PDA

View Full Version : How close are you to your username?

druid91
2010-10-19, 06:46 AM
I was thinking the other day, And I realized that I have come to treat my username just like my name. If someone called druid91 when I walked by I'd probably answer.Admittedly, I'd be more than a little confused as to why someone is calling me that. But I'd still probably answer, or at least turn to look.
That got me to wondering. Does anyone else act this way about there username? Or does everyone act this way?

Eldan
2010-10-19, 06:47 AM
Hmm. Probably not... if I meet people "from the internet" in real life, I tell them to call me by my real name. I would probably still look around if someone called me "Eldan", but I'd be confused.

Lioness
2010-10-19, 06:50 AM
I get to the point where someone starts talking about the animal and I think they're talking about me.

"I heard about this lioness on the news..."
"...what? Why was I on the ne-oh, nevermind"

I'd answer to "Lioness" in real life, so feel free to try it if you think you see me ^^

Force
2010-10-19, 06:51 AM
Of the two times I've gone to meet people from the net, one (a married couple who LARPs) called me mostly by Force and it seemed natural. The other also occasionally called me Force in real life as well.

Lillith
2010-10-19, 06:57 AM
Not this name no. I used to have a username that I used so much I came to accept it as a second name. Though I kind of want to get away from that life so I picked up a new username instead. Kind of annoying really because my old username is like my favorite name ever.

Blayze
2010-10-19, 06:58 AM
Since I use this nickname wherever I can, I've grown used to it--to the point where if one of my guildies or someone at a LAN calls me "Paul", I don't think they're talking to me. Hell, my housemate calls me Blayze--then again, he's both a guildie and a fellow LANner.

Sneak
2010-10-19, 07:03 AM
As I've been on this forum since 2005, when I was 11, I've kind of grown attached to my name, yes. I'm definitely used to it. If I heard someone call "Sneak," IRL, I'd definitely at least glance over.

That said, I kinda wished my 11-year-old self had picked a different username to become attached to. :smalltongue:

Trog
2010-10-19, 07:04 AM
I go to GitP meetups and typically get referred to by my user name. A great deal more than my real one. Though that might be normal as I remember most other playgrounders first by their user name, then, if I know it, their real name. But I've always been really bad at remembering names so if I remember either I'm happy. >>;

rakkoon
2010-10-19, 07:06 AM
Funny thing is that now, I'm quite interested in facts about raccoons while before I didn't really care.
Since the word raccoon contains my real name I would react anyhow :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2010-10-19, 07:10 AM
Very. Sometimes, when introducing myself, I almost call myself "Serpentine", and I would be more than happy for people to call me by it.

Skeppio
2010-10-19, 07:13 AM
I've almost called myself Skeppio several times. The only deliberate time I've done so was at the Melbourne meet-up, and I quickly followed with my real name. I do answer to Skeppio or Skep on the occasion that one of my friends calls me by it.

I'd definitely go by the name Skeppio if I had the choice though. :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-10-19, 07:13 AM
As I've been on this forum since 2005, when I was 11, I've kind of grown attached to my name, yes. I'm definitely used to it. If I heard someone call "Sneak," IRL, I'd definitely at least glance over.

That said, I kinda wished my 11-year-old self had picked a different username to become attached to. :smalltongue:
Just scratch 2005 with 2007, 11 with 13 and ''Sneak'' with ''Dallas-Dakota'' and you've got the exact thing I wanted to post.:smalltongue:

Though I would definetely look over, since Dallas-Dakota is definetely not as common as ''sneak''.:smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
2010-10-19, 07:16 AM
I hear the word "Mauve" and wonder if someone's talking about me. And my second thought tends to be "They're pronouncing it wrong. :smallannoyed:"

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-19, 07:18 AM
The Rose Dragon? Not really.

Khantalas, Khan or Corin? Definitely.

Eldan
2010-10-19, 07:18 AM
How can you mispronounce "mauve"?

Ichneumon
2010-10-19, 07:19 AM
I'm very close to my username. I wouldn't want people to call me Ichneumon in real life, but I'm still very close to it that I get annoyed when somebody else is using it or catches my attention when I hear it in another context.

Who
2010-10-19, 07:20 AM
If I looked over every time someone said mine I'd get neck strain :smalltongue:, still I am rather attached to it.

JediSoth
2010-10-19, 07:30 AM
I would probably respond to someone using my username, but I would encourage them to use my real name. The only place I might make an exception, would be at a gaming convention, but even then, my real name is on my badge, so I would prefer they use that.

That being said, I wouldn't want to give it up for a different username; I've been using it for some 14+ years now.

rakkoon
2010-10-19, 07:43 AM

Well, I looked it up a few months back and I was wrong too.
It's not French :smallsmile:

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-19, 07:47 AM
I'm attached to my name, I'd be saddened if the mods made me change it or something.

In real life; not at all. I went to the UKitP meetup and while some people where happy to be called by their username I found it really weird when someone introduced me as Kobold-Bard.

SMEE
2010-10-19, 07:49 AM
I've been going with Smee since 1998.
Eve my college teachers would call me Smee.
If someone were to ask for my real name, few would know who they were talking about. But if they asked for Smee, everyone would point to me. :smallconfused:

rakkoon
2010-10-19, 07:50 AM
If they asked for "Leggy McLegs" they would also point to you btw :smallamused:

SMEE
2010-10-19, 07:56 AM
If they asked for "Leggy McLegs" they would also point to you btw :smallamused:

Perhaps... perhaps. :smallamused:

Morph Bark
2010-10-19, 07:57 AM
If someone called me M-Bark or Bark or such, I wouldn't answer. My usual online username is Morph or a variation thereof (Morphman, Morpholomew - Morph for forums, Morpholomew for DeviantART, fanfiction.net, YouTube, etc.) and that is one that I feel close to and would be likely to answer to even in real life, as I have used it since the first forum I joined and rarely deviate from it.

truemane
2010-10-19, 08:02 AM
I've been using this username since I first started getting involved in on-line communities. And I've used it in its full form (Christpher Arthur Truemane) as a character name for innumerable short stories, novels, games, etc, over the years. If my Great Canadian Novel is ever published, you'll all know it was me who wrote it because one of the major support characters is named Chris Truemane.

I've even signed into hotels under that name. It drives my wife nuts when I do that because then she has to pretend 'Truemane' is her last name. Although, since people often pronounce it as though there's no 'e' (troo-man, like the President), I've seen her correct people on it a couple of times. Which is additionally entertaining.

ForzaFiori
2010-10-19, 08:04 AM
ForzaFiori is my actual nickname IRL, so yea, I'm kinda attached to it, and I will answer to Forza, Fiori, or Michael, because my friends have used the three interchangeably for the past 3 years.

Eldan
2010-10-19, 08:22 AM
Well, I looked it up a few months back and I was wrong too.
It's not French :smallsmile:

Of course it is... (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mauve):smallconfused:

Coidzor
2010-10-19, 08:25 AM
Fairly attached. I've had it for awhile.

Unfortunately that means there's far too much stuff I put out as a child attached to the name as well. :/

rakkoon
2010-10-19, 08:26 AM
Well
100 Most Often Mispronounced Words and Phrases in English (http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/mispron.html)
No: mawv | Yes: mauve

This word has not moved far enough away from French to assume an English pronunciation, [mawv], and should still be pronounced [mowv].

But really, as long as you can pronounce raccoon I'm happy

smellie_hippie
2010-10-19, 08:29 AM
I'm fairly close to my username.

At least the second half of it... :smallannoyed:

Haruki-kun
2010-10-19, 08:47 AM
People in school call me by this name. A lot of them do. Even one or two teachers.

And I'd be really annoyed if a playgrounder called me by my real name. Which is why I never tell anyone what it is. :smallsmile:

I also generally refuse to call playgrounders by their real names, even when I do know them.

shiram
2010-10-19, 08:53 AM
I've been using Shiram for well over 13 years now, maybe a bit more.
It's been with me since i first went on the net and created my first email.
All my characters in video game, if i can name them will get Shiram.
I've used it in rpg's as well.

But its only an alias.. no one calls me that.

Quincunx
2010-10-19, 08:56 AM
Not at all to the sound of it. Call me by one of the character names and you'll get my attention as filtered through that character (i.e. do not say "Tzim" and then ask for hyperactivity).

If we met online and afterward in real life, then yes I'm comfortable with using the online names to address and be addressed. If it's the other way around, then no, the online name is not to be used. That's been a constant. However, I'm still cagey about using the real life name over the 'net even after the RL meeting, and that's not a shared view. (:smallfurious:!)

Thufir
2010-10-19, 09:04 AM
A fair bit. Certainly I answer to it, especially in a context like a meetup. And I have occasionally found myself thinking of myself as 'Thufir' rather than my real name.

arguskos
2010-10-19, 09:04 AM
If you called me by "argus" in real life, I'd go "the hell do you want, and why do you know me by that?" You know, kinda like if you called me by my actual name. :smalltongue:

I also respond to Mutz (long, long, LONG story there) and to any variation on bloodydoves (my other handle).

Amiel
2010-10-19, 09:10 AM
And I'd be really annoyed if a playgrounder called me by my real name. Which is why I never tell anyone what it is. :smallsmile:

I also generally refuse to call playgrounders by their real names, even when I do know them.

Why's that may I ask?

I'm somewhat indifferent to my username; but I don't mind answering to it.

The Linker
2010-10-19, 09:21 AM
I think I'm pretty attached to my user name. Been using it at least eight years now, I think. I can't say how well I'd react to it in real life, because I've never met up with anyone from the internet and none of my friends call me that. Though, since I stuck 'Linker' into my Facebook name, that's all my Stepmother addresses me as in texts anymore. :smalltongue:

It's already confusing enough on our TF2 server, where MTG Player Zach is a frequenter, which is my real name. Everyone calls him Zach, and I'm all "What? What? How do you-- ooh."

The fact that I'm attached this name now is quite far from how I originally felt, just trying to think up whatever name that wasn't taken* to get into the Nintendo Nsider forums. "The... Link... er. Sure."

*Every day I thank whatever Dark Overlord of the Day that Pikalink and Linkachu were taken. I was twelve! D:

Very. Sometimes, when introducing myself, I almost call myself "Serpentine"...

Serpentine: "Hi there! I'm Ssssssss... um."

Stranger: "What are you, some kind of snake?"

Serpentine: ":eek: How did you know this."

Haruki-kun
2010-10-19, 09:33 AM
Why's that may I ask?

I tend to think about my online persona almost as a separate entity. This is a place where I can get away from real life.

That's one. Two, I was named after my father, and I don't really like that. I don't dislike it, no. But it's always "Oh, yes! You're X's son, aren't you? Why, some day you're going to be just like your father!"

No, I'm not. I'm an individual, thank you very much.

Haruki, on the other hand, is a name I picked myself.

Weimann
2010-10-19, 09:40 AM
My user name IS my name. Or rather, the last part of my last name. It's been my nick name for ages.

Dogmantra
2010-10-19, 09:42 AM
It's already confusing enough on our TF2 server, where MTG Player Zach is a frequenter, which is my real name. Everyone calls him Zach, and I'm all "What? What? How do you-- ooh."

We had a dude named "Nick" come on for a bit. That was weird. And I do the same thing in real life, except every time someone says "Dog" I think they're going to start talking to me, despite the fact no-one I've met in real life calls me "Dog".

Lord Blace
2010-10-19, 09:49 AM
Blace is the name of my first d&d character, and I think RHL and a few others called me by that when we first met. I don't mind, and I'll usually answer to it pretty swiftly... actually, more than my actual nickname which hasn't been in use for a long time. :smalltongue:

wxdruid
2010-10-19, 09:53 AM
I've gotten close to my username. :smallamused: Other playgrounders usually use one of my nicknames when I come to meetups, either Gwen or wxdruid. I respond to both and prefer them to use my username/nickname.

wxdruid is also on my license plate and other people at work occasionally call me wxdruid as well. :smallamused: I like wxdruid enough that I use it for other websites as well. I keep thinking that I should change my username here to Gwen the wxdruid, but, I think it would be too long.

valadil
2010-10-19, 09:59 AM
I'm bored of mine. I was quite fond of it for a while. Now I think it's a little over the top. Don't care enough to come up with a new one though.

The Linker
2010-10-19, 10:01 AM
wxdruid is also on my license plate and other people at work occasionally call me wxdruid as well. :smallamused:

Oh, I had forgotten, but my Dad has his old username as his license plate as well. 'Plinka', shortened from his original 'Plane Killa.' Now his family always refers to it as the Plinka. "You going to take the BMW?" "No, I'll take the Plinka."

Rather unfortunate it has another meaning as well. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=plinka)

I was L'il Plane Killa for a while, or Lilplinka. Gave that up eventually. He was sad.

We had a dude named "Nick" come on for a bit. That was weird. And I do the same thing in real life, except every time someone says "Dog" I think they're going to start talking to me, despite the fact no-one I've met in real life calls me "Dog".

Yo Dog, I heard your name was Nick so I got a guy named Nick so you can call 'Nick' while you're Nick.

ApeofLight
2010-10-19, 10:03 AM
I've become fairly attached to my username. Mainly because it's been in my email address and just about any other username type thing for like the last... *checks watch* six years now. I would probably respond to the name though no one calls me it in real life.

Violet Octopus
2010-10-19, 10:09 AM
I dislike my username. I usually go by another octopus-related username, but for some reason decided not to use that when I joined. Cue many hours of trying to think of a decent name, and not succeeding :smallannoyed:. It feels clunky.

I've used Viola or Violet as an alt name or character name at times, and I'm starting to get tired of that too.

Gullara
2010-10-19, 10:15 AM
I thing if someone were to use my username in the context of a name I would respond. Other than that no. I discuss video games a lot, so it's not uncommon for the term RPG to be used around me.

Dubious Pie
2010-10-19, 10:17 AM
I have used dubious.pie or Dubious Pie since I was 7 and got my first email address, When people say "dubious" I have to remind myself that it is a word. My real name is... awful. My main name is Nonpython, which is from a truncation of Nonpythonic. I use Nonpython in real life, everyone who knows me calls me "Nonpython" or "Nonpy".

Dogmantra
2010-10-19, 10:17 AM
Yo Dog, I heard your name was Nick so I got a guy named Nick so you can call 'Nick' while you're Nick.

This is officially the first "Yo dawg" I have ever found amusing. Congratulation, a winner is you.

Mauve Shirt
2010-10-19, 10:20 AM

Rhymes with "grove". Mispronounced as "mawv" all the time.

Terumitsu
2010-10-19, 10:25 AM
I'm quite attached to this username as it happens to be the name of my first successful role-play persona. Still use them today even. But yes, I suppose it's natural to grow fond of something that one has dedicated quite a bit of time and thought to. And yes, I will and have responded to my username as if it were my natural name.

The Linker
2010-10-19, 10:27 AM
This is officially the first "Yo dawg" I have ever found amusing. Congratulation, a winner is you.

If only it had been in L4D2, and I could have made a veritable mindscrew.

How does it feel when Rochelle and Ellis start yelling at Nick? :smallconfused:

Aidan305
2010-10-19, 10:31 AM
*Glances to the side of the screen*

Well, my username is my real name (give or take a couple of numbers), but I'm fairly attached to my other username of Munchkin. If people call me by it I'll generally respond and I tend to be annoyed when it's taken.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-19, 10:46 AM
I use username. I got on a shirt even. I've been called it in classes (I perfer it over first name).

banjo1985
2010-10-19, 10:49 AM
I'm pretty attached to my username, the Banjo part of it at least. I have been called it IRL, and sometimes catch myself thinking of myself by my username. At the meetup I attended I was almost always Banjo, and I can't say as I'm unhappy about that.

I kind of prefer Banjo to my real name, though it fits my silly online persona significantly better than my rather shy real self.

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 10:51 AM
I have a username??? :smallconfused:

Form
2010-10-19, 10:55 AM
Not at all. The name I've selected for these boards is very different from the name I usually use for internet activities and in real life people call me by my real name. Now that I think about it, very few people I know in RL know what my cybernickname is anyway.

Vero
2010-10-19, 10:58 AM
The username I use on here, I'm not attached to at all: I don't post here enough to feel like I have anything invested in it.

However elsewhere on the internet world I go by a different name, a name I love - as another poster said above, a name I chose. I've actually considered changing my name by deedpoll.

I answer to it if people use it in RL; I'm pretty confident about meeting online peeps offline once I've got to know them, and they tend to use by username, since it is actually a girl's name anyway.

I have even been known to have my head in the clouds while at work, and sign a work email with it. More than once. That does tend to confuse people, and didn't impress my boss much.

Zeofar
2010-10-19, 11:07 AM
Very. I've been using it pretty much everywhere since early 2005, so I've grown pretty attached. I don't think I've ever been directly addressed as "Zeofar" in real life, but that makes sense, since I don't really know anyone I know online in offline, so there you go. I don't think I'd be terribly uncomfortable if someone called me that, though, and I know a few people that would almost certainly call me this even if they knew my real name, on or offline.

Rae Artemi
2010-10-19, 12:23 PM
I like my name, and even though this is actually the first place I used it as a user name, I have become quite attached to it in the past year and eight months. So much so that when I hear someone say it, or the phonetically identical Ray, I look.

So yeah, I'm quite attached to my user name.

Eldritch Knight
2010-10-19, 12:31 PM
I am more closely related to my City of Heroes global name, Mentalshock.

Maybe it's because everyone shortens it to Mental, and that is very fitting to me, or maybe it is because I spend a lot of time in game.

Either way, I'd respond to EK or Mental just as much as I'd respond to my real name, or my title.

Raz_Fox
2010-10-19, 12:40 PM
I used to think not a lot. I like Raz, but I don't go by it in real life or anything. Then I found out that there was a guy who actually was named Razz at a leadership retreat earlier this month, and it drove me to near-insanity due to my perking up whenever someone called him by name aaarrrgh

Cleverdan22
2010-10-19, 12:43 PM
I've always used some variation of "Cleverdan" online, even though Dan isn't my name. I think its gotten to the point where I would respond, or at least grin to myself if I heard it called, though its taken many years to get to that point.

golentan
2010-10-19, 12:50 PM
I will occasionally slip and refer to myself as my username, so I'd say I'm pretty close to it.

EndlessWrath
2010-10-19, 01:00 PM
I've gotten accustomed to being called Wrath on a constant basis. Which is cool cause I respond to it.

Teddy
2010-10-19, 02:03 PM
I've grown quite fond of Teddy or Teddybear, which I've used different derivations of ever since I registrated on the LEGO site almost half of my lifetime ago, I guess. I'm not sure if I would respond to it, since it's only my little brother who uses it IRL, and then mostly only in a snarky way. I would, however, not mind if other people called my Teddy IRL, and I'd probably like it.

Savannah
2010-10-19, 02:15 PM
I've almost called myself by my username in real life....around my family who has no idea that it's my username. So far I've always caught myself in time.

I find it a lot weirder to be called by my real name by someone I met online than to be called by my username (in chat/PM, I'd probably respond equally well to both in person)....

Zevox
2010-10-19, 02:22 PM
Since I've used this name pretty much every time I've had to select a name for 'net use, I'd probably respond to it if someone addressed me by it IRL. But I'd be confused as hell if they did, since almost nobody I know IRL knows I use this name online, and those I do have only seen me use it a couple of times on another forum and on X-Box Live.

Zevox

Knaight
2010-10-19, 02:43 PM
I've been going with Smee since 1998.
Eve my college teachers would call me Smee.
If someone were to ask for my real name, few would know who they were talking about. But if they asked for Smee, everyone would point to me. :smallconfused:

I'm the same, I use Knaight as my nickname in real life, it even shows up on academic papers and such. Not formal essays or mathematics papers, but less important stuff. Admittedly, the change from Nathan to Knaight instead of the more conventional Nate was my idea, though a quick glance at the internet indicates that quite a few others have had it as well. That said, I'm considering a name change to TheCripple for this forum, for a slightly greater degree of anonymity.

Malfunctioned
2010-10-19, 03:09 PM
I pretty much respond to my real name, Malfunctioned, Mal, Malcolm, Moses, Tibbs and Mistah (emphasis on the 'tah') all the same. I tend to pick up a lot of nicknames so I've become used to it.

But Malfunctioned is pretty much my favourite username and nickname. Possibly Mistah may override it but I'm not too sure.

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-19, 03:14 PM
I am more closely related to my City of Heroes global name, Mentalshock.

Maybe it's because everyone shortens it to Mental, and that is very fitting to me, or maybe it is because I spend a lot of time in game.

Either way, I'd respond to EK or Mental just as much as I'd respond to my real name, or my title.

IT WAS YOU!! YOU STOLE MY FIRST CHOICE NAME!! MAY YOU BURN IN THE BOWELS OF HELL!!!

:smallfurious: Phew, got that out of my system :P Long live the Kobold-Bard!

C-Lam
2010-10-19, 03:20 PM
I'm pretty close to my username, but that may be because my real name starts with a C, and my last name is Lam so... I will most likely respond to that

Lycan 01
2010-10-19, 03:32 PM
Two people refer to me as Lycan in real life. An old friend of mine, and my girlfriend.

My friend calls my Lycan sometimes because we used to play Runescape together eons ago, and Lycan 01 was originally my RS name. So every now and then he'll inadvertently refer to me as Lycan.

My girlfriend calls me Lycan because... I don't know, actually. She knows its my favorite screen name, and I use it for all my video game characters and profiles, too. She just uses it sometimes as a cutesy sort of nickname to coincide with her own nickname, Kitsune.

I like Lycan, though. Its a bit cooler than my real name... So if somebody called me Lycan in a conversation, I wouldn't correct them. :smalltongue:

blackfox
2010-10-19, 03:34 PM
Real name not at all related to username.
I will pay attention IRL if someone says BlackFox, but usually prefer that I be called by my real name IRL and my screennames online.

Mystic Muse
2010-10-19, 03:44 PM
Not really. If I hear Kyuubi I'd assume they're talking about Naruto or something else.

Now, if somebody said "Theburningfields" "Zernobog" or "Demonking888" Yeah, I'd definitely turn my head.

Orzel
2010-10-19, 04:59 PM
Not this one so much since this is the only place I use it and talk. My other ones would get a turned head.

If you said "Orzel, you hungry?"
I will answer "Yes"

Concrete
2010-10-19, 05:02 PM
I would never be able to get a job in construction...

RabbitHoleLost
2010-10-19, 05:07 PM
Funny thing is that now, I'm quite interested in facts about raccoons while before I didn't really care.
Since the word raccoon contains my real name I would react anyhow :smallsmile:

Same, but with Rabbits as opposed to Raccoons.

At meetups, I'm typically called Rabbit or "The Rabbit".
Very rarely, RabbitHoleLost, unless someone is making (and trust me, its happened) a bad joke about how I am no longer lost :smalltongue:

In real life, though, some of my friends call me Rabbit to tease me. Especially since they see Playgrounders call me so on mah Facebook.

As for other Playgrounders, I think I only call three of them by their actual names. One because it IS her name, kinda. Another because he's a lurker and I met him with his real name. The last because I'm dating him :smalltongue:
And I guess I also alternate SMEE's username with her actual name, depending on what I feel like at the time.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-10-19, 05:20 PM
This is literally the only forum I'm a member of on the internet, and for whatever reason my forum name and my real name have now become interchangeable to me. I'll answer to my real name and most of my nicknames here.
Best Friend started calling me "Curly Girly" or "Koorly lass" in real life after I told her about this place; and now it's spread pretty far.
I even caught my parents calling me Koorly once. That was weird, but I think they did it on purpose so it doesn't count.

I often catch myself saying, "Come on Koorly girly," in real life as well. Probably because when I was first a poster here I was very very introverted in real life, and Curly was more outgoing and courageous.
So once I started becoming more self-confident I started ioking that Koorly was the real me.
She isn't of course, we're exactly the same; but hey, it helps when I'm facing something pretty damn'd tough.

Anuan
2010-10-19, 05:31 PM
My username is my real name. It's the name that my parents gave me that's the moniker.

Seffbasilisk
2010-10-19, 05:36 PM
My grandma calls me "Seff" now.

It started as a nickname back in the day, back when Yo was popular, and substitute teachers incapable of reading comprehension.

Basilisk was before the horrible Rowling woman degraded the beast.

So...very? I'm the only Seffbasilisk out there. I kinda like that.

I have a username??? :smallconfused:

*GLOMP!*

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-10-19, 05:40 PM
If you call out "Gwyn" I will respond.

Every time I take the streetcar to school, there's a stop at Gwynne Street, which confuses the hell outta me. :smalleek:

Lord Raziere
2010-10-19, 05:57 PM
Well people its nigh impossible for people to refer to me as "Raziere" or as "Lord" so if anyone actually did call me that in real life I'd be so surprised I'd react to it instantly because I'd be like "How in the WORLD did you know that!? I made the name up!"

KenderWizard
2010-10-19, 06:03 PM
I like being KenderWizard or Kender. If someone says "Kender" I react, more because I'm playing a kender in a longrunning campaign, and most of the other characters (not the players, the characters) refer to her as "the kender". I met a bunch of Playgrounders at GenCon and I liked being KenderWizard there.

I know that thing about choosing a name. I'm in the process of legally changing my name because I really didn't like how my old name sounded. All my friends and some of my family now call me by a different name, one I like much better!

DSCrankshaw
2010-10-19, 06:07 PM
Since I use my actual name (or parts thereof) for my username, it'd be weird for me not to answer to it.

Anonymity? What anonymity?

Lhurgyof
2010-10-19, 06:08 PM
I was thinking the other day, And I realized that I have come to treat my username just like my name. If someone called druid91 when I walked by I'd probably answer.Admittedly, I'd be more than a little confused as to why someone is calling me that. But I'd still probably answer, or at least turn to look.
That got me to wondering. Does anyone else act this way about there username? Or does everyone act this way?

Yes, indeed. But I have quite a unique username.

Jessicat
2010-10-19, 06:08 PM
My name and my nickname are more or less the same. If someone calls me "Jessy" IRL either way you'd be right. There are people that call me "Jessicat" IRL, and they have done so since I was as young as 11. It's a long-standing nickname that I now use on teh intarwebs.

vollmond
2010-10-19, 06:16 PM
I'd answer to "Lioness" in real life, so feel free to try it if you think you see me ^^

That sounds like an excellent way to get hurt :smallbiggrin:

I was actually thinking about this just a couple of days ago, and I realized my wife is the only person I speak to with any regularity who uses my real name (Sam). With my IRL friends, I am vollmond (though I can't get them to pronounce it the German way with an 'f' sound :smallmad:), and at work and on XBox Live I'm Pete.

Thufir
2010-10-19, 06:24 PM
Basilisk was before the horrible Rowling woman degraded the beast.

As a Harry Potter reader I resent this statement. Especially since the basilisk in Chamber of Secrets was just as traditional mythological basilisks IIRC.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-19, 06:28 PM
Nobody calls me 'Admiral Squish', but I would definitely answer to Squish or Squishy.

Mystic Muse
2010-10-19, 06:31 PM
Nobody calls me 'Admiral Squish', but I would definitely answer to Squish or Squishy.

:Dory:"I shall name him squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my squishy"

Blue Ghost
2010-10-19, 06:35 PM
Blue would be a nice nickname to have in real life. If someone called me it, I'd answer.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-19, 06:36 PM
:Dory:"I shall name him squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my squishy"

I HAD IT FIRST, DAMMIT! :smallfurious:

No, I totally love that movie. But I DID have it first. I think it was intended to be something like 'major pain' but sillier. Hence, admiral squish. Well, capitan squish at first. I got banned as Capitan Squish on another forum, so I just upgraded.

Ranger Mattos
2010-10-19, 06:39 PM
I'm close to the name Mattos, the Ranger part of my username not so much.

It's because my cousin calls me that most of the time instead of my real name. I also call him Christo or Christozer.

tyckspoon
2010-10-19, 06:41 PM
I've been using the same handle for more than a decade. If you see anything done by a Tyckspoon, there's better than 90% odds it was mine. So.. yeah, I identify with my nick pretty strongly. I'll respond to Tyck, Spoon, or the full thing as readily as my real name (sometimes more, because my proper name is not especially uncommon.) But not "tike/tyke", because that's a completely different word.

Savannah
2010-10-19, 06:55 PM
I'm close to the name Mattos, the Ranger part of my username not so much.

I still can't get over your name change. You'll always be Lord Mattos in my mind :smallredface:

Ranger Mattos
2010-10-19, 06:59 PM
I still can't get over your name change. You'll always be Lord Mattos in my mind :smallredface:

Look at that. Someone remembers all those 2 months ago when I was still Lord Mattos. :smallbiggrin:

Elder Tsofu
2010-10-19, 07:00 PM
I'm pretty attached to mine (had it since late '06 when I began my adventures on the internet) - and would answer to it in RL.
I have three variants which I answer to: the full and the parts.

Although it would be a bit embarrassing to be called Elder in RL. (even though it is fitting as almost everyone think that I'm older than my bare 22 years)

I have two "second" tier names I would answer to, although one is really usual (and would probably need repetition) and the other is a woman's name...

Marnath
2010-10-19, 07:15 PM
I used to respond to my username back in Dungeons and Dragons online, but thats because I could speak to my guild mates over ventrilo, and no one used their real name. Although it usually got shortened to marn, both because it's easier and because they got sick of hearing "It's pronounced marr-noth, not marn-ath! :smallfurious:", hehe. :smalltongue:

I've also gone by Namhias, In World of Warcraft back when I played. (Nah-my-ess, not namy- has!)

vollmond
2010-10-19, 07:35 PM
Look at that. Someone remembers all those 2 months ago when I was still Lord Mattos. :smallbiggrin:

Ha, you had me really confused. I was thinking Mattos was a pop-culture reference that two Playgrounders had used - obviously I didn't bother to read your sig :smallsmile:

Skeppio
2010-10-19, 07:37 PM
Ha, you had me really confused. I was thinking Mattos was a pop-culture reference that two Playgrounders had used - obviously I didn't bother to read your sig :smallsmile:

See, this is why I'm always Skeppio. :smalltongue:

Ranger Mattos
2010-10-19, 07:41 PM

:smalltongue:

I was originally going to change my name to Lord Mattos the Ranger, but that was too long. Also, what would make you think that?

vollmond
2010-10-19, 07:47 PM
Also, what would make you think that?

Just that I saw (supposedly) two Playgrounders both named "Mattos," which is a name I hadn't seen before I saw you here.

EmeraldRose
2010-10-19, 07:59 PM
I'm pretty attached to mine. I don't think I'd answer to it in real life, and unless it's the shortened form (ER) I'm not likely to heaer it much. However, since I work in healthcare, I actually do hear the shortened for quite a bit, though not in a gaming manner.

It's also very easy for me to refer to my husband as Andre on here, and to other playgrounders, but I do not think of him in real life as Andre. It'd probably drive me nuts if he actually acted like his character...

I will admit to frequently referring to other Playgrounders by their usernames, simply because I knew so many of them by those names first, then learned real names upon meeting them.

Plus some of them just really fit...like Goof. Or Trog. Or Zeb...:smallbiggrin:

Partof1
2010-10-19, 08:00 PM
It seems odd, but i likely would respond. when I read "part of" in pretty well any text, it's like it's bolded to me. I believe I unconsciously bold "part of" myself when writing. I have yet to run across "part of 1" or "part of 1", however.

The Glyphstone
2010-10-19, 08:01 PM
Since I use the same username on every internet community I frequent, being called by it in real life would definitely get my attention. In the "I know kung fu, get away from me you freakish stalker" way, but attention is attention.

Gortog, SRU
2010-10-19, 08:07 PM
I came up once with an over-the-top stereotypical villain, trying to out-do everyone else in my drama class one day a couple of years ago. I knew his personality in my heart right away, fueled by all of the bad parts of me, like my greed, anger, and that part of me that hates other people. I used to have a problem with interacting with people, but I put all of these bad traits into this villain, making them more and more evil (though also giving him a slight set of honors to round him out), eventually getting him to the point where he is now. All that was left was a name, which came to me one day when I started typing gibberish on the computer I knew it was perfect: GORTOG, SUPREME RULER OF THE UNDERWORLD!
\ /
o.o
\_/

Haruki-kun
2010-10-19, 09:04 PM
You know, a couple of weeks ago a teacher asked me my name. Or rather, after reading my name on the list, she asked "What do they call you?"

I replied. "My name is Haruki, but the government calls me [Name]."

doliest
2010-10-19, 09:13 PM
I respond when people call me 'Doliest' in real life. I'd prefer it, though I don't give it to Professors...yet. :smallwink:

Skeppio
2010-10-19, 09:14 PM
You know, a couple of weeks ago a teacher asked me my name. Or rather, after reading my name on the list, she asked "What do they call you?"

I replied. "My name is Haruki, but the government calls me [Name]."

Now that's just bloody awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Shas aia Toriia
2010-10-19, 09:32 PM
Eh, a few friends have called me Shas before, but mostly in a "lol i am taking liek t3h interwebz nao!" kind of way. So yeah, I would and have responded.

Gullara
2010-10-19, 09:39 PM

No, that is the very definition of awesome.

cdstephens
2010-10-19, 09:43 PM
My username is practically my name, so pretty close.

Anuan
2010-10-19, 09:47 PM
My name and my nickname are more or less the same. If someone calls me "Jessy" IRL either way you'd be right. There are people that call me "Jessicat" IRL, and they have done so since I was as young as 11. It's a long-standing nickname that I now use on teh intarwebs.

My ex-girlfriend's nickname was Jessicat. When I first saw you around on here I was super-surprised. Then I saw you're from Toronto :smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-10-19, 09:48 PM
My ex-girlfriend's nickname was Jessicat. When I first saw you around on here I was super-surprised. Then I saw you're from Toronto :smalltongue:

That... would be quite strange, yes. I, on the other hand, did things the other way around. "She's in toronto! Who do I know named Jesse that might be on this forum..."

Haruki-kun
2010-10-19, 09:49 PM
No, that is the very definition of awesome.

*takes a bow*

Thank you very much. :smallredface::smalltongue:

Skeppio
2010-10-19, 09:51 PM
*takes a bow*

Thank you very much. :smallredface::smalltongue:

Dude, if I ever end up with an artificial arm, I'm having my name changed to Skeppio. All I'd need then is to learn summoning magic and the transformation will be complete. :smalltongue:

Erloas
2010-10-19, 10:19 PM
I've been using this username for about 8 years now. I'm the only one as far as I'm aware, and I've became fairly attached to it. I would probably answer to it, but the only time its came up is meeting a couple people from Dark Age of Camelot (where I first started using the name... from a random name generator). The thing about this name though is that it really wasn't designed to be pronounced. It wasn't really a consideration when I picked it out then, voice chat was fairly uncommon at the time. Hearing people try to pronounce it now in some games just never seems right.

I would expect more people to use the common shortening of Erl (at least common in the days of typing out messages in MMOs instead of voice chat), which I would pronounce Earl.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-19, 11:32 PM
I am very much my username.

I've been 'Moreta' since July 2001, when I joined my first forum. I tacked 'Lady' onto it probably around 2003/4 when the forum burned down, and we had to start again. Don't know why, just felt like being formal (or more important :smalltongue:).

I would, and have responded to my username before. There are a couple of people living here who also belong to the other forum I frequent, and they both consistently call me by my username. Actually, they call me the shortened form of it that the other forum invented, but I'm not going to tell you what it is, because I don't want it to be catching :smalltongue:

If someone called me that now, I'd absolutely respond to it - I would probably also start thinking "which forum do I know you off, and what username are you?" because no one in real life actually uses it (and those who do are people I know online anyway). I do plan on going to a meetup next year, when I do, I will happily respond to Moreta, my real name, or any of the variations I seem to have been given here as well :smallsmile:

Heliomance
2010-10-20, 06:26 AM
No-one calls me Heliomance in real life, but I've been using it long enough that I'd probably respond.
I do have RL friends that call me Helio on MSN, though. Or sometimes Helium (short for helium ants - they misheard when I first told them my user!)

randman22222
2010-10-20, 06:34 AM
I have almost no connection with this username. Erm. I guess that's kinda natural, since it's a pseudo-random string of letters followed by twos.

...I wish my ten-year-old-self had more creativity, since I haven't gotten around to creating a new username that I stick with.

If someone called me by even 'randman' in real life, I'd be unsettled. Greatly.

Level8Mudcrab
2010-10-20, 07:26 AM
I'll usually use ethier this username or Scylla Serrata for most online things. I haven't really had anyone refer to me by my username in RL much, but I will respond to it.

Jokasti
2010-10-20, 07:36 AM
I pretty much only use this now. When I wad a lad of 7-8 I found the Internet, and Neopets. I used to be dragonsorceror101.
Yeah.
Now I go by Jokasti. It was my first DnD character, my first WoW character, my first everything. And here, I guess. I'm not on too many other forums.
I like it better than dragonsorceror101.

If someone called me that in real life, I'd be like "Uh, hey. How do you know my handle?". But nobody calls me anything besides my nickname. Which is derived from my birth name.

randman22222
2010-10-20, 08:16 AM
I'll usually use ethier this username or Scylla Serrata for most online things. I haven't really had anyone refer to me by my username in RL much, but I will respond to it.

Level 8 Mudcrab?

...Does that mean you can talk, and barter? :smalltongue: *Wonders if the name is, in fact, a reference.*

RabbitHoleLost
2010-10-20, 08:24 AM
I have almost no connection with this username. Erm. I guess that's kinda natural, since it's a pseudo-random string of letters followed by twos.

...I wish my ten-year-old-self had more creativity, since I haven't gotten around to creating a new username that I stick with.

If someone called me by even 'randman' in real life, I'd be unsettled. Greatly.

Crap, I completely forgot you in my list of Playgrounder's I call by their real name.
'cause, lets face it, your real name is super cool

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-20, 08:31 AM
Well, I have recently started to think of myself as Dusk (I treat eclipse more as a surname :smalltongue:) but none of my (close) RL friends refer to me as Dusk, they prefet to use RL nickname even if they know my username (though a friend of mine was convinced my e-mail was duskeclipse@hotmail.... I had to humour him and made a gmail account exactly like that:smalltongue:).

OTHO people from my gaming group do refer to me as Dusk, but that is because we use another forum to organise ourselfs, and we are used to refer as our Usernames, eventhough we know each other real names (well almost...)

Serpentine
2010-10-20, 08:42 AM
Who do I know named Jesse that might be on this forum...":smallannoyed:
She is obviously not a Jesse. You can tell by the "female" and the "i" :smallannoyed:
*recently had another person get my name wrong - AND got a touch snippy when I corrected her!*

Eldritch Knight
2010-10-20, 10:13 AM
IT WAS YOU!! YOU STOLE MY FIRST CHOICE NAME!! MAY YOU BURN IN THE BOWELS OF HELL!!!

:smallfurious: Phew, got that out of my system :P Long live the Kobold-Bard!

Try a different server. :p

Ashen Lilies
2010-10-20, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I'd answer to 'Kris' if someone called me that in real life.
:tongue:
Someone calling me 'Kid Kris' would probably get a strange look though.

Cealocanth
2010-10-20, 10:59 AM
This is my username almost everywhere so at this point I'd probably answer to Ceal or Cealocanth.

I'd prefer if they used my real name though.

Snares
2010-10-20, 01:50 PM
Not very close to this one, 'cos I only use it here. If I heard someone say 'Snares' in real life, I'd still have a look round though, if only because they're either talking about drums or Venetian Snares. And either way I'd be interested in that.

I have an older username which I used for absolutely everything, but that username has gone through some questionable times. >.> I've been called that one in real life, and it unsettled the hell out of me. Generally, things crossing over between the internet and real life weird me out. I still feel odd calling the people I know here by their GITP names.

thorgrim29
2010-10-20, 02:53 PM
It's my handle on xbox live, steam, and starcraft too so yeah, i guess I am pretty used to respond to it, actually I'm probably known as thorgrim by as much people as know me as, well, me.

Marnath
2010-10-20, 04:57 PM
:smallannoyed:
She is obviously not a Jesse. You can tell by the "female" and the "i" :smallannoyed:
*recently had another person get my name wrong - AND got a touch snippy when I corrected her!*

I used to know a girl who spelled her name Jesse. :smallconfused:

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-20, 05:12 PM
Fairly close, as I am Katana_Geldar everywhere and people actually call me Katana, like my boyfriend as I first met him online and he still calls me Katana.

The Linker
2010-10-20, 05:19 PM
Man, who wouldn't? That is a completely bad ass nickname to call someone by, I think. :smallbiggrin:

CWater
2010-10-20, 05:30 PM
I've grown quite attached to my user name, even though it's not even one year old:smalltongue: But no one would call me by it in RL, besides, only my best friend knows it anyway. And since it is also a word I don't pay any particular attention to it. I wouldn't mind being called by it though..

ScottishDragon
2010-10-20, 05:34 PM
Well I for one am sort of close to my username. No one in rl calls me that,I mean,would YOU want to be called scottishdragon in public?When all possible I shorten it to Dragon.But that is always taken so I end up with ScottishDragon.I would respawn to it in public,but would be very confused.retty much I only respond to it on xbox live.

Drakevarg
2010-10-20, 05:44 PM
Unfortunately. :smallsigh: I picked this name up around 2003 and haven't been able to shake it. I tried to switch to "Drakevarg," but so far it hasn't stuck. It's gotten to the point that I would answer to Psycho in conversation without giving it a moment's pause.

Marnath
2010-10-20, 06:11 PM
Unfortunately. :smallsigh: I picked this name up around 2003 and haven't been able to shake it. I tried to switch to "Drakevarg," but so far it hasn't stuck. It's gotten to the point that I would answer to Psycho in conversation without giving it a moment's pause.

I don't know, you might give pause, since the most likely instance of being called psycho would probably be as part of an insult/accusation, which I assume you'd respond to negatively. :smalltongue:
It is after all, a fairly common word first and your username second.

Cristo Meyers
2010-10-20, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I'd answer to 'Kris' if someone called me that in real life.
:tongue:
Someone calling me 'Kid Kris' would probably get a strange look though.

Most people, save family, actually do call me Cris...

Lady Moreta
2010-10-20, 08:41 PM
Or sometimes Helium (short for helium ants - they misheard when I first told them my user!)

That just reminds me of the time my best friend's younger brother asked me if anthropologists study ants :smallsigh:

No. No they don't...

I don't know, you might give pause, since the most likely instance of being called psycho would probably be as part of an insult/accusation, which I assume you'd respond to negatively. :smalltongue:
It is after all, a fairly common word first and your username second.

Not necessarily. It depends on how he associates the word in his head. If it's first and foremost associated with the forums and his username, then he probably wouldn't assume someone was being insulting.

Crimmy
2010-10-20, 09:18 PM
Only the internetlings (twitter, forumites, and people from Campus Party) call me either Crimmy or Crimmynal.

I know that, when somebody calls me Crimmy or Crimmynal, he or she knows me better from the interwebs, and if I get called Quino (no, not the cartoonist) I know it's one of those tech-impaired people I went to school with.

Shyftir
2010-10-20, 09:35 PM
My user name is my fighting name in Belegarth so I'm very used to hearing it tossed out as my actual name, though most shorten it to just Shyft anymore.

My main on wow, was Martellei, known as Telly, and I totally respond to Telly now.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-10-20, 10:04 PM
Pretty attached. I've had it for quite some time, now, and it's pretty unique. I'd probably at least look up if someone shouted "Fuzzie Fuzz" or "Fuzzie" or even "Fuzz." If someone referred to me as that while talking to me, I'd respond and know what they were talking about, but I'd be pretty confused. I prefer my real name.

Serpentine
2010-10-21, 12:25 AM
I used to know a girl who spelled her name Jesse. :smallconfused:Honest and true? Cuz that's pretty weird, what with Jesse being a boy's name.
Nontheless, Jessicat still uses the "i", and there are far more Jessie/Jessicas with "i" than female Jesses.

Drakevarg
2010-10-21, 03:37 AM
Cuz that's pretty weird, what with Jesse being a boy's name.

"Jayne is a girl's name..." :smallamused:

"Yeah well Jayne ain't a girl!" :smallfurious:

Dogmantra
2010-10-21, 05:42 AM
Honest and true? Cuz that's pretty weird, what with Jesse being a boy's name.

Not as weird as Madison. Just, y'know, in general.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-21, 05:51 AM
Pretty close. I wouldn't mind being called it in real life, although I have like half a dozen nicknames in RL so the addition of any more wouldn't be bad in my book. I'm trying to collect them.

Setra
2010-10-21, 12:26 PM
My Dad put "Setra" on my birthday cake.

HalfTangible
2010-10-21, 12:29 PM
HalfTangible is a relatively new username for me, so no, i'm not at all attached to it. I did, however, find myself thinking once:

"Come on, <old username> you useless lump of- wait what?"

Marnath
2010-10-21, 12:36 PM
"Jayne is a girl's name..." :smallamused:

"Yeah well Jayne ain't a girl!" :smallfurious:

Exactly. There's almost 7 billion people on this planet, it's not so hard to imagine that there could be people with odd or ill-fitting names, right Serp?

Haruki-kun
2010-10-21, 01:20 PM

That is awesome. I wish someone did that for me...

Dvil
2010-10-21, 01:48 PM
Oh, I love my username. I've also got a nickname very similar to it, so I'd probably respond to it IRRL (funnily enough though, the nickname came after, and for a completely unrelated reason).

I've also called friends by their usernames IRL before, which can get a bit odd.

The Linker
2010-10-21, 02:03 PM

That gets an 'Awwwwwww' from me.

Serpentine
2010-10-21, 09:48 PM
Exactly. There's almost 7 billion people on this planet, it's not so hard to imagine that there could be people with odd or ill-fitting names, right Serp?Of course not, and if Jessicat really is a Jesse she's more than welcome to come tell me so. But it is really, really unlikely.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-10-21, 09:53 PM
:smallannoyed:

Uh, I was thinking of a specific Jesse. A girl. Who I know. Jesse isn't just a boy's name anymore. No offence meant. The only Jesse's I know have been spelled Jesse, or went by Jessica, so it didn't matter anyways.

Lhurgyof
2010-10-21, 09:57 PM
I've used this since my first online nick a long time ago in WoW.

It's stuck with me (Even though it's misspelled, it's based on Lhurgoyf, a magic: the gathering card), and it's a good conversation starter. Even though most people just call me Lhurg, L, Lhurgy Lhugy, Lhurgoff, etc.

zenanarchist
2010-10-21, 09:59 PM
To answer the OP (since I've just seen this thread)

I love my username, but wouldn't answer to it.

However Zen Anarchy will be the title of my book. So Zen Anarchist is more of a station than a title to me.

(You've been threadbombed!)

Serpentine
2010-10-21, 09:59 PM
Uh, I was thinking of a specific Jesse. A girl. Who I know. Jesse isn't just a boy's name anymore. No offence meant. The only Jesse's I know have been spelled Jesse, or went by Jessica, so it didn't matter anyways.Rrrrrrmm... Alright. I'll forgive you.
Wait, female Jesses? You're positive you've got the spelling right?

Marnath
2010-10-21, 10:00 PM

Didn't we just cover that that happens sometimes?
:smallconfused:

Crimmy
2010-10-21, 10:03 PM
Rrrrrrmm... Alright. I'll forgive you.

I don't know about those Jesses...
But "Jesse's girl" is a nice song...

The only name that's kinda like Jesse for a girl is Ian McConville's wife, Jessica (he calls her Jes on the comics).

But it's not the same.

Serpentine
2010-10-21, 10:04 PM
No, we covered that it might, conceivably, with all the stupid names flying around, happen, and apparently has once.
If this is plural female Jesses... Then I am worried.

Crimmy: Jessie is a girl's name. I should know.

Marnath
2010-10-21, 10:10 PM
I used to know a girl who spelled her name Jesse. :smallconfused:

Uh, I was thinking of a specific Jesse. A girl. Who I know. Jesse isn't just a boy's name anymore. No offence meant. The only Jesse's I know have been spelled Jesse, or went by Jessica, so it didn't matter anyways.

No, we covered that it might, conceivably, with all the stupid names flying around, happen, and apparently has once.
If this is plural female Jesses... Then I am worried.

Crimmy: Jessie is a girl's name. I should know.

There's no "might" about it. We both have known girls who spelled it that way.

Cealocanth
2010-10-21, 10:13 PM
This thread has given me an idea.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get my brother's attention by calling out "Hey Sticktheif!" It'd be really interesting to see if he responds.

Lioness
2010-10-21, 10:21 PM
This thread has given me an idea.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get my brother's attention by calling out "Hey Sticktheif!" It'd be really interesting to see if he responds.

Skep...Rowsen?

Care to try this too?

Serpentine
2010-10-21, 10:37 PM
There's no "might" about it. We both have known girls who spelled it that way.Where, and how old? Because this is bizarre. It's like calling a guy Elizabeth.

Skeppio
2010-10-21, 10:37 PM
Skep...Rowsen?

Care to try this too?

I call him Rowsen sometimes already. :smallbiggrin: And Rowsen, Mezerian and myself often refer to each other by our usernames.

Jokasti
2010-10-21, 10:43 PM
Where, and how old? Because this is bizarre. It's like calling a guy Elizabeth.
More like calling a guy Michael.
I've known Michaels and Jesses of both genders.

Marnath
2010-10-21, 10:47 PM
Where, and how old? Because this is bizarre. It's like calling a guy Elizabeth.

1)where I live... 2) what does her age have to do with anything at all? 3) no it's not, because Jesse or jessie or whatever is a name for either gender, elizabeth is not.

Serpentine
2010-10-21, 10:50 PM
More like calling a guy Michael.
I've known Michaels and Jesses of both genders.Whut.
You're positive you don't mean Michelle and alternate spellings?

1)where I live... 2) what does her age have to do with anything at all? 3) no it's not, because Jesse or jessie or whatever is a name for either gender, elizabeth is not.1. That really isn't helpful at all. I'm trying to figure out if it's a regional thing.
2. Because name trends change over time, and I'm trying to work out when this trend started/occurred.
3. Jessie is the feminine of Jesse, the masculine. If this has changed, it is a recent occurance - recent enough at the very least that it hasn't seeped into name dictionaries (or at least hadn't the last time I looked up my own name).

Marnath
2010-10-21, 10:56 PM
I'm American. Not that it's really any business of yours. You seem to me like you're trying to find a reason to prove I'm mistaken about this, but I'm not.

Serpentine
2010-10-21, 11:01 PM
Seriously? I find this very weird, and, knowing that name trends vary through time and from region to region, am trying to figure out just how new and/or geographically distant from me it is. That's it. So now I have some evidence that it's a US thing, although I have no data as to the timing, which would be nice to have.
I was actually going to come back and tell you that a review of name meaning websites has revealed far more gender flexibility for the name Jesse than I thought, although the use of Jesse for females (http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_of_Jesse.html) is still far more rare than Jessie for males (http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_of_Jessie.html) (which apparently has overtaken the feminine in recent years). AKA, you're right and I'm wrong. Which I was going to admit gladly, but now am rather more reluctant to concede...

Please do not confuse attempts to clarify or seek more information for antagonism.

Marnath
2010-10-21, 11:03 PM
I apologise then, if I misunderstood your intent. Yeah, not gonna argue that it's probably a great deal more popular for guys. But still... :smalltongue:

Jokasti
2010-10-21, 11:06 PM
Whut.
You're positive you don't mean Michelle and alternate spellings?

Yep. At least three, of both. More for males, but a few females.

Serpentine
2010-10-21, 11:10 PM
Whut.

I suppose, given my views on gender and genderedness, this is a good thing :smallsigh:

Marnath
2010-10-21, 11:11 PM
We're pretty off topic here. I sent you a PM, if you want to talk more about it or something serp. :smalltongue:

zenanarchist
2010-10-21, 11:14 PM
Serp,

I live in Aussie same as you, I've known Jessie both make and female, as well as Jesse both male and female. It's not a regional thing :smalltongue: Also, I failed at thread bombing. Sad face.

Lord_Gareth
2010-10-21, 11:15 PM
Lord_Gareth is actually the most outdated of my usernames, but my head whips around like you wouldn't believe whenever someone says "Knives".

Marnath
2010-10-21, 11:18 PM
Lord_Gareth is actually the most outdated of my usernames, but my head whips around like you wouldn't believe whenever someone says "Knives".

You must get whiplash a lot. That's a pretty common word.:smallsmile:

SilentNight
2010-10-21, 11:22 PM
I like my user name, but I've started using others. My ears would probably perk up at someone calling me "Silent Night" or "Silent" but I don't think I'd actually answer. That said I do love it.

Lord_Gareth
2010-10-22, 02:06 AM
You must get whiplash a lot. That's a pretty common word.:smallsmile:

My neck muscles know agony beyond the comprehension of a cognitive engine as feeble as the human brain.

Vaynor
2010-10-22, 02:11 AM
I'm not sure I'd want to be referred to as Vaynor in real life, but if someone said it I'd probably at least turn to see if they were talking to me. I use it for a lot of things other than the forum, and have for a while now (*points to join date*), so I'm pretty used to the name in general.

Coincidentally, it was the name of my first D&D character, a gnome druid.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-22, 02:30 AM
I call him Rowsen sometimes already. :smallbiggrin: And Rowsen, Mezerian and myself often refer to each other by our usernames.

I do that with Peregrine sometimes. And he does with me, although we both generally do it as a joke. I wouldn't call him that if I was being serious.

I might if I was trying to get his attention and calling his real name wasn't working. Might be interesting to see if he responds to it :smallbiggrin:

My neck muscles know agony beyond the comprehension of a cognitive engine as feeble as the human brain.

Poor dear :smalltongue:

Roc Ness
2010-10-22, 02:36 AM
Yup. Noone I know calls me Roc Ness, but I jump when people say things that sound similar. Happens often enough. I think my hearing needs checking.

Dada
2010-10-22, 05:40 AM
Dada is what I go by in real life, so, yeah.. Everyone but my family calls me that.

I also use Wheely and Valhel online (stupid 'username must be longer that 4 characters'), but I would probably respond to those as well.

Teddy
2010-10-22, 05:53 AM
My ears would probably perk up at someone calling me "Silent Night" or "Silent" but I don't think I'd actually answer.

No, you would remain Silent. :smalltongue:

Asthix
2010-10-22, 06:23 AM
Asthix is a word I thought I made up back in the day, but a websearch a few years ago led me to believe that it is actually a Scottish part of speech. Strangely I can't seem to find reference to that anymore. Current websearch shows someone from the Netherlands with that name on youtube and someone from Canada with it on eBay. I claim all credit. :smallwink:

Full disclosure: I actually made it up shortly after Final Fantasy VII was released as a name for the big red cat. (Red VIII seemed so emotionless)

Fun fact: The question I'm most asked about my username is if I am a fat person.

As for how attached I am to it, The reason I use it as a username is solely because I think the letters look cool next to each other. Its a purely visual personal meme designed to cheer me up. :smallcool:

Popular thread.

Ranger Mattos
2010-10-22, 07:00 AM
I just discovered that 'Mattos' is the name of a town in California. I didn't know this at all before yesterday.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-10-22, 05:13 PM
This is the only Forum I use Grlumptheelder on

My other username I am very attatched to - I've been using it for a LOOOOOONG time...

ghost_warlock
2010-10-22, 05:39 PM
I was being called 'warlock' in real life long before it became a username; essentially half the origin of the username, in fact.

It still gets my attention if I hear someone say 'warlock.' These days, however, I'd probably be more likely to actually respond to 'ghost' or 'uncle ghost.' :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2010-10-22, 06:57 PM
People call me Chumley IRL once in a while. I wish they'd do it more, I hate my birth name. :smallyuk:

LightsOnNo1Home
2010-10-22, 07:35 PM
Quite attached yeah. I've been using it various places for a while, and it's my xbox live gamertag, and PSN ID (though spelt LitesOnNo1Home, on PSN), but yeah I would, and do answer to it (generally shortened to Lights, or Lights Out if someone thinks they are a comedian) it would be kind of odd to be called it IRL though, but It wouldn't bother me as such. Compared to some of the handles I've been saddled with over the years, it wouldn't be to bad.

Kuma Da
2010-10-22, 07:39 PM
I'm pretty close to both my playground name and my ficpress handle. It's probably 'cause I tried to make them deliberately totemic, though. :smallsmile:

Trobby
2010-10-24, 10:18 AM
So, let's be honest here...

How many of you who haven't seen my Facebook Account know my first name anyway? :smalltongue:

I guess you could say I'm pretty attached to the name Introbulus. I've been using it for nigh on 10 years now, and pretty much everything I've done online has been under that name.

I like it, because there's no one else on the entire web who uses that name, and it doesn't have a single number or silly character attached. :smalltongue:

Of course, this is also a name that is not exactly "common" in RL, so I've never really run into a situation where I'm like "Oh, is someone talking about ME when they say Introbulus"?

Though...very occasionally someone will say something about an "Intro" and I will automatically turn my head in their direction.

#<.<# So yeah, I'm pretty close to this name alright.

Rizeska
2010-10-24, 10:28 AM
I'm pretty attached to this user name, but I'm pretty sure it's just a phase. Like, the next time I come up with an awesome user-name, I'll drop this one and cling to the new one like a barnacle. :P

cho_j
2010-10-25, 10:17 PM
I've got an interesting answer to that one...

My username on here is also my pen name, and my... other art name. Not sure what you call the name with which you sign drawings and the like. But I definitely use it when putting my writing or other art online. It is also my fictionpress and many other things name. Sometime around 11th grade I started using it almost exclusively as my screen name. When I join a site I didn't particularly want to join, or that I don't want associated with the Cho J. name, I use either catalysta or catalystina. So, it's fair to say that Cho J. is the name I associate with internet-me and creative-me.

I am very attached to the name. I have some friends IRL who call me Cho, mostly because they were around when I was using it much more openly with respect to my writing; I used to think that all my books or whatever would be published under the name Cho J. But in time I've come to feel that I want my real name on things I publish on the not-net.

If I met people from any site IRL, I would want them to call me Cho, because it's how they would know me. Everyone I know from real life, I want to call me by my real name. I DO look up when I hear Cho, though. (I've yet to hear Cho J.)

drakir_nosslin
2010-10-26, 02:18 AM
Heh, my username is my name backwards. Nothing people use, but I'd probably turn my head if someone said it out loud. Mostly because it sounds a bit strange.

Iferus
2010-10-26, 04:20 AM
Ifer is a name I picked for an online game a long time ago. I've heard the name on Teamspeak a lot, and a couple of people call me by that name in real life. I often suggest it as a nickname when I meet a namesake, for ease of communication.

Wandiya
2010-10-26, 05:09 AM
Heh, my username is my name backwards. Nothing people use, but I'd probably turn my head if someone said it out loud. Mostly because it sounds a bit strange.

This Rikard Nilsson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rikard_Nilsson) or a different one? I would answer to Wandiya in real life or Omnom/Pie as I'm used to that via steam.

drakir_nosslin
2010-10-26, 11:07 AM
This Rikard Nilsson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rikard_Nilsson) or a different one? I would answer to Wandiya in real life or Omnom/Pie as I'm used to that via steam.

Ha! I haven't played football since 3rd grade, unless I had to. Silly sport.
No, this (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=732728250) is the Rikard Nilsson that's writing this post.

ShortOne
2010-10-26, 11:17 AM
I'm not hugely attached to this one, although it's a very valid descriptor of my real life personage. My Steam username, however, gets shortened to Raven by GitP people. I know some of those people in real life, and they vary their names for me, so I've learned to respond to it outside of the internet.

loopy
2010-10-26, 11:30 AM
'loopy' is a nickname/gamertag/ravename of mine in real life, so I respond to it quite often. Actually I respond to it more than if someone uses my real name, oddly.

I've got mates who have known me IRL for 10 years who still don't know my real name. :smallsmile:

Fiery Diamond
2010-10-26, 01:07 PM
I don't actually know any people online that I didn't know first in real life, except one. (Sorry guys, but I wouldn't claim to actually know any of you.) That one exception is a friend of a friend, and was therefore given my real name. I only chose my username back when I joined GitP forums, but I use it or a variation everyone online (Fiery Diamond or, if that's taken, True Fiery Diamond). I'm rather attached to it and am somewhat miffed when I find it already taken. But I've never had anyone actually call me that. I wouldn't mind, though - I'd probably prefer it to be shortened to Fiery, Fire, or Diamond in conversation. Actually, now that I think on it, Diamond would be a pretty cool nickname to have.

Originally, I came up with the name by fiddling with the title of Fire Emblem, one of my favorite series (Golden Sun, Zelda, and Final Fantasy being the others).

Lyesmith
2010-10-26, 01:12 PM
Aziraphale isn't a moniker I use anywhere else. I've been debating changing it, I'm more of a Crowley by nature anyway.

But I'm not especially attatched to it.

Cipher Stars
2010-10-26, 01:15 PM
I am ciphered evil.
(Coded/mixed/hidden)

I'd say my name fits. it also retains the SS sound thats at the beginning of my real name.

Eldan
2010-10-27, 02:23 AM
I've actually been called "Eldan" the first time this weekend, at the local Warhamemr store. That was pretty jarring, actually. I just stared at the guy for a second or two, blinking slowly.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-27, 02:25 AM
My name means King in irish (I think) So technically KingRyan just means King King, but Ryan also means laughter (In latin I think) so it could also be KingLaughter, or King Of Laughter

Gullara
2010-10-27, 02:28 AM
I like it, because there's no one else on the entire web who uses that name, and it doesn't have a single number or silly character attached. :smalltongue:

*gasp* Silly number? In no way are numbers silly.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-27, 02:33 AM
I've got mates who have known me IRL for 10 years who still don't know my real name. :smallsmile:

I can understand that. The brother of a friend in high school only knew me by my nickname at the time. I was rather surprised to find he actually did know what my real name was.

I was so attached to that particular nickname that when I went to uni, and was living in a hall of residence, I would introduce myself with that name instead of my real name. Caused much confusion, since my nickname was actually a guy's name, and I'm well - not :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-10-27, 02:47 AM
People at meetups and here call me Cobra or Cobes. I don't mind. =3

druid91
2010-10-27, 07:24 AM

I'll have you know 91, 98, and 93 are the three official* numbers of awesomeness.

*In my mind.

KuReshtin
2010-10-27, 08:34 AM
I'm pretty attached to my user name.
It's not very widely used, and doing a Google search for my user name finds 8 of the first 10 results pointing at me on various boards or websites. Well, it might be 9, but i can't remember signing up to lolcats, so that's probably not me.

I've use this handle for so long that i can't even remember when I started using it, although I have it on record that I used it at least as early as February, 2005 on the H2G2 webpage as my user name there. I'm sure I used it on other sites before that as well, but that's as far as I can actually prove it. :smallcool:

When going to meetups and such, I really don't mind people calling me 'Ku' or 'KuReshtin' (although there's slight variations on how people pronounce it) as i will answer to it. It's close enough to my real name (Christian) for me to answer to it.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-27, 10:35 AM
:mad: hey no fair, I just did a google search on my name, and only 1 pointed at any of my accounts (specificallly my last post on the Iron Chef constest, over at roleplaying games)

Common, at least more than one should appear....

Sir_Chivalry
2010-10-27, 10:43 AM
My RL DnD group calls my Chivs occassionaly to mock me. I find it fun.

Ikialev
2010-10-27, 01:36 PM
I'm not close, as proved by already changing it a few times. Still looking for the perfect username.

Teddy
2010-10-27, 01:39 PM
:mad: hey no fair, I just did a google search on my name, and only 1 pointed at any of my accounts (specificallly my last post on the Iron Chef constest, over at roleplaying games)

Common, at least more than one should appear....

Doesn't Google sort away similar answers? If so, you wouldn't get any more answers from GitP unless you turned it off.

Trobby
2010-10-27, 02:18 PM
Doing a google search for "Introbulus" Is like taking a trip down memory lane for me. Pretty much every result has some relevance, and there's actually quite a list of results too.

Telasi
2010-10-27, 02:43 PM
Telasi is one of my old characters I'm quite fond of; my first with an actual, serious group of players. In more than one instance, I've instinctively responded to the name.

CrazedMalarite
2010-10-27, 09:55 PM
This one? Not at all. I switched like two years ago to something I wouldn't have to always explain and then get the interweb-version of a raised eyebrow for and much prefer it. But apparently I made an account here forever ago which I then forgot about, and when I came back and glanced over the rules it indicated that I wasn't supposed to make a new account. Thus, I still have this one. On an RPG forum I'm less concerned by it, anyhow, I suppose.

Partof1
2010-10-27, 10:15 PM
Neat, seven of the first 10 google searches for "Partof1" are me, though some are pretty old.

Shyftir
2010-10-27, 10:40 PM
everything that comes up for shyftir, is related to me, when you alter spellings these things change abit...

The Linker
2010-10-27, 10:42 PM
"The Linker" gets very little on Google.

Stupid programming term.

Though, "The_Linker" nets me three of the four first results, including number one. So that's something. But there's a lot of other "The_Linker"s. :smallfrown:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-10-27, 10:45 PM
Second thing I got for my name (though I didn't use an underscore) was a thread here. Not one I'd posted in, but rather, it picked up my favorite avatarist quoting me in her sig.

I miss her. v.v

Andraste
2010-10-27, 11:34 PM
I'm not especially attached to this name (though I would notice if someone called me by it) because I've only used it in about 3 places. Daedalus, however, I am very close with and some of my friends who I'm online with a lot call me it IRL occasionally too. WOO 500th post

Silverraptor
2010-10-28, 12:21 AM
I have looked up when I hear the words "Silver" and "Raptor" from time to time. However, I have yet seen a person in real life to say "Silverraptor", but I'm sure I'd look up.

Tinkee
2010-10-28, 12:26 AM
I'd definately look around as well. Been going by "tinkee" since Everquest first came online, and been playing characters or using the name on forums ever since. Dont know if i'd ever go by it intentionally though =p

Skeppio
2010-10-28, 12:32 AM
Sweet, the first page of Google and the only 'Skeppio' that isn't me is a reference to the old DOS game where I first took this name. :smallbiggrin:

Savannah
2010-10-28, 12:48 AM
I can guarantee that I won't be easily found with a Google search of my username :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-10-28, 12:58 AM
I can guarantee that I won't be easily found with a Google search of my username :smalltongue:

No, but you could find me by searching your username! I live there! =P

Skeppio
2010-10-28, 01:02 AM

See, this is why I chose a name that doesn't sound like anything. The closest guess most people have to my name's meaning is as a reference to a minor character from Chrono Trigger for the Super Nintendo. :smallbiggrin: Skeppio wins!

thubby
2010-10-28, 01:04 AM
seeing as how my gf uses my screenname as a pet name, ya, i'm kinda attached to it.

Lioness
2010-10-28, 01:15 AM

Yeah...likewise.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-28, 01:36 AM
Hmmm... first and fourth hits are me (one on here, one on my other forum). Everything else is a reference to the book I took the name from :smallsmile:

Kjata
2010-10-28, 06:47 AM
Very, very close.

Kjata is the real me. The only people who have ever seen the real me are people on websites with Kjata as my username.

Marnath
2010-10-30, 02:19 PM
I made my username from random letters way back in the day. Imagine my surprise when I googled it and found that it's the exact spelling of a quite common name in real life. A name I'd never heard before. :smalleek:

Big coincidences like that are freaky.

Water-Smurf
2010-10-30, 02:24 PM
I'm very close to my username. If someone calls me 'Smurf', I answer.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-10-30, 02:26 PM
I'm very close to my username. If someone calls me 'Smurf', I answer.

This makes me happy, for some reason. Guess I have a secret desire to call someone "Smurf". =3

Adumbration
2010-10-30, 03:28 PM
Fairly attached, I try to use it where I can. Has a nice ring to it, I think.

Trodon
2010-10-30, 03:49 PM
If someone called me Trodon I'd answer to it.

Obrysii
2010-10-30, 03:56 PM
Obrysii has been my screen name on many a forum for about a decade - it was originally the name of a villain in a story that, in early high-school / late middle school I felt was publishable, and I believe I got the name from a Russian name website (it supposedly means "great warrior") but I believe that over time the spelling of it has been seriously corrupted such that all searches for it invariably lead to the Order of the Stock forum among others.

Kastanok
2010-10-30, 07:20 PM
Kast, definitely. Shame I don't hear it more often. I definitely prefer it as a name to 'Chris' but, that having been said, I don't have as strong a gut reaction to it. Huh, actually, that might just be because I've never had a horror game apparently address me directly by Kast. (Damn Korsakovia's creepy with my name).

I think given a wasteland/portal-to-another-world/new-country scenario, I would make sure Kast was the only name people were aware of.

EDIT: Google sure knows me, alright. Though it keeps recommending 'kastanek', who/whatever that is.

Calmness
2010-10-30, 09:33 PM
I like it, but I like my real name better because it is more friendly. If I were a d&d character I would totally call myself Grimnir, though. :smallbiggrin: