PDA

View Full Version : Do you hear specific voices when reading posts?

Haruki-kun
2010-11-01, 01:45 PM
I only realized this one or two days ago, but I noticed while chatting in MSN that several of the playgrounders I talk to regularly or know close enough have voices. That is, I actually read their posts and IM's in a specific voice. It also happens with a few characters from FFRP.

I can't help it, something about bonding I guess. So does anyone else do this? Concentrate for a minute... do you recognize my voice? :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-11-01, 01:57 PM
No not really. This applies to everything, letters, books, etc. I just don't associate voices with text.

KingOfLaughter
2010-11-01, 02:16 PM
After a while I start to form voices taht fit with the character. I do it in books and games and such.

Leecros
2010-11-01, 02:17 PM
Help!! I think I've gone crazy, the voices have stopped talking and I can hear reality!

sorry i had to...:smalltongue:

I think i have an idea of what you mean, but no, i don't. I can catch flecks of personality out of messages, but i don't hear voices or more specifically attempt to imagine how someone sounds when saying something in a text-based format.

Eloel
2010-11-01, 02:20 PM
Only if I try to. I only try if I suspect sarcasm. Reading it out loud tends to help with detecting sarcasm, so that.
Specific to the poster? I barely notice who the poster is, unless they have posted something really out of ordinary. Or if they have an attention-grabbing avatar. Or both.

Prime32
2010-11-01, 02:23 PM
Only if I know the poster quite well.

ReluctantReaper
2010-11-01, 02:24 PM
Yea I do this usually whenever I’m reading after I get some general knowledge or the character or person I usually have them develop a voice.

Trog
2010-11-01, 02:35 PM
Wasn't this how the original You thread started? :smallconfused: I'm fairly sure it was.

Something about "what do you think people sound like" and then people started posting audio clips of themselves to show how they sounded and then later photos and voilà... You Thread. :smallsmile:

Haruki-kun
2010-11-01, 02:41 PM
Wasn't this how the original You thread started? :smallconfused: I'm fairly sure it was.

Something about "what do you think people sound like" and then people started posting audio clips of themselves to show how they sounded and then later photos and voilà... You Thread. :smallsmile:

I dunno. It sounds like ancient history to me. :smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-01, 02:47 PM
When I read people's posts they all just sound like my own thoughts. :smalltongue:
Hm, I wonder what my "voice" sounds like to people who haven't heard me.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-01, 02:47 PM
There was once an audio thread, which became an audio component of You, I think. I remember, because I recorded 3 terrible clips. There was also a handwriting thread, at one point.

But no. Until I see someone in You, I picture them as looking like their avatar. And even after meeting and hearing people, I can't do their voice in my head. >.<

Haruki-kun
2010-11-01, 02:55 PM
There was once an audio thread, which became an audio component of You, I think. I remember, because I recorded 3 terrible clips. There was also a handwriting thread, at one point.

But no. Until I see someone in You, I picture them as looking like their avatar. And even after meeting and hearing people, I can't do their voice in my head. >.<

I always picture people as their avatar.... so basically I hear the avatar's voice. And I doubt it'd change if I saw a picture... it doesn't, usually.

RandomNPC
2010-11-01, 05:34 PM
I read them in my head as a "narator" it's more of thinking of the words and knowing what they mean than actually hearing them.

As for voices, I've noticed I keep track of the number of times the "speaker" changes and I've got a mental note if it's the first speaker or the person responding, but that's only accurate with two speakers. I do it on message boards and suddenly person 1 is against what they first wanted, speaker 2 is bringing in new topics, all kinds of chaos. But I do it anyway.

BlueWizard
2010-11-01, 05:39 PM
I do... especially if the poster has a great and creative avatar or user-name.

UN Spacy
2010-11-01, 09:00 PM
Yes. As dull, droning British narrators.

Too many documentaries I guess. *shrug*

Lady Moreta
2010-11-01, 09:29 PM
I actually don't... which surprises me, because I do do it with books when I'm reading. Characters have different voices in my head. Odd that posters don't...

Maybe I just ran out of room in there :smalltongue:

Marnath
2010-11-01, 09:33 PM

I assure you, i'm not a robot bent on enslaving humanity. >.> Yes, perfectly normal human.

I do sort of speak in a monotone though. :smallsmile:

Thufir
2010-11-01, 09:36 PM
I don't generally, though occasionally it occurs to me while reading someone's post "Wait! I know what this person's voice sounds like! Imagine it properly!"

Boo
2010-11-01, 09:37 PM
All voices tend to sound like a great narrator I like, and have just heard speak. For instance: a while back, when I was still messing about the FFRP, I had watched Stephen Fry talking about... something. Probably safe sex. I then started reading posts from others, and everyone (everyone) sounded like Stephen Fry.

If no such person has been watched, then everyone mostly everyone has their own voice.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-11-01, 09:40 PM
Yeah, same with me. Characters in books and whatnot have voices, but real people don't. Even if I see those people everyday, I read text online in my own voice.

Blue Ghost
2010-11-01, 10:15 PM
Only some of the time, with some people. I remember I definitely heard a unique voice for Je dit Viola, and possibly Saint Nil, Grim Ranger, MonkeyBusiness, and some others.

Temotei
2010-11-01, 11:55 PM
I rarely do this on the forum. With arguskos, sometimes, simply because I've heard his voice in a video he had in a You thread...he was traveling.

TSGames
2010-11-01, 11:57 PM
I can't help it, something about bonding I guess. So does anyone else do this? Concentrate for a minute... do you recognize my voice? :smalltongue:
No, but sometimes when I read, I like to pretend that Morgan Freeman is reading it to me.

Kallisti
2010-11-01, 11:59 PM
Yes.

And even worse, I recently (thanks to various Let's-Plays) found out what Rutskarn, Jibar, and Phase really sound like.

They sounded completely different than what I imagined. I actually thought Jibar was Rutskarn and vice versa until they started calling each other by name. It was really disconcerting. And now whenever I read their posts I keep switching between my imagined voices and their real ones, which is even more disconcerting.

Gah...