PDA

View Full Version : Who's the better sneak?

Kaeso
2010-10-13, 08:54 AM
I'm interested in making a sneaky kind of character (an assassin or something) and I'd like to know which class is better suited for the role: Swordsage, Beguiler or some other class?

The swordsage could be a good choice because it has alot of skill points and maneuvres and stances, but most of his maneuvers (save for a handful from the shadow hand school) are too flashy to be stealthy. He also has a d8 HD, 3/4 BAB, wis to AC and offensive maneuvres that will still make him a viable party member when faced with open combat.

The beguiler also has alot of skill points, but his stealth potential is expanded with a list full of stealth-based spells (illusion, and enchantement to help with the social element). On the flip side he has a meagre d6 HD, the worst BAB in the game and hardly any direct damage spells so when he's faced with a situation that doesn't require stealth or subtlety he's a sitting duck.

Maybe you guys could help me pick a class, or even suggest a third class that outshines the swordsage and beguiler? Of course you can also suggest multiclass- or Prc strategems that will cover the weaknesses of the beguiler or swordsage.

Heliomance
2010-10-13, 08:59 AM
It's not actually got the worst BAB in the game. That honour is shared by the Warhulk and the Survivor.

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 09:00 AM
Who is the better sneak, the sneak, or the sneak who follows the sneak? :smalltongue:

Greenish
2010-10-13, 09:11 AM
Only Desert Wind maneuvers are what I'd call "flashy". Well, some of the Setting Sun ones can be, depending on who you toss.

Still, as long as you have decent Dex, hide/move silently as class skills (and possibly dip Shadowdancer), you'll have sneaking covered, so you should think what else do you want to do.

Grynning
2010-10-13, 09:19 AM
Deja vu here, but I'm going to suggest Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) for the best entry-level stealth class. It's basically got everything the regular rogue does, but also has powers. You can still dip Swordsage or use Martial Study/Stance to pick up Assassin's Stance somehow, and you're gtg.

Boci
2010-10-14, 08:38 AM
Factotum is pretty good since they get int modifier to move silent and hide, plus tons of other goodies such as a limited amount of spells, and many ways to get extra damage for the suprise attack.