PDA

View Full Version : Going to sleep and waking up~ For people who have trouble with both

Meirnon
2010-10-18, 12:28 AM
So, I had noticed that there was once a thread for insomnia. That was nice while it lasted, but it seems no one bumped it. So, instead of going for a repeat of that, I wanted to start an advice thread for people, like yours truly, who have a helluva time going to sleep, and even more so waking up in the morning.

The only tips I have myself are to take the time and stretch before going to sleep, and then relaxing and picturing each part of your body from your toes upward wiggling slightly with your eyes closed. Soft music sometimes helps, as well, if not any white-noise. Sometimes, just clenching and unclenching my toes in rhythm with the current song is enough to make me fall asleep without realising it (try it :D).

In the mornings, everyone says a good breakfast'll get you up. Sometimes this works, and others this is just not true. Yes, it can get your blood flowing, but sometimes that's just not enough for people who really need it, as it plateaus then decreases steadily. Coffee, on the other hand, provides a sharp increase and then a sharp decrease, same as any other caffeinated product. So, what do you do? Have both is the only immediate suggestion I can give. And again, stretching always seems to help relax and reinvigorate you as lactic acids in your muscles are cleansed out (they're a natural byproduct from your body's response to muscle wear and tear).

Unfortunately, I do not always practice what I preach. Mostly because I get up 5 minutes until it's time to go, and my stomach is always extremely upset in the mornings where I cannot even fathom eating something without feeling bile rise in my throat.

So, any other methods, tricks or rituals that help people go to sleep and/or wake up?

Gullara
2010-10-18, 12:36 AM
I don't have any trouble myself, but I know something that might help.

Apparently for an hour before you go to bed you should be in semi-darkness. Being in the dark causes the brain to produce a chemical that makes you sleepy.

I heard this info second hand, so it may not be correct, but I'm sure my brother wouldn't lie to me:smalltongue:

Meirnon
2010-10-18, 12:37 AM
I don't have any trouble myself, but I know something that might help.

Apparently for an hour before you go to bed you should be in semi-darkness. Being in the dark causes the brain to produce a chemical that makes you sleepy.

I heard this info second hand, so it may not be correct, but I'm sure my brother wouldn't lie to me:smalltongue:

Lulz. I also hear that having a weight on your chest releases seratonin, making you sleepier. O.o

Marillion
2010-10-18, 12:49 AM
Lulz. I also hear that having a weight on your chest releases seratonin, making you sleepier. O.o

So that's why my cat insists on sleeping on my chest! He's trying to help me sleep!

The thing I've found that helps with sleeping AND waking up is exercise. Do some stretches and pushups or go for a walk to invigorate yourself (that's easy for me since I have dogs that demand to be walked in the morning) and then later do a more intensive workout to wear your body out so that it'll fall asleep faster when you lie down.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-18, 02:02 AM
Getting to sleep? The best advice I can think of is to make sure you give yourself time to wind down before you go to bed. If I'm on the computer or watching TV I find that I have to get off at least a half hour before I intend to go to bed otherwise I can't sleep.

Having someone read to me helps me. My husband reads to me most nights from LoTR, since I go to bed before he does. It's surprisingly relaxing.

And of course, if you are in bed lying awake and can't sleep. Don't stay there. Get up and read or do something (putting things away helps me relax). Something a bit 'mindless'. Generally going onto a computer or turning on the TV won't help. You need something to get your mind to shut down a bit.

Krade
2010-10-18, 02:46 AM
I have trouble getting to sleep sometimes. But I usually stay up late due to a general unwillingness to sleep when I don't feel like I need it rather than what I would consider insomnia. Sometimes I find myself wishing I could operate on a 36 hour day and have my job work my schedule around it, but I know it'll never happen.

Usually no troubles waking up though, so long as I have a reason to get up. On days where I don't work, I'll usually be in bed an hour or two past noon. I'm usually able to work and function normally on low sleep at least until I get home and sit in my chair (where I'll commonly end up taking a nap).

For example, there was a mandatory all employee meeting at 7am this past Saturday. 7am is 2-3 hours earlier than my position ever requires me to work. I forgot about the meeting until midnight the night before: six hours before I had to wake up. I didn't end up getting in bed until 1 or so: five hours. No idea when I actually got to sleep, but I think it was after 2: less than 4 hours of sleep. Woke up easily, went to work, got home around 4:30 that afternoon and promptly fell asleep for 2 hours in my recliner.

Lioness
2010-10-18, 03:31 AM
To help with getting to sleep and waking up, it's best if you can keep roughly the same hours of sleep every night, and about the same times. Exercise in the morning will help you wake up, as will exposure to light. Caffeine, while helpful, doesn't do a great lot in the morning, because you're already naturally waking up due to presence of light.

To sleep, exercise a few hours before bed helps. A milk snack/warm drink before bed can also help, as can a warm bath about 1-2 hours beforehand. A nightime routine, such as doing the dishes, brushing your teeth, and getting changed into your pyjamas can also help sleeping.

I've heard that lavender can assist with getting to sleep, but haven't tried it, so can't vouch for it.

