PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Shadow evocation/conjuration on yourself?

bot
2010-10-09, 11:06 AM
Hey guys - long time reader, first time poster.

I'm greatly intriged by the shadowcast mage build, tho without the all out dirty tricks.

However i'm confused about how far i can go with shadow evocation/conjuration spells (silent image+ heightened spell)
- can i cast a mount spell and ride the horse myself?
- Can i cast mage armor on myself?
- How about create magic tattoo on myself?

.. and what about if i did it for others in the party, will they have to fail a will save before they can gain the benefits?

Hope you can help me

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-09, 11:25 AM
You can use shadow illusions on yourself - and you don't have to make a Will save if you don't want to I think?

bot
2010-10-09, 12:10 PM
You can use shadow illusions on yourself - and you don't have to make a Will save if you don't want to I think?

Yeah ok, so the idea is that yes I know for a fact its an illusion but I can accept it as part of my reality and therefore it is?

Kantolin
2010-10-09, 01:06 PM
You can always choose to willingly fail a will save.

Alternately, you could look at it at believing in the part that is real - all of those spells are actually partially real, after all.

bot
2010-10-10, 11:34 AM
super, thanks. Just wanted to be sure.

Another question - could a neutral, or perhaps even a good character cast a shadow evocation [evil] spell, such as Vile Lance without actually being evil? I mean it's technically just an illusion and not actually evil - or what would you say?

WinWin
2010-10-10, 11:50 AM
I think only divine casters have to worry about alignment restrictions on spells. I could be wrong though.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-10, 12:07 PM
I think only divine casters have to worry about alignment restrictions on spells. I could be wrong though.

You are not wrong. Well, kinda. Divine casters (Clerics, anyway) can't prepare spells not of the same alignment as them.

Casting an aligned spell is an action of that alignment - casting Protection From Evil is a Good act, for instance. So if you have a PrC or feat or something that says you lose it if you ever perform an evil action... don't cast Animate Dead.

The Glyphstone
2010-10-10, 01:29 PM
The weird questions come when you automatically disbelieve something with greater than 100% reality. Does your conjured mount move faster than a real one?