PDA

View Full Version : So... Buying a car.

Isak
2010-10-13, 02:15 PM
So, today I was offered what seems to be an excellent deal.

My Sister-in-laws boss is selling a 1997 Camaro RS. Minor damage on front of passenger side. Brand new engine (Old one died, new one has less than 1000 miles on it). V6 Automatic, GREAT condition overall. Even a very comfy fit, despite being a sports car and me being 6'2''. The asking price was $2500; but he's offering to give it to me for $1000. Got to test drive it around a parking lot. The handling seems excellent, the brakes are good. Acceleration felt powerful. Shoots into high RPM's nicely for some very nice growling engines sounds :smallbiggrin:

Now, $1000 is something I can totally pay for... Over time. I'm looking into a personal loan through my step-brothers/Dad.

My problem is... Is it worth it? My Mom and I share a 1993 Honda Accord EX. It runs great, despite having almost 200,000 miles on it. Has anyone here owned this specific car? Or one similar to this? I figure the upkeep is probably a bit pricey compared to the Honda. This specific car I've seen anywhere between 3-10x the price I'd be getting it for; so that's certainly a deal. Being a 21 year old male, with a sports car, I know the insurance will also be expensive.

Flickerdart
2010-10-13, 02:19 PM
A 17 year-old car isn't exactly safe...maybe you could get your mom to pitch in and buy this new one.

Frozen_Feet
2010-10-13, 02:19 PM
What do you need the car for? That's the biggest determining factor.

I'm a bit worried about that "over time" thing - do you have steady source of income for yourself? If you don't, I'd say getting a car of any kind will be more trouble than it's worth; 1000 $ is cheap. If you can't afford that from one month's wage, chances are expense of use is going to leave you struggling.

LCR
2010-10-13, 02:21 PM
I'm not familiar with that kind of car, but it sounds like a good deal. $1000 isn't a lot of money for a car, even a car that old.
Make sure to check for for oxidation. Maybe check out a car community online, there are usually common defects for every kind of car, so make sure to avoid those.
If there don't seem to be major defects, go for it.

Isak
2010-10-13, 02:32 PM
A 17 year-old car isn't exactly safe...maybe you could get your mom to pitch in and buy this new one.

The Honda is old. But Honda's tend to run well even at that age. I've just done a LOT of engine and general car maintenance this past year.

The thing about buying this Camaro, is that it's MY car. That I bought with my own money. I'd rather not have my immediate family help pay for it. A loan? That's different.

What do you need the car for? That's the biggest determining factor.

I'm a bit worried about that "over time" thing - do you have steady source of income for yourself? If you don't, I'd say getting a car of any kind will be more trouble than it's worth; 1000 $ is cheap. If you can't afford that from one month's wage, chances are expense of use is going to leave you struggling.

That's the thing. We don't ABSOLUTELY need the car. Will it help? Yes. My sister works for a party company that has us driving all over the state. I work 20-30 hours a week in retail (With the Holiday season coming up, I expect that to go into 30-40 hours a week). By "Over-Time", I meant that shelling out $1000 in cash today/tomorrow/this week would be impossible by my own means. I'm trying to see if I can get a payment plan through the owner, paying $100 every week or something similar. The $1000 is definitely payable in that regards.

I'm not familiar with that kind of car, but it sounds like a good deal. $1000 isn't a lot of money for a car, even a car that old.
Make sure to check for for oxidation. Maybe check out a car community online, there are usually common defects for every kind of car, so make sure to avoid those.
If there don't seem to be major defects, go for it.

The car itself looks great. Other than the small body-kit damage, I couldn't see any faults with it; Pretty much just cosmetic damage. Several close friends who are very knowledgeable about cars even confirmed what I thought.

kyoryu
2010-10-13, 02:34 PM
The insurance won't be as bad with a V6 as it would be a V8. Still, look into it - that could easily be more than the cost of the car in the first year.

If you're relying on a 1993, having a backup car isn't a bad plan, no matter what. Even if it's not as reliable as you might want, having two unreliable cars is a lower chance of total failure than having just one.

You're not going to get a lot for $1000. But, you'll be better off going through a personal contact to get a $1000 car than some random shmoe.

Zen Monkey
2010-10-13, 02:50 PM
Go to the major companies online, and get some insurance quotes up front. In addition to the purchase of the car, the cost of insurance and maintenance (even just gas, routine oil changes and such) should be taken into consideration.

mangosta71
2010-10-13, 02:51 PM
@LCR: The Camaro is Chevy's "sports car". However, it's old enough that the insurance shouldn't be too expensive.