You're less likely to fall asleep if you've drunk a lot of water previously. Drinking water will also help keep you alert in the morning and throughout the day.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-18, 03:46 AM
I've heard that lavender can assist with getting to sleep, but haven't tried it, so can't vouch for it.

It's supposed to be relaxing and help you drift off. I've never tried it because I loathe the smell of lavender, so it probably wouldn't help me.

You're less likely to fall asleep if you've drunk a lot of water previously. Drinking water will also help keep you alert in the morning and throughout the day.

This. So very much this. I can't have anything to drink (especially not something like tea, which is a diuretic) about an hour before I go to bed. Otherwise I'll just wake up needing to use the bathroom. If you ever find that you've gone to bed, only to wake up an hour or two later, it could be that you've had something to drink too close to bed time.

Meirnon
2010-10-18, 02:49 PM
This. So very much this. I can't have anything to drink (especially not something like tea, which is a diuretic) about an hour before I go to bed. Otherwise I'll just wake up needing to use the bathroom. If you ever find that you've gone to bed, only to wake up an hour or two later, it could be that you've had something to drink too close to bed time.

Really? I've heard that if you're dehydrated, you'll have a harder time, and that a glass before bed helps. O.o

Personally, I've found that chocolate sometimes helps simply because of the dopamine reaction (and other fun stuff) relaxes me. I'd warn that some people have nightmares because of chocolate, but, due to extraneous circumstances of being a lucid dreamer, my nightmares are completely changeable, and more often than not fun.

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-10-18, 05:24 PM
I had the same problems as you in the past. Going to sleep was an effort to me, but getting up was even worse, I needed all my willpower, and sometimes I couldn't do it (if I hadn't any obligations).

With time, I developed some tricks.

Going to sleep: this is the easiest trick. Do 1 hour of a tough sport every day (boxing, football, surfing, martial arts, paddling, sprint running, or anything you like, but it must be tough). At the end of the day, you'll be so tired, that one of your night wishes will be going to bed. Believe me, since I surf and box, I sleep like a baby.
[EDIT: I forgot. NEVER, I mean, NEVER use your computer before going to bed. It has the same stimulating effect on your brain as a double solo coffee. If you need to use your computer at night, do it 1 hour before sleeping, and just for important things, don't use Internet for leisure time at night before sleeping!!]

Getting up: this is harder. You'll need 3 or 4 tricks in order to be functional. For me it works combining the following: before going to sleep, leaving my windows clean of curtains or blinds, so the sunlight gets into my room during the morning; having a radio alarm set up with my favourite program; having a really good breakfast every day, with everything I like (if you get up early and do the sport I told you sometime during the day, it doesn't matter your diet IN THIS BREAKFAST, you can eat all you like, as 1) you'll burn it up during the day, 2) you won't eat that much, it's morning after all); and last, I like to breath the morning breeze, I don't know why, it feels different, it makes me feel good. I always manage to be at least 5 minutes during early hours (8-9 am) breathing fresh air (you don't need to just stand and breath, you can go to a corner shop to buy your piece of daily-cooked bread or the newspaper).

It works for me.

Meirnon
2010-10-18, 05:45 PM
I had the same problems as you in the past. Going to sleep was an effort to me, but getting up was even worse, I needed all my willpower, and sometimes I couldn't do it (if I hadn't any obligations).

With time, I developed some tricks.

Going to sleep: this is the easiest trick. Do 1 hour of a tough sport every day (boxing, football, surfing, martial arts, paddling, sprint running, or anything you like, but it must be tough). At the end of the day, you'll be so tired, that one of your night wishes will be going to bed. Believe me, since I surf and box, I sleep like a baby.
[EDIT: I forgot. NEVER, I mean, NEVER use your computer before going to bed. It has the same stimulating effect on your brain as a double solo coffee. If you need to use your computer at night, do it 1 hour before sleeping, and just for important things, don't use Internet for leisure time at night before sleeping!!]

Getting up: this is harder. You'll need 3 or 4 tricks in order to be functional. For me it works combining the following: before going to sleep, leaving my windows clean of curtains or blinds, so the sunlight gets into my room during the morning; having a radio alarm set up with my favourite program; having a really good breakfast every day, with everything I like (if you get up early and do the sport I told you sometime during the day, it doesn't matter your diet IN THIS BREAKFAST, you can eat all you like, as 1) you'll burn it up during the day, 2) you won't eat that much, it's morning after all); and last, I like to breath the morning breeze, I don't know why, it feels different, it makes me feel good. I always manage to be at least 5 minutes during early hours (8-9 am) breathing fresh air (you don't need to just stand and breath, you can go to a corner shop to buy your piece of daily-cooked bread or the newspaper).

It works for me.

Lol. This sounds like an awesome lifestyle. (no sarcasm) I wish I could have that opportunity, but America is just about as bad and neoindustrial as most allegories make it out to be. :smallsigh:

Is it strange I've never had fresh baked bread? Ever? I don't think I've ever had anything without one component that didn't come out of a plastic wrapper or metal can.

