PDA

View Full Version : Black Tentacles and Blink

ffone
2010-10-15, 04:33 PM
How do these spells interact? Is a blinking character subject to the initial 'grapple' from the tentacles? Even if grappled, does blinking allow the character to move through them? Would a blinking character need to make a Concentration check to use a spell-like ability while in the area of the tentacles (perhaps depending on whether they beat the original grapple check)?

ericgrau
2010-10-15, 04:41 PM
Half speed while ethereal, possibly no speed while material, so 1/4 speed at least. IMO you should break free and then move at half speed, for a net average of half speed. By the spell description the tentacles only re-attempt a grapple when you enter the field, which should have a 50% failure chance IMO. I think the concentration check should be the same as someone moving through the field but not grappled. Not sure if that means no concentration check or check vs. "distracting spell" (DC = save DC).

This is all fluff based I don't think there's RAW for this.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-10-15, 08:38 PM
Sorry, read the description of the Black Tentacles. They are a force effect, kinda like Magic Missiles... which still affect ethereal beings. So no, Blink would have no adverse affect on Black Tentacles.

Zaydos
2010-10-15, 08:51 PM
Sorry, read the description of the Black Tentacles. They are a force effect, kinda like Magic Missiles... which still affect ethereal beings. So no, Blink would have no adverse affect on Black Tentacles.

Neither the SRD or the 3.5 PHB makes any reference to force in Black Tentacle's description. In fact it is a

Conjuration (Creation)

Not force. Although that still means they have a 50% chance of interacting with non-ethereal incorporeal creatures and I could never figure out how to adjudicate that one (we went with nope, because my conjurer who specialized in Black Tentacles was avoiding Force effects so that he could be negated by incorporeal creatures).

Also for easy reference http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blacktentacles.htm SRD link :smallsmile:

Scow2
2010-10-15, 08:52 PM

Where does it say this? I can't find any such clause stating the tentacles are a force effect.