PDA

View Full Version : Photography in the Playground

Haruki-kun
2010-10-10, 09:08 PM
So currently in college having to take Photography. Srs Business Photography, with an SLR Camera and everything.

I both, love and hate it. I love it because... well, it's rather interesting, really. I like taking pictures. Hate it because my camera works with.... FILM! :smalleek:

While all my classmates have digital SLR cameras, I work with film. It's pretty expensive... and I have to wait a day to know if the pictures even came out right or not.

Anyway, I took the natural approach to anything I do in real life and started a thread on it here. :smalltongue: So any Playgrounders into Photography of any kind? Stories? Comments? Photography thread, go!

PS: I really didn't know whether to put this in Friendly Banter or Arts and Crafts, so I decided to make the "safe" choice. Sorry if it's in the wrong section.

Maximum Zersk
2010-10-10, 10:01 PM
I think it'd go in the Arts and Crafts section. I mean, Photography is art, no matter what the haters say. :smalltongue:

Winter_Wolf
2010-10-10, 10:50 PM
Wow, a film camera. Do they even make film anymore? I had horrible luck with film, and a lot of wasted shots and lost memories on account of that stuff. I'm a digital convert/victim.

I enjoy photography, but I've never taken any kind of classes in it. Probably my shots don't measure up to people who've had education in it, but since I don't make a living taking pictures it's probably just as well. Most of my stuff is landscapes or inventory pictures, which would turn out immensely better with proper equipment like high wattage lights, proper light box and backdrops, and a basic understanding of the macro feature of the camera I have. :smalltongue: Also, I never have a camera when I need one, but if I carry one around just in case, I'm virtually guaranteed never to use it.

I've taken to Photoshop and RAW image editing to make up for my shortcomings as a photographer, since a lot of times, the shots are one five second opportunity and it's lost forever type stuff.

Vaynor
2010-10-10, 11:03 PM
I quite like using film for photography, but I definitely prefer digital overall, mostly for ease.

Photography is a hobby of mine, although my skill is debatable.

Here's a gallery of some of my older stuff, I haven't updated it in a while though. (http://www.vaynor.smugmug.com)

These were taken with a Canon 20D.

The Red Towel: And yes, this should be in Arts and Crafts, no big deal. Moved.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-10, 11:14 PM
I love photography. One of my big regrets is that I didn't take it in high school (for some absurd reason I took maths instead).

I have a digital camera, that I describe as not an SLR but the next best thing. And now, thanks to a friend, I have a tripod to use with it. I love my monster, but to do anything really fancy it needs a tripod.

I've never done a course, though I'd love to if I could find one. I have a knack for taking really awesome shots by accident. I'd like to learn to do it on purpose :smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2010-10-11, 11:21 AM
Wow, a film camera. Do they even make film anymore? I had horrible luck with film, and a lot of wasted shots and lost memories on account of that stuff. I'm a digital convert/victim.

Some of it. Lots of formats are discontinued already.

And I pretty much hate it. I lost several shots because apparently "sometimes it happens in the end of films". It takes ages to get it developed.

@Vaynor: Hey, those are pretty good! Wanna share some wisdom with a student who doesn't want to retake the course? :smalltongue: