PM
The video itself is a year old at this point . . . and we get a new glimpse of it come May.

I'm already spec-ing out my new machine. I find it slightly odd that a game about evolution will the trigger for me to upgrade my system.

Jibar
2006-03-09, 02:59 PM
Okay, watched it, and,
WOW
Just plain WOW
This can officially be named a revolution in gaming. t's so amazing...it's so...so...perfect...everyone will find soemthing they like, everyone...
And I know that my first race will be primarily focused Having as many grabby things as possible.
Then afterwards, the Carebear conquerers...mwehehehehe...

Kulatu
2006-03-09, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure if I can wait until Fall (or later) for this release...I might go insane first. :o

Tom_Violence
2006-03-09, 10:43 PM
I just love it when it all zooms out for the last time and he somehow manages to still sound nonchalant about the whole thing. Its all 'oh, and then you get a whole universe to mess about with. Anyway...' and you just know that every jaw in the room is hitting the floor.

I mean, how damn smug would you be after that?

Yuki Akuma
2006-03-09, 11:10 PM
Okay. Just some things I'd like to say:

You can evolve your species entirely underwater. Your cities on land will have the same bubbles over them as the cities started on airless planets. Except they'll be filled with water.

You can make a flying race, too, but their cities are still on land.

Your species can be anywhere from the size of a hamster to the size of an elephant. So, smurfs? Yes. Terrasque? No. :'(

The game probably won't require that good a graphics card (the graphics aren't any better than most games that came out last year), but it'll probably require at the very least a gig of RAM.

And now, I shall stop talking about the greatest game ever conceived.

(Apart from the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. I'm such a fanboy.)

Maxymiuk
2006-03-10, 12:53 AM
and you just know that every jaw in the room is hitting the floor.

I know mine did... and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-10, 06:58 AM
I know mine did... and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Hell yeah, mine too. I thought the whole "conquer the world" thing was pretty nice, and when he kept on going... *klunk* :o

endoperez
2006-03-10, 10:45 AM
Myself - I'm not sure how long it would hold my interest. While the game part is probably well done, there are so many minigames that neither can be truly outstanding.

The most interesting part, ATM and IMO, is the forming of species, evolution, etc. The fact that it will all be animated base on the creature is a nice bonus.

The tribes part will still probably be quite interesting. It is different enough not to bore me, hopefully. And seeing some big, bad, evil beast come tromping towards my poor tribe will prbabably be a frightening experience.

The city designing is cool, but I'm not sure if that'll hold my interest. Playing around with the looks might be fun, but what about the managing part?

Then, with the UFO, you can eventually do anything you want. So... what will I want to do at that point? Do more species? Grow more, different cultures? Let them fight each other? That might be interesting, for a while. But to be truly classic, and not just an enjoyable game that lots of people that don't play typical games like, it would have to allow many more things than it seems to, based on the video.
Can I change the species once it reaches the city-state? If not, I can never do pumpkin race that rides scarecrow-robots. I can make scarecrow-men, but not a species that evolves in such a way that it cannot move on its own, any more.
Can I capture members of sentient species? If not, what fun is cross-breeding? No zombies, no mindless monsters, no brainwashing, no improvements, no playing a king-maker, no "blessings from the gods", etc. And no Robinson Crusoe.
Speaking of that, does any AI exist for e.g. seeing how a single member of the species goes around, hunts, eats, procreates, evolves, WITHOUT you directly making the choices. Human imagination can't come up with everything. It would be interesting to see if computer AI could come up with land-animals moving back to sea, hugely elongated bodyparts (elephant, giraffe), etc.
Can multiple sentient species co-exist on a planet? Evolve on a planet? Live in the same city? If not, I lose many, many options. Like creating a sentient, very slowly moving Sphinx in a city of small lizards living in Pyramid-like structures. Or dropping a member of the same species, but from a far more advanced city from a FAR more advanced planet.

When initially released, the ecosystem will be imperfect, and allow too many/too few predators. If the game has a true ecosystem, this will lead into herbivores dying out -> carnivores dying out; OR into herbivores becoming overly common, etc strange results that will wreck up few games every now and then. If it DOESN'T allow this - what happens if you decide to wreck a planet's ecosystem? New species pop out of the void to fill the gaps?

The game is cool idea, without a doubt, and I'll probably at least check out the reviews. It might flop - but I hope it doesn't. It will get more new people into the RTS genre at least, and might get the Robinson-genre some more commercial competitors.

WampaX
2006-03-10, 11:26 AM
When initially released, the ecosystem will be imperfect, and allow too many/too few predators. If the game has a true ecosystem, this will lead into herbivores dying out -> carnivores dying out; OR into herbivores becoming overly common, etc strange results that will wreck up few games every now and then. If it DOESN'T allow this - what happens if you decide to wreck a planet's ecosystem? New species pop out of the void to fill the gaps?

If the truth is that the game will ship with several hundred thousand pre-generated species, then the claims of the computer being able to balance the ecosystem right from the get go should be true. And there is no reason to not believe this claim since the game is not being touted as needing internet connectivity to play.

The demo video is two things: old and a demo. I'm really excited to see what they have done in the year since the conference Wil was speaking at. I'm sure that a good number of your questions will be answered come May.

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-10, 11:43 AM
I am very tempted to try and hibernate for 3 months...

