PDA

View Full Version : The Euphoric (3.5 Wilder PrC)

Lix Lorn
2010-10-12, 08:20 AM
Euphoric
”Throughout the entire battle, the expression on his face stayed the same… bliss.”

Background: All Wilders experience the unbelievable pleasure of a successful power, a rush of euphoric emotion that few others can reach.
Some decide that this feeling is better than any other.
Races: Any race can become a Euphoric, although it is most common among humans, or races with naturally psionic tendencies.
Other Classes: Euphorics are generally looked upon as strange by most classes, although some Sorcerers can appreciate their love of their abilities.
Role: A Euphoric can, due to their morale bonus applying on attack and damage rolls, actually serve as a slight melee combatant. What’s more, they can provide minor buffs, but their primary abilities are their manifesting.
Euphorics in the World: Euphorics are a rare subset of Wilders. Those that know of them tend to think of them as either amusing or idiotic.
Inspiration: I don’t remember who, but someone was saying how Surging Euphoria was a very cool ability that doesn’t get any attention.

Prerequisites
Special: Surging Euphoria class ability, Manifester level 5.

HD: d6
Class Skills: The Euphoric’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points per Level: 4 + Intelligence modifier

Level
BaB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Manifesting

+0
+0
+0
+2
Extended Euphoria, Euphoric Daze
-

+1
+0
+0
+3
Psychic Enervation, Wild Surge +1
+1 level of existing manifesting class

+2
+1
+1
+3
Euphoric Energy

+3
+1
+1
+4
Enhanced Euphoria, Surging Euphoria +1

+3
+1
+1
+4
Euphoric Avoidance, Euphoric Dependency

+4
+2
+2
+5
Euphoric Might, Euphoric Surge
-

+5
+2
+2
+5
Surging Euphoria +2

+6
+2
+2
+6
Contagious Euphoria

+6
+3
+3
+6
Euphoric Insight

+7
+3
+3
+7
Euphoric Will, Surging Euphoria +3, Wild Surge +2

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: A Euphoric gains no new weapon or armour proficiencies.

Powers Known: At every level except first and sixth, a Euphoric gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if he had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, and so on). This essentially means that he adds the level of Euphoric to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly.
If a character had more than one manifesting class before he became a Euphoric, he must decide to which class he adds the new level of Euphoric for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known, and manifester level.

Extended Euphoria: A Euphoric’s Surging Euphoria ability can last longer than most Wilder’s. They gain the benefit of Surging Euphoria for a number of rounds equal to their primary manifesting ability modifier, unless it would be greater otherwise. In addition, whenever they trigger the Surging Euphoria ability while it is already active, they add the durations together.

Euphoric Daze: A Euphoric gains the benefits of his Surging Euphoria ability even when suffering from Psychic Enervation.

Psychic Enervation (Ex): A Euphoric of second level who does not have the Psychic Enervation ability gains it. If they already have it, then their Wild Surge gained from this class counts against it as per normal.
Exception: If the Wilder class no longer suffers Psychic Enervation, neither does this class.

Wild Surge (Su): Functions as per the Wilder ability of the same name, and stacks with it for all purposes if they already have this ability.

Euphoric Energy (Ex): A third level Euphoric can channel the blissful energies within their body to drive themselves.
If in a euphoric state caused by Surging Euphoria or any similar ability, a Euphoric can end the state as a free action, even if this condition would normally make them unable to take actions, losing all benefits, and remove one of the following effects on themselves:
Confused, Cowering, Dazed, Fatigued, Fascinated, Frightened, Nauseated, Paralyzed, Shaken, Sickened, Stunned or Turned.
(Other effects may also apply; if in doubt as to whether it is a reasonable extension to remove an adverse condition, ask your DM.)

Enhanced Euphoria: A Euphoric of at least 4th level may add half his primary manifesting ability modifier to the morale bonus granted by Surging Euphoria.

Surging Euphoria (Ex): At 4th, 7th and 10th level, the morale bonus granted by Surging Euphoria is increased by one.
Any reference in this class to a Euphoric State applies to that caused by Surging Euphoria, or any similar ability.

Euphoric Avoidance: A Euphoric of 5th level is moving near constantly, in a slightly hyperactive state from the emotion coursing through them. While in the state caused by his Surging Euphoria ability, he may add half the bonus it grants (Including the benefit from Enhanced Euphoria) to his AC as a dodge bonus.

