PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Forsaker Totemist

Person_Man
2010-10-15, 03:03 PM
Over on this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172029) I bandied about the idea of combining the Forsaker (Master of the Wild) with the Totemist (Magic of Incarnum). Vow of Poverty and similar builds are a common request. But the rules for using Vow of Poverty suck. But since many soulmelds duplicate various magical items (and prohibit you from using magic items in slots that are bound to a chakra) I thought there might be a natural synergy.

The Forsaker Totemist
{table=head]
Level|
BAB|
Fort Save|
Ref Save|
Will Save|
Class Abilities|
Soul melds|
Essentia|
Chakra Binds
1st | + 1 | + 2 | + 2 | + 2 | Vow of the Forsaker, Meldshaping, Wild Empathy, Illiteracy, Track | 2 | 1 | 0
2nd | + 2 | + 3 | + 3 | + 3 | Totem Chakra Bind (+1 capacity), Endure Elements | 3 | 2 | 1
3rd | + 3 | + 3 | + 3 | + 3 | Totem Protection, Ability Bonus | 3 | 4 | 1
4th | + 4 | + 4 | + 4 | + 4 | Resistance, Fast Healing | 4 | 5 | 1
5th | + 5 | + 4 | + 4 | + 4 | Chakra Binds (crown, feet, hands) | 4 | 7 | 2
6th | + 6 | + 5 | + 5 | + 5 | Totem Chakra Bind (+1 meldshaper level) | 5 | 8 | 2
7th | + 7 | + 5 | + 5 | + 5 | Tough Defense | 5 | 10 | 2
8th | + 8 | + 6 | + 6 | + 6 | Rebind Totem Soulmeld (1/day) | 6 | 11 | 3
9th | + 9 | + 6 | + 6 | + 6 | Chakra Binds (arms, brow, shoulders) | 6 | 13 | 3
10th | + 10 | + 7 | + 7 | + 7 | Damage Reduction | 7 | 14 | 3
11th | + 11 | + 7 | + 7 | + 7 | Totem Chakra Bind (Double Bind) | 7 | 16 | 4
12th | + 12 | + 8 | + 8 | + 8 | Rebind Totem Soulmeld (2/day) | 8 | 17 | 4
13th | + 13 | + 8 | + 8 | + 8 | Slippery Mind | 8 | 19 | 4
14th | + 14 | + 9 | + 9 | + 9 | Chakra Binds (throat, waist) | 9 | 21 | 5
15th | + 15 | + 9 | + 9 | + 9 | Totem Chakra Bind (+2 capacity) | 9 | 22 | 6
16th | + 16 | + 10 | + 10 | + 10 | Rebind Totem Soulmeld (3/day) | 10 | 24 | 7
17th | + 17 | + 10 | + 10 | + 10 | Chakra Binds (heart) | 10 | 25 | 8
18th | + 18 | + 11 | + 11 | + 11 | Antimagic Field | 11 | 27 | 9
19th | + 19 | + 11 | + 11 | + 11 | Chakra Binds (soul) | 11 | 28 | 10
20th | + 20 | + 12 | + 12 | + 12 | Totem Embodiment, Rebind Totem Soulmeld (4/day) | 11 | 30 | 11
[/table]

Starting Gold: 0.

Hit Die: d12

Class Skills: Same as Totemist.

Class Abilities:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Forsaker Totemist is not proficient with any armor, shields, or weapons, except for their own natural weapons. They gain Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat, and it is considered a natural weapon for the purpose of any soulmeld, feat, or other ability or effect which augments natural weapons.

Vow of the Forsaker: Beyond simple clothing and whatever food and drink they require for that day, the Forsaker Totemist swears not to own or use any possessions. They must destroy or donate their share of any income or treasure they receive from any source (they cannot simply allow their party members to have more - though they are permitted to give them first choice of what to keep). Items which the Forsaker Totemist Sunders or otherwise destroys during combat count towards this requirement. If he chooses to donate his share, the Forsaker Totemist must do so anonymously, and it must be to a charity or group that in no way benefits the him (it can't be to an ally, a political cause, etc). Whenever he is willingly able to do so, the Forsaker Totemist must sleep in a natural setting (outside of any city, town, dungeon, or inhabited area) and eat food that he scavenges or kills himself.

If at any point the Forsaker Totemist does not make a good faith effort to uphold this Vow, he loses all meldshaping abilities from all sources, including their soulmelds, essentia pool, and chakra binds. They retain their other Forsaker Totemist class abilities, but may not take additional levels of the class and may not regain their meldshaping abilities until they renew and fulfill their Vow (as adjudicated by the DM).

The Forsaker Totemist may not benefit from any Exalted Vow, such as the Vow of Poverty, Vow of Peace, etc.

Meldshaping: The Forsaker has a slightly better soulmeld progression, 50% more essentia, they eventually open up their Soul chakra slot, and the number of chakra binds they get at high levels is much better (they eventually can bind every slot). Otherwise, all Forsaker Totemist class abilities mirror all of the standard Totemist class abilities (including Wild Empathy, Totem Protection, Totem Embodiment, etc) except as noted here.

Track: The Forsaker Totemist gains this as a bonus feat at first level.

Endure Elements (Ex): At 2nd level the Forsaker Totemist gains this abilty continuously on themselves, as per the spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/endureElements.htm).

Ability Bonus (Ex): At 3rd level, the Forsaker Totemist gains a bonus to any two attributes of his choice equal to one-third their Forsaker Totemist class level (ie, +1 at 3rd level, and a maximum of +6 at 18th level).

Resistance (Ex): At 4th level, the Forsaker Totemist gains Spell Resistance and Power Resistance equal to 15 + their Forsaker Totemist class level. These do not stack with resistances provided by other sources. The Forsaker Totemist may not willingly lower or reduce these resistances. Thus while it is difficult to directly harm a Forsaker Totemist with magic or psionics, they also have a difficult time benefiting from healing and protection magic. His own meldshaping and class abilities are not effected by this resistance, although the meldshaping abilities of others are.

Fast Healing (Ex): At 4th level, the Forsaker Totemist gains Fast Healing equal to the number of points of essentia invested in the soulmeld bound to his Totem Chakra. If more then one soulmeld is bound to his Totem Chakra, he gains Fast Healing equal to the total essentia invested in both soulmelds.

Tough Defense (Ex): At 7th level, the Forsaker Totemist gain a bonus to their Natural Armor equal to their Constitution bonus. This bonus stacks with bonuses to Natural Armor from all other sources, such as racial abilities, feats, and soulmelds.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 10th level, the Forsaker Totemist gains Damage Reduction/magic and cold iron (a weapon must be both to bypass it) equal to the number of points of essentia invested in the soulmeld bound to his Totem Chakra. If more then one soulmeld is bound to his Totem Chakra, he gains Damage Reduction/magic and cold iron equal to the total essentia invested in both soulmelds. If at least one point of essentia is invested in any soulmeld bound to his Totem Chakra, then all of the Forsaker Totemist's natural weapons also count as magic and cold iron weapons.

Slippery Mind (Ex): At 13 level, the Forsaker Totemist gains the Slippery Mind class ability. (See Rogue for details). If he is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails his saving throw, he can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. He gets only this one extra chance to succeed on each saving throw.

Antimagic Field (Ex): At 17th level, the Forsaker is emanates a continuous and permanent Antimagic Field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicfield.htm) with a radius of 5 feet, centered on himself, with a caster level equal to his Forsaker Totemist meldshaper level. He may not willingly lower or end this effect. His own meldshaping abilities are not effected by this field, although the magical and meldshaping abilities of others are.

Playtest Note: At first level, any Totemist soulmelds grants access to lots of different natural weapons, Die Hard, AC bonuses, a land speed bonus, and various Skill boosts. Once you hit second level and can bind your Totem chakra, you get a full range of additional buffs, ranged attacks, breath weapons, Save or Lose abilities, etc. (Though obviously you can't do all of those things at once until higher levels, since you have limited soulmelds and chakra binds). So while it may seem a bit harsh that you don't get Resistance and Fast Healing until 4th level and don't get Tough Defense until 7th level, keep in mind that you don't get a lot of gold at low levels, I have play tested the class at various levels, and I think that the progression given strikes the right balance.

Greenish
2010-10-15, 03:16 PM
That was fast. Totemists were already a pretty decent class though, so upping them to full BAB + all good saves + more essentia than an incarnate might be tad much, especially in games where people aren't so good at decorating their christmas trees.

Realms of Chaos
2010-10-15, 08:59 PM
Actually, he has just the right idea. Remember that this guy is losing all of his magic items so he needs those things just to remain relevant.

I did something similar awhile back when I made my ascendant base class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9136422) so it's nice to see that I wasn't the only one with this idea.

Considering that this class not only needs to make up for the lack of items but lack of buffs and spell effects, this guy is still probably a bit weak (at least in the grand scheme of things).

Glimbur
2010-10-15, 09:29 PM
Does he pick the attributes to boost at third level and never change them?

It's kind of sad at level 1, when you can't use anything but your unarmed strike which you never want to use past level 1 or those dragon soulmelds which are tricky to get access to.

The soul bind isn't particularly helpful unless you take Shape Soulmeld for an Incarnate soulmeld, as the only soul bind Totemists have is the Threefold Mask. It's a really nice effect though.

Good Will + Slippery Mind is pretty nice, but he doesn't get a cloak/vest of resistance so... but until level 17 he can be buffed by a party member with Arcane Mastery and Spell Penetration which is two feats you might not want otherwise so I'm not worried about it.

Overall... magic items are really good. Soulmelds give you some flexibility to make up for it. I'm curious to see how this plays in a game.

Realms of Chaos
2010-10-15, 09:55 PM
Finally realized what this guy needs, I think.

To truly make up for everything that it loses, I'm pretty sure that it needs a full 11 soulmelds (gaining 1 more at 11th level) and a full 11 chakra binds, thus fully realizing the absolute potential of an incarnum user.

Person_Man
2010-10-18, 08:50 AM
Does he pick the attributes to boost at third level and never change them?

As written, yes. Though if you wanted to spread them around for some reason, I wouldn't see a problem with that.

It's kind of sad at level 1, when you can't use anything but your unarmed strike which you never want to use past level 1 or those dragon soulmelds which are tricky to get access to.

Yes, you're giving up weapons and armor, which is the point. But you still have 2 soulmelds, 1 point of essentia, full BAB, 2 strong saves, Wild Empathy (which is actually useful at level 1) and Track. If you're willing to be a dragonblooded race or spend one Feat to become one, you can use Claws of the Wyrm for claws and Draconic Tail for a tail. If you're not, you can still use Blood Talons for Die Hard, Ankheg Breastplate for the equivalent of medium armor, Blink Shirt for Dimension Door, and/or Chaos Roc's Span (Dragon Magazine 350) for 2 wing buffet attacks. So you're not really hurting at first level, IMO.

The soul bind isn't particularly helpful unless you take Shape Soulmeld for an Incarnate soulmeld, as the only soul bind Totemists have is the Threefold Mask. It's a really nice effect though.

True, but I felt that since you have no magic items, you should be given the option.

Good Will + Slippery Mind is pretty nice, but he doesn't get a cloak/vest of resistance so... but until level 17 he can be buffed by a party member with Arcane Mastery and Spell Penetration which is two feats you might not want otherwise so I'm not worried about it.

If your Will Save is a persistent issue (which it shouldn't be), you can spend 2 feats to get Immunity to Mind Effecting with Deformity (Madness), or get your Con to Will Saves with Steadfast Determination. But again, this guy wasn't built to be great at everything. He was built for someone who wants to be able to give up all his magic items and still have stuff to do.

Finally realized what this guy needs, I think.

To truly make up for everything that it loses, I'm pretty sure that it needs a full 11 soulmelds (gaining 1 more at 11th level) and a full 11 chakra binds, thus fully realizing the absolute potential of an incarnum user.

Hmm. That's potentially a great idea. But that would make him VERY strong. Not Batman Wizard strong, but quite possibly the the strongest possible non-caster/psion/erudite.

Thanks for the feedback guys. If there is any additional thoughts, I welcome them.

Tael
2010-10-18, 01:45 PM
Hmm. That's potentially a great idea. But that would make him VERY strong. Not Batman Wizard strong, but quite possibly the the strongest possible non-caster/psion/erudite.

Thanks for the feedback guys. If there is any additional thoughts, I welcome them.

I would make it 11 soulmelds and something like 8 chakra binds, or maybe not more binds, but definitely 11 melds.

Realms of Chaos
2010-10-18, 02:37 PM

Strong? The way I see it, it keeps the poor guy neutral. Don't forget that this guy has to be a base class + all magic items that a normal character would get + all buffs that a normal character would get.

Without incarnum, we have some pretty nice base stats (good saves, bab, skills, and hit dice) but only a couple high ability scores, some fast healing (which steals resources from your soulmelds), damage reduction (stealing resources from your soulmelds again), a decent natural armor bonus (which is gained late and is forced to compensate for a lack of any armor), and immunity to magic (which is pretty good) (oh yeah, and slippery mind). Also, that character can never have any equipment or buffs of any kind.

Even ignoring that last sentence, we are still looking at a (moderately high) tier 4 class. Therefore, it is the job of your incarnum not merely to compensate for the lack of any exterior support but to raise this class to a tier 3 afterwards.

Person_Man
2010-10-18, 04:48 PM
I have been convinced.

Number of soulmelds and chakra binds has been bumped up to 11. However, I made most of the extra chakra binds kick in at levels 15+, to compensate for the exponential growth of standard wealth by level, which goes from 200,000 (level 15) -> 760,000 (level 20).

Prior to that, I think that the extra class abilities, slightly faster soulmeld/chakra progression, and 50%ish more essentia (the biggest deal, IMO) are a fair trade.

I'm aiming for high Tier 3. Hopefully I'm closer now.

mrcarter11
2010-10-19, 12:42 PM
I really wanna try this out. My problem mainly is a small dislike of the totemist. I just have a difficult time understanding how to use all the natural attacks, but considering my VoP love, I really wanna try this class.