Hell, if that doesn't work, I'm tempted to get someone to whack me into a coma for three months :P

Maxymiuk
2006-03-10, 11:51 AM
I just realized that what pains me most is that I'll be getting the game about 3 months after its release (assuming it comes out in May) since for the entire summer me and my computer will be on diffrent continents. :-/

WampaX
2006-03-10, 12:16 PM
I just realized that what pains me most is that I'll be getting the game about 3 months after its release (assuming it comes out in May) since for the entire summer me and my computer will be on diffrent continents. :-/

No, its scheduled for Q4 2006, May is E3 and we'll get some updates on how far its come in a year.

Yuki Akuma
2006-03-10, 01:33 PM
Will Wright told Gaming Steve Q3... But that's still well after May..

Kulatu
2006-03-10, 04:23 PM
All the release dates I heard pointed towards Q4... *Dies from waiting.*

Jibar
2006-03-10, 04:39 PM
All the release dates I heard pointed towards Q4... *Dies from waiting.*

Okay, that's one down. Get the grill going, who wants a leg?

But, it's amazing that I only learned about this yesterday, and I'm so excited already. This ahs happened sicne I first saw shots of Twilight Princess,

Traveling_Angel
2006-03-10, 05:24 PM
don't forget the hyperintelligent mice!! or Vogons! We also have to try to duplicate earth as close as possible. just in time for an interstellar bypass.

:D

Hadrian_Emrys
2006-03-10, 07:08 PM
The potentia for al Hitchhiker's setting of my own creation to toy with? The greatest game in the world begins at the end of the world. :P

Maxymiuk
2006-03-10, 09:26 PM
*imagines a whole race of Marvins*

:o :o :o

Dr._Weird
2006-03-10, 09:29 PM
What are all these Qs I'm hearing about? Last time I checked, it was scheduled for sometime in October...

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-10, 10:46 PM
What are all these Qs I'm hearing about? Last time I checked, it was scheduled for sometime in October...
divide the year into 4 quarters, each having 3 months

Traveling_Angel
2006-03-11, 04:14 PM
oh yea, about the uber-predator. The thing will only be in your world if the ecosystem can support it, and you can stay out of the water, off land, or above the ground.

Yuki Akuma
2006-03-11, 05:19 PM
What if it's an amphibious uber-predator with wings?

Sophistemon
2006-03-11, 06:43 PM
What if it's an amphibious uber-predator with wings?
Cthulhu?

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-11, 06:43 PM
Cthulwho? :P

Sophistemon
2006-03-11, 08:27 PM
He hates that joke, you know.

The Demented One
2006-03-12, 02:34 PM
I call dibs on the race of hyperintelligent Gelatinous Cubes. We shall rule the universe with an iron pseudopod!

Also calling dibs on the flying death-ferrets, dragons, winged monkeys, laser-vision rabbits, and jet-powered turbo-slugs.

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-12, 02:55 PM
I call dibs on the race of hyperintelligent Gelatinous Cubes. We shall rule the universe with an iron pseudopod!

Also calling dibs on the flying death-ferrets, dragons, winged monkeys, laser-vision rabbits, and jet-powered turbo-slugs.

Dammit, he's getting all the good ones!!!

I'm calling dibs on ninja-monkey-spacepirates!

Jibar
2006-03-12, 03:04 PM
Dammit, he's getting all the good ones!!!

I'm calling dibs on ninja-monkey-spacepirates!

It just struck me,
We probably COULD make them.

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-12, 03:16 PM
It just struck me,

*Grin*

I NEED that game

endoperez
2006-03-12, 04:38 PM
Has anyone else considered that, if the movement is really calculated from the anatomy, and if the speed also is calculated from that, existing, naturally evolved species would be (almost always) faster than anything a human can come up with.

Why is anyone ignoring the really obscure species, like stick-people?

Maxymiuk
2006-03-12, 06:50 PM
Who's up for starting "The Dysfunctional Species You Download Just to Have Your Civilization Stamp Them out So That You May Feel Good About Yourself" webpage?

Don't look at me like that. Of course we'd ask for money up front.

Traveling_Angel
2006-03-13, 07:21 PM
dibs on Vogons and hyper-intelligent mice

just ideas

That Lanky Bugger
2006-03-13, 08:07 PM
You know, I just had an evilgasm.

Seriously. You mean I can send an army of giant rats with crab claws to a new planet in the name of conquest, and if they don't win I can just blow the sucker up to keep my enemies from coming calling to return the favour?

Awesome.

Dr._Weird
2006-03-13, 11:41 PM
Or have a large and bloody space war between the amphibious 6-legged panthers-with-gills and the Wampas that spans years and leaves hundreds of innocent planets irreparably scarred in the process, all using very stylized and lush graphics? *grins maniacally* :D

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-14, 09:44 AM
don't forget the abduction of countless creatures (and their later return?) by a race of big headed short grey people

Sophistemon
2006-03-15, 03:49 PM
Moai?

Spuddly
2006-03-15, 10:28 PM
My childhood was spent playing the Sim series. My all time favorites being Simlife (pictures of the game: http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=simlife&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi), SimCity 2000 and SimEarth.

For those of you who haven't played SimLife, it was a very realistic, though hypersimplified version of evolution and ecosystems. There could be no uberpreator, because of TNSTAAFL; there's no such thing as a free lunch. I loved that game to death. Then I upgraded my computer and can't play it any longer. You could design all sorts of cool critters by selecting their mutation rates, what they ate, if they flew, then draw what they looked like with 12x12 of pixels and a palette of 36 colors.

This looks like that, except 10 million times better.

This is a wet dream. A lifetime of wet dreams.

Maxis makes the best games ever.

Dr._Weird
2006-03-15, 11:55 PM
Simlife looks a lot like Simearth to me... Is that it's name for the release in Europe?

That Lanky Bugger
2006-03-16, 12:16 AM
I was actually reminded of E.V.O. for SNES in the beginning... but damned if this doesn't take that concept a hundred times farther.

Spuddly
2006-03-16, 02:06 PM
Simlife looks a lot like Simearth to me... Is that it's name for the release in Europe?

They're different, as far as I know. SimLife was about organisms changing. One could craft organisms to the environment, or change the environment to see how they would change (or perish). There was virtually an infinite number of combinations to create animals and plants to inhabit your world.

SimEarth was about terraforming a dead planet so life could evolve into sentient creatures that took to the stars. There was progression and set animals and biomes.

Similar games, but SimLife was far harder and more involved with creatures at the individual scale, rather than global.

I wonder if in Spore my race could be herbivorous?

Sophistemon
2006-03-16, 02:30 PM
Yeah, your race can be plant-eaters. Just because Wright's race in the video ate meat doesn't mean that yours have to.

Dr._Weird
2006-03-16, 06:40 PM
Yeah, he mentioned making the Carebear a carnivore, suggesting that there was an alternative.

raven-gm
2006-03-17, 01:19 PM
Oh, man....

There goes my high school GPA.

hey, what are the Minimum specs gonna be for it?
It looks like its takeing a lot of proccessing power....

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-17, 02:45 PM
hey, what are the Minimum specs gonna be for it?
It looks like its takeing a lot of proccessing power....
Unknown at this time. My guess would be that it mainly needs the heavy processing time when it first procedurally generates something, then it just keeps it in a small data file so it doesnt need to constantly reconstruct it. This would explain the pauses when going from the editor to ingame, or switching "modes"

Yuki Akuma
2006-03-18, 02:10 PM
Remember, this was the build from around a year ago... I'm sure the pauses have been cleaned up by now!

endoperez
2006-03-18, 03:32 PM
There'd be no need for that. The evolution screens aren't very close to each other, and the buildings don't move. And I'm not sure if any game has managed to really remove loading times between randomly-generated areas.

It is rather hard to get a creature to move properly if you cannot test it in the editor, though.

Traveling_Angel
2006-03-18, 04:02 PM
but you can test them in the editor, as shown by Buttface, Tweetybird, and Hangdog.

endoperez
2006-03-19, 05:37 AM
They were completed models, and weren't changed IIRC. I think the ones that moved followed mouse movement, and that didn't happen with the evoluyion editor.

Sophistemon
2006-03-21, 09:24 PM
Just thought that I'd let you know that Will Wright served as a guest editor of the most recent edition of WIRED magazine. He wrote an article on the future of video-gaming and the magazine had a cool article on Spore.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-03-24, 05:30 AM
Yeah, he mentioned making the Carebear a carnivore, suggesting that there was an alternative.
Even though there's not, in that particular case.

Gilligan
2006-03-24, 03:38 PM
Is there another link?
because for some reason it's showing up as a broken reel...even though I'm completely updated with my windows media player!..

WampaX
2006-03-27, 04:56 PM
Is there another link?
because for some reason it's showing up as a broken reel...even though I'm completely updated with my windows media player!..

Working fine for me just now . . . ummm, I'm sure there is another link to the video somewhere.

Sophistemon
2006-03-27, 05:01 PM
There is, but it's harder to use. Earlier on this thread I posted a link to a similar thread that I'd made earlier. There's a link to the video there.

Desidus
2006-03-31, 12:47 AM
Penguins of doom... I've been spouting about them for nearly 10 years, and this will let me prove they could exist...

Well, as long as I can get a properly working penguin that is...

Traveling_Angel
2006-04-01, 04:40 PM
Penguins of doom... I've been spouting about them for nearly 10 years, and this will let me prove they could exist...

Well, as long as I can get a properly working penguin that is...

sky's the limit. well actualy it's more like the galactic Supercluster is the limit.

WampaX
2006-05-09, 10:20 AM
So E3 is almost upon us . . . wonder what we will see there since it has been a full year since the video.

Sophistemon
2006-05-09, 04:02 PM
Gaming Steve (http://www.gamingsteve.com/)'s podcasts have been keeping us updated. And when it does come out you can use this (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest) to see if you can run it.

Dr._Weird
2006-05-09, 07:12 PM
There'd be no need for that. The evolution screens aren't very close to each other, and the buildings don't move. And I'm not sure if any game has managed to really remove loading times between randomly-generated areas.

It is rather hard to get a creature to move properly if you cannot test it in the editor, though.

But isn't that part of the fun? Just winging it and seeing what you come up with?

noweezernoworld
2006-05-11, 09:18 PM
New video here (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/735/735340/vids_1.html)

Sophistemon
2006-05-11, 09:41 PM
*nonsexual mental orgasm*

Maxymiuk
2006-05-11, 09:47 PM
Sweet mother of Vartan, those graphics look SWEET. :o

LordOfNarf
2006-05-12, 10:35 PM
When, when can we get our hands on this beautiful, beutiful peice of programming

EDIT: Programing?, nay, i repent, this, is art

Saithis Bladewing
2006-05-15, 08:00 AM
I think I just had a creationgasm.