Euphoric Dependency A Euphoric of 5th level or higher finds it hard to function without the sensation granted by his Surging Euphoria. If they go for more than an hour without triggering their Surging Euphoria ability, they suffer a morale penalty equal in size to the bonus normally granted by Surging Euphoria, including the increase granted by Enhanced Euphoria.

However, they become excellent at triggering this state. By spending a number of power points equal to the morale bonus granted by his Surging Euphoria, a Euphoric may trigger that ability. This is an immediate action.

Euphoric Might: A Euphoric of 6th level finds his powers hold more strength while he is in a euphoric state. While his Surging Euphoria ability is active, he adds two to his manifester level.

Euphoric Surge: A Euphoric of 6th level can sacrifice their euphoric state to boost their manifester level still higher. While manifesting a power, they may raise their manifester level by a further two, and augment the power with two extra power points, as per wild surge. If they do, then their euphoric state ends immediately after the power is resolved, and they cannot enter a euphoric state for the next two rounds. At tenth level, this penalty is reduced to only the next round.

Contagious Euphoria: A Euphoric of 8th level inspires his allies with a feeling of power, and a little recklessness. Whenever a Euphoric enters his euphoric state, all allies within 30ft enter a similar state. They gain the benefits of the Surging Euphoria, Euphoric Avoidance and half of the Euphoric Might abilitie until the state ends, although they do not increase their morale bonus with Enhanced Euphoria.

Euphoric Insight: A Euphoric of 9th level is full of energy, and is hard to catch by surprise. They maintain dodge and dexterity bonuses to AC even when flat-footed.

Euphoric Will: While in a euphoric state, a 10th level Euphoric may add half his Surging Euphoria bonus, not counting that granted by Enhanced Euphoria, to the save DC of any powers he manifests.

Any comments on the class for a poor, underrated mechanic?

kryan
2010-10-12, 11:07 PM
Is there any class aside from the Wilder that gets Surging Euphoria? It sounds like there is from the way you've written this, but I don't know of any... and if there are, it seems like they'd have to have Wild Surge/Psychic Enervation, since Surging Euphoria only works when you use Wild Surge, doesn't it?

Anyway... I don't think Surging Euphoria is really underrated; it really is bad. Attack and damage rolls just aren't that important for a manifester usually. :smallfrown:

Your additions are pretty cool though. Euphoric Might makes up for the lost Manifester Level pretty neatly, and Euphoric Surge is awesome. Can you use Wild Surge and Euphoric Surge at the same time? That could get kind of crazy on the nova-ing, but it's also really cool. Euphoric Will is awesome, but it seems like it should almost maybe come earlier (since it scales with Surging Euphoria).

Contagious Euphoria strikes me as "the reason" to take this class. Any nearby Manifester will love you for doing that.

Anyway, this seems really cool!

Roc Ness
2010-10-13, 01:00 AM
*Whistle*

I gotta say, this is a really nice class, almost makes me wanna pick myself off my but and familiarize with psionics. :smalltongue:

Now, down to PEACHin':
Let's see. I would say that this PRC is mechanically very close to some psionic version of a prestige class Bard. While bards can get stupid with dragonfire inspiration and snowflake wardance, this can just OP off the spot, which makes it good competitively. It also grants a similar bonus to allies as the bard (as long as the bard doesn't invest very hard to OP it). It is also a pseudo-gish class.

The main difference I can see (apart from skill points) is that this PRC gets 9th level manisfestations, making it a lot more powerful than a bard, who only gets 9th level spells by sacrificing all his other class features, or at least by investing incredibly heavily into optimisation. My personal opinion is that you should cut back manisfester levels, otherwise this becomes OP heaven, or just overpowered normal heaven. I'd suggest swiftblade casting progression (lose out on manisfesting at levels 1, 4, 7 & 10), so that somebody taking the class would have to choose between 9th level manisfestations or super-high DCs. :smallcool:

Also nitpick: You've got a typo in the table for Extended Euphoria. Where's the E, Lix? :smalltongue:

But yeah, nice class. You make me wanna play a guy who says: "Woah man, like, look and see, like, this stuff I'm on can totally mess with your mind too!" :smallbiggrin:

Lix Lorn
2010-10-13, 03:26 AM
Not that I know of, but it's worth closing the loopholes just in case.

