2010-10-14, 12:50 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen!
Introducing!
The incredible!
The fantastic!
The glorious...
CHALLENGE

The simple rules of the CHALLENGE are as follows:

Each week, starting the week after you accept the CHALLENGE, you are to upload six pictures drawn by yourself. Preferably on each day, but since not everyone has daily access to a scanner you can also upload them in bunches. Sunday is the deadline. The picture needs to be more than a doodle. This is the only quality regulation there is, apart from your own conscience. Anyone is free to enter the CHALLENGE. If you fail the CHALLENGE your name is officially announced in this thread. Pictures are uploaded wherever you feel comfortable, provide a link when you enter the CHALLENGE. The CHALLENGE continues for as long as there are participants.

Current participants:
Rockbird (http://esradman.deviantart.com/) - 5 weeks
Fraudman (http://fraudman.deviantart.com/) - 5 weeks
IncoherentEssay (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169684) - 5 weeks
Jessicat (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172586)
Concrete (http://persistant.deviantart.com/) 1 week
Fritzell (http://fritzell.deviantart.com/) 1 week
Glass Mouse (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173190) - 5 weeks
HellfireLover

licoot
2010-10-14, 01:03 PM
i would enter this, but neither do I have access to a scanner, nor can I draw fast

IncoherentEssay
2010-10-14, 01:32 PM
I'd enter this.
Except, i can't draw worth squat :smalltongue:.
Therefore, is it possible to substitute stuff like this:
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/7472/golemb.jpg (http://img829.imageshack.us/i/golemb.jpg/)
in the place of drawings? Would be 6 different figurines in the place of 6 drawings.

Is that one good enough for the CHALLENGE?
Or is the CHALLENGE strictly for drawings?

Domochevsky
2010-10-14, 01:33 PM
What does THE CHALLENGE actually contain? Is there a theme? A specific topic per CHALLENGE? And where does "doodle" end? :smallconfused:

Rockbird
2010-10-14, 01:41 PM
There's no theme. The intent is simply to encourage us to draw. And sculptures would certainly work too, if you think it reasonable yourself.

The CHALLENGE is a question of endurance!

As for the definition of doodle...
Weeerll, it's not particularly strict. It's more or less meant to mean that if you feel that you've spent enough effort on the picture that it's not a doodle you made off-hand, it's fine. As a strict rule it's really meaningless, but that's not the point :smalltongue:

IncoherentEssay
2010-10-14, 02:00 PM
Alright then, i'm in.
I'll probably update in a single batch around thursday/friday. I assume we put them up wherever we normally put up stuff, and then post a 'done' notice in this thread?
Though since i keep my stuff here on these forums (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169684&page=2), a separete 'done' note would be kinda unnecessary :smalltongue:.
The first deadline would be next weeks Sunday, correct :smallsmile:?

Rockbird
2010-10-14, 02:07 PM
I'll just link that thread in the op, and you're in!

First deadline is Sunday the 24th, yes.

Glass Mouse
2010-10-15, 07:17 AM
Hey, that sounds like a great idea. I'll have to get my stuff together to get up a sketchbook first, but I might be able to make the next deadline.
Don't put my name up just yet, though. I don't want public humiliation if I'm slow about making an online sketch book :smallwink:

Dr.Epic
2010-10-15, 08:56 AM
I'll just link that thread in the op, and you're in!

First deadline is Sunday the 24th, yes.

So the next deadline would be the 31st right? And the first day of the next Challenge is the 25th right? Just trying to understand that. I can't do it this time, but I'd like to try the next round.

Rockbird
2010-10-16, 09:22 AM
So the next deadline would be the 31st right? And the first day of the next Challenge is the 25th right? Just trying to understand that. I can't do it this time, but I'd like to try the next round.

Yes and no. The next deadline is indeed the 31st, but the CHALLENGE doesn't end with each deadline. There is only one CHALLENGE, which is to keep going for as many weeks as you can. The deadlines are used as progress markers, if you will.

Jessicat
2010-10-16, 11:02 AM
I'm attempting a "draw every day" movement. I'm in. Do I just post them here?

Rockbird
2010-10-16, 11:58 AM
Preferably you'd set up a gallery somewhere else (I use DeviantArt). Things might get a bit cluttered here otherwise :smallwink:. Just provide a link to wherever you choose to upload the pictures.

Jessicat
2010-10-16, 12:01 PM
Hmm. I has a deviantart. That could work.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-16, 03:12 PM
Yes and no. The next deadline is indeed the 31st, but the CHALLENGE doesn't end with each deadline. There is only one CHALLENGE, which is to keep going for as many weeks as you can. The deadlines are used as progress markers, if you will.

:smallconfused:Based on that, I think sooner or later everyone will mess up. Nobody has that kind of time where they can create a brand new piece of art every day and put it online as well as handle the responsibilities of real life. I think you need to rethink that bit.

IncoherentEssay
2010-10-16, 03:48 PM
Well, i believe the IRONMAN-elements of the challenge are half the point really. It's something of a (potentially quite short-lived) 'just one more week' challenge.
I do agree though that a more readily achievable 3-4 would go a long way towards wider participation. Besides, squeezing out 6 works/week is going to burn through creative juices something fierce. The risk of falling into a mass-production routine, and the resulting drop in quality are a considerable downside to an otherwise self-improvement focused effort.

Rockbird
2010-10-17, 04:45 AM
Essay's got it right. Yes, eventually you'll fail. When that happens to me what I'm going to do is note how long i kept it up and then start right over! As for burning through creative juices... I guess it might, depending on how exacting a standard you keep yourself to. The intention isn't for you to create a finished, polished piece of fine art every day. Rather it's about having made something every day. When i originally discussed the idea with my friends it was actually 7 pictures a week (one a day), i reduced it to six so that we'll have some leeway.

I'll keep it as it is for now, at least. If it turns out that 6 a week is too much we'll deal with that then.

On a personal note i think it would be reasonable for IncoherentEssay to do less that 6 a week since sculptures seems like they'd take longer to make, but that's something i leave up to him.

EDIT: But that gives me an idea... Perhaps it could be done as follows: When you enter you decide how many works a week you think you can manage, and as long as you keep that number up... It's worth considering. Hmm...

IncoherentEssay
2010-10-17, 07:12 AM
Maybe a sort-of sliding scale would be a good option?
Start off at 6/week. If you fail to meet that, drop down to 5/week for the next week. Fail that and its down to 4/week, and so on, until finally dropping ou completely if 1/week is not met. A 'rankings' of sort would be kept in the 1st post for how many/week each participant is at.
Maybe have the option to go back up when 4 deadlines have been met in a row? So people would naturally stabilize at the pace they can keep. Also means people can cope with any RL schedule shifts without dropping out entirely. And if someone feels like 6/week is easy-mode, they can keep going upwards to the pics/h bracket :smalltongue:.

HellfireLover
2010-10-18, 07:14 AM
I would participate, but I'd honestly appreciate a few theme challenges - it would help me avoid getting in a rut, style-wise.

Concrete
2010-10-19, 04:41 PM
I have been a nonproductive slob for too long now...
I'm joining.
*Determined-face*
My deviantart. (http://persistant.deviantart.com/)

Jessicat
2010-10-19, 04:44 PM
I would participate, but I'd honestly appreciate a few theme challenges - it would help me avoid getting in a rut, style-wise.

Well this wouldn't be too hard to organise. Every week someone can suggest a theme and you can do a drawing on it. Or ten drawings. Whatever you want. :D

Rockbird
2010-10-20, 05:09 PM
While I don't want to make any mandatory theme weeks I can sure sympathize with wanting more inspiration.

So let's do it like Jessicat said and take turns suggesting something. This weeks almost done, so who's got an idea for next week?

Glass Mouse
2010-10-21, 04:25 AM
All right! I've been working towards this CHALLENGE since I first posted here, so better make it official - I'm in!

For themes, maybe we should just start at the top of the list?
So, the first to suggest a theme (for next week) would be.... Rockbird :smallsmile:

Rockbird
2010-10-21, 03:28 PM
Right, do you have a gallery i can link? :smallsmile:

The only problem with going down the list is that not everyone on it is actually on these forums. But apart from that... Let's see, think, think...

The theme for next week is... food. Foodstuffs, chefs, meals, hunting, it's all good. As long as it's relatedly to food.

HellfireLover
2010-10-21, 03:34 PM
I've just been told I'm no longer required at work, so I'm definitely in. Various media. I have a (neglected) devart account, will link to it later. :smallbiggrin:

Glass Mouse
2010-10-24, 03:10 PM
Eep! That was as late as I could get it.

I've started a sketchbook here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173190).

I kinda feel like, dunno, cheating, since I count my comic pages among the week's 6 and then won't post them (I work with a buffer, and the most recently drawn pages tend to be very spoiler-y).
I hope the fact that three comics do indeed show up on my comic's homepage is enough proof that I continually work :smallsmile:
(if not, then... uh, I guess I've already lost the challenge. Please be merciful.)

The theme sounds cool. I'll try to use it next week.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-25, 11:34 AM
I'd love to join, but it's rare for a piece to take me only one day to finish. =C

Rockbird
2010-10-25, 12:01 PM
aaand by this point we can certainly call the first week done, no matter what funky time zone people are in.

It is my unfortunate duty to say that...

Jessicat, you failed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27yJi8SDTYo&feature=related)

Glass Mouse
2010-10-27, 06:14 PM
Jessicat, you failed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27yJi8SDTYo&feature=related)

Haha! Perfect link!

Sad about Jessicat, though. But didn't we do the "if you fail one week, you can try the next one, just at a reduced goal", or was that just an idea?

Rockbird
2010-10-28, 12:59 AM
It was an idea, and a good one. But i kinda feel that it takes away from the whole thing; it's not supposed to be forgiving :smallamused:.
On the other hand, there's nothing stopping her from signing up again, she just won't get a fancy "1 week" marker in the listing in the first post :smalltongue:.

Concrete
2010-10-30, 08:52 PM
I picked a new place to post my entries:Here (http://persistant.deviantart.com/gallery/#OOTS-Challenge-Food-)

Glass Mouse
2010-10-31, 09:59 AM
Hey, Rockbird, isn't it a lot of work for you to plough through all our sketchbooks, DA accounts and stuff to make sure we meet the Challenge?

I was just thinking, maybe it'd be easier for you if it was our own responsibility to post "I made the challenge this week!" or "I didn't make the Challenge, and I'm out/will definitely try again next week!"
Failure to confirm that Challenge is met = challenge not met.

Just a thought :smallsmile:

IncoherentEssay
2010-10-31, 12:26 PM
Right, since it seems like Fraudman isn't a GitP member and the next week needs a theme: Flight.
Bird, plane, paratrooper, it's all good.
Extra kudos for creative application of the theme.

Rockbird
2010-11-01, 04:31 AM
Hey, Rockbird, isn't it a lot of work for you to plough through all our sketchbooks, DA accounts and stuff to make sure we meet the Challenge?

I was just thinking, maybe it'd be easier for you if it was our own responsibility to post "I made the challenge this week!" or "I didn't make the Challenge, and I'm out/will definitely try again next week!"
Failure to confirm that Challenge is met = challenge not met.

Just a thought :smallsmile:

That's a thought. Honestly, at this point it's not much trouble - I want to see what people've done anyway! It's a good idea if we get more participants though :smallsmile:.

Also, second week is over and everyone seems to have made it! (Well, since HellfireLover hasn't linked a gallery yet I'm not counting him as properly signed up just yet.)

Fraudman
2010-11-03, 03:54 PM
Hey Guys!
I went and got myself an account!

It's so fun that so many are in on the CHALLENGE! I feel my drawing is improving, even though it's only been two weeks :smallsmile:

Glass Mouse
2010-11-04, 09:54 AM
Hi Fraudman, and welcome to GiantITP :smallsmile:

It's great to hear about the effects of the CHALLENGE. I've been drawing two or three comic pages every week for 1 years, but I was starting to get in a rut, so it's really good to get that push to draw something else.
I, too, feel like I've improved during these few weeks. It's awesome!

Fraudman
2010-11-05, 11:51 AM
Hi Fraudman, and welcome to GiantITP :smallsmile:

It's great to hear about the effects of the CHALLENGE. I've been drawing two or three comic pages every week for 1 years, but I was starting to get in a rut, so it's really good to get that push to draw something else.
I, too, feel like I've improved during these few weeks. It's awesome!

You draw comics? That's awesome : D I used to draw all the time but then school started and I just fell out of the rhythm, so the CHALLENGE is my way back, and now I'm starting to get a kind of 'attagirl' feeling everytime I sit down and draw. :smallbiggrin:

Rockbird
2010-11-08, 09:07 AM
The third week is over.

Concrete, you failed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27yJi8SDTYo&feature=related)

Technically, so did Fritzell. However, he contacted me at the start of the week and said that he'd be away from internet connections the entire week. So he gets an extension :smallamused:.

Concrete
2010-11-09, 04:44 AM
My shame is a thing of legend.
So what's the next one?

Glass Mouse
2010-11-09, 05:19 AM
You draw comics? That's awesome : D I used to draw all the time but then school started and I just fell out of the rhythm, so the CHALLENGE is my way back, and now I'm starting to get a kind of 'attagirl' feeling everytime I sit down and draw. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, I draw Cat's Eyes - the thing on the other end of my sig banner :smallwink:
'attagirl' is a great reaction to drawing! I wish I got that more instead of "ohgodi'mwaybehindineedtodrawlikerightnowandALOT!"
Still, there's nothing quite like looking at a finished piece.

My shame is a thing of legend.
So what's the next one?

Your drawing discipline is bad, and you should feel bad :smallbiggrin:
Glad you're still going.

For the theme, I'm guessing since Fraudman didn't get to choose last time, she should have her turn now? That, or she should face the dire consequences of signing up late, in which case the theme should be decided by Concrete.

Glass Mouse
2010-11-09, 05:20 AM
Double post. Sorry (I blame the internet).

Fraudman
2010-11-09, 09:52 AM
Theme for this weeks CHALLENGE! (sorry it late)
I was thinking, walking home from school and feeling the cold wind on my face (so poetic) that I wanted to draw
the Swedish anthropomorphic personification of winter, Kung Bore.
Talked to my brother (aka Rockbird) and we, mostly me, thought that it would be cool if the theme was 'anthropomorphic personifications' :smallsmile:

Good luck this week everyone! (now I have to go and draw. and then draw. and also... draw. )

Rockbird
2010-11-15, 12:18 PM
The fourth week is over.

Fritzell, you double failed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27yJi8SDTYo&feature=related) :smallamused:

Oh, and if someone else is following this thread - it's not too late to join in the fun! It never is! :smallcool:

Glass Mouse
2010-11-15, 05:22 PM
Aw, Fritzell. Get back into the fight! You can do it! :-)

Hey Rockbird, maybe you should put it in the opening post that it's just a matter of seeing how long we can go (and that failing one week isn't the end of one's personal challenge). And that everyone is welcome at any time.
Sorry to give you work, but it just seems like something that'd be worth knowing as soon as one clicks on the thread :smallsmile:

Also, it's Concrete's turn to choose a theme.

Concrete
2010-11-15, 08:19 PM
Alright, the new theme is: Morbid.

Glass Mouse
2010-11-30, 05:35 AM
Is this thing still officially running?

If so, it seems to be Fritzell's turn to choose a theme :smallsmile:
(yeah, I know I haven't been too good with the themes myself, but they're still kinda fun)

IncoherentEssay
2010-12-01, 01:44 AM
I'd say this is running as long as there is someone willing to keep it running.
Wasn't Fritzell's theme pick for last week though? Which means... *checks list* yep, up to you now, followed by Rockbird next week unless we get new participants.
If we don't hear anything from Rockbird by next week it's either closing the challenge or reorganizing it a bit to get more participants.

Glass Mouse
2010-12-01, 03:41 AM
All right, then! This week's theme is FIGHT. Battles, aftermath, ninjitsu-ing... everything's fair game as long as it's related to someone (or something) fighting.

If Rockbird doesn't return, I'll be willing to take the responsibility of keeping it running. But you're right, IE, let's wait until last week to react. I hope he returns :smallsmile:

Rockbird
2010-12-01, 04:53 AM
Hum. I'm still here, but i haven't been posting since, well... Too much school and too little energy. Mostly too little energy :smallamused:

Both me and Fraudman will be dropping out. I'll probably return once I have the will. Right now I'm a bit burnt out :smallsigh:.

so i guess...

I FAIL
:smalltongue:

I do hope you guys keep at it. I enjoy looking at your stuff :smallsmile:

Glass Mouse
2010-12-01, 08:12 AM
Oh, hi, Rockbird, good to see you back!

Your dropping out, is it just with regards to the drawing part, or are you dropping out of managing the CHALLENGE as well?

Sorry if I'm being pushy, I'd just really like to see this continue. I'm drawing like never before with this. So, if you're letting it all go, I'd rather take on the extra work than let it fall.

In any case, I hope things will look up for you soon :smallsmile:

Edit: Because I'm a moron who can't tell Fraudman from Rockbird. Sorry.

Rockbird
2010-12-01, 09:02 AM
In any case, I hope things will look up for you soon

So do I :)

I think It's best if you take over the management too. (And you don't seem pushy at all. Enthusiastic maybe, but who'd see that as a problem? :smallwink:)

Glass Mouse
2010-12-01, 09:42 AM
Will do, then :)
If it's okay, I'll probably do a new thread sometime this week... so I can edit the participants and stuff.

So, uh, if anyone doesn't want me to take on the responsibility (if you wanna do it yourself or something), please say so.
Also, if there are suggestions for a new thread, throw 'em at me.

And Rockbird, I'm sorry I called you Fraudman. I'm at my school, so I'm kinda writing this with one eye on a political analysis. Doesn't make for excellent concentration :smalltongue:

Glass Mouse
2010-12-06, 05:01 PM
I made a new thread for the CHALLENGE. I hope it's satisfactory :smallsmile:

Link to new thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178673)