NEO|Phyte
2006-05-15, 10:17 AM
yay for sporgasms!

neriana
2006-05-15, 05:30 PM
I have seen much-hyped, beautiful, amazing-looking games before. They never even come near to living up to their promise. I'm skeptical.

Sophistemon
2006-05-15, 08:54 PM
No, dear, you're just suffering from Molyneux Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fable_%28video_game%29). This is a Will Wright game. You can trust him.

Jothki
2006-05-15, 11:10 PM
They were completed models, and weren't changed IIRC. I think the ones that moved followed mouse movement, and that didn't happen with the evoluyion editor.

You can test them out in the editor, as that Robin Williams demonstration demonstrates.

neriana
2006-05-16, 12:54 AM
No, dear, you're just suffering from Molyneux Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fable_%28video_game%29). This is a Will Wright game. You can trust him.
Nope, I have the Sims 2. It would be unplayable without many, many hacks. Molyneux is definitely the archetype for promising more than he delivers, though. In Fable you can be good or evil! Whoopee, no one's ever thought of that before!

Saithis Bladewing
2006-05-16, 01:06 AM
Nope, I have the Sims 2. It would be unplayable without many, many hacks. Molyneux is definitely the archetype for promising more than he delivers, though. In Fable you can be good or evil! Whoopee, no one's ever thought of that before!

Funny, I had no problems with Sims 2 whatsoever.

Anyway, I don't care how hyped-up or "beautiful and amazing" the game looks/is, I'm just in it for the chance to create the evolution of species. I'm addicted to creating species and histories, what better way to play it out? The game can be crap for all I care and I'll still play it.

Sophistemon
2006-05-16, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I didn't have any problems with the Sims 2 either. Maybe you got a defective copy? I dunno.

neriana
2006-05-17, 02:17 AM
Yeah, I didn't have any problems with the Sims 2 either. Maybe you got a defective copy? I dunno.

*laughs*

No. You didn't visit the BBS when it was released, did you?

The "jump bug" was the worst bug, and did make the game literally unplayable. It was fixed by a hacker before EA even acknowledged its existence. There are many, many other bugs, also fixed by hackers.

However, I would find the game unplayable without hacks even if it were bug-free (an amusing concept, to be sure). The way about 75% of the unmodded game works is stupid, with romance being one main issue. Just as an example, if Sim A walks in on Sim B while Sim B is cheating on Sim A, guess who has to apologize to repair the relationship. Sim A. Not fixed by Maxis, fixed by a hack. Children psychically know who their parents are, and no matter what, they flip out if one parent gets romantically involved with someone else who is not the other parent. Sims who have crushes on each other -- just crushes -- will slap each other for flirting with others in public.

Then there are the bajillions of annoyances, like cheering after every single A+ report card. Teddy bears getting stuck in adults' stomachs. And the many, many gameplay problems caused by Sims having severe ADD.

The newest release for the game, "Family Fun Stuff", borked clothing completely. A mere clothing and objects release, and it had to be fixed with an extremely large patch.

I hope Spore is good. But after: Oblivion, Black and White, The Sims 2, Fable, and many, many more, I have come to expect over-hyped games to be beautiful graphically, and mediocre in every other area. I'm not saying it won't be great. Maybe it will. But I retain my skepticism.

OzymandiasVolt
2006-05-17, 04:48 AM
...I don't understand how you could NOT like Oblivion. The laws of physics tell us that such a thing is...IMPOSSIBLE.

OMG THE UNIVERSE'S LAWS HAVE BEEN BROKEN! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD! AAAAH!

Or maybe you just don't like it. Either/or.

As for Spore...it needs to hurry up and get here already so I can waste huge amounts of time playing it.

Casualgamer
2006-05-17, 10:57 PM
...I don't understand how you could NOT like Oblivion. The laws of physics tell us that such a thing is...IMPOSSIBLE.

OMG THE UNIVERSE'S LAWS HAVE BEEN BROKEN! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD! AAAAH!

Or maybe you just don't like it. Either/or.

As for Spore...it needs to hurry up and get here already so I can waste huge amounts of time playing it.

Umm, I didn't really like Oblivion... too lonely, no likeable characters, poor character design (not AI though...).

But yah, I agree, this needs to come out. Pity it got delayed.....

Space Dragons. Someone has to make it.

NEO|Phyte
2006-05-17, 11:46 PM
...holy crap, I just saw a spore video where they put Robin Williams in front of the creature editor.

Proof of easy use AND lots of humor! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3DRiREBm9Q)

Saithis Bladewing
2006-05-18, 05:15 AM
Interesting, he's a lot funnier just doing something in front of the creature editor than he is in movies. Maybe that's just me. ;D

Still, it just reminds me why I want to play this game...

Jibar
2006-05-20, 02:39 PM
Hehe. I ended up telling my chemistry teacher about Spore, and he was generally interested.
I reckon Spore could open up a whole new market; Sciene teachers!

Daniel_Q
2006-05-20, 03:55 PM
I can't wait, creation is pretty much my fave thing most of the time, an example being the CAW mode from Soul Calibur 3, I'll be sitting around for hours tweaking and changing things.

The fact you can blow up planets 'Death Star' style looks pretty fun too ;D

Spuddly
2006-05-20, 08:26 PM
The Sims games were absolutely terrible. They weren't even simgames in the traditional sense, as they weren't simulations. You couldn't leave the game running over night and expect to come back to a living sim. But when your market is adolescent girls, what can you expect?