@Flicker: I'd trust a 17-year-old Honda over a 13-year-old Chevy, personally. But that's based on my personal experience with the two brands, which is admittedly one vehicle of each make, so YMMV.

How did the damage on the front end happen? Cars that have been in wrecks, even if they've seemingly been perfectly repaired, are prone to a lot of problems. You're right in that it will cost more to maintain and insure than the Honda you're currently driving.

Check out the Kelley Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com/) online to find out how much the car is actually worth before you make a final decision.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-10-13, 02:53 PM
From the sound of it, you want our help convincing you to buy the car. $1000 for a car is super cheap. A Camaro is also cool (which you can't say about older Accords, they only start looking decent in the late 90's and don't look cool til at least 2002 or so).

The question, however, is that if you can't shell out $1000 easily, can you afford to pay insurance and maintenance? I'm guessing you can do basic repairs like replacing the battery or whatever (I know nothing about cars) yourself, but depending on your knowledge you may still have to take it into the shop for a check-up. Plus a V6 is going to use up much, much more gas than an Accord. If we assume it eats up twice the gas and you'll probably be driving more (since the car is your own), you can easily expect to pay 3 times more for gas than you do now.

Plus, I'm guessing you're in your late teens/very early twenties. You probably don't have much driving experience from an insurance company standpoint. Which means pretty high insurance premiums (right now since the car is your mom's, her premiums are probably pretty low). Shop around and see how much you'd be paying.

Now do the math and see if you can afford it.

PS: but do take into account that you likely won't get a decent car for $1000 otherwise.

kyoryu
2010-10-13, 03:01 PM
What Don said.

It's like a "free puppy." They ain't free once you get them home and have to buy them toys, bowls, leashes, food, take them to the vet, etc.

Isak
2010-10-13, 03:15 PM
@LCR: The Camaro is Chevy's "sports car". However, it's old enough that the insurance shouldn't be too expensive.

@Flicker: I'd trust a 17-year-old Honda over a 13-year-old Chevy, personally. But that's based on my personal experience with the two brands, which is admittedly one vehicle of each make, so YMMV.

How did the damage on the front end happen? Cars that have been in wrecks, even if they've seemingly been perfectly repaired, are prone to a lot of problems. You're right in that it will cost more to maintain and insure than the Honda you're currently driving.

Check out the Kelley Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com/) online to find out how much the car is actually worth before you make a final decision.

I'm partially figuring on that much as well. The car would be insured under my Mom, with me as a secondary driver (Until I turn 25, in which I get an insurance break :smalltongue:).

From what I've been told (And the information is reliable), the damage occurred during a minor accident. The damage only looks like it was to the body kit itself, and not to anything important. During the test drive, nothing felt "wrong" with the car, nor was it making any strange sounds from that particular area.

The Blue Book value of this particular car is between $4600-4900.

From the sound of it, you want our help convincing you to buy the car. $1000 for a car is super cheap. A Camaro is also cool (which you can't say about older Accords, they only start looking decent in the late 90's and don't look cool til at least 2002 or so).

The question, however, is that if you can't shell out $1000 easily, can you afford to pay insurance and maintenance? I'm guessing you can do basic repairs like replacing the battery or whatever (I know nothing about cars) yourself, but depending on your knowledge you may still have to take it into the shop for a check-up. Plus a V6 is going to use up much, much more gas than an Accord. If we assume it eats up twice the gas and you'll probably be driving more (since the car is your own), you can easily expect to pay 3 times more for gas than you do now.

Plus, I'm guessing you're in your late teens/very early twenties. You probably don't have much driving experience from an insurance company standpoint. Which means pretty high insurance premiums (right now since the car is your mom's, her premiums are probably pretty low). Shop around and see how much you'd be paying.

Now do the math and see if you can afford it.

PS: but do take into account that you likely won't get a decent car for $1000 otherwise.

You're partially right. I am trying to convince myself whether or not this is a good idea. I've been maintaining my Honda for about 3 years (The same amount of time I've been driving). I'm familiar with basic maintenance of cars (Spark plugs/wires, filters, oil changes, the usual stuff). Don't expect me to fix a transmission, but I have friends who are more than capable of that, and have done so in the past.

It certainly is a cool car, and Camaro's are the younger, red headed step-children of my absolute favorite car in existence (Corvette's). So... This is like the first step on the road towards my dream car. It's something I want. And not only want, but it's something I want to take the responsibility of for Myself. It's hard to actually describe.

