PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit news

pendell
2010-10-22, 11:11 AM
Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303738504575567432355707688.html)

WELLINGTON, New Zealand—Prime Minister John Key will meet film executives from Time Warner Inc. on Tuesday in a last-ditch effort to keep the two-part, US$500 million "Lord of the Rings" prequel, "The Hobbit," in New Zealand, a government spokeswoman said.

The talks are scheduled for Wellington, New Zealand's capital, according to the spokeswoman, who declined to specify who would attend on behalf of the film producer. The prime minister wants to persuade Warner not to move the film out of the country over a labor dispute.

No indications whether Prime Minister Key will say "we muuust have the preciousssss..." during the meeting.

I can't imagine where else in the world the movie could be filmed. LOTR made me fall in love with New Zealand, even though I've had no opportunity to visit myself. Where else could they possibly film it?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-22, 11:17 AM
Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303738504575567432355707688.html)

No indications whether Prime Minister Key will say "we muuust have the preciousssss..." during the meeting.

I can't imagine where else in the world the movie could be filmed. LOTR made me fall in love with New Zealand, even though I've had no opportunity to visit myself. Where else could they possibly film it?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Well, lots of places, really.... movie sets, even.

Still, I suppose it would be best if it remained in New Zealand. One of my teachers told me lots of animation students are trying to go on exchange to New Zealand because of these movies.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-22, 11:25 AM
If they could, though it's only a small part, do the Shire scenes in the same location as the Lord of the Rings, that would be pretty darn cool in my mind.
I guess one trouble with this movie is a I can't think of any movie, besides previous adaptations, that has had dwarves as the majority of the cast characters. We have had a number of elves or elf like creatures be the main focus, but not dwarves to my knowledge.

Irbis
2010-10-22, 12:07 PM

United Kingdom, perhaps? :smallconfused:

You know, in the place that was actually used as a basis for Shire by that one guy who wrote novel adaptation of this movie?

What was his name, again? Token? Toucan? Something like that.

Brother Oni
2010-10-22, 12:16 PM
If filming in the UK worked for Stardust, I see no reason why it wouldn't work for The Hobbit.

VanBuren
2010-10-22, 12:18 PM

You know, in the place that was actually used as a basis for Shire by that one guy who wrote novel adaptation of this movie?

What was his name, again? Token? Toucan? Something like that.

Yeah, but that's only because he'd never been to New Zealand. Trust me, he'dve been on board with it. :smallwink:

WalkingTarget
2010-10-22, 12:18 PM
I guess one trouble with this movie is a I can't think of any movie, besides previous adaptations, that has had dwarves as the majority of the cast characters. We have had a number of elves or elf like creatures be the main focus, but not dwarves to my knowledge.

Yeah, lots of actors in prosthetic makeup/beards that do a lot to obscure the actor's actual features. That's gotta be rough on both the actors and the production staff.

That and the need for a lot more forced perspective/scale doubles/special effects for the scenes where the hobbit/dwarves are interacting with "the big people"

Ravens_cry
2010-10-22, 12:26 PM
Yeah, lots of actors in prosthetic makeup/beards that do a lot to obscure the actor's actual features. That's gotta be rough on both the actors and the production staff.

That and the need for a lot more forced perspective/scale doubles/special effects for the scenes where the hobbit/dwarves are interacting with "the big people"
Well, they had to do that that anyway in Lord of the Rings. But they are going to have to find someone really short to play Bilbo, or a BUNCH of tall stout people for the dwarves or they will have to do three different sets of sets. In Lord of the Rings, they were lucky John Rhys-Davies is about half a foot taller then the actors playing the hobbits so they could use the same sets.

PopcornMage
2010-10-22, 12:31 PM

Time Bandits? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081633/)

Ravens_cry
2010-10-22, 12:54 PM
Time Bandits? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081633/)
Intriguing, I was unaware. Still, I think my point predominately stands, dwarves as the bulk of the main cast is still uncommon.

drakir_nosslin
2010-10-22, 01:22 PM
Where else could they possibly film it?

Norway, perhaps? Lots of pretty mountains and forests. Very nice country indeed.

pendell
2010-10-22, 01:35 PM
Wouldn't a major consideration be to find a location in a relatively unpopulated area? So that you're not continually having to photoshop out passing airplanes and dub out their noise?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

ThirdEmperor
2010-10-22, 02:04 PM
If they could, though it's only a small part, do the Shire scenes in the same location as the Lord of the Rings, that would be pretty darn cool in my mind.

Time Bandits. I repeat. Time Bandits.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-22, 02:30 PM
And this hast been repeated before. *points to post number nine*

Prime32
2010-10-22, 02:39 PM

You know, in the place that was actually used as a basis for Shire by that one guy who wrote novel adaptation of this movie?I heard Ireland was one of the places being considered. We're close enough, I guess.

jmbrown
2010-10-22, 02:41 PM
Filming locations are almost always about money and efficiency. The issue is that New Zealand's actors union wants more money and Warner Bros. doesn't want to give. Now that they're threatening to move, the actor's union is giving in because Warner Bros. has generated so much revenue.

If they do move out, the next location will be chosen based on the best deal they can get.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-22, 02:42 PM
Wouldn't a major consideration be to find a location in a relatively unpopulated area? So that you're not continually having to photoshop out passing airplanes and dub out their noise?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

This is correct, but they still manage it when using movie sets with Green Screens (Or Blue Screens).

Although I remember Robbin Williams commenting on it during the bloopers of License to Wed, when a car alarm went off outside. "See, this is what I love about shooting in DOWNTOWN LA!" :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-10-22, 04:11 PM
Well, lots of places, really.... movie sets, even.

Movie sets? Like with green screen backgrounds and too much CG? These are the LOTR prequels, not the Star Wars one. For me, it's gotta be in New Zealand (or Middle Earth if they can actual find a way to get there).

Brother Oni
2010-10-22, 04:22 PM

There was also the opening and ending scenes of Willow in the Nelwyn village.