PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Spells and feats for a ice-themed Sorceror

Arutema
2010-10-22, 10:23 AM
Just started up a Elemental (Water) bloodline Sorceror for Pathfinder Society play, and I'm trying to figure out what spells and feats to take.

What are good spells to take? What spells are good-looking traps to avoid? What about feats?

Race: Halfling
Stats: Str 9, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 18
Current known spells:
Level 0: Acid Splash, Ray of Frost, Light, Detect Magic
Level 1: Magic Missile, Cause Fear

Restrictions:
Allowed sources: Pathfinder Core and Advanced Players Guide ONLY.
Item creation feats are banned. Permanency is banned.
Max level 12.
For fluff reasons, I'd like to avoid taking any (Fire) spells.

Arutema
2010-10-23, 01:39 PM
I hate to bump a thread like this, but I could really use advice on feat selection. It's my first time playing a caster.

Psyren
2010-10-23, 02:43 PM
Read this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2180.0) and come back with questions.

Arutema
2010-10-23, 05:29 PM
Read this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2180.0) and come back with questions.

A couple:
Is Quicken Spell worth taking, or downright mandatory now that PF allows Sorcerers to use it properly?

Are there any APG spells that are particularly great?

Rizeska
2010-10-23, 05:38 PM
There's an APG feat that lets you increase the DC of an energy type, in this case, cold. And then there's the greater version of it, which does the same thing. :D

Psyren
2010-10-23, 05:46 PM
A couple:
Is Quicken Spell worth taking, or downright mandatory now that PF allows Sorcerers to use it properly?

I can't help you with APG as I don't have it. (Are it's spells on the Pathfinder SRD? I have no way of knowing, but its classes are...)

For your first question: emphatic yes, for a number of reasons.

1) Quicken Spell is worth it for any caster, because actions are life and without it you are typically wasting one (your swift.) There are some swift-action spells, but having the freedom to make your own is a much better option, especially for the spell-limited sorcerer.

2) AoOs are far more dangerous in Pathfinder, because you can't cast defensively. (Well, you can, but it's not a good idea.) Also, there is no longer a Concentration skill. However, Quickened Spells do not provoke AoOs, allowing you to cast something fast to get the hell out of dodge and then retaliate.

I'll put it this way; outside of Pathfinder, you either need an ACF or a whole other feat (Rapid Metamagic) for your sorcerer to use Quicken Spell. Yet even costing two feats to quicken spells, it's still worth it.

In PF, you only need the one feat. So yeah.

BobVosh
2010-10-23, 06:24 PM
A couple:

Once you get 6th level spells it is worth looking in to. Really I prefer quicken rods over the feat.

Arutema
2010-10-24, 01:07 AM
Suggestions for the sole 6th-level spell I'll be getting? (Assuming my character lives that long)

I'm leaning towards Disintegrate, even if Freezing Sphere would be more flavorful.

Psyren
2010-10-24, 01:16 AM
You'll already have Cone of Cold, Freezing Sphere would be redundant. Disintegrate or Forceful Hand are primo choices for core, though I don't know how the latter behaves in pathfinder.

Arutema
2010-10-25, 04:01 AM
One more question: Do Spell Focus and Elemental Focus stack?

If i cans an Evocation (Cold) spell does it get the benefits of both Spell Focus (Evocation) and Elemental Focus (Cold)?

dsmiles
2010-10-25, 04:41 AM
Question for you, OP:

As I haven't played Pathfinder, does Pathfinder have the Energy Substitution and Energy Admixture feats, or did those not carry over?

Hurlbut
2010-10-25, 10:34 AM
Question for you, OP:

As I haven't played Pathfinder, does Pathfinder have the Energy Substitution and Energy Admixture feats, or did those not carry over?
One feat. Any spell you prepare with this feat is one level higher, you choose an energy type when you get it, then the damage is either all of this type, or half damage is this type and the other is the original type.

dsmiles
2010-10-25, 10:39 AM
One feat. Any spell you prepare with this feat is one level higher, you choose an energy type when you get it, then the damage is either all of this type, or half damage is this type and the other is the original type.

I take it he already has that feat?

Hurlbut
2010-10-25, 10:45 AM
I take it he already has that feat?I don't know, but Elemental Spell feat is in Advanced Player's Guide so he's allowed to use it.

Also on a related note, if he look at the oracle's waves mystery and the elemental wizard's water school, he can see what spells fit the theme of water/cold/ice

Arutema
2010-10-25, 01:20 PM
I take it he already has that feat?

Actually, no, as i haven't picked up APG yet. I'd rather take spells that are naturally (cold) rather than burn a +1 metamagic on them. My Bloodline will give me ice versions of Burning Hands and Scorching Ray, which helps towards this goal.

I plan to take some electric and acid spells on the side, just no fire.

satorian
2010-10-25, 02:28 PM
Limited as you are, you should really try to get APG. You can access all of its content on the pfsrd, as well.

Arutema
2010-10-25, 04:48 PM
How's this feat layout look:

1: Toughness - already taken, can't change
3: Elemental Focus (Cold)
5: Spell Focus (Evocation)
7: Greater Elemental Focus (Cold)
9: Greater Spell Focus (Evocation)
11: Quicken Spell

In total +4 to the save DCs of all those Evocation (Cold) spells I'll be taking.

Now watch the character bite it next session.

EDIT: Bought the PDF of the APG. Thanks for the purchasing advice.

Rixx
2010-10-25, 08:00 PM
If you're an Elemental bloodline sorcerer, you can switch out energy damage for cold damage for free as your Bloodline Arcana.

The APG has tons of neat elemental spells - it's all OGL, so you can find a good deal of them here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com