PDA

View Full Version : Bedbugs and a game of hide and seek

Marillion
2010-10-18, 04:11 PM
So I saw a couple bedbugs the other day. As soon as I stopped gibbering long enough to pry myself off the ceiling, I went and got some bedbug spray from the store and sprayed the heck out of the bedroom. I close the door, stuff a towel under the door so they can't escape their foggy death, and start gathering the animals so I can spray the heck out of the living room. Big dog, accounted for. Little dog, accounted for. Skinny cat, accounted for. Fattie cat...

I take a deep breath and run back into the bedroom, thinking for sure that I must have accidentally locked him in there and now he's gonna die to death and I'll never forgive myself. But he's not there, and I'm pretty sure I've given myself lung cancer.

I come back out and renew my search, looking under the couch, on top of the bookshelf, and in all the cabinets. But still, no sign of him. At this point, I figure he must have gotten out somehow, and so I go look through the whole building, including the laundry room and the bushes outside. Still no kitty.

An hour and a half later, I come back and that darn cat is crawling out of the cabinet under the sink.
LOOK AT THIS SMUG JERK.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/Saroth/32047_1405963482047_1621200040_1037.jpg
"I did it on purpose"

Apparently, a part of the wall had rotted away, letting the cat roam the walls of the apartment building. :smallmad:

So anyway, the point of this thread is to discuss insecticidal glee and/or animal antics that make you wonder why you got a pet in the first place.

Gullara
2010-10-18, 04:13 PM
That is awesome. Cats are great:smallbiggrin:

Mr. Moon
2010-10-18, 05:28 PM
o.o
Ohmigosh, are you okay? That stuff is scary. o.o

On topic, though, my Mum used to keep a collection of these chocolate bars that were reeeeaaally good. And she never let me have any. A few days after she ran out, I started finding them scattered around the house, but only in rooms where I was the only one who used them, namely the store-room that I've turned into a studio and my room. Turns out, my dog, Tate, had been taking them from Mum's room and hiding them like bones. I like to think he was doing it for me, since there were no bite-marks in any of the wrappers or bars.
Okay, not really a bad thing for me, but Mum was annoyed when she found out.

bluewind95
2010-10-18, 10:37 PM
I got a pretty little betta girl once. She was tiny. A very tiny little thing. She couldn't swim very well, though. So I kept her in her cup so she wouldn't drown. But it was winter and I didn't want her to freeze either. So I floated her in a tiny little cup in the tank. Except it turns out she had quite the attitude and didn't want to stay in a tiny little cup if she could get into the tank. So she happily jumped up and went straight into the tank. My mom calls me at 1 am because she'd woken up and couldn't find her in the cup. She thought she'd jumped and we looked all over the floor for her. Just to make sure, I looked back into the tank and looked more carefully and there she was. A tiny little thing in a corner, fins clamped in frustration with being unable to swim, but hey! She was in the BIG tank. I never was able to float her in a tiny cup. She'd ALWAYS jump into the tank. She later got better, but still.

TFT
2010-10-19, 12:16 AM
I got a pretty little betta girl once. She was tiny. A very tiny little thing. She couldn't swim very well, though. So I kept her in her cup so she wouldn't drown. But it was winter and I didn't want her to freeze either. So I floated her in a tiny little cup in the tank. Except it turns out she had quite the attitude and didn't want to stay in a tiny little cup if she could get into the tank. So she happily jumped up and went straight into the tank. My mom calls me at 1 am because she'd woken up and couldn't find her in the cup. She thought she'd jumped and we looked all over the floor for her. Just to make sure, I looked back into the tank and looked more carefully and there she was. A tiny little thing in a corner, fins clamped in frustration with being unable to swim, but hey! She was in the BIG tank. I never was able to float her in a tiny cup. She'd ALWAYS jump into the tank. She later got better, but still.

I wish my fish had been that cool. All that would happen is one would kill off a bunch of others (And no, it wasn't even the violent type of fish! It was a very aggressive... Oh wait, I don't remember. *Will look up later, PM if I don't*) and the occasional group of baby fish.

But anyways...

We got a couple of new cats a while ago. Said cats were not liked by a certain cat we already had, so that cat would and will purposely chase the other off. So, one of the new cats decides it will be oh so much fun to try to get inside the house... at about midnight... with the cat that hates it at the front door. The cat got in, but the other cat attacked it, waking me up and forcing me to carry the dumb scaredy cat out. Needless to say, I was a little annoyed at both of the aforementioned cats.

Amiel
2010-10-19, 12:18 AM
Win.

