PDA

View Full Version : Oh no I've forgotten the name of this story

shadow_archmagi
2010-10-16, 04:25 PM
I read it some time ago. It was a short story as part of a collection and it alternated between this cheesy gothic novel

(Suddenly the butlers face contorted and he fell forward his fine black coat dissolving as he went. She walked over to the pile and dipped a single finger in it and raised it to full red lips. "By the look of things I'd say he'd been dead for over one thousand years." she said to the strong man who had slain the creature, his well-muscled frame exuding the heady scent of honest labor) sort of thing

and then it cuts to this Poe-like author sitting in some gothic office (possibly at the top of a tall tower in a rainstorm) and trying to write and a Raven comes in and the author tells him that he's been TRYING to "Tell it like it is" and simply not enjoying his work any more. The raven says "Have you ever considered writing fiction?"

The writer is astonished. The story then switches to a modern-day, mundane setting.

(The man loved his wife in the way he loved the toaster for working every day. It was a quiet affection and for her simply not enough. He could not fathom why, one day, she simply sat down at the table and started crying.)

The writer then declares that this fiction business is wonderful!

The joke being, of course, that the writer and the audience have opposite ideas about what is historical and what is fiction. I can't for the life of me remember where I *saw* it though.

Adumbration
2010-10-16, 04:27 PM
I know this one. Gimme a second.

EDIT: *breathes in*

Forbidden Brides Of The Faceless Slaves In The Nameless House Of The Night Of Dread Desire by Neil Gaiman. *breathes out*

EDIT 2: I'm not really surprised you forgot the name. :smalltongue:

shadow_archmagi
2010-10-16, 04:36 PM
<3 the playground

Without you I could never sleep at night

Seonor
2010-10-16, 04:37 PM
If you want to read it again, you can find it in Fragile Things, a collection of some of Gaimans short stories and also in Gothic! Ten Original Dark Tales with stories from other authors.

Adumbration
2010-10-16, 04:39 PM
If you want to read it again, you can find it in Fragile Things, a collection of some of Gaimans short stories and also in Gothic! Ten Original Dark Tales with stories from other authors.

I've also seen it in couple of other anthologies - one was Mammoth book of Comic Fantasy, I think, and the other some random similar collection on horror. Kinda funny, that.

Raz_Fox
2010-10-16, 05:34 PM
I know this one. Gimme a second.

EDIT: *breathes in*

Forbidden Brides Of The Faceless Slaves In The Nameless House Of The Night Of Dread Desire by Neil Gaiman. *breathes out*

Darnit.

I was all "WAIT I KNOW THIS AHAHAHAHA" reading that post (because I loved that short story) and then you crushed my dreams of actually contributing to a discussion, Adumbration.

Obrysii
2010-10-16, 05:47 PM
This story sounds simultaneously interesting and terrifying.

Eldan
2010-10-16, 05:55 PM
It's not just author and audience having different ideas about reality and fiction. He actually lives in a world of gothic horror. He has letters written in blood and creaking doors and freak thunderstorms and ghouls in his cellar and guests at his castle getting murdered by ancient monsters.

shadow_archmagi
2010-10-16, 06:39 PM
This story sounds simultaneously interesting and terrifying.

Tragically, you've already heard pretty much the whole thing. I think it was about two pages long altogether. Maybe four pages if you double-space it and use the tiny pages books use.