Sophistemon
2006-05-20, 10:55 PM
The Sims games were absolutely terrible. They weren't even simgames in the traditional sense, as they weren't simulations. You couldn't leave the game running over night and expect to come back to a living sim. But when your market is adolescent girls, what can you expect? ... I am NOT an adolescent girl.

Amotis
2006-05-20, 11:02 PM
... I am NOT an adolescent girl.

...Prove it.

I acutally second the "sims=suck" motion, a huge overhyped disapointment.

Sophistemon
2006-05-20, 11:10 PM
...Prove it.

I have a penis. But before you ask, no. I won't send you a picture.

Jothki
2006-05-21, 02:51 AM
The Sims games were absolutely terrible. They weren't even simgames in the traditional sense, as they weren't simulations. You couldn't leave the game running over night and expect to come back to a living sim. But when your market is adolescent girls, what can you expect?

Sim City is the same way, though, especially if you have disasters on. Heck, I think that any Sim game with the possible exception of Sim Earth will collapse if you let it sit for too long.

Other than that you don't think that the games are traditional simulations, what exactly is wrong with them?

Morrandir
2006-05-21, 02:57 PM
I'm probably going to be that weirdo that makes something so mind-bogglingly stupid, you can't help but wonder how it'll take over the galaxy.

Dibs on kobolds.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-05-21, 03:24 PM
Sims was awesome for one thing:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=122

I spent my entire time playing Sims doing things like that. ;D

Sophistemon
2006-05-21, 03:46 PM
Sims was awesome for one thing:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=122

I spent my entire time playing Sims doing things like that. ;D

It was great when, in the first expansion, you got fireworks.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-05-22, 07:14 AM
It was great when, in the first expansion, you got fireworks.

I just used to fill up the neighborhood with size 8 families with super-social stats, invite them all over to the largest house, get them all in one room and delete the doors. ;D

AmoDman
2006-05-22, 10:56 PM
Basically, I have to have this freaking game! :D I was excited about the concept behind the Sim too, thougj, and thouroughly underwhelmed by the final product. But the actual gameplay I've see of this one only excites me...my first race will, essentially, be Andalites. That is, centaurs w/bladed prehensile tails. Heehee.

Gralamin
2006-05-22, 11:11 PM
I hope I can make Glibbles, Bassically super intelligent tribbles, who will ride around/live in borg like vechiles and structures.

Spuddly
2006-05-23, 12:22 AM
Sim City is the same way, though, especially if you have disasters on. Heck, I think that any Sim game with the possible exception of Sim Earth will collapse if you let it sit for too long.

SimLife, SimCity 2000 (with disasters off), SimTower, SimAnt. The trick in all of them, of course, was to set your game up in equilibrium. Then go to bed and wake up with 10 kazillion dollars.

I found something very rewarding in designing a system that could take care of itself. Telling a simulated person to take a piss every 5 minutes while guiding her around obstacles, however, isn't really my idea of a good time.

And what, no pics? :(

Shlik
2006-05-23, 02:32 PM
I've been watching this thread since it appeared. I'm gagging for Spore so much. In fact, I check the "other games" Gaming forum just for this thread.

I have to agree with the majority of people here. I want Spore. A lot.

Anyway. Since that is out of the way I can talk about the other Sims.

SimAnt was dull. Dull dull dull. I found it easy and boring. Spiders are cool though. But it didn't save the game.

SimLife/SimEarth were both quite cool concepts and attracted me for the simple fact that I could design a world. Unfortunately it was a bit too complex and I got bored before putting any real effort into either. You got too much power instantly. I stopped in the tutorial of each.

SimTower rocked. I loved that game! Admittedly I loved it because I played it when I was 10. I played it fairly recently and it's charm has diminished. Pity. Once you got your tower working fine by itself the challenge was over. You just waited till you could continue building. If you ever have played Transport Tycoon (Deluxe is better! The open transport tycoon game is even better.) it results in the same thing: it comes to a point where you are making more money than you are losing. No point continuing. Sure, replace some trains/planes/buses. But that is it.

I've actually never played SimCity 2000.

The Sims was fun to play with at first. But.. it does get tiring baby sitting the family that you have spent hours building up a home, developing their career only for them to forget that they need to pee. I mean come on! Why won't they go to the bathroom? Too much entertainment results in them falling asleep due to tiredness. They are just idiots who can't control their daily routine. The best damn thing in that game was the chemistry set with one of the addons. I gave a person 0 stats then tried to get that stat reversing potion.

Spore seems to have gotten the right balance between babysitting and independance. You get to baby one of your creatures at first. Then a nation. Then a spacecraft. Admittedly I think I will play the first part again and again and again, but leave the other stages. They seem a bit dull in comparison to MAKING YOUR OWN ANIMAL! I've been wanting to play a good evolution game for a long time.

My appetite was whetted by Evolva, The Game of Life, Darwin Pond, E.V.O.: Search for Eden and some game I remember were you could design monsters to fight (I only had it shareware...) but all were ultimately disappointing and not enough. I've been wanting to play Jade Cocoon, but I heard it sucked, so I haven't got round to it yet.

Damn I want to play Spore. I've been nosing around at new computer bits JUST to play that game. I'm going to rebuild my computer, even though I don't get a chance to play many games now, just for it.

Edit: Sorry for the length. I've just had to get Jade Cocoon. Spore fever. It's catching. It's all I can do to relieve it.

AmoDman
2006-05-23, 03:34 PM
I've been wanting to play Jade Cocoon, but I heard it sucked, so I haven't got round to it yet.

Jade Cocoon is pokemon ;).

Shlik
2006-05-23, 06:47 PM
But you get to customize and "design" (ish... not really... ok, ok mess with your) creature.

There is something nice about being able to make your own creature-thing. Think of all the possibilities!

Sophistemon
2006-05-23, 09:26 PM
Hmm... maybe a race of amphibious, frog-like humanoids? Long live the Croakan Empire!

Morrandir
2006-05-23, 09:52 PM
You know what's really cool in Sim Ant? If you're in the experiment mode, and you keep killing the spider with insecticide, eventually it develops laser vision.

Back on topic, I have every intent to make a creature with one leg barely long enough to move it, and leave the rest as a shapeless blob, just to see how long it lives.

King_of_GRiffins
2006-05-23, 11:48 PM
You know what's really cool in Sim Ant? If you're in the experiment mode, and you keep killing the spider with insecticide, eventually it develops laser vision.

Back on topic, I have every intent to make a creature with one leg barely long enough to move it, and leave the rest as a shapeless blob, just to see how long it lives.

Laser Eyes? :-/

As for the Idea, probally two minutes until something comes by to eat it.

As for the burning of things, lets face it, people like setting things on fire. So naturally when you give someone a simulation and the option the see something burn they go into overload mode. I did this a bit, deleting the bottom story so there would be no chance for rescue. I also liked just putting a familly of eight into seperate boxes/mazes and without one essesntial object. Usually they either died from starvation of exaushtion (I want'ed to see someone exploded/drown from not using the bathroom.)

Back to the subject, I'll probally just wing it when creating and end up with something vaugely dinosaur like.
I read in a couple of places its comeing out at Q4, which I have absolutley no Idea what or when it is(some kind of gaming convention?) Can someone please enlighten me on the two?

NEO|Phyte
2006-05-23, 11:52 PM
I read in a couple of places its comeing out at Q4, which I have absolutley no Idea what or when it is(some kind of gaming convention?) Can someone please enlighten me on the two?
~Christmas Time

Divide the year into 4 quarters.

King_of_GRiffins
2006-05-23, 11:59 PM
~Christmas Time

Divide the year into 4 quarters.

I thought it was something like that.
!

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-25, 01:05 AM
Dibs on Moogles! Or if someone's already called that, Goblins. Because I know no one would have called Goblins.

MalachorWraith
2006-05-26, 01:40 AM
I wonder what they will do to control the inevitable giant penis monster. I mean thats just going to happen.

Sophistemon
2006-05-26, 04:56 PM
I wonder what they will do to control the inevitable giant penis monster. I mean thats just going to happen.
Make a giant vagina-and-breasts monster.

Shlik
2006-05-30, 11:39 AM
The only problem about the breast-vagina monster is that there tends to be other bits of body between the breasts and the vagina. Anyway, a vagina is just the tube inside the uterus. You must mean female genitalia.

I wonder how they would move? I can guess about the mouths, and, actually, how the penis/testis will move...

You know, before this I hadn't even considered organ systems for creatures. I wonder how well a basic cardiovascular system would hold up. Just include the main vessels and the heart/lungs. Fun fun.

WampaX
2006-05-30, 12:55 PM
Voice of the Wampinator: Alright. Enough of that. Keep your mind shattering creations to something akin to Lovecraft and not straying beyond the PG-13 boundries set by the Giant.

Sophistemon
2006-05-30, 03:14 PM
Yeth, thir.

OzymandiasVolt
2006-05-31, 08:38 AM
Thees eez naht a prodahctive areah ahv discahssion.

LordOfXoriat
2006-05-31, 07:22 PM
Please, please, PLEASE let this by on mac's too. I need this game! And dibs on wolf in sheeps clothing and eletaurs (my creation, like centaurs with elephants instead of horses). Come on, please on mac!

LordOfNarf
2006-05-31, 07:33 PM
Please, please, PLEASE let this by on mac's too. I need this game! And dibs on wolf in sheeps clothing and eletaurs (my creation, like centaurs with elephants instead of horses). Come on, please on mac!

probably abot 1.5 years after its on PC

I laugh at your useless gaming computer

AmoDman
2006-06-02, 03:56 PM
probably abot 1.5 years after its on PC

I laugh at your useless gaming computer

I lol'd...but it might not actually be true (for once). Wright said something about "All platforms." What all is exactly included in "all" remains to be seen...

Sophistemon
2006-06-02, 04:33 PM
Hey, the Sims (1 and 2) came out on Macs, why shouldn't Spore?

alec
2006-06-03, 07:58 AM
I plan to make a creature bigger than the Hulk on steroids, that is a peaseful herbivore.

Sneak
2006-06-03, 10:48 AM

Macs will be able to play it. Have you heard of a new thing called Boot Camp? You can run Windoze on your Mac.

Jibar
2006-06-03, 11:21 AM
I plan to make a creature bigger than the Hulk on steroids, that is a peaseful herbivore.

Wouldn't the ecosystem just make something even bigger?
Something even bigger that's a carnivore?

LordOfXoriat
2006-06-03, 02:35 PM
Don, I've heard of it, but I got my iMac just before they switched to intel. I think you need the intel ones for Boot Camp. I hope I'm wrong (wait, I wanmt to be wrong? thats rare ???)

Shlik
2006-06-03, 04:16 PM
Wouldn't the ecosystem just make something even bigger?
Something even bigger that's a carnivore?

Elephants and giraffes are not hunted (as adults) by any bigger animals. I guess humans sometimes will hunt them for various reasons, but there aren't any BIGGER things to hunt them. Same applies to big whales.

Soniku
2006-06-04, 03:23 PM
I will probly make some sort of a no legged creature, like a slug =o

Not many people will do that I bet!

Make it a vicious carnivore, too slow to chase anything >.>

Rapida
2006-06-06, 09:14 PM
So is this game actually going to be out in 06? :o For some reason I was thinking it would be 07.

Tekar
2006-06-07, 03:33 AM
Probably '07. I would be surprised if they didn't delay it. And if I descide to buy the game I'll be making a race of starship trooper like insectoid warriors to conquer the galaxy by flooding it! Moehaha!

Dr._Weird
2006-06-07, 02:52 PM
My creature will most likely be a sad little writhing tentacled mess of nonsense, as I'll be adding on anything and everything.

Sophistemon
2006-06-07, 06:04 PM
Will it's language consist only of the words: "Kill me"?

Hoseki
2006-06-08, 05:13 PM
My creature will most likely be a sad little writhing tentacled mess of nonsense, as I'll be adding on anything and everything.

I hope they'll live close to my aliens. They'll be easy TO DESTROY!!! KILL!!!! SMASH!!! CONQUER!!!! RAWWER!

*cough*

I hope Spore is good. But after: Oblivion, Black and White, The Sims 2, Fable, and many, many more, I have come to expect over-hyped games to be beautiful graphically, and mediocre in every other area. I'm not saying it won't be great. Maybe it will. But I retain my skepticism.

I don't have Sims 2 (just the first one) but I do own B&W, and this is what I think:

The graphics are sucky. The lanscape loads while you're zooming in on it, and have you seen those forests that shrink when you pull up trees? Bad stuff. Did you know that the sun and moon sets and rises in the same place? And the Creatures' HAIR! Dear god, that monkey's hair gives me nightmares.

The premise is awesome. Utterly awesome. Wee!

The plot is kind of lame (I personally don't need plot to rain out the sky like mana- village managment is fun enough for me, thanks!) and rather of contrived (Yo. I'm Nemesis. Isn't my name eeevil? Hey, Lethys, I want to be the only god, but I'll kill you last if you be my sycophant. Kazhar! You've bugged me a long time, but I'll wait 'till you've set up another god before UTTERLY ANNIHILATING YOU. Aren't I eeevil?)

Sorry. I tend to get into my random rants.

Spore looks wonderfly awesome and I hope I get that software that turns my Mac into a PC before it comes out... because I heard that it'll come on all platforms, but PC first.

...I really wish I didn't hate PCs as much I do. Then I could play games. You know, REAL games.

I'm going to go before my fingers blister from impassioned rants.

Tekar
2006-06-09, 12:20 AM
Yup, I too am afraid spore might turn out to be a B&W revisited (great revolutionary boring gameplay) Wait before you buy is the best advise (and don't trust reviews, as we learned from Oblivion)

Sophistemon
2006-06-09, 01:22 AM
What's wrong with Oblivion?

OzymandiasVolt
2006-06-09, 09:16 AM
Some people are just whiny, nitpicky, and/or are simply unable to comprehend its greatness. ;)

Tekar
2006-06-09, 09:24 AM
Oblivion is just another look-we-a-have-awsome-uber-graphics-physics-ckicky-action-and-PaTrIk-SteWarT!!!111oneone game. Theres really no depth to it, the dialogue sucks because they wanted to make it all voiced, the world is bland and the towns look deserted, the radient AI is in fact really quite stupid and theres no chalange or incentive to explore in the game because of the ridiculous scaling system. Needless to say that Beth has lost my fate in them.

OzymandiasVolt
2006-06-09, 11:01 PM
^^^ Example ;D

hobbes543
2006-06-10, 08:04 PM
This game is definatly on my toget list.

bluish_wolf
2006-06-10, 11:43 PM
Some people are just whiny, nitpicky, and/or are simply unable to comprehend its greatness. ;)

Problems I have with Oblivion:
1) The game awards AVOIDING gaining levels. If you go up in level, everyone gets better equipment and is tougher. If you just get better equipment, you have an advantage.
2) The radiant AI, while impressive, has no effect on gameplay.
3) They aren't any children.
4) The main quest feels like just another side quest.
5) Every other adventurer in the world does nothing but wait in his or her respective guild.
6) It only runs on a high-end computer.
7) It's a pain trying to get decent multipliers every level.

Want more? I wouldn't be so annoyed if it weren't for the fact that I was actually looking forward to this game...

Hope Spore doesn't disappoint me.

hobbes543
2006-06-11, 12:03 PM
I'm going to make a platypus creature... it'll die fast though...

OzymandiasVolt
2006-06-13, 11:26 AM
Problems I have with Oblivion:
1) The game awards AVOIDING gaining levels. If you go up in level, everyone gets better equipment and is tougher. If you just get better equipment, you have an advantage.
2) The radiant AI, while impressive, has no effect on gameplay.
3) They aren't any children.
4) The main quest feels like just another side quest.
5) Every other adventurer in the world does nothing but wait in his or her respective guild.
6) It only runs on a high-end computer.
7) It's a pain trying to get decent multipliers every level.

Want more? I wouldn't be so annoyed if it weren't for the fact that I was actually looking forward to this game...

Hope Spore doesn't disappoint me.

It runs on a mid-range computer if you lower the graphics settings. There are mods that address 1, 3, and 7.

I totally agree with you on 4 and 5.

I still like the game, though.

And I wasn't really serious when I said the 'whiny, etc.' thing. Note the use of a winking smiley, which (in this context) is Emoticonese for "I'm just kidding, ololo, put down the knife, I'm allergic to being stabbed in the face".

NEO|Phyte
2006-06-20, 01:45 PM
VGcats on Spore (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=201)

Jibar
2006-06-20, 03:00 PM
Ya know what bugs me about that comic?
That he did it before I could...

Sophistemon
2006-06-20, 08:10 PM
Hold on, there's a Children Mod? Can I get a link to that?

Alchemistmerlin
2006-06-21, 03:18 AM

Any time I have any doubt in VG Cats, he comes back shortly thereafter and slaps me in the face with funny.

NEO|Phyte
2006-06-22, 10:55 PM

Look what Maxis did (http://www.vgcats.com/news/comic_spore_Will.jpg) :D

Sophistemon
2006-06-22, 11:21 PM
That's hilarious. But if they have the time to do that, why isn't the game done?

Umbilical_Lotus
2006-06-23, 01:19 AM
It's one thing to make some cute alien guys with that incredibly flexible alienguymaker they have there, it's another to make sure the game doesn't vomit bugs all over the universe.

I need a new computer. I need to fill my desire for making really huge reptile-monsters. If there is any possible way my creature can be like thirty feet tall, it will be. It will eat mountains.

King_of_GRiffins
2006-06-23, 01:21 AM
Thanks a lot for drawing me into another web comic. There goes another six hours of my life...

Good question, what is it they have left to do that they haven't finished the game yet. From what I've seen demo'ed, they can already start sending it out.

As a side note, and bringing up a previos dicussion, I doubt that the creatures created like in VG cats, or by people with too much time on thier hands that have to ruin a good game with somethign stupid, would probally not make it beyond it's host computer. I'm assuming here that before your creature is sent to system, it would have to survive a bit first, saving your previos gen monster and distributing it once you roll into the next gen.

EDIT: Eat mountians at thirty feet tall??

Umbilical_Lotus
2006-06-23, 02:18 AM
EDIT: Eat mountians at thirty feet tall??

There's a lot of mountain out there. It will sustain us until we can fly around to other worlds and eat all their stuff too.

OzymandiasVolt
2006-06-23, 09:02 AM
I don't think 'lithovore' is an option. ;D

Dr._Weird
2006-06-23, 10:45 AM
I heard from a very unreliable source (My memory) that your creatures can be from the size of (Don't remember what this was) to an elephant. So sorry, Lotus.

Umbilical_Lotus
2006-06-23, 09:11 PM
Darn. Well, they'll be as big as I can make them. A race of godzillas. Or something like that.

I need to stop watching old monster movies.

Sophistemon
2006-06-23, 10:59 PM
Hamsters. That's as small as they can be. From hamster to elephant in size. Imaging a race of tiny little mammals that wage war in massive machines... Maybe I'll make them after my race of hyper-intelligent frog-people.

LordOfNarf
2006-06-24, 12:58 AM
What would happen if you got superintelligent microbes?

Sophistemon
2006-06-24, 01:56 AM
I don't think you can. You have to evolve into something more complex.

Traveling_Angel
2006-06-24, 04:25 PM
Hamsters. That's as small as they can be. From hamster to elephant in size. Imaging a race of tiny little mammals that wage war in massive machines... Maybe I'll make them after my race of hyper-intelligent frog-people.

Like the mice from Hichhiker's guide would wage war? that would be halarious.

Sophistemon
2006-06-24, 05:34 PM
That was exactly what I was thinking.
Man One: "Run away! It's the mice!"
Man Two: "Mice? What's so scary about mice?"
A laser misses him by inches.
Man Two: "Oh."

Murongo
2006-06-24, 07:38 PM
Lol, automatically downloading other people's races. Thats going to create funny situations.

"Alright, whos responsible for the space dragons? And who the hell made the giant penis creatures?"

Traveling_Angel
2006-06-24, 10:59 PM
^ not to mention buildings can act in simalar fasion. "wait, is that a city of my guys? I don't remember founding it. Hey, they're shooting!" that would be halarious.

King_of_GRiffins
2006-06-25, 12:48 AM
I imagine it wont stop at one space dragon....

Alchemistmerlin
2006-06-25, 01:37 AM
Who made the horrible fish people with spinning blades on their backs?

Oh right, Will Wright did. (See: Spore Wikipedia entry picture)

Sophistemon
2006-06-25, 08:02 PM
For some reason, I don't think that we'll have to deal with giant space penises. I'm pretty sure that the creature would have to prove that it can survive before it's uploaded.

OzymandiasVolt
2006-06-26, 09:28 AM
Didn't a mod already say "stop discussing the giant genital monsters"? Because I'm almost positive he did. :P

Sophistemon
2006-06-26, 09:44 PM
No, I'm pretty sure that he didn't.
Yep. Sorry.

WampaX
2006-09-06, 12:35 PM
So, looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer.

We might be getting the creature creator as a demo soon, which would be really cool.

Plus, http://www.vgcats.com/ (news 9/5/06) got a special delivery from the Spore team.

Sophistemon
2006-09-06, 06:58 PM
Heh, I could entertain myself for years with that alone...

beholder
2007-02-15, 07:16 AM
It just struck me,
gentlemen, we have the technology...