Yeah, you're probably right there. Shame. XD

Euphoric Will is intended as a Capstone. Yes, you can combine Euphoric and Wild Surge-notice how Wild Surge comes every third level for Wilders, and Euphoric Surge goes where Wild Surge would be.
Anyhoo, thanks. :)

Hmm... I'm loathe to remove 9th level manifestations. Almost any PrC that does that for magic is generally hailed as USELESS!, and I'm not sure if the same applies for manifesting...

Roc Ness
2010-10-13, 03:34 AM
Hmm... I'm loathe to remove 9th level manifestations. Almost any PrC that does that for magic is generally hailed as USELESS!, and I'm not sure if the same applies for manifesting...

Problem is, then the bonus to Attack and Damage rolls from surging euphoria would be less than useful. :smallfrown: And people'll only take this class for the bonuses to saves, AC, save DCs and lose virtually nothing. The wilder didn't really have much going that this PRC doesn't already give. And the prerequisites are terribly easy...

Its like the Abjurant Champion, but with possibly even greater payoff, way easier to get in, and a really, really good capstone (monster saves often suck enough... plus psionics seems to use a lot of stuff with saves (although I don't know psionics that well, I guess...). :smallfrown: And then DMs might ban it... I'm always scared of that last bit.

EDIT: Swiftblade was never hailed as useless. :smallwink:

zenanarchist
2010-10-13, 03:39 AM
I'm about to play a Wilder....And I think I'm going to ask to play this homebrew. Brilliant job Lix!

Lix Lorn
2010-10-13, 03:42 AM
Thank you. :)
I love Wilders... but I heard they weren't amazing. Maybe this'll help. XP

zenanarchist
2010-10-13, 04:14 AM
They aren't amazing. Wild Surge is their best ability....Their lack of powers is absolutely KILLER. They could easily have been given one more power of each level and it not effect the class too much.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-13, 04:17 AM
It's a shame. They're very cool.

zenanarchist
2010-10-13, 04:35 AM
Agreed. They could probably just be a tad more powerful. Tee hee.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-13, 04:40 AM
Hello, shiny PrC just for them. (giggles)

zenanarchist
2010-10-13, 04:50 AM
Which I'mma taking! Along with the Educated Wilder ACF.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-13, 04:53 AM
Lol. XD
(I mean, who would take Volatile Mind over Extended Knowledge? LOLWTF.)

zenanarchist
2010-10-13, 04:59 AM
Bahahaha so true. Anyway, I'm derailing your thread :smallannoyed: Love the class!! Will update you if it's allowed in.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-13, 05:17 AM
Thanks. :)

kryan
2010-10-13, 10:29 AM
On losing Manifester Levels: only one Psionic PrC in the XPH doesn't lose a Manifester Level at 1st (Elocator, who has ridiculous pre-reqs and loses at 2nd anyway), so you should probably do that. Losing at 6th also makes sense because Euphoric Might somewhat makes up for it, plus Euphoric Might is a much stronger feature than Avoidance (and Dependency is a bad thing, for the most part). So 1st and 6th.

I think losing more than that is a terrible idea.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-13, 11:08 AM
You might be on to something there... alright.

Violet Octopus
2010-10-13, 11:40 AM
I have a soft spot for wilders as well, so it's nice to see them get special stuff just for them.

Is it intentional to be able to enter at level 5, since level 6 or greater is the custom?

The text still only has a loss of ML at fifth level.

Euphoric Energy is quite nice, and makes me want to stat up some undead wilder NPCs. While the intent of the ability is clear, as-written it can't let you remove daze (and maybe other conditions, as I can never remember them all), because under daze you can't take any actions.

It seems strange for Enhanced Euphoria to come at level 4, only to be followed by +1 increases, but I guess your point is that to make Surging Euphoria notable, the bonus needs to be included fairly early.

Euphoric Avoidance is flavourful and good for the gish role you're going for, but because of Euphoric Energy I keep thinking of dancing skeletons...

Perhaps with the loss of another ML, Euphoric Might could give a +2 bonus instead? While I agree with the reasons for lowering the class to 8/10 manifesting, if it can't resemble a full manifester in raw output it somewhat defeats the purpose of playing a wilder.

As others have said, Contagious Euphoria makes for a cool quasi-bard character.

I think I might just make all base-class wilders have a progression like this. Awesome job :smallsmile:

Lix Lorn
2010-10-13, 12:30 PM
I took quite a few bits of advice. :)