Apparently, some animals, especially cats and dogs can detect the presence of otherworldly beings, be they spirits, ghosts or miscellaneous.
Some cats and dogs seem to be especially fixated on a particular wall or location of the house...

Gullara
2010-10-19, 12:22 AM
I wish my fish had been that cool. All that would happen is one would kill off a bunch of others (And no, it wasn't even the violent type of fish! It was a very aggressive... Oh wait, I don't remember. *Will look up later, PM if I don't*) and the occasional group of baby fish.

{scrubbed}

factotum
2010-10-19, 01:23 AM
To borrow a phrase from a Garfield comic: There's one good thing about owning a cat...but I don't know what it is. :smallwink:

The_Admiral
2010-10-19, 05:17 AM
My old dog Stout he can escape any cage any harness slip through any gate we nickname him Houndini

Lillith
2010-10-19, 08:34 AM
Oh man where to start. Especially our youngest cat Cleo is very good in causing antics in the house. Most notably she found out a piece of would of the kitchen cabinets was loose. She kept pushing it and pushing it while we tried to figure out what she was doing. Eventually she managed to broke the would and got into the little space that was behind it. AND HAPPY SHE WAS. We managed to pull her out but she kept doing it every single time she got the chance until we fixed it.

The middle cat Luna, while a lot calmer, managed to get me and my parents searching for her the whole day through the entire neighborhood because the door had been open and we couldn't find her. When it was about 9pm (try searching a black cat at night) we gave up and came home to discover the little brat sleeping in a chair.

The oldest cat Gunnar has been pretty laid back his whole life. Though when he was a kitten he managed to get into the weirdest accidents like falling into the local pound after escaping (coming back green) and cutting his tongue vertically in half. (He looks like a snake now)

bluewind95
2010-10-19, 10:11 AM
{scrubbed the original, scrubbed the quote}

{scrubbed}

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-10-19, 11:20 AM
If you've got bed bugs, I would call a professional exterminator, ASAP. Bedbugs are incredibly hard to get rid of, and one application of otc bug stuff probably won't do the trick. I have relatives who got them from a time share. It took them months to get rid of them, and they ended up having to completely trash their bed. And on top of that, the whole family ended up having to put a vast majority of clothes and other soft furry things (stuffed animals and the like) outside (it was winter), and freeze the little buggers to death for several days. Bedbugs are nothing to sneeze at. I'd get the Orkin Man over quickly and see what they say.

Marillion
2010-10-19, 02:16 PM
If you've got bed bugs, I would call a professional exterminator, ASAP. Bedbugs are incredibly hard to get rid of, and one application of otc bug stuff probably won't do the trick. I have relatives who got them from a time share. It took them months to get rid of them, and they ended up having to completely trash their bed. And on top of that, the whole family ended up having to put a vast majority of clothes and other soft furry things (stuffed animals and the like) outside (it was winter), and freeze the little buggers to death for several days. Bedbugs are nothing to sneeze at. I'd get the Orkin Man over quickly and see what they say.

Actually, the stuff worked great. Which is nice, because I can't afford a professional. I haven't been bitten in a week. I am planning to do another application or two and have washed everything I own in nigh-boiling water (because eggs:smallmad:) but it appears to be taken care of.

I'd like to introduce you all to Romeo.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/Saroth/22371_101240109905150_1000005748547.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/Saroth/22371_101239139905247_1000005748547.jpg

A beautiful, friendly boxer, if a little on the dumb side. This dog kept me in shape while I lived with my mom, because he would escape constantly and I'd have to catch him. On one memorable occasion, I had to chase him for 30 minutes, crossing 6 lanes of traffic, a few streams, and a field of mud that I almost lost my shoes in. And then I had to carry him home.

He's also ridiculously strong. He breaks lines built for dogs twice his size.
Once, we tied him to a 30 pound log while we went fishing. While tethered to this log, he managed not only to outrun me but to outswim me as well. He's cleared fences as tall as me, and I've seen him take an oil tanker to the face at 40 MPH and keep running. Romeo has single-handedly shaved 3 years off my life, and I love that dope. :smallbiggrin:

Gullara
2010-10-19, 02:20 PM
{scrubbed the original, scrubbed the quote}

To be honest I felt bad about it afterward.

There was nothing I could do with them. Giving them away and selling them were not options. And I sure couldn't get them to an aquaculturist. I lived in a small town.

You're are right, I didn't handle it properly. I'm sorry I offended you.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-19, 06:53 PM
If you couldn't take care of them, why did you even get the poor things?

Gullara
2010-10-19, 07:18 PM
If you couldn't take care of them, why did you even get the poor things?

I never got them myself. We had them for years before this all happened. They were at the end of their life, although I know that doesn't justify it. It was completely out of irresponsibility that it happened. If I had them now It probably wouldn't happen.

I don't know what I was thinking posting it. Once again I am sorry to those I have offended. I hope you don't think any less of me because of it.

EmeraldRose
2010-10-19, 08:04 PM
Tonight, I left my dinner for about 30 seconds so I could get more food for my 2 year old who was loudly demanding seconds. When I turned back to my plate the cat was eating my macaroni and cheese.

:smallfurious:

Gullara
2010-10-19, 08:14 PM
Tonight, I left my dinner for about 30 seconds so I could get more food for my 2 year old who was loudly demanding seconds. When I turned back to my plate the cat was eating my macaroni and cheese.

:smalltongue:When we had our cats indoors they would always do that. My dad would yell across the house for them to get off. Of course that would never work, they're cats:smallbiggrin:. So someone would always have to run and throw them in the basement. Poor cats, the food just smelled so good:smallbiggrin:

EmeraldRose
2010-10-19, 08:17 PM
Yeah well, this stupid cat is getting worse about it. He'll actually go under the hig chair after dinner and eat half the stuff that's dropped on the floor if we don't clean it up right away. He also randomly licks things looking for food.

I think he's just got dementia.

Stupid cat.

He's also the same one that peed on my favorite shoes. In my closet.

GreyRat
2010-10-20, 10:19 AM
My cat appears to have read the wrong set of pet instructions, because he's a very good *dog*.
He follows me around the house, lays down at my feet, wags his tail when he's happy, and likes to go out with me for a walk on a leash. He's also not terribly dexterous or silent, and he's only slightly smarter than a houseplant. I love him totally, but if he's the best I can do for an animal companion, I must be a pitifully low level character. :smallfrown:

ScottishDragon
2010-10-20, 07:02 PM

Heh,this happens to me,all day,everything,let it be vegetable or meat,must be eaten by the kitten,every drink too.And if drinking it impossible then it MUST be spilled.We have to lock him in his "room" during dinner.But somehow he always ends up knocking over a cup.And if we are making food on the counter,it's not safe,although I have no idea how he gets up there.Nothing around fr kittens to jump off of onto the counter.

Quincunx
2010-10-21, 05:29 AM
I was quite tired one night, possibly from overstuffing myself on yummy fresh-baked bread, so I staggered off to sleep without cleaning up the kneading area and without being roused by the nightly clamor of young littermates chasing one another around the house.

Floury pawprints on the kitchen counter, the stovetop, the edge of the sink, the top of the faucet, the oven door (from the counter), the oven door (from the floor), the floor, the kitchen seats, the kitchen table, the kitchen windowsill, the adjacent windowsill. . .and two cats who could not comprehend how I had figured out they'd been somewhere forbidden!

@V: Wet cleaning rags and mopping. The flour had petered out by the time they got to upholstered and carpeted surfaces, thank goodness for small favors.

Coidzor
2010-10-21, 05:32 AM
I hope you've embarked on a full vacuuming of the house as well. :smalleek:

And animals.

My cats mostly claw me and make my sinuses swell/run/stuff/asplode. Occasionally they've gotten really nasty and actually run one another off. :smallannoyed:

Amiel
2010-10-21, 05:34 AM
That's unsurprising; cats are incredibly dexterous and natural born ninjas. They manage to open doors after all (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBLrpJAJWmU), that's one better than the velociraptors.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-21, 05:49 AM
I had this weird experience a few weeks back where I thought I felt something crawling on me in bed. I rushed up and turned on the lights but could find and bugs. I tried to go back to sleep about a half hour later, but I also thought I felt something. I couldn't go back to sleep so I stayed up all night. Then, the next day, while in the basement, I say a huge spider. I mean huge. It was like two inches long. I think I may be developing arachnophobia.

Eldan
2010-10-21, 05:53 AM
We had, at the same time, a dog and a cat.

The dog was a 70 kg , hip-high monstrosity. And, at the same time, the kindest, most cuddly animal I ever met. He was also a huge coward: on his first encounter with sheep, he tried to run up to one (probably just to smell it from up close, I never saw him attack anything) and got tangled in the electric fence. Then kicked by a sheep. Since then, he was afraid of pretty much every other animal, the poor guy.

Our cat at the time was a white Persian and a huge bitch. To everyone. Her hobbies included chasing the dog around the house, walking up the stairs to the upper floor and dropping on him, scaring him away from his food, then sitting in it and taking his blanket by the oven (he needed it because he got arthritis).

Once when she got kittens, she actually managed to get inside the wall and build a "nest" in the isolation material.