PDA

View Full Version : The Scarlet Dawn

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-01, 03:04 PM
There is a small alehouse named Unicorn's Horn just at the saner edge of Firewander in Nexus. It is small, filthy, infested with vermin of several kinds and the drinks it offers to its customers are of questionable quality at best. It is not somewhere anyone of sound mind and tempers would eagerly frequent. Yet today, it serves five guests of such high esteem that in a better age, their presence would not soon be forgot. In this fallen world, however, they must mask their identities for fear - or perhaps only caution - of the reinvigorated Wyld Hunt. They hail from Heaven and the Demon City and other places still, yet they share one thing in common: they are Exalted.

It would seem there can be no worse time to be Anathema, as the Scarlet Empress has returned to her throne, and the faces of the Incarnae have turned crimson in the sky, but then again, their enemies underestimate the might of resourcefulness of an Exalt at their own peril. And when five Exalts come together, nations shake before their arrival.

It is an hour or so after the bloodied face of the Unconquered Sun has risen over the eastern horizon, and the city is yet quiet, though the ceaseless thunder and crackling fire of Firewander tells a different tale. And today, a chilling howl has repeated itself several times since nightfall. There are many unnamed terrors in the Wyld-consumed district, but then again, the Exalted were created to destroy much greater horrors than those.

You are one of the Exalts sitting in the Unicorn's Horn. What do you do?

Xefas
2010-11-01, 04:10 PM
The Sedulous Virtuoso sat on a bar-stool, cracked mug in hand, his elbows splayed across the counter in melancholy. He did not typically indulge in alcohol if he could help it, but today was just grim enough, he felt, to warrant a few moments of distraction. As he leaned in to take a swig, he became distinctly grateful to the dark tint of his goggles, which somewhat obscured the filth encrusted upon his glass.

He made to put the beverage down and push it away from him, but a voice in his head assured him that this level of drunkenness was assuredly not enough to blot out the unfortunate circumstances he had found himself in as of late. He was merely tipsy. We're going for bender. And, unlike some of the other voices he heard from time to time, this one was actually his voice, and not the other voice which had taken up residence in his skull. That voice was telling him to go seek out Lost Forbidden Knowledges That Men Were Not Meant to Know, as it often did. 'But to what end?' he thought.

'I have not a friend in the world. My family is gone. I've got no money, and I'm on the run from not only the Wyld Hunt for my very blasphemy of existing, but I've got demons to worry about.' The thoughts swirled like so much cheap ale. What was he to do? He was gifted now, he knew that. He wanted to help folks, but where to start? Where to start that he would not be hunted down and executed like a rabid dog? Nowhere was really safe. He had left Greyfalls, slowly making his way towards this detestable hub of pestilence and iniquity; Nexus, the venereal disease of Creation. He would have to leave this place, too, at some point. He doubted he would miss it.

At the very least, Virtuoso had mastered the trick that would keep him from starving to death in his wanderings. It would pay for this swill, in fact. He'd spent much of last night with a Hacksaw Forged of His Own Pure Majestic Essence in one hand, and a rat in the other, attempting to cut the squealing vermin into a jade Obal. This wouldn't make a terrible amount of sense for anyone not versed in the deeper workings of Essence, but in the end, he'd succeeded. He had several chunks of green jade that vaguely resembled Bits now. A Bit, of course, being worth about two-months salary to the average working man. Somewhere around the time Virtuoso had learned to break the Law of Conservation of Mass over his knee, he'd also lost his concept of monetary value.

The glass before him drained, he withdrew from his pocket one of the Bits and placed it on the counter. "More to drink, if you'd be so kind." he sputtered to the barkeep in a Low-Realmish accented Riverspeak.

Turalisj
2010-11-01, 09:02 PM
A rather slim, yet tall man entered the alehouse. His skin was bronzed from years of living in the south, and the slight gleam of a pair of golden weapons could be seen underneath his cloak, as if daring anyone to look further. Over one should was a heavy medallion, on which was the symbol of the Guild's enforcers.