Gullara
2010-10-18, 06:01 PM

I do this every night consistently. I'm so glad I don't have trouble sleeping because I don't think I could stop.

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-10-18, 06:04 PM
Is it strange I've never had fresh baked bread? Ever? I don't think I've ever had anything without one component that didn't come out of a plastic wrapper or metal can.

I know eating fresh bread it's a more european tradition (mainly, France, Spain and Italy), but come on, I'm sure that in every city of USA you can find fresh bread. If you look in your city, I'm sure you can go for a morning walk to buy fresh bread. Neoindustrialism doesn't exclude some traditional ways of doing things (such as eating).

Seriously, the less processed food you eat, the better. There's a breakfast I love, spanish traditional: some pieces of fresh bread with rub tomato (or garlic, or cured ham) and extra virgin olive oil; and a cup of hot coffee. Just that makes me getting up and rush to the bakery. Call it breakslow instead of breakfast. :smallwink:

Meirnon
2010-10-18, 06:38 PM
I know eating fresh bread it's a more european tradition (mainly, France, Spain and Italy), but come on, I'm sure that in every city of USA you can find fresh bread. If you look in your city, I'm sure you can go for a morning walk to buy fresh bread. Neoindustrialism doesn't exclude some traditional ways of doing things (such as eating).

Seriously, the less processed food you eat, the better. There's a breakfast I love, spanish traditional: some pieces of fresh bread with rub tomato (or garlic, or cured ham) and extra virgin olive oil; and a cup of hot coffee. Just that makes me getting up and rush to the bakery. Call it breakslow instead of breakfast. :smallwink:

Hehe... I wish I could. Fresh baked bread sounds great, and I'm sure there's at least 1 bakery in the city... but it'd definitely be out of my price-range. Here, they can charge more than the bread's worth simply because it seems like something special (particularly, it seems European, and thus, more sophisticated and cultural). It's way out of my price-range as a legally impoverished citizen to try to have fresh bread, lol. Store-bought, pre-sliced and bagged up is the closest thing I can get to it. xD

But that's a bit off-topic.

One thing that I've noticed helps me a bit as well is to take a couple pain-relievers a couple hours before bed. I'm not sure if it's just me, but shoulder and neck problems really have an impact on how well I sleep at night.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-10-18, 07:05 PM
Melatonine does the trick for falling asleep, for me, usually.

Getting up...Well thats a bit harder.

Occasionaly the thought of the people whom I've agreed to make a production for, who rely on me to make that production, prods a little.

PopcornMage
2010-10-18, 07:21 PM
So, any other methods, tricks or rituals that help people go to sleep and/or wake up?

Breathe-right strips help me sleep better, or even just irrigation of my sinuses.

But really, I think everybody has different issues, and problems, so I think identifying what is causing your problems is the issue.

nihilism
2010-10-18, 07:32 PM
a surprising number of people (including me) have delayed sleep syndrome

basically your not on a 24 hour cycle and its impossible to move back and very difficult to not move forward. the solution if you screw up is my curse and my cure chronotherapy, basically you move your bedtime forward around the clock until your back to normal.

melatonin does work, but really just pharmaceutical grade. most of the other stuff is useless.

avoiding screen stuff before bed is important.

melatonin is really only produced in the dark and is disrupted by light. i wear sunglasses at night an hour before sleep which helps.

Meirnon
2010-10-18, 07:35 PM
a surprising number of people (including me) have delayed sleep syndrome

basically your not on a 24 hour cycle and its impossible to move back and very difficult to not move forward. the solution if you screw up is my curse and my cure chronotherapy, basically you move your bedtime forward around the clock until your back to normal.

melatonin does work, but really just pharmaceutical grade. most of the other stuff is useless.

melatonin is really only produced in the dark and is disrupted by light. i wear sunglasses at night an hour before sleep which helps.

I thought that the average person's circadian rhythm ran on a 25-hour cycle? :smallconfused:

Closet_Skeleton
2010-10-18, 07:47 PM
My mum always recommended "tell yourself stories" to help you go to sleep, since this apparently helps her. Sadly my mind is constantly inventing stories throughout the day, so this doesn't help at all.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-10-18, 07:54 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm taking. Prescribed by my doctor.

Hmmm, I've tried it, yet its pretty much impossible for me, unless I"m going out. And then I'm usually tired enough that I don't have sleeping problems.:smallamused:

I should try that, sunglasses...:smallsmile:

Meirnon
2010-10-18, 07:56 PM
I should try that, sunglasses...:smallsmile:

"Why are you wearing sun glasses indoors at night...?"
"It soothes me..."

nihilism
2010-10-18, 08:10 PM
lol the only way you can wear them at night without looking like a pompous moron or hungover.

Sammich
2010-10-19, 12:11 AM
Specifically, it seems to be blue light that inhibits melatonin production. Human bodies are nowhere near keeping up with our technological advancements, so it makes sense that if the sky (the primary source of that colour naturally) is blue then it's day else go to sleep. Also, the orange glow of a fire supports this too.

ForzaFiori
2010-10-19, 12:23 AM
one of the main causes of insomnia is that your body takes longer than normal to start producing the drugs that make you sleepy, and start your sleep cycle. I've found that keeping a set pattern of things to do before bed helps me beat this. you get 5-7 things you'll do every day before you go to bed, and you do them in the same order. It can be as simple as "brush your teeth, lay down, read for 30 minutes, turn off the light". Instead of starting up the sleep cycle when you turn off the light, it starts it when you brush your teeth, so that by the time you get to turn off the light, your where you should be.

No idea on how to wake up though.

Gullara
2010-10-19, 12:26 AM
I forgot the aspect of the thread that actually applies to me. Waking up.

I hate waking up. I set my alarm at 6:45 to make sure I get up by 7:30. That's hitting snooze five times. Even after that it takes a lot of willpower to drag myself out of bed.

Once I'm up and showered I don't feel too bad though. It's just the initial getting up.

Amiel
2010-10-19, 12:32 AM
You fall asleep faster if your body is cooler than if it is warmer; throw off some of the layers perhaps?

Meirnon
2010-10-19, 12:39 AM
Does anyone have trouble staying asleep?

I know that, personally, even if I go to sleep early successfully, I wake up earlier, just as tired, at about the same amount of time I'd normally, get up. Afterwards, I have a hard time going back to sleep for the last hour or two.

Another problem I personally have is that, even when I'm tired and haven't slept for a day, I lay awake at night in a dazed stupor- not quite awake, but definitely far from asleep. Does anyone have this problem as well?

Gullara
2010-10-19, 01:00 AM

I know that, personally, even if I go to sleep early successfully, I wake up earlier, just as tired, at about the same amount of time I'd normally, get up. Afterwards, I have a hard time going back to sleep for the last hour or two.

Another problem I personally have is that, even when I'm tired and haven't slept for a day, I lay awake at night in a dazed stupor- not quite awake, but definitely far from asleep. Does anyone have this problem as well?

Not me. Actually I sleep very deeply. The dog barks all the time at night and I don't wake up.

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 01:02 AM
I forgot the aspect of the thread that actually applies to me. Waking up.

Sounds like you aren't getting enough rest while you sleep, or alternatively, your body isn't triggering to wake up. Does sunlight come into your room? If not, you may wish to try that.

Yes, it is a common problem. Breath-right strips help me with it, but that may not be your problem.

Amiel
2010-10-19, 01:05 AM

There could be disruptions to your Circadian rhythm (sleep-wake cycle). Have you been varying the times when you sleep. Regular, healthy sleep requires consistency.

Unfortunately, this would be insomnia.
I also have this, regularly. It's very annoying.

Not me. Actually I sleep very deeply. The dog barks all the time at night and I don't wake up.

The dog was on your bed, watching you sleep :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-10-19, 01:08 AM
Sounds like you aren't getting enough rest while you sleep, or alternatively, your body isn't triggering to wake up. Does sunlight come into your room? If not, you may wish to try that.

It's probably the sunlight thing actually. I sleep in a basement with a window that faces North, so I get very little light.

Now that I think about it, it was different when I lived with my parents. In the summer lots of light would come into the room, because although I was still in the basement the window faced South. I would wake up fine then.

I don't see how I can solve the problem though. I can't flip the entire house around:smallbiggrin: Or change the season for that matter.

The dog was on your bed, watching you sleep :smalltongue:

Nope I keep that dang dog out:smalltongue:

Amiel
2010-10-19, 01:12 AM
Nope I keep that dang dog out:smalltongue:

The dog was outside your window, watching you sleep :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-10-19, 01:13 AM
The dog was outside your window, watching you sleep :smalltongue:

Yo're starting to scare me now:smalltongue:

Amiel
2010-10-19, 01:16 AM
Yo're starting to scare me now:smalltongue:

Me? or the dog? :smalltongue:
Animals, you can never trust them, especially when their "so-called owners" are asleep; you never know what they'll get up to...dun dun dun

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 01:19 AM
I don't see how I can solve the problem though. I can't flip the entire house around:smallbiggrin: Or change the season for that matter.

Look for a daylight bulb with a timer. There may even be a device purpose built for this particular usage, it could even come with a gradual brightening mode.

Gullara
2010-10-19, 01:52 AM
Look for a daylight bulb with a timer. There may even be a device purpose built for this particular usage, it could even come with a gradual brightening mode.

That would be great. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks for the help.

Meirnon
2010-10-19, 11:19 AM

I believe they have head-gear for people who live in extreme north/south areas. Since the sun is down for half the year, they have lights on headbands or something to stimulate their circadian rhythm and keep it steady.

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 11:27 AM
I don't think you can wear one in bed.

Meirnon
2010-10-19, 01:11 PM
I don't think you can wear one in bed.

Yeah, my dad had to wear one, and I'm pretty sure you do. :smallconfused:

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 01:33 PM
Wouldn't be comfortable for me, but if there's a design that has an alarm timer sure, it could work.

A daylight bulb and a timer for it is at least more readily available as a first step though.

Meirnon
2010-10-19, 02:24 PM
Wouldn't be comfortable for me, but if there's a design that has an alarm timer sure, it could work.

A daylight bulb and a timer for it is at least more readily available as a first step though.

No argument there. :smallwink:

Ceric
2010-10-20, 08:45 PM
Haven't got much to contribute about going to sleep. I know that when I try to go to sleep I can't, and when I stop thinking about it I do, and I have no idea how to apply that.

I'm terrible at waking up, but I've noticed that if a routine is new then waking is much easier. On the first day of school after summer vacation, I'll be bright and awake as soon as my alarm rings, get out of bed, and be ready half an hour before we have to leave. By the second or third week, I'm hitting the snooze button for half an hour before dragging myself blearily out and getting to school late. However, if I have to get to school an hour early for some event or other, I wake up fine and early again. Same if I change my alarm ring, even on a normal day.

Oh, and a kip-up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BLtpwmTeas&feature=related) works really well too. You're already lying on your back, just throw off the covers and jump up! (I can only do about half of one, I land on my feet and then fall, but it's still hard to go back to sleep after something like that :smalltongue:)

Sammich
2010-10-21, 04:30 AM
I'm terrible at waking up, but I've noticed that if a routine is new then waking is much easier. On the first day of school after summer vacation, I'll be bright and awake as soon as my alarm rings, get out of bed, and be ready half an hour before we have to leave. By the second or third week, I'm hitting the snooze button for half an hour before dragging myself blearily out and getting to school late. However, if I have to get to school an hour early for some event or other, I wake up fine and early again. Same if I change my alarm ring, even on a normal day.

That might be because one is consciously going over the new routine the night before. Or maybe the shorter sleeping hours start taking their toll over time. Happens to me too.

Lillith
2010-10-22, 06:32 AM
Anybody have any suggestions for someone who can't fall asleep because her mind is still racing so to speak? I keep thinking about stuff. Like things that bother me, or just things in general. Sometimes my mind starts to come up with stories. It doesn't make it easy to fall asleep at all. =(

Skeppio
2010-10-22, 06:49 AM
I get that sometimes, Lillith. Alarmingly frequently in recent times. Really sorry, but I don't have any solution for it. I just kinda lie and hope I'll drop off soon. Still, I know the feeling. :smallfrown:

PopcornMage
2010-10-22, 07:33 AM
Anybody have any suggestions for someone who can't fall asleep because her mind is still racing so to speak? I keep thinking about stuff. Like things that bother me, or just things in general. Sometimes my mind starts to come up with stories. It doesn't make it easy to fall asleep at all. =(

Well, there are two different ways that can come about. One is hyper-creativity, and another is anxiety. Bit different manifestations, but I'd still suggest the same solutions though.

Avoid caffeine, sugar, and other stimulants before bedtime.

Develop a meditation technique.

Believe it or not, it works to relax you, and once you get into the habit, it becomes routine.

Meirnon
2010-10-22, 08:56 AM

I like wiggling my toes in a structured fashion... like... "left toes clench, right toes clench, left toes release, right toes release, repeat." I fall asleep almost every time I do this, especially if I do it in beat with soft music.

Pixiedragon
2010-10-22, 02:45 PM
Something that is often forgotten with not being able to fall asleep:
If you do a lot of other stuff in bed apart from sleeping (I mean things like watching tv/reading a book/writing/etc etc), your bed won't be associated with purely sleeping anymore.
So if you have trouble falling asleep, try checking what kinds of things you always do while laying in/sitting on your bed.
Like what Lillith says; if your mind is still racing when you're trying to fall asleep and you keep thinking and thinking and thinking your mind will start to think that's what you're supposed to do when you're in bed.
In that case it might also be a good idea to just get up again, sit on a comfy chair for a few minutes to half an hour until you're sleepy again. Perhaps even read a book or whatever you like to do before you go to sleep. Then you go back to bed and close your eyes.
It takes a week to a few weeks to get used to it but if you're used to it, you'll be glad of the trouble you went through. :)

Oh, and also don't keep thinking "I can't sleep, I can't sleep".
That's what I often do and I tell you, it's a self fulfilling prophecy...

nihilism
2010-10-22, 09:50 PM
the best advice for anyone with consistent sleep problems is to see a sleep specialist and or psychologist.

Newt
2010-10-23, 08:17 AM
Easy to sleep.

Blank. :P

Quite literally, stop thinking. About anything. If you can get your mind to totally stop, then sleep is reasonably easy. I've been told that it's high level meditation? But hey, if you can't sleep, then lots of time to practice. :P

---
Edited to quote Nihilism

the best advice for anyone with consistent sleep problems is to see a sleep specialist and or psychologist.

Medics won't work, they might give you pills, but that won't help you sleep. Or if it does, it won't for long. The most common thing you'll hear is "exercise more", "have less sugar/caffeine/etc in your diet", all common sense. For which you'll be charged a small fortune to do. As annoying as it is, for problems involving things like sleep, most people really are on their own.

Although should definitely go to the docs for a few times, some of the pills will make you completely trip out.

