PDA

View Full Version : How to traveling long distances in a session

Logician
2010-10-23, 05:57 PM
In my next session of 3.5 in which im the DM, the players are going to have to reach a objective which is geographically very far away (months of travel). However, I would like to have the players traverse this distance within a single session, as delaying the reveal at the destination till next session would hurt their suspension of disbelief (i'd rather not go into specifics, as i'm only 80% sure none of my players read these forums). Also, I want to refrain from having them travel any large distance without incident, as that trivializes things.

In summation, whats a good way to give the illusion of traveling for a very long time without it actually taking a long time? the obvious way is multiple random encounters, but that tends to waste to much time and i have quite a few plot relevant things that i must do.

If you feel as though you cannot help me without additional information, ill give it, but as i said i'd rather not.

AslanCross
2010-10-23, 06:08 PM
Apart from combat encounters, let the players encounter the environment along the way. If it's a jungle, have them encounter flash floods or downpours. If it's an open prairie, thunderstorms and the risk of tornadoes. If it's a volcanic area, fumaroles and ashfalls. A glacial area can have avalanches and blizzards. These hazards shouldn't be too difficult for the players to deal with, keep from trivializing the journey, and are easier to resolve than combat.

I'd still throw in encounters, though. I roll these in advance so I can prepare them well enough so that they're not just "two bugbears on the road" but "two bugbears hiding in ambush behind a barricade, with a rock slide trap rigged to fall on the PCs."

Also, narration helps. When the players trudge 70 or so miles through fiery death mountains of lava and fire and death, they'll be able to appreciate the narration of their destination.

Logician
2010-10-23, 06:24 PM
i hadn't thought of environmental hazards, i'll probably use this ( the terrain is forest, then plains, then islands). As for combat encounters i do have one very good one all planed out (a navel encounter) so hopefully that combined with a single random encounter, and say a stampede should suffice.

Trundlebug
2010-10-23, 06:31 PM
Apart from combat encounters, let the players encounter the environment along the way. If it's a jungle, have them encounter flash floods or downpours. If it's an open prairie, thunderstorms and the risk of tornadoes. If it's a volcanic area, fumaroles and ashfalls. A glacial area can have avalanches and blizzards.

Also, narration helps. When the players trudge 70 or so miles through fiery death mountains of lava and fire and death, they'll be able to appreciate the narration of their destination.

There's the biggie. Weather is often forgotten. Use the weather to drive the PC's towards a significant encounter partway too if you want. You know the whole

Wiz:"no one has passed through that valley pass in 50 years, that's why the road goes around into the country of Whateverplace."

Rng:"Well unless you want to be blown off the mountain we're going. There hasn't been a storm like this brewing in over..well ever. I'm serious, this is half the mountain will be washed clean stuff!"

Also soundloops from movies that have long travels scenes really help. Horses, carts etc. Don't forget to mention a few travelers and maybe have them meet an interesting one. Also sightseeing is forgotten often. The party can see a flock of wyverns or giants on a ridge in the distance to make it more fun without a fight.

Recurring worldly NPC or an escaped foe from the past seeking new life that the characters '"catch up to".

All of that could be 2-4 encounters with a bit of narrating. Definitely a full session.

valadil
2010-10-23, 06:41 PM
There's the biggie. Weather is often forgotten. Use the weather to drive the PC's towards a significant encounter partway too if you want. You know the whole

Yup, seasonal weather is the way to go. Having a couple fights or skill checks in the snow followed by arriving in the spring will illustrate that the PCs have been out a while.

Dsurion
2010-10-23, 06:58 PM
You can use your description of scenery as an advantage for later plot hooks, if it's relevant. Make up a significant area or landmark that the PC's may or may not find interesting and want to later visit.

You can also use animals. It's not much, but it's a known fact that dolphins occasionally lead ships into port. You could throw in something like a moving herd and describe their reaction to the weather going on around you.

You could also have a technical problem, like a loose wheel on a carriage/wagon, or a problem with a ship's rigging.

JonRG
2010-10-23, 07:22 PM
Music can also help set a travellin' mood, though don't use something too recognizable, or your players will focus on that as opposed to the game.