PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerers and meta-magic rods

DwarfFighter
2010-10-09, 05:33 AM
I'm slightly confused as to the use of metamagic rods, so here goes. I'm under the impression that a metamagic rod is used when casting the spell.

For example: A Wizard prepares a Magic Missile in a first-level spell slot. Later that day he casts the spell using a Rod of Metamagic (Quickened Spell) to cast the spell as a free action.

Assuming this is correct, can a Sorcerer use the rod in the same way? I.e. cast an otherwise unmodified Magic Missile as a free action? I know the Sorcerer needs to spend more time when improving a spell with a metamagic feat, but I'm unsure as to wether this restriction applies when making use of a metamagic rod.

-DF

ericgrau
2010-10-09, 05:38 AM
The rods' descriptions say that the sorcerer takes longer just as he would when using the feat.

DwarfFighter
2010-10-09, 06:46 AM
How right you are! That clears things up quire nicely. No "Rod of Quickening" for the Sorcerer, then.

-DF

Radar
2010-10-09, 06:52 AM
You could take the metamagic variant of the Sorcerer - you'd lose your familiar for the ability to cast metamagiced spells without time increase.

BobVosh
2010-10-09, 06:56 AM
You could take the metamagic variant of the Sorcerer - you'd lose your familiar for the ability to cast metamagiced spells without time increase.

I never really noticed, does this work with the rods?

Radar
2010-10-09, 07:36 AM
I never really noticed, does this work with the rods?
IMO it should, but I'm not sure.

Cog
2010-10-09, 09:20 PM
A sorcerer still must take a full-round action when using a metamagic rod, just as if using a metamagic feat he possesses.
So, it depends on whether you value the first half or second half of that sentence more...

ericgrau
2010-10-09, 11:49 PM
Even the first half says "still". I'd say it would work.

heymejack
2010-10-10, 02:29 AM
wait, a sorcerer can't quicken his spells? or use a metamagic rod (quicken) to cast as a free action?

i didn't know that. can someone make this very clear for me?

DwarfFighter
2010-10-10, 04:33 AM
It's in the description of metamagic feats:

http://dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Metamagic_Feats

"Sorcerers and bards choose spells as they cast them. They can choose when they cast their spells whether to apply their metamagic feats to improve them. As with other spellcasters, the improved spell uses up a higher-level spell slot. But because the sorcerer or bard has not prepared the spell in a metamagic form in advance, he must apply the metamagic feat on the spot. Therefore, such a character must also take more time to cast a metamagic spell (one enhanced by a metamagic feat) than he does to cast a regular spell. If the spell’s normal casting time is 1 action, casting a metamagic version is a full-round action for a sorcerer or bard. (This isn’t the same as a 1-round casting time.)"

Also, the Quicken Spell metamagic feat:

http://dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Quicken_Spell

"Special: This feat can't be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously), since applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell automatically increases the casting time to a full-round action."

-DF