PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Druid and Monk

Mordaenor
2010-10-12, 11:28 AM
So, I like the variant rule in Unearthed Arcana that turns the Bard, Paladin, and Ranger classes into Prestige classes. The more I thought about it, it seemed to me the Monk and the Druid could also fall into the same category. To that end below are my first attempt to turn these base classes in Prestige Classes. I'd welcome any feed back for ideas to improve/balance them.

Note: One of my solutions was to turn some of their lower level abilities into Feats.

Prestige Druid

Req:
Feats: Nature Sense, Woodland Stride

Skills: Knowledge(Nature) 8 Animal Handle 6

Special: Ability to cast Animal Friendship and Summon Nature's Ally

BAB F R W
1st +0 +2 +0 +2 Wild shape (3/Day), Trackless Step, Wild Empathy
2nd +1 +3 +0 +3 Wild shape (4/Day, Large)
3rd +2 +3 +1 +3 A thousand faces, Wild Shape (Plant, Tiny)
4th +3 +4 +1 +4 Wild shape (5/day)
5th +3 +4 +1 +4 Timeless body, wild shape (Huge)
6th +4 +5 +2 +5 Wild shape (elemental 1/day)
7th +5 +5 +2 +5
8th +6 +6 +2 +6 Wild shape (6/day, elemental 2/day)
9th +6 +6 +3 +6
10th +7 +7 +3 +7 Wild shape (elemental 3/day, Huge elemental)

Prestige Monk:

Req:
BAB +6

Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Flurry of Blows, Evasion, Fast Move

Skill: Jump 6, Tumble 6,

1st +1 +2 +2 +2 Ki Strike, Improved Evasion, Improved flurry, Advanced Unarmed, Danger Sense, AC +1 Speed +30 ft.
2nd +2 +3 +3 +3 Abundant step, slow fall 20 ft., Speed +40 ft.
3rd +3 +3 +3 +3 Diamond soul, Diamond Body AC +2
4th +4 +4 +4 +4 Slow fall 40 ft.
5th +5 +4 +4 +4 Quivering palm, Expert Unarmed, Greater Flurry, Speed +50 ft.
6th +6 +5 +5 +5 Slow fall 60 ft., AC+3
7th +7 +5 +5 +5 Timeless body, tongue of the sun and moon
8th +8 +6 +6 +6 Slow fall 80 ft. Speed+60 ft.
9th +9 +6 +6 +6 Empty body
10th +10 +7 +7 +7 Perfect self, Master Unarmed, slow fall any distance AC +4

Danger Sense: Add Monk's Wisdom to AC.

Advanced Unarmed Strike: Unarmed Damage increases to 1d10

Expert Unarmed: Unarmed damage increase to 2d8

Master Unarmed: Damage increase to 2d10

Mordaenor
2010-10-15, 01:09 PM
Nobody has any feedback?

arguskos
2010-10-15, 03:26 PM
1. Multi-bumping is frowned upon on this forum.

2. I will GUARANTEE someone will point out that this is very disorganized and is not formatted at all. I am not as picky as some others are, but you may wish to format it for ease of reading.

3. Why are these 10 levels long? The other Prestige classes are 15 levels long. Seems an odd choice.

Mordaenor
2010-10-15, 03:41 PM
Thanks arguskos. I actually didn't mean to bump, I was actually responding to another post, but that person then deleted their post.

Thanks for your feedback, I'm used to most Prestige classes being only 10, I hadn't even noticed the Prestige Brd/Pal/Rgr were 15. Thanks for the tip I will consider revising them.

arguskos
2010-10-15, 03:45 PM
Thanks arguskos. I actually didn't mean to bump, I was actually responding to another post, but that person then deleted their post.

Thanks for your feedback, I'm used to most Prestige classes being only 10, I hadn't even noticed the Prestige Brd/Pal/Rgr were 15. Thanks for the tip I will consider revising them.
Happens. As for the Prestige Brd/Pal/Rgr, yeah, they're 15. Might want to rebuild accordingly, it'll let you space stuff out as well and invent new features if you'd like to.

Anderson_Mind
2010-10-15, 04:06 PM
This is a cool idea, I always like the "Prestigious Base Classes" concept as an option. The ones in UA are 15 levels long, and so they seem to require multiclassing in order to qualify in time.

If you think of a druid as a prestigious specialization of a cleric that opens a few issues. Adding the druid spell list on top of the cleric's, for example, might be too powerful without heavy prerequisites. And does the clerics spontaneous cure spells turn into summon natures ally?

Some perquisites for the 15 level version might be:
* Alignment: Any Neutral
* Skills: Knowledge (Nature) 5 ranks
* Special: Ability to cast at Barkskin and Dominate Animal

There is also the question of other classes the might find a way to qualify. Spirit Shaman probably could fairly easily, but that seems to be not much of a problem. There is also the Shugenja that is a divine caster that might qualify.

Still, these issues are resolvable and the idea of specialized casters is an interesting one. It opens the door to prestige beguilers, warmages and dread necromancers.

A monk + cleric might qualify for a "Prestige Sohei" class. If you are using the pathfinder monk, a monk + rouge might qualify for a "Prestige Ninja" combining ki powers, stealth and sneak attack.

Others might be Prestige spelltheif, healer, duskblade and hexblade. The more character options the better.

Good luck with this idea!