"Woah, I can float. :D" Might not help you sleep, but at least it isn't boring.

WalkingTarget
2010-10-25, 03:05 PM
The only tips I have myself are to take the time and stretch before going to sleep, and then relaxing and picturing each part of your body from your toes upward wiggling slightly with your eyes closed. Soft music sometimes helps, as well, if not any white-noise. Sometimes, just clenching and unclenching my toes in rhythm with the current song is enough to make me fall asleep without realising it (try it :D).

I do something remarkably similar when I notice that I've been lying in bed for an hour (or some other unspecified amount of time). I don't wiggle body parts as I move up and generally don't use music or anything (just make sure breathing is relaxed and listen to that). I've been doing that for, oh, 12 years or so now when it occurs to me.

As for waking up, I came across a strategy that works for me quite well (almost as long ago as the above falling-asleep trick). My alarm clock is across the room from my bed. In order to turn it off I have to stand up. Then, I would have to make a decision to go back to bed rather than just rolling over and I typically just decide that since I'm already up I may as well remain that way.

Lioness
2010-10-25, 06:01 PM
Medics won't work, they might give you pills, but that won't help you sleep. Or if it does, it won't for long. The most common thing you'll hear is "exercise more", "have less sugar/caffeine/etc in your diet", all common sense. For which you'll be charged a small fortune to do. As annoying as it is, for problems involving things like sleep, most people really are on their own.

Although should definitely go to the docs for a few times, some of the pills will make you completely trip out.

"Woah, I can float. :D" Might not help you sleep, but at least it isn't boring.

The first treatment method of a sleep specialist will almost certainly not be prescribing medication, especially seeing as psychologists aren't qualified to do so.

To avoid the cost of seeing a sleep specialist or psychologist, people who have trouble with sleep can try a number of things - routines, eating habits, schedules, no caffeine, white noise, music, etc.
However, if none of them work, then it's worth seeing a psychologist. They know things, and they're not immediately going to resort to biological "cures".

Meirnon
2010-10-25, 06:53 PM
The first treatment method of a sleep specialist will almost certainly not be prescribing medication, especially seeing as psychologists aren't qualified to do so.

Psychiatrists, however, are. ;P

Eldan
2010-10-26, 07:18 AM
I have trouble sleeping, yes. The only thing that seems to "help", so far, is reading for half an hour in the semi-dark before going to bed, then lying awake for another hour. And it's pretty much always exactly an hour. I can watch the clock from where I sleep. So, basically, I go to bed an hour earlier than I intend to sleep.

Lioness
2010-10-26, 07:30 AM
Psychiatrists, however, are. ;P

Oh, definitely, but that wasn't what was said in the post. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't confusion and such.

ShortOne
2010-10-26, 11:29 AM

There are indeed specific devices. They're called lightboxes, and some have settings where you can have it imitate the sun rising to help you wake up naturally.

Personally, I take enough meds for other things that make me drowsy that falling asleep is (mostly) not an issue anymore. Waking up, however, is really dreadful. The thing I've found to be the most helpful is getting the same hours of sleep each night (for me, it's about midnight to 10:30).

Partof1
2010-10-28, 05:41 PM
I've gotten falling asleep pretty well done by listening to certain albums on my iPod. This had impeded awakening, though, as I have noise cancelling headphones, and my iPod alarm seems useless. I think, to wake up, I should have Pink Floyd's Time set to play.

Faulty
2010-10-28, 10:33 PM
I can't get to sleep right now. I'm depressed in that way where you can't do anything to feel better except sleep until tomorrow but I can't sleep. I'm starving but I'm almost entirely completely totally out of clean dishes and utensils... So I'm using my last clean pot to cook some beans and I'm going to wash a spoon and eat them right out of the pot. I think I may just throw out my old dishes and get new ones...

Meirnon
2010-10-28, 10:36 PM
I can't get to sleep right now. I'm depressed in that way where you can't do anything to feel better except sleep until tomorrow but I can't sleep. I'm starving but I'm almost entirely completely totally out of clean dishes and utensils... So I'm using my last clean pot to cook some beans and I'm going to wash a spoon and eat them right out of the pot. I think I may just throw out my old dishes and get new ones...

Beans sound good right now... and why get rid of good dishes? :smallconfused:

And I know exactly how crippling that feeling is. Sometimes I just wanna shut my closet doors (cause my bed is in my closet), wrap myself in heavy blankets and just sleep for a year until everything's better.

Morph Bark
2010-10-29, 10:40 AM
While not really an insomniac, I have trouble sleeping before 1 AM and usually take about half an hour to fall asleep - and that's only the "lying still with your eyes closed" part. If I move, it's back to square one. Waking up is easy enough, but waking up on time without an alarm isn't, so I use it often. But when I get out of bed to shut it off, I go back into bed afterwards because it's just nice and warm. Usually that results in another half or full hour of sleep if I don't particularly watch out.

Not that bad on most of my days due to my usual schedule, but it can be a real hassle and forcing me to make haste in the morning for work, school or driving lessons.

Lillith
2010-10-29, 03:38 PM
So I tried some of the suggestions on here a couple of times. No luck really. Last night I went to bed before 11pm, I was still awake at 1:30am. I just couldn't fall asleep, I was wide awake. It's probably a combination of both anxiety and hyperactivity. Had a test today but since I've been studying for that for 2 weeks now I dunno, also I wasn't thinking about the test the whole time.

Some extra information, I sleep in a fairly dark room. No pets go inside (cause one of them makes a LOT of noise). I don't drink caffeine or get sugar before bedtime. I tried meditation but I don't know, it's like my mind is racing by that time and I can't really concentrate or anything. I don't really eat anything after 7pm for diet reasons and I go to bed at a fairly set time (except weekends).

Also it seems that even if I do fall asleep on time, or go to bed earlier, the next morning I'll still be exhausted. Any ideas what's going on? :smallfrown:

Newt
2010-10-29, 08:41 PM
Go for a short run before bed, use that as the start of your chilling time. If your mind is racing, that's exactly when calming down, with meditation as an option, is best. Don't try concentrating, rather, do the exact opposite. Blank, don't think about anything, Drop the stressing too, it's useless and you should know that by now. Your brain is generally going to work through its problems when you're asleep. Stressing will just keep you awake and is completely futile. Will also kill you, scientifically proven.

Also proven is that your body can't catch up on sleep you've lost. You can get to a rested point, but can't get more sleep than you need. So those of us on 15mn sleep averaged out are kinda stuffed. :P

You'll also need around a month of sleep with a reasonable diet and exercise before you begin to lose the tiredness. One night won't do it. One night of stressing out will make it worse. Speaking from experience too, think over stressing, or hyper anxiety as you put it, is genetic. My nan, father unit and myself are all perfectionists, prone to hyper active brains and sleep is fleeting. I got grey hair in yr10, my dad went insane (mildly but still) and my nan managed to go temporarily blind at Christmas.. 2 years ago? Round there. Hyper active brains are good if you focus them, can learn stupid fast. But control your brain. Remember those Asian movies, to master X, first you must master self. Actually that may be off karate kid. :S Lame. -.- But still a good general rule to go by.

Meirnon
2010-10-29, 08:49 PM
Go for a short run before bed, use that as the start of your chilling time. If your mind is racing, that's exactly when calming down, with meditation as an option, is best. Don't try concentrating, rather, do the exact opposite. Blank, don't think about anything, Drop the stressing too, it's useless and you should know that by now. Your brain is generally going to work through its problems when you're asleep. Stressing will just keep you awake and is completely futile. Will also kill you, scientifically proven.

Also proven is that your body can't catch up on sleep you've lost. You can get to a rested point, but can't get more sleep than you need. So those of us on 15mn sleep averaged out are kinda stuffed. :P

You'll also need around a month of sleep with a reasonable diet and exercise before you begin to lose the tiredness. One night won't do it. One night of stressing out will make it worse. Speaking from experience too, think over stressing, or hyper anxiety as you put it, is genetic. My nan, father unit and myself are all perfectionists, prone to hyper active brains and sleep is fleeting. I got grey hair in yr10, my dad went insane (mildly but still) and my nan managed to go temporarily blind at Christmas.. 2 years ago? Round there. Hyper active brains are good if you focus them, can learn stupid fast. But control your brain. Remember those Asian movies, to master X, first you must master self. Actually that may be off karate kid. :S Lame. -.- But still a good general rule to go by.

I think she's having trouble with "Polar Bear" syndrome. The less you try to think of a polar bear, the more it occurs in your thoughts.

Newt
2010-10-29, 08:58 PM

Actually, you really could. To both. :P Given enough inclination, money and time.

I love science. :D

To avoid the cost of seeing a sleep specialist or psychologist, people who have trouble with sleep can try a number of things - routines, eating habits, schedules, no caffeine, white noise, music, etc.
However, if none of them work, then it's worth seeing a psychologist. They know things, and they're not immediately going to resort to biological "cures".

Nah, the latest theory going around nowadays is that it's related to depression, and they love giving those anti-depressants out.

Also, what you may have missed, perfectly normal if you're assuming and you don't suffer from a lack of sleep, is that the majority of people will have tried that already. We exercise, check diet, listen to music, put rigid schedules in place to force our body to rest. All that is what most of us will do BEFORE we go to see a doc. Sure there'll be some people who miss a nights sleep and go to their docs straight away, but I like to think we're not all like that.

I'd also like to say psychologists talk a lot of crap, charge you a fortune for it, and are generally useless. From personal experience and everyone else I've ever known who's seen one. They gain levels by shoving a textbook up their butts and absorbing it, becoming self righteous little pricks. Again, law of large numbers, there's someone out there who's a psych and is actually decent. And there's also a wizard crafting an epic spell which will destroy the world in fire. :P

Meds are usually the first thing handed out in most countries, and they usually don't work. The ones that do, well, your body will develop a tolerance to it sooner or later depending on your physiology, at which point we're back to square one. Or even in negatives given we've canceled out one chemical which could help. And who wants to be doping to sleep? Which doesn't really leave many options, very much one of those "deal with it yourself" kinda things.