Tiger glared around the bar, cracking his knuckles and rolling his shoulders before taking a seat next to some pale looking guy who seemed to be drowning himself. Give me a Firewander Special*. Just set the tab to Hierarch M'lzien, he'll pay it off for ya. He said to the bartender in River Speak, though a bit of Firetongue accent slipped into it.

GT pushed on the pale man's shoulder to get his attention. Hey bub, ya hear about the scarlet empress returning to tha throne? Some say that the god's themselves have painted the skies blood red in her honor.

*- Firewander Special is just Nexus brandy with firedust on top and then set on fire.

Xefas
2010-11-01, 10:06 PM
"So that's what happened." he said, slurring his words slightly. "Sounds like, um, cause for celebration."

The truth was that Virtuoso had mixed feelings about such news. On the one hand, he'd grown up in Greyfalls, a colony of the Realm, and there was an awful lot of propaganda there about the former glory of the Scarlet Empire. Part of him wondered that, with the famed Empress back at the helm, if things would start to look up for the average citizen of Creation. On the other hand, he also knew that, as genuine Anathema, anything that strengthened the Realm was likely to cause trouble for him in the future.

Not that he said any of this. He'd noticed that this man was affiliated in some fashion with the Guild, and among the things Virtuoso currently needed, another Creation-spanning foe was not one of them. Best to just nod and agree. "If the gods honor her, perhaps we should as well. I'd drink to that."

Britter
2010-11-01, 11:02 PM
The man who came down the stairs of the run-down inn was massive; tall and broad-shouldered, he seemed to fill the small common room. His fair skin and golden hair marked him as a Northerner far from home. He scanned the room, the light from the morning sun reflecting off of the small trinkets worn in his long hair and beard. He seemed no worse for the wear after a night of carousing with the locals, listening to their stories and drinking mug after mug of the cheap ale that this place served. What he had heard troubled him. This was a city where hope was in short supply. Perhaps, he mused, this is why fate had lead him to this place, Nexus, an unlovely city of filth and poverty. Perhaps there was something he could do for these people.

Jarl moved towards the bar, where a pair of men were drinking; a tall, bronze-skinned man wearing an unfamiliar emblem and a slightly built fellow who, despite the early hour, wore dark goggles over his eyes. He leaned his tetsubo, currently covered by a leather traveling-cover that did not entirely hide it's mass and golden gleam, against the bar and gestured for the bartender. "Strong beer, friend, and a breakfast if you have it." As Jarl laid a rough-milled silver coin on the bar to pay for his meal, the massive Northerner turned to the two men beside him. It was obvious he had caught the tail-end of the conversation, though he did not know exactly what they were drinking too.

"If we are celebrating, then let me buy you both a round." The Northman's voice is a happy rumble, a voice meant for the alehouse and hearty celebration, for the battlefield and calls to arms, for the singing of dirges and victory songs. His River Speak is accented heavily with Skytounge, and would mark him as a foreigner even if his appearance did not. "A drink shared, even among strangers, is sweeter then the one you drink alone! Join me?" As the barkeep sets down a mug of brown beer and an unappetizing plate of camp-bread and hard cheese, Jarl gestured for him to refill the glasses, and raised his mug of beer in a toast, drinking deeply before breaking his fast.

Sallera
2010-11-02, 12:20 AM
The young woman sitting a short distance down the bar is currently engaged in resisting the temptation to taste the untouched ale in front of her. Tall and lean, her nut-brown skin and fine, wispy black hair speak to a mixed heritage, and she is dressed in slightly off-white cotton trousers and a loose long-sleeved shirt. A band of unadorned silver sits on her brow; simple ornament, no mark of station. The thin, hooked blades she wears at her sides have been wrapped in strips of heavy cloth, somewhat dampening their vicious appearance.

Samara stares into the mug of liquid in silence, watching the tiny ripples formed by her breath. What am I doing here? The Scavenger Lands were, she judged, the area likely to be most volatile in the wake of the Scarlet Dawn, and so she had made her way from port to port, leaving the remnants of the mess in Wavecrest behind, until she reached their heart. Whatever houses of cards were about to come crashing down, Nexus would be a good starting point to reach them in time to keep the aces upright. She rather regretted not having established any contacts with the Guild, but having to work for her information wasn't anything new. It was only chance that had led her to hear the howls from Firewander as she ate a cold breakfast before dawn, and even the bleary-eyed innkeep had seemed surprised. And so here she sat, listening, with a drink purchased more out of politeness than any desire for its contents.

This alehouse seemed to attract odd characters. A meeting place for some society, perhaps? Then again, they didn't seem overly familiar. She had never been on the best of terms with the pattern spiders before, but she was certainly missing having even a simple resplendent destiny at hand. She'd been mistaken for a stowaway twice on the way here, even, having to convince the captains to check their quartermasters' logs for her payment.

Painting the skies in her honour, huh? Well, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if she had something to do with it. She's always been an enigma... and she probably would consider removing all contact with Heaven to be a benefit. Something to keep in mind, I guess. Now, what am I to do with a Guild enforcer, a northern man-mountain, and a poor boy who looks halfway to drunkenness an hour past dawn? Well, maybe not that last one, but she preferred not to underestimate people. The possibility of renewed activity in the depths of Firewander, or even an outright assault, seemed like a poor prospect for the city. Even just walking through Sentinel's Hill had made it clear that it would prove a poor barrier if something were in the Wyld zone stirring up trouble. And while she doubted any serious harm would come to the city from such an event, it could prove rather unfortunate in the initial stages, and create exactly the kind of instability she was trying to prevent. Not to mention the additional suffering visited upon people that hardly needed any more.

Something had led her here, and that wasn't the kind of feeling she ignored. But, well, they weren't going anywhere quite yet; they only just got here, after all. A few minutes more couldn't hurt. And so she sits, and listens, and watches the ripples in the slowly flattening liquid, imagining the turbulence of waves meeting at cross-angles, and the weave of the Loom as the pattern spiders enjoyed one of the first reductions in work they'd had in centuries. Lucky bastards, really.

Cespenar
2010-11-02, 05:25 AM
In one of the corners of this reputable alehouse was another man, sipping his drink. He had worn clothes, short black hair, and nothing at all to make it worth a second glance. A tired look, hunched shoulders, probably just another worker spending the few money he has on a drink.

For Andras, the person underneath that man, the last month was interestingly dull. He would have thought that escaping from the heart of the Empire would be a bit more adventurous, but it was just about seeming mundane. And Andras was born mundane. He lived his life mundane, and if fate wouldn't have played a mighty trick on him, he was sure that he was going to die mundane.

But it did. Now, he was as far as a person can be from mundane. Still, he had to keep up the façade to survive, because even if he grew up to be a big fish now, the ocean was endless.

So he came to this place, the dirtiest place in the dirtiest city, drinking something that could be probably more dangerous to his health than the Dragon-blooded who were chasing him some time ago. Still, he couldn't help but feel happy. A slave for his life, the freedom that he now has was more thrilling to him than even his newfound powers. He had options now. Limited options, but still, options. He could choose. And fail, perhaps, though that was the beauty of it.

Of course, he wasn't planning on failing. Not while there were others like him, who were waiting to be given the power of possibilities.

With resolution, he chugged the rest of his drink in one go.

Argh. His first wrong choice.

Xefas
2010-11-02, 12:30 PM
"Um, Sure! Here, here." He'd meant to be boisterous, but hadn't entirely succeeded, being only sort of half-hearted with that last 'here'. Still, he drank with the blond slab of muscle and cheer. What the man said seemed to hold some manner of truth. Having others to drink with made it not so lonely an undertaking.

