PDA

View Full Version : [PEACH] Home-brew Electric Spells [3.5]

AustontheGreat1
2010-10-18, 12:07 PM
Howzer is my sorcerer who specialized in electricity and lightning based spells and stuff. wrote some spells up for fun. I'd like some input and whatnot before I ask my DM if they are Okay.

Howzer’s Ball Lightning
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Wiz/Sorc 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
Effect: 1 ball lightning + 1 ball lightning/5 levels.
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

With a flick of his wrist and a short unintelligible utterance, the mage summons an eerie ball of light. The ball floats slowly and gently and almost appears harmless. Suddenly the ball hurls a lightning bolt at the nearest available enemy.

This spell summons a small glowing sphere of electrical energy (about 2 feet in diameter.) The ball hovers roughly 3 feet of the ground and illuminates any area with the light equivalent to a torch. The orb can be moved at a speed of 15ft. per round with a mental command. Moving an orbs requires a move action. Once per round, the orb can fire an arc of electricity at any single creature within 10ft. The orb makes a ranged touch attack against the target. The modifier the attack is equal to the caster’s charisma modifier or intelligence modifier (whichever is higher) plus the caster’s caster level. If the attack is successful the target takes 1d6 electricity damage/2 levels. Making the orbs fire this bolt requires no action from the caster. The orbs have 3 hit points per caster level, DR 5/magic, and AC of 12 + the caster Intelligence Modifier or Charisma modifier (whichever is higher.)

Edit: As per Bloodtide's suggestions, it is now specified that it requires a move action to move a sphere but takes no action on the part of the caster to fire. added spell resistance. Yes, I guess it is complicated but where is the fun in just writing an electric version of a preexisting spell?

Howzer’s Electric Sheath
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Wiz/Sorc 4
Components: V, S, M
Range: Personal
Target: You

The mage quickly tosses a handful of fine metallic dust into the air which quickly sparks and sparkles out of existence as his body begins to ark electricity and hum with intense power.

This spell causes the caster’s body to surge with electric energy, damaging any attackers. Any opponent who attacks or touches the caster takes one point of electric damage for each caster level the caster possesses. Creatures using weapon made of metal or other especially conductive materials must succeed on a fortitude save or take twice the amount of damage.

Material
A handful of silver powder

Howzer’s Wall of Lightning
Evocation [Electricity]
Components: S, F
Casting Time: 1 Full-Round Action
Effect: Transparent wall of lightning 30ft. long and 5ft. high.
Saving Throw: yes; see text

The mage places the two iron rods into the ground so that they stand vertically. With a quick arcane gesture the space in between the rods is quickly filled with vibrant streaks of electricity.

This spell creates a glowing wall of electric energy. This wall extends in a 30 ft. line and is approximately 5 ft. high. Any creature or object that passes through the wall must make a reflex save or take 2d6 + 2/caster level (maximum +40) electricity damage. A successful reflex save means half damage. For creatures wearing metal armor or who are made of metal (such as some constructs) this save DC's for this spell is increased by 4. Additionally, any creature that passes through the wall and does not succeed on their reflex save must also make a fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1 round. The momentum the creature had before the paralysis carries them through the wall and two the otherside so that they are not subject to the effects of the wall on the subsequent round.

If the wall is created in a location so that creatures are already present in the path if the wall, those creatures are subject to the effects of the spell as though they had attempted to path through it.

Arcane Focus
Two iron rods of approximately 5 feet in length.

I wasn't sure if there was a electric wall spell. I could't find one and fire gets its own wall, so why can't electricity?

Edit: Took Mullet man's idea and just made the save higher for those wearing metal armor. Didn't bother with the evasion thing. This seemed like enough; especially considering that th

Howzer’s Stormcage
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Wiz/Sorc 6
Components: V, S, M
Effect: Cage of electric energy 20ft. high and 40ft. in diameter.
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: Yes; See Text

A tiny orb of blue light flies from the mage’s hand and hangs a good 20ft. above the heads of a group of enemies. Suddenly the orb fires a host of blue arcs of lightning that hum with electric power, forming a tent like cage of energy around the area.

This spell creates a powerful cage around a small area. Creatures within this area are caught and contained unless they are too big to fit within the cage, in which case the spell fails. Passage through the cage’s walls is possible as the cage is made of energy and not solid matter; however doing so is at the caged creatures own peril. Any creature attempting to move through the walls of the cage must succeed on a fortitude save in order to path through. Creatures who fail this save are knocked back 5ft. and take 1d6 points of electricity damage per caster level (maximum 10d6.) If the save is successful then the creature takes half this damage and passes to the outside of the cage.

Howzer’s Ride the Lightning
Transmutation [Electricity]
Components: V, S
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min/level

In an explosion of light and a crack of thunder, the mage disappears into the sky. Thunder echoes in the distance and feint flashes of light can be seen fading away over the horizon.

This spell turns the caster into a being of pure electricity appearing as a man-shaped point of energy. He becomes weightless and can fly at a speed of up to 1 mile a round with perfect maneuverability. At such amazing speeds the caster cannot make out fine details but can still identify landmarks and other features; meaning it isn’t difficult to see where he is going.

While in this form the caster is a being of energy and as such cannot affect or be affected by the physical world. He cannot attack and cannot be attacked, nor can cast spells; even those that do not require somatic or verbal components (such as spells prepared with the silent spell or still spell metamagic feats.)

While in this form the caster still cannot travel through solid objects but the caster can easily turn to avoid any object in his path. Collision with a solid object in this form deals no damage, but simply deflects the caster in a direction of his choice.

Arcane Material Components
A collection of topaz gems worth 250 gp

I definitely don't know how balanced this is. The basic idea is that the character turns into a beam of light allowing him to travel really fast but he can't touch anything or do anything but move (or stay still I guess). 1 mile per round is hardly the speed of light but it still seems pretty quick. You get fly one level before this level but this spell removed your ability to utilize flight in combat; and teleport you get at level 4 which lets you travel the same distances in an instant. anyway, there are probably all types of things wrong with this.

absolmorph
2010-10-18, 01:04 PM
I'm not certain about the others, but I think Ride the Lightning is fine. At first I was worried about PCs using it to go places they weren't meant to go, but Teleport is the same level (and it doesn't cost anything).
One thing I see issue with is that metal armor and weapons get hit for double damage by these spells. I understand why, but most of them are metal.
Enemy fighters would pretty much NEED special armor just so they can survive Electric Sheath and Wall of Lightning.

At level 9 (the minimum level), Wall of Lightning does 2d6+18 damage (4d6+36 if they're in metal armor). That's 25/50 average damage. A level 9 fighter will have 49.5+(9*Con) hitpoints. So, if they have 14 Con, the fighter would have 18 hit points left.
There are 4 armors and 2 shields that are not automatically made of metal in the SRD. Hide is inferior to a chain shirt in every way but cost.

bloodtide
2010-10-18, 01:30 PM
1.Howzer’s Ball Lightning looks a bit complicated. Having a couple of balls of lighting floating around shooting lightning bolts? And damage of 1d6/2 levels...so 5d6 at 10th? Two balls, so 10d6? And caster level to attack is quite high. Plus does it take an action by the caster to shoot a lightning bolt? It should be at least a move action per bolt. And why no save and no SR?

If you want a Ball Lightning spell, why not just use Flaming sphere as a base?'

2.Howzer’s Electric Sheath. Fire shield has the cap of +15, so should this spell. Keep the damage auto, but give the metal folks a save and if they fail take double damage. And don't forget, if the attacker has spell resistance, it applies to this effect.

3.Howzer’s Wall of Lightning looks just fine.

4.Howzer’s Stormcage again looks fine.

5.Howzer’s Ride the Lightning sounds like a good idea, but does not feel useful. Why zip along at a mile a round if you can teleport or fly(overland filght)? This spell might be much more useful as a close combat movement spell. For example, the caster could 'lightning away' from a foe.

Ziegander
2010-10-18, 03:02 PM
I'm thinking that upon "take-off" and "landing" at anytime during the duration of the spell it should conjure a bolt of lightning (cylinder effect that's however high up you go and 5ft wide) which deals 1d6 damage per caster level (maybe max 10d6), reflex halves. This way it has combat applications.

Mulletmanalive
2010-10-18, 04:55 PM
While i'm well enough versed in physics to know that the usual argument about fFariday cages only works if you're not touching the conductive sheath, it doesn't seem right that thtese particularly bitchslap the fighter...

Wouldn't maybe +4 DC and possibly "ignores Evasion" be enough? Something like that? The obvious exception being the Lightning Sheath spell, where it's just cool...

I like the turning into lightning bit: it was cool in Negima and so it remains. Possibly a touch attack and a vulnerability to metal weapons [as you get earthed] would make the spell more interesting; it's not overpowered as is, i don't think. It would probably be simpler to adjudicate as a longer ranged dimension door though...

HavoK
2013-02-21, 03:50 AM
I'm looking to build a half elemental pc based on a cross between Raiden and lightning from big trouble in little china. We are starting at level 12 and useing 3.5e with almost all of the source books available for consideration. My dm is fairly generous with rolls and stats and is willing to let us give up stuff to get other stuff, within reason. My current plan is to go for 10 levels of sorcerer and 2 of monk then maybe work towards kensai. I've been reading a fair amount about how bad monk is so my question is do you have any suggestions on how to optimize my character.