The maintenance costs, insurance, gas; All of that is certainly able to be taken care of. I'm just trying to see if at my age, investing in my own car is worth it.

kyoryu
2010-10-13, 03:42 PM
It's something I want. And not only want, but it's something I want to take the responsibility of for Myself. It's hard to actually describe.

The maintenance costs, insurance, gas; All of that is certainly able to be taken care of. I'm just trying to see if at my age, investing in my own car is worth it.

Actually, it's not hard to describe at all. It's a very adult notion, and you should be commended for that.

As far as "if it's worth it," I'd have to say "probably," quickly followed by "depending on what the realistic costs are compared to your income."

It will cost you, both in time and money, to have the car. Is that worth it to you? Or, to look at it another way, what's the opportunity cost of having the car? What would you do with the money and time if you didn't have the car? Is that a good tradeoff in your mind?

mangosta71
2010-10-13, 04:08 PM
Sounds like a good deal, then. At the very least, if it turns out to be more expensive than you anticipated, you can sell it for a profit.

My comment about damage was due to the fact that I have purchased used vehicles before, and they seemed perfectly fine on the test drive, and turned out to have frame damage when I took them in for oil and alignment.

Obrysii
2010-10-13, 04:13 PM

My 25-year-old Volkswagen is more reliable than my brother's 6-year-old Chevy was.

However, $1000 for a well-running car is a great price regardless of its age.

Remember, just because it's old doesn't mean it isn't good. New doesn't mean better by default.

Jack Squat
2010-10-13, 04:16 PM
Sounds like a good deal, then. At the very least, if it turns out to be more expensive than you anticipated, you can sell it for a profit.

My comment about damage was due to the fact that I have purchased used vehicles before, and they seemed perfectly fine on the test drive, and turned out to have frame damage when I took them in for oil and alignment.

Most places will do a free check-over. My family has always had a shop check over a used car before we agree to buy it. Doesn't always catch problems (my little brother's car has a clutch that keeps having problems pop up), but it'll catch a lot.

Syka
2010-10-13, 06:21 PM
Oz has had a '97 Firebird (the Camaro's Pontiac sister) for almost 8 years now, 3 of which I've been with him.

You have a leg up in that you wouldn't have the flip lights. Those have been one of Oz's biggest issues with the Firebird.

The fact it has a new engine is good- a guy I know from work fixes up old Camaro's in that age range, and it can be nigh impossible to find the parts.

That leads me to a major con of the last gen Camaro and Firebird- finding bits. Most places do not sell replacement wipers any more, and Chevy/Pontiac was...silly and made it so generic wipers won't fit. This is...an issue. You can probably find a similar model Firebird or Camaro in a junk yard to poach from, but it's by no means guaranteed.

Problems Oz has had that I can remember: the oil gauge thing that measures oil pressure went faulty but we thought it was an oil filter problem (fairly easy fix once you figure it out, did on our own); wiper blades currently stuck in the upright position (supposedly common, has to do with the disc, purely cosmetic, blades still work now...only stopped working once); door lock issues. As I said, don't need to worry about the headlight issue.

The biggest problem was a leak in the gas tubing. You'll know if it has that because it reeks of gas burning on the engine (which is, well, very dangerous). He drove around for WEEKS with it before taking it in. They clipped it and a leak popped up elsewhere. We had to try and scavange some tubing off of an old Camaro (failed), and the shop managed to find a good tube, but it was hard. It almost but the 'bird out of commission.

So, if possible, have someone take a close look at the tube and see if it looks like there are any weak spots. Other than that, though, it's been mostly minor issues.

For being a thirteen year old car, it's performed beautifully. No major engine issues, etc. He is absolutely in love with the Firebird, and from what I know the Camaro is very similar and should be as sturdy.

Just don't go driving it through puddles. :smallwink:

EDIT: Insurance. When he was around 21 in a cherry red V6 Firebird, it was over $200 a month (on his parents!). Ouchie. It got better after he turned 25 this year, though.

But it apparently gets pretty good MPG.

EDIT THE SECOND: The dashboard WILL crack if you leave it in the sun for any length of time. Try to garage keep it or a sunshield with Armorall. I've never seen a Firebird/Camaro without the cracks of doom.

Also, check the clear coat. If you live in an area unfriendly to cars (salty, etc), it's liable to be coming off. It might not rust, but the clear coat may be coming off. That's mostly cosmetic and can be patched yourself. It's a fairly common issue with Firebird's and Camaro's I've seen.

Oz's jaw dropped when I told him how much it was offered for. With a brand new engine, he said as long as the body is in good condition, go for it.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-13, 06:23 PM

New is never good: it is worth 1/2 that once you buy it.