'And, by the looks of things, he's skilled in more ways than just folksy tavern wisdom.' thought the Virtuoso, ogling the not-expertly hidden tetsubo next to the bar. He'd meant to look at it out of the corner of his eye, but subtlety was rarely a strength of his, and after a few ales, this was doubly so. His pupils dilated slightly under his goggles for a moment.

Shooting my (non-Obvious) >Essence Dissecting Stare< at yon tetsubo. Costs me 4 (personal) motes, but I can make an Int+Occult check to figure out if it's an artifact and, if so, what dot-rating it is. It's Difficulty 2, and my pool is 10, so I'm reasonably sure I'll succeed. Still, I've never rolled dice on this forum before, what's the command to insert a die roll into my post?

Britter
2010-11-02, 01:10 PM
Jarl reached over and gave the slighter man a friendly salute with his mug before drinking about half the beer in a smooth gulp. Wiping his lips with the back of his hand, Jarl tore into the dry bread and stale cheese. As he ate he took smaller sips of the beer, to mask the taste of the food and help it go down easier. He talked while he ate, though not at the same time. Though he made his way through the small meal quickly, the manner in which he ate was surprisingly neat for a man of such barbaric apperance.

"Where I hail from, one always shares what they have, even with strangers on the road. In the deep of winter, when the snow falls thick and the cold rushes into your bones, the kindness of a stranger may be all that stands between you and death." The big man finishes his meal, gestures for another beer, drinks deeply. "So, consider yourself well met on the road friend, though all I have to give you is this swill playing at being beer", he said with a chuckle as he hefted his mug again. "I am Jarl, a traveler from the North. I drink to your health."

Xefas
2010-11-02, 01:32 PM
Virtuoso stared for a few moments at the massive club. A brief look of concern crossed his face. He knew what it was. Through his enhanced vision, he could see motes, and essence, and charms, and all manner of things. He could see the attuned motes bouncing around inside the tetsubo like so many glow-in-the-dark rubber bouncy-balls. He turned.

"What you say makes a lot of sense." he said raising his mug yet again, though it was nearly empty. "I'm pleased to meet you, Jarl. Though my birthname is no longer safe for me to speak of, as I'm certain is not unusual for any wanderer caught in Nexus, you may call me Virtuoso. It was a sort of...nickname I had.

With his gaze firmly set on this man; this "Jarl", he set his gaze a little more firmly. An unmistakable smile broadened across his face, replacing the grim face he'd worn all morning. Perhaps we could travel. Together? Where are you headed?"

Essence Dissecting Stare is hour-long, so I still got it running, and will take a gander at Jarl's Essence score.

Turalisj
2010-11-02, 01:37 PM
Ah, a northerner! Such rare folk! I will be glad to raise a toast, though not to the Scarlet Empress. She's got more than enough people bowing to her every whim, a few travellers in an alehouse in Nexus aren't going to make a difference! Tiger said, slamming his smoking mug into Jarl's, causing some flaming liquid to spill over with a fizzle. The name is Glorious Tiger pal. I come from the south myself. What brings you to the city between the Harlot's legs?

Britter
2010-11-02, 02:00 PM
"Well met to you both!" Jarl clanks glasses with the man known as Glorious Tiger. "I am a traveler, and something of an adventurer. Nexus is simply the most recent place that my feet have carried me to. I am not sure what my plans are while I am here in the city." The big Northerner's mirth and smile both fade slightly and a quiet, powerful note creeps into his voice as he continues, "What I have seen of this place, and the people who dwell here, however, makes me think that I will stay for a while, and see what may come my way."

Jarl brightens again, finishing his beer with a long swallow. "I am not sure when I will leave this place, Virtuouso, but you are welcome to travel with me if you wish. I would first see more of this city, however, and perhaps see if anyone has knowledge of why the Heavens themselves have turned red. If I am lucky, there will be great deeds to be done and my name will be remembered long after I am dead. If not, I will move on and seek my fortune elsewhere."

Jarl turns towards Glorious Tiger. "Are you a local, Tiger? You seem familiar with this city. What can you tell me of the goings on in Nexus?"

Turalisj
2010-11-02, 02:13 PM
Ah, I have come to live in Nexus in recent years, though "live" might be a strong phrase. I'm under employment by the Guild for various duties when they need a strong hand and an able warrior, he leaned in a bit closer and spoke a bit more quietly, and when they don't need the immaculate's hearing about it, if you get what I'm sayin.

Tiger leaned back again, slamming the mug on the bar, causing it to take. Ah, but I'm not one much into gossip. What I know is what I've heard from the merchants. Lesser gods, those who watch the roads and such, are freaked out by something. Monks are puffin their chests out more'n usual, claimin' a that with their queen's return, all Anathema will be purged.

But, if it's information about the city itself, I know just the place..... But you'll need two things.

Britter
2010-11-02, 02:59 PM
I myself pay little mind to the Immaculates and their boasts" Jarl rumbled quietly. "Tell me, what things I will need in order to learn more?"

Cespenar
2010-11-02, 03:08 PM
By the Unconquered Sun, they are a noisy lot.

Part of Andras was irritated - the three were dominating the alehouse with their loud voices and overall boisterousness, but another part of him was actually content to see such open mirth. Back in the workforce, such high morale was a very rare thing to see. Sure, people had managed to find joy even in small things, but the general air had always been one of grim acceptance. Part of him wanted to go and join them, just like that, but he suppressed the feeling. Involving was usually a risk.

Sallera
2010-11-02, 05:28 PM
A slight smile grows on Samara's face as she listens to the three talk. Waiting had been the right choice after all. So, the Northerner, Jarl, wanted adventure. That was pretty much a given, in the Wyld. The Virtuoso (of what, that drinking the day away is his recourse?) seemed to be after companionship. A Guild enforcer, especially with a name like that, would likely jump at the chance to bash a few deserving heads; she recalled that Nexus had rather strict laws about that, something in the Dogma about "wanton violence." But the number wasn't quite right; surely a meeting this auspicious would involve a more auspicious number?

She glances around the alehouse, her gaze locking on to the man huddled in the corner. There we are. He didn't look like much, but this was shaping up far too perfectly for her to put any trust in first impressions. An informant, perhaps, or an exile, but not insignificant; he didn't appear to be enjoying the drinks here any more than she was, for one. Well, the unknown was always hardest, so that was where she would start. She takes the untouched ale with her; she still didn't want to drink it, but to do otherwise would only make her look suspicious. More suspicious, anyway. Sidling through the mess of tables and stools, she seats herself across from the man, keeping her voice low as she addresses him.

"A bit enthusiastic for a place like this, aren't they?" She offers a small smile, poking at the handle of the mug. "You see their sort around here often?"

Turalisj
2010-11-02, 05:59 PM
Tiger held up a pair of fingers. One, you'll need jade, gold, or to put simply, money. Anything can be bought from the Guild with enough of it. Including my services.

He put down one finger. And two, you'll need someone of rank within the Guild, or you'll be waiting until your children's hairs have turned whiter than the Emmisary. The first is easy enough. And while I might be employed by them, the Guild does not offer me any special authority or pull.

He leaned back onto the counter a bit. However, I can try and get you to see my patron. If anything, just being in the hallways will bound to turn up some gossip.

Cespenar
2010-11-02, 06:23 PM
Andras looks up from his drink to the young woman who just happened to drop by. Taking as much of her as one glance can manage, he smiles back.

Relax, she couldn't have seen you through.

"I think it's a nice change, their enthusiasm," he says. His voice is relatively soft, barely above a whisper, but just as inaudible. He sighs.

"But no, the people around here are usually a lot more silent, and much less friendly. Makes men like them stand out."

He gets up lazily and dusts himself off. Looking curiously at the drink in front of the woman, he smirks.

"I'm going to get a refill. I would offer to get you one too, but I see you haven't touched yours to begin with. I can say that you are a smarter person than I am."

Britter
2010-11-02, 07:01 PM
Jarl snorts in amusement at Glorious Tiger's explanation. "I have some money, but not enough to inspire a Guild-man to pass on his secrets. However, I am grateful for your offer of assistance. Perhaps if my fortunes change, I will seek you out. But for now, I must sadly pass." Jarl shoulders the leather-clad tetsubo with one hand, exerting no apparent effort as he lifts the weapon from where it had been resting on the bar. He extends his hand to Glorious Tiger, saying "I thank you for sharing a drink with me, friend. I suspect that you and I will meet again, before I leave Nexus. Till then, may the Sun warm you and blind your foe."

Jarl turned towards his other drinking partner as he prepared to leave. "What say you Virtuoso? Shall we go out onto the streets of Nexus and see what we can find? Surely something more interesting awaits us out in this city than at the bottom of your glass! Come, let us seek out a quest suitable for two such as ourselves. If a nameless wanderer and an outlander can find no adventure in such a place as this, there is more wrong with creation then a little red sunlight." Jarl laughed, a hearty sound as joyful and large as he was, and as equally out of place here in the Unicorn's Horn. He waited for Virtuoso's response, his attitude that of a man who expected to step out the door and right into some great event lifted from the pages of myth.

Xefas
2010-11-02, 07:43 PM
Virtuoso stood up with a certain confidence. Not only was he invigorated by this turn of events, and a direction to proceed in, but he was also quite eager to be outside, just in case the feelings in his stomach turned out to be less Hope-related and more Vomit-related.

"Yes, lets. At the very least, I'm sure we'll have much to talk about." 'Much indeed', he thought. The Essence this man had command of marked him as a demon, a god, a Dragonblood, or an anathema. Several of those options would be helpful, and all of them interesting. At the very least, his imposing presence would discourage confrontation, should Virtuoso run into prior acquaintances.

Sallera
2010-11-02, 07:59 PM
Well, that was two questions answered. He was a regular, the others weren't. Not to mention he'd as much as admitted he wasn't here for the drinks; 'informant' was looking likely. She grins as he heads for the bar, but doesn't have time to be content in her efficiency before Jarl gets up to leave. Agh, already? But I haven't figured out this one yet... why does it always end up this way? Well, naught for it.

Leaving her spot as quickly as she'd entered it, Samara makes her way over to the two before they can get away, trying her best to look expectant rather than desperate. "If you'll excuse me overhearing, I may be able to help you with that. There's an interesting matter I'd intended to look into today, and I wouldn't mind a little company."

Turalisj
2010-11-02, 08:02 PM
I think I'll tag along with you three if ya don't mind. I don't have an assignment for a week or so, so I've got plenty of free time.

Xefas
2010-11-02, 08:10 PM
As the woman in white bolts towards them, Virtuoso physical recoils in shock with an audible "Urk!", offering no useful answer to her question, but, rather, eying her suspiciously, as one might gaze cautiously at a friend's pet snake. No matter how many times they tell you he's domesticated, you are acutely aware that it is in the nature of snakes to bite.

Britter
2010-11-02, 08:47 PM
"You are welcome to join us Tiger. It is your city, so if we fail to find excitement, you can at least show us where to find a good meal."

The unexpected interruption by the tall, brown-skinned woman catches Jarl just as he is about to head out the door. However, the Northman takes it in stride, turning his hearty smile on the new comer. "Only a fool turns down assistance freely offered. Please, accompany us. I can not speak for my friends, but I would be glad to lend you my assistance in resolving your matter as compensation for you taking the time to help us. I am called Jarl, a traveler from the North." Jarl extends his hand to the woman by way of greeting. An observer might conclude from this display that he was naive, willing to trust people without any evidence to support that trust. But for Jarl, it was a conscious decision to meet people with an attitude of friendship and openness. He was confident, not only in his belief that everyone deserved an opportunity to prove themselves worthy of trust, but also in his ability to defend himself from those who would abuse his trust.

As the group filed out of the small bar, Jarl hung back, gesturing for the attention of the bartender. As the bartender came by, Jarl laid out a few more coins, more than enough to buy a dozen meals at a place like this. With quiet sincerity, he speaks in a voice pitched low enough that only the barkeep can hear it. "If any come by your tavern today in need of food but with no money to pay, feed them. This should be enough to cover your expenses." The words are driven by the power of the Unconquered Sun to move the hearts of men, even one as jaded as this. Jarl knew that he might go hungry today, having given the bartender the silver that would have bought lunch and dinner, but others who had gone for longer without nourishment would get bread. To the Sun-Crowned Mountain, a days hunger and a few silver were a small price to pay to help others. This action may be tiny, but other actions would follow, like pebbles that start a rock-slide. As Jarl walked out of the Unicorn to follow the others, he smiled broadly in the morning sun.

Sallera
2010-11-02, 09:14 PM
Samara accepts the grip with a slight bow. "I am Samara Nayin." Releasing Jarl's hand, she casts a quick glance at the Virtuoso, a mixture of pity and curiosity. A strange reaction; the poor boy was likely on the run from someone or other. The drink probably hadn't helped. Well, she'd accomplished the easy part, at any rate. Now to hope her intuition hadn't led her wrong.

"And unless I miss my guess," she calls to the quiet man, "you'll find more of interest accompanying us than sitting here, if you're up for a stroll through the neighbourhood." With a nod, she heads outside, waiting to see if he'd follow. Please work, please work, please work...

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-02, 09:35 PM
As you leave the Unicorn's Horn, a small child whose skin is full of festering blisters and does not quite appear to have evaded the Wyld's touch runs out from the Wyld zone of Firewander. "It's a monster! It's coming this way! Run for your lives!" he screams, in a barely intelligible terror. As he runs, the chilling howl draws nearer and nearer, making anyone awake flee in fear. The thunder and flames of Firewander grow even more furious as the howl approaches, and soon, three silver eyes glow within the shadows of the district, staring at you. A cackling laughter follows, as if daring you to come closer.

Sallera
2010-11-02, 09:51 PM
Already? Good thing I had a light breakfast... Samara eyes the creature, which didn't exactly seem eager to leave the Wyld zone. "As you might have guessed," she says, trying to keep her voice level, "this would be the errand I had in mind for us, but it seems to have pre-empted me." She draws both blades, but leaves the cloth wrapping on as she breathes in deeply, then out with a soft sigh. "Shall we go meet it?"

Xefas
2010-11-02, 10:01 PM
For the second time today, Virtuoso found himself unable to articulate proper words. He reacted with a "Gaaaahk!" at the approaching beast, and an "ACK!" at drawn swords, taking a flying leap backward, behind the group.

His first instinct was for self-preservation. However, his second was, in this instance, protecting the innocent. Coward though he was, he was not a heartless coward. He made to snatch up the disgusting child and duck back into the Unicorn's Horn to get both of them some cover to hide in for the time being. He had a feeling Jarl could handle this, even if those other mortals were majorly screwed.

Britter
2010-11-02, 10:01 PM
As the apparition approached, the blond giant turned grim, his visage becoming that of a craggy, foreboding mountain. He began to stride forward, directly towards the glowing eyes. Yes," he says, his voice deep and rumbling with the coming of the battle fury, his blue eyes flashing like thunder, "we should meet it indeed."

Turalisj
2010-11-02, 10:41 PM
Well then, Tiger said, reaching into the pack at his back and drawing a pair of large golden gauntlets, a sunburst etched into the back of each, let's get going shall't we? As he spoke, golden sparks of essence burst from his skin, crackling with a holy light.

Rolling his shoulders and cracking his neck, Glorious Tiger subtly shifted