PDA

View Full Version : Shapeshifting for Fun and Profit! (Base Class - ToB optional)(PEACH)

Shyftir
2010-10-30, 08:07 PM
One time I asked for so many optional class features it hurt... like candy. This is the end result.

Savage Soul

I am the hunting hawk and the howling wolf. Leave this place or pay the cost.
-Evan Lonepine, The Savage Soul of Blackleaf Vail
(Image in spoiler tags)

http://i55.tinypic.com/2r7c1hv.jpg

The Savage Soul is a mysterious warrior in tune with the wild and able to take the form of a viscous predator. Much like a ranger in temperament, these savage warrior's connection to nature allows them to achieve incredible feats in their shapeshift forms.

Class Skills
The Savage Soul’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Hit Dice: d8

Savage Soul
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Maneuvers K/R|Stances

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Track, wild empathy, shapeshift|
1/1|

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|(bonus feat)|
1/1|

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Endurance|
2/1|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1||
2/1|

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1||
3/2|

6th|
+6/1|
+5|
+5|
+2|(bonus feat)|
3/2|

7th|
+7/2|
+5|
+5|
+2|Woodland Stride|
4/2|

8th|
+8/3|
+6|
+6|
+2|Swift Tracker|
4/2|

9th|
+9/4|
+6|
+6|
+3|Evasion|
5/3|

10th|
+10/5|
+7|
+7|
+3||
5/3|

11th|
+11/6/1|
+7|
+7|
+3|(bonus feat)|
6/3|

12th|
+12/7/2|
+8|
+8|
+4||
6/3|

13th|
+13/8/3|
+8|
+8|
+4|Camouflage|
7/4|

14th|
+14/9/4|
+9|
+9|
+4||
7/4|

15th|
+15/10/5|
+9|
+9|
+5|(bonus feat)|
8/4|

16th|
+16/11/6/1|
+10|
+10|
+5||
8/4|

17th|
+17/12/7/2|
+10|
+10|
+5|Hide in Plain Site|
9/5|

18th|
+18/13/8/3|
+11|
+11|
+6||
9/5|

19th|
+19/14/9/4|
+11|
+11|
+6|(bonus feat)|
10/5|

20th|
+20/15/10/5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Primal Avatar|
10/5|
[/table]

Class Feature Choice:
At first level you must choose either bonus feats or martial maneuvers, the purpose of this choice is to allow use of this class in both ToB and non-ToB games.

If you choose bonus feats:
Bonus Feats
You gain a bonus feat at 2nd, 6th, 11th, 15th, and 19th levels. You can choose from the fighter bonus feat list as well as the following list, but you must qualify for these feats, in either shapeshift form or human form.
Savage Soul Bonus feats:Awesome Blow, Hover, Improved Natural Armor, Improved Natural Attack, Multi-attack, Wingover, Improved Maneuverability, Improved Multi-attack, Improved Speed, Large and In Charge, Power Dive, Power Climb

If you choose maneuvers:
Maneuvers Known
You start play knowing one maneuver selected from a school open to you. Your allowed schools are: Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, and White Raven. Your maneuvers work in all ways like a swordsage's except for school restrictions and the known/readied list above.
Maneuvers Readied
You ready maneuvers as if you were a swordsage including recovery mechanic, with the exception that you can shapeshift during your full round recovery action.
Stances
Your stances also work in all ways as a swordsage, with the exception that you can assume/change stances as part of a shapeshift once a round.

Normal Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Savage soul is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as any natural attacks gained from shapeshift, and with light armor and shields (except tower shields).
Track: At first level you gain Track as a bonus feat.
Wild Empathy: At first level, you gain wild empathy as the ranger ability. This counts as the ranger ability for the purpose of ACF selection.
Shapeshift: At first level, you gain the shapeshift class feature as the Druid ACF on page 39 of PHB2
Endurance: At 3rd level, you gain Endurance as a bonus feat.
Woodland Stride: At 7th level, you gain woodland stride as the ranger ability.
Swift Tracker: At 8th level, as the ranger ability.
Evasion: At 9th level, you gain Evasion as the ranger ability.
Camouflage: At 13th level, as the ranger ability.
Hide in Plain Site: At 17th level, as the ranger ability.

Primal Avatar: At level 20, your connection with nature becomes so profound that your body and soul are transformed into an avatar of nature's might. Gain a +2 to all your stats. You become immune to disease (including magical diseases) and aging. You gain speak with animals as a permanent ability and your type changes to your choice of Elemental, Plant or Outsider (native) except when resolving race specific effects. (Example: If you are an elf, you still count as an elf for the purpose of qualifying for prestige classes and using elf specific magic items) You can also still be raised or resurrected but only willingly.

Design notes:
This is basically just a very altered ranger. It trades the rangers Favored Enemy, Combat Style and Animal Companion, for the Druid shapeshift ACF.

It trades a ranger's rather poor selection of spells out for a very limited number of maneuvers (schools chosen because they contain animal names,-- Okay not so much stone dragon but hey...) Or a selection of bonus feats if ToB material is not allowed.

Yes, I realize another ranger fix with shapeshift as an option exists, but my inspiration for this class came seperately. Also I know that 5 bonus feats do not make up for lost Maneuvers but if your DM disallows ToB your melee will most likely be weaker anyway. I'm aiming for low Tier 3, high Tier 4.

Milskidasith
2010-11-03, 10:19 AM
This is certainly low tier 3 or high tier 4, being a very limited martial adept with some nice bonuses tacked on. With the bonus feats option, though, it isn't very great.

Hyooz
2010-11-03, 02:04 PM
I'd say you could give it full-on wildshape and a better maneuver progression and you'd be set.

Plus, the mental image of a tyrannosaurus using martial maneuvers is too awesome to pass up.

Shyftir
2010-11-03, 04:41 PM
Well using the shapeshift ACF was one of the design goals. If It used both bonus feats and the maneuver progression would that move it up to solid tier 3?

I'm not really trying to make something high tier. If I was it would have druid spell casting. I'm looking for a fun to play not worthless melee. I want a mid tier class.

boomwolf
2010-11-03, 08:50 PM
Well, nice concept but a bit lacking. (i DID love the idea of making it both ToB and non ToB compatible.)

First, the feats option needs a boost. gaining more feats more often will help make it more plausible as right now the maneuvers are way, way better.

In addition, you need to expand on this class. add in more shapeshifty abilities. maybe you gain an ability like the changeling's alter shape? new shapeshift options?

In short, its nice, but needs more juice.