Used is better as long as you get the car fax.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-10-13, 08:19 PM
All things considered, I'd say go for it, but take into account what Syka said about Oz's car.

thorgrim29
2010-10-13, 09:13 PM
I'd say find a mechanic and have a full checkup done, it might cost you 50 bucks or so, but then 3 things happen:
1: It's ok, confirming the fact that you want the car
2: Minor stuff, can give you leverage with the owner
3: Big stuff, you don't buy the car and you save a lot of cash

Don Julio Anejo
2010-10-13, 09:15 PM
I'd say find a mechanic and have a full checkup done, it might cost you 50 bucks or so, but then 3 things happen:
1: It's ok, confirming the fact that you want the car
2: Minor stuff, can give you leverage with the owner
3: Big stuff, you don't buy the car and you save a lot of cash
It's family so leverage with the owner isn't really an issue. He's also getting it at around a $3k discount on a $4k car.

Noircat
2010-10-14, 02:41 PM
Your Mom's car is quite old and won't last forever. I'd suggest from everything you said that this is a decent opportunity and that in the long run you'll be better off with this car than without it.

Isak
2010-10-14, 02:46 PM
So... I got news from my Dad.

He'll be lending me the money, and on Tuesday, I'll be the proud owner of a '97 Camaro RS :smallbiggrin:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs077.ash2/37185_437813131909_540316909_5802686_5811570_n.jpg

There's my new Baby :smallredface: :smallcool:

Syka
2010-10-14, 03:09 PM
Oh my god...it looks like the cousin of Oz's car. Same shade of red and everything. :smallbiggrin: Except the t-top (I think the picture shows that). If it is a t-top make sure you check it for leaks.

Enjoy it...if it's anything like Oz's 'bird, it'll be a great cruising car. Even his mom loves to drive it. :)

Isak
2010-10-14, 03:48 PM
Oh my god...it looks like the cousin of Oz's car. Same shade of red and everything. :smallbiggrin: Except the t-top (I think the picture shows that). If it is a t-top make sure you check it for leaks.

Enjoy it...if it's anything like Oz's 'bird, it'll be a great cruising car. Even his mom loves to drive it. :)

It is a T-Top. No leaks or anything like that, that I'm aware of. Some small tearing on the inside near the driver seat (Just cosmetic).

I'm really excited for this :smallbiggrin:

Syka
2010-10-14, 08:07 PM
Awesome. :) I just showed Oz the picture and this was his reaction.

Him: Awww....lucky, for a grand? That's better than mine.
Me: It's an RS, too.
Him: That (censored).

EDIT: Also, he said you'll love it. If you take care of it, it'll take care of you.

Obrysii
2010-10-14, 08:10 PM
Your Mom's car is quite old and won't last forever. I'd suggest from everything you said that this is a decent opportunity and that in the long run you'll be better off with this car than without it.

It's a honda. So long as it doesn't rust it likely won't die. And if it does, there's so many out there that parts are plentiful and (relatively) inexpensive.

As far as I've seen, of all the Hondas my group has owned, they've all died due to rust - the engines and suspensions, regardless of mileage, have always run fine.

Same goes for VW's, though they tend to be much higher maintenance. Parts are plentiful and they are pretty resistant to rust (Hondas, not so much).

TheThan
2010-10-14, 09:50 PM
I strongly suggest buying a used car from a reputable dealer. Modern cars tend to not last terribly long (15 years if your lucky). So I wouldn’t buy anything more than five years old.

But since this is a personal deal, I strongly suggest you get a car fax report on it. Also take the car to a trustworthy shop and have them check it out. Make sure they aren’t trying to sell you a lemon. Also what skya said about finding bits for older Cameros is true. My brother just traded in his 1999 Camero for a 2007 silverado pickup. Engine parts shouldn’t be too hard to find, but small bits like replacement wipers are a serious pain to find.

edit
also don't buy a Saturn, they're difficult to work on, and parts are impossible (and expensive ) to find. I've been doing car maintenance this week.

Isak
2010-10-19, 06:07 PM
:smallbiggrin:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs904.snc4/71763_440400821909_540316909_5841989_937586_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs891.snc4/72490_440400656909_540316909_5841983_5282493_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs763.snc4/66379_440400791909_540316909_5841988_7211393_n.jpg

LOVING My new toy!

I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who offered advice and helped further convince me to buy it. I'm already in love <3 :smallredface:

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 06:26 PM
You haven't owned a car till it makes you say at least 3 profanity laden sentences.

This can be positive or negative though!

Xyk
2010-10-19, 09:02 PM
I wish I were you.
:smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown: