PDA

View Full Version : [PF] You are reincarnated as a black bear...

Tetsubo 57
2010-10-25, 07:45 AM
Imagine that you are a 4th level Gnome Adept and while adventuring with a stalwart band of heroes you are killed. They can't Raise you but they can get you Reincarnated. You come back as a black bear. What would you do?

This would be a NPC and my first instinct is to make him a Barbarian. But that almost seems too obvious. Anyone have any thoughts?

Oddly, I just discovered that there is no black bear listing in the PFRD.

Vizzerdrix
2010-10-25, 07:51 AM
Psion, or druid. Wild shape to see your DMs head explode.

Badgerish
2010-10-25, 08:07 AM
levels of Barbarian
levels of Warrior (as they started with NPC classes)
levels of Alchemist, because the class doesn't expressly say "you need hands"
Animal racial HD, to show a degeneration into a beast-like state (also can make you bigger)

Tengu_temp
2010-10-25, 08:52 AM
Don't be a barbarian. Be a monk.

Thrawn183
2010-10-25, 08:58 AM
Druid. Use your civilizedshape to become human.

FelixG
2010-10-25, 09:28 AM
He would have no time to gain any new levels, he would be busy lording his new found height over his fellows

dsmiles
2010-10-25, 09:46 AM
I'd have to go Bearbarian/Druid, with a ridable Fire Element Dire Bear Companion, and summon Fire Element Dire Bears, all while having a Fire Shield spell active.

El Dorado
2010-10-25, 09:57 AM
Druid. Use your civilizedshape to become human.

This. First feat: natural spell.

Awnetu
2010-10-25, 11:04 AM
Start off barbarian, pick up bear warrior, use your rage to change into a BEAR!

grarrrg
2010-10-25, 11:52 AM
Start off barbarian, pick up bear warrior, use your rage to change into a BEAR!

MOAR BEAR!
for the wins

subject42
2010-10-25, 12:13 PM
While I was one of the original perpetrators of the Bear meme, I'm actually going to be somewhat serious here.

He's probably pretty shocked about the transmigration of his form, so he might go overboard trying to regain the life that he had before. If you allow 3.5 material, I would probably start by having him take three levels of stoneblessed in order to count as a gnome again. After that, I would take 3 levels in gnome paragon in order to show that he's trying to outgnome even other gnomes.

If you are restricted to PF, Alchemist/Master Chymist would be awesome, with a normal gnomish form as your mutagenic form.

Awnetu
2010-10-25, 01:01 PM
Would it be good to suggest that as more of a gestalt combination so the character isnt spending a large amount of resources trying to get back into his normal form?

Gold to fix a problem is one thing, class levels can be pretty expensive.

jiriku
2010-10-25, 01:09 PM
I would go home and use my new big bear form to beat the crap out of anybody who picked on me in adept school. Then I'd take Natural Spell and keep leveling as an adept, because that's one part of my identity that I can hold onto unchanged. If there's a small-sized character in the party, I might even get me an exotic saddle and become his mount. Because, y'know, bear cavalry.

Cieyrin
2010-10-25, 02:42 PM
I would go home and use my new big bear form to beat the crap out of anybody who picked on me in adept school. Then I'd take Natural Spell and keep leveling as an adept, because that's one part of my identity that I can hold onto unchanged. If there's a small-sized character in the party, I might even get me an exotic saddle and become his mount. Because, y'know, bear cavalry.

While all this is awesome, I should point out that, technically, Natural Spell requires Wild Shape, putting it out of immediate reach. Simply replace with Surrogate Spellcasting (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Surrogate_Spellcasting), which is what you're actually looking for. Thanks, Savage Species, for making a Bear Adept a viable choice! :smallbiggrin:

Magdela
2010-10-25, 02:51 PM
Not another overbearing bear thread. They're just unbearably corny.

grarrrg
2010-10-25, 03:28 PM
Surrogate Spellcasting (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Surrogate_Spellcasting)

Dang, that's another hit against my "Fiendish Gelatinous Cube (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a) Wizard of DOOM!"

"You must still have suitable appendages and vocal organs"

The Wis requirement, and the Cube's massive mental score penalties don't help either...