Yes, psychologists can't hand out meds, they can however refer you to a doctor who will give you the medication the psych recommended. Psychiatrists can hand out medication, and the amount of those is growing at pest levels, so you're more likely to see one of those than a psychologist. Sleep specialists will, as you said, go for diet, schedules, etc, all those things you more than likely checked yourself first. They may fix you if you think they can, otherwise you just become their little project they get to test theories on. Staves off boredom so I suppose it's a good cause.

--------------------------------
Edit

And wow that sounded jaded. :S

Meirnon
2010-11-01, 09:28 PM
Sooo... I haven't slept in around 30 hours-ish. Last night I put on white-noise, meditated, but no matter what I did, I was in this weird state of half-asleep/completely conscious. I think part of it was my very stuffy nose, terrible heart-burn, and this pain in my gut feeling like something made of fabric is ripping.

Anyways, I've been unable to do anything meaningful today (I take high-level courses in everything but math, my bane; also, 3rd year varsity policy debate is mind-wracking), and have felt like my eyes hurt really bad when I close them, and my vision is almost spinning when they're open.

Over all, I can't remember anything I did 2 or 3 hours ago with any clarity... it all seems like a haze to me. A very dizzy, disorienting haze where going downstairs makes me feel upside-down. :[

Any ideas as to what exactly I did wrong? I was tired, didn't have any caffeine, was relaxed and laying in bed with my computer and lights off for longer than I normally do in an attempt to go to sleep earlier. I hate it when this happens, and my grades suffer greatly every time this happens... usually before a test or something. Not sure if it's relevant at all, either, but I just learned last night that my grandpa's dying also, so... I'm not sure if it's stress or something really at all... :smallfrown:

I am so tired...

Thajocoth
2010-11-02, 03:36 AM
My biggest problem with getting up is if it's cold. "Ugh, as soon as I move this blanket, I will feel the cold sting of the air. It's too early to deal with that. I'll just lie here, awake, for another minute and then get up." Then I fall asleep again.

If it's too hot, then when my alarm goes off, I don't notice it and I stay asleep. It's like a foghorn sound. Eventually someone might wake me up to complain about it.

I also have trouble sleeping, but only sometimes. I can usually tell when I first lie down. If I'm uncomfortable, it's gonna be a few while. If anything hurts, it's gonna be hours. If I'm fine, it won't be too long. If I feel like I'm spinning when I close my eyes, I'll be asleep in under a minute.

I've been getting better, but it's started to be cold when I wake up lately, which is the hardest one to overcome. Stupid seasonal changes!

Newt
2010-11-02, 04:37 AM
Sooo... I haven't slept in around 30 hours-ish.

Any ideas as to what exactly I did wrong?
every time this happens... usually before a test or something. Not sure if it's relevant at all, either, but I just learned last night that my grandpa's dying also, so... I'm not sure if it's stress or something really at all... :smallfrown:

I am so tired...

A wad of monopoly cash.. Wait.. No monopoly monies.. Hmmm.. A wad of invisible internet cookies says yours is stress related. Especially if it happens before a test. Chill out. Only way you're going to sleep.

Off topic, 24 hours is fine, I've done exams on 5+ days up and 2 days without eating. Eating was a finance thing, but you get the point, 24 hours and you should be fine if you're relaxing. If you're not, well. You're either trolling and making all this up, you regularly get 8 hours sleep a night and have never pulled an all nighter so 24 hours up will cause havoc, or you're not lying in bed relaxing and also lying as in falsehood.

Or you're ill.. Normal people can live with 24hrs up occasionally (especially uni students), if you're a regular insomniac you can cope with very little sleep for years on end. Very little being nothing for 5 days straight or 15mn catnaps per 24hrs.

Meirnon
2010-11-02, 11:28 AM
A wad of monopoly cash.. Wait.. No monopoly monies.. Hmmm.. A wad of invisible internet cookies says yours is stress related. Especially if it happens before a test. Chill out. Only way you're going to sleep.

Off topic, 24 hours is fine, I've done exams on 5+ days up and 2 days without eating. Eating was a finance thing, but you get the point, 24 hours and you should be fine if you're relaxing. If you're not, well. You're either trolling and making all this up, you regularly get 8 hours sleep a night and have never pulled an all nighter so 24 hours up will cause havoc, or you're not lying in bed relaxing and also lying as in falsehood.

Or you're ill.. Normal people can live with 24hrs up occasionally (especially uni students), if you're a regular insomniac you can cope with very little sleep for years on end. Very little being nothing for 5 days straight or 15mn catnaps per 24hrs.

Ha, no, I'm not trolling. I have friends to corroborate my story, and I am terrible at being awake for anything more than 20 hours. After that point, everything gets hazy.

As for being sick, I normally am. I can tell because when I try to go to sleep, I start having tautological thought patterns that annoy all hell out of me for no good reason. It's usually accompanied by tummy-aches and morning vomits. :smallconfused: