PDA

View Full Version : ArtistsITP

Eruantion
2010-10-20, 08:02 PM
So, I've been perusing this thread, and I've realized there are a lot of comic artists or fan artists, but not a lot of "traditional artists." Traditional as in, what you would learn in art class at school. As a "traditional" artist, I want to start a thread where others can talk about various paintings, sketches or other projects they are working on. Feel free to post images of whatever you're working on, or just talk about art stuff.

Also, I'm not trying to bash all of you cartoonists, or whatever your preferred title is. We all have different types of art, but there are other places for yours.

Maximum Zersk
2010-10-20, 08:06 PM
Well, actually, we already have the Arts and Crafts Showcase, located here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8736).

Dallas-Dakota
2010-10-20, 08:06 PM
Like this forum.:smalltongue:

Yeah, I occasionaly do some traditional obscure, but I'm mainly focussed on film and photography and the, rest, I'm just learning.

I'm always learning.:smallsmile:

Crimmy
2010-10-20, 08:33 PM
I was gonna redirect, but Zersk beat me to it. :smalltongue:

Keveak
2010-10-21, 04:09 PM
I draw half my stuff by pencil nowadays, do that count? :smallsmile:

The other half is drawn by digital pencil (IE a tablet) because I don't always have a scanner or colours.

Useless information, ho! :smalltongue:

Prime32
2010-10-21, 04:31 PM
So, I've been perusing this thread, and I've realized there are a lot of comic artists or fan artists, but not a lot of "traditional artists." Traditional as in, what you would learn in art class at school. As a "traditional" artist, I want to start a thread where others can talk about various paintings, sketches or other projects they are working on. Feel free to post images of whatever you're working on, or just talk about art stuff.

Also, I'm not trying to bash all of you cartoonists, or whatever your preferred title is. We all have different types of art, but there are other places for yours....wut?

The line is between traditional and digital, not traditional and fanart. :smallconfused: Plenty of artists here draw their stuff on paper, not mention the "crafts" end of Arts & Crafts.

Fri
2010-10-21, 04:34 PM
I don't really understand what you're aiming, but I'm actually currently trying to graduate from my design major (or to be more specific, product design) and kasanip is an art major too. Are those what you're thinking as 'artistITP' ?

Because as your opening post said, we draw cartoon.

Eruantion
2010-10-21, 06:50 PM
Allow me to be more specific. Anything you draw on a tablet is fine. Digital, paper, canvas, photos, hey, even sculpture if that's what you're into. But what I'm looking for is art based around traditional movements (Impressionism for example) as opposed to, say, fanart based off of whatever world inspires you. Sorry I wasn't more clear, I meant traditional as in the subject matter, not what medium is used. I hope this clears things up.

Also, I'm not saying cartoonists or fan artists aren't artists, they just have a different kind of art than what I make and want to discuss on this thread.

Crimmy
2010-10-21, 09:08 PM
Allow me to be more specific. Anything you draw on a tablet is fine. Digital, paper, canvas, photos, hey, even sculpture if that's what you're into. But what I'm looking for is art based around traditional movements (Impressionism for example) as opposed to, say, fanart based off of whatever world inspires you. Sorry I wasn't more clear, I meant traditional as in the subject matter, not what medium is used. I hope this clears things up.

Also, I'm not saying cartoonists or fan artists aren't artists, they just have a different kind of art than what I make and want to discuss on this thread.

Again, and I hope this isn't rude, but really, you should read threads before posting new ones.
Just because the Arts and Crafts Showcase thread has lots of drawings, it doesn't mean it's exclusive to that. Serpie has showed us some of her stuff, I believe Mauve put up a bag she made (or something like that).

So, that's (I think) the place to go.

EDIT:
Sculpture is traditional. The greeks did that.

Just sayin', though.

Eruantion
2010-10-21, 09:32 PM
No, I see what you're saying. I was not fortunate enough to find the thread you referred me to before I posted this one.

And yeah, I know that the Greeks did sculpture. That list I made was stuff I would like to talk about on here. No offense, but I am kind of offended that you thought I wouldn't know that.

Crimmy
2010-10-21, 09:41 PM
No, I see what you're saying. I was not fortunate enough to find the thread you referred me to before I posted this one.

And yeah, I know that the Greeks did sculpture. That list I made was stuff I would like to talk about on here. No offense, but I am kind of offended that you thought I wouldn't know that.

:smallconfused: I don't understand where all that RAEG came from.
I never said you wouldn't know that (nor I gave such an idea, I merely mentioned it as a joke).
You are free to talk about what you like, but you weren't being clear. I'm sorry you feel offended by my answer.

Eruantion
2010-10-21, 09:57 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to come off as really angry. I didn't know you were just making a joke. Obviously, emotions don't come across easily on the internet. Thanks anyway for setting me straight on this whole thing... I probably just went about things too quickly without searching well enough for a thread like this.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-10-22, 07:33 PM
Hi, art major too, here.

And yeah, the people are more likely to be joking or being silly then actually offended, usually.

So as I major in film, how would you view that?

Eruantion
2010-10-24, 09:54 PM
Okay, that's good to know. I usually get defensive easily, so I'll keep that in mind.
Honestly, I'd never thought of film. But film is certainly a form of art, granted it's one I'll never be good at. But if this thread somehow does get off the ground, feel free to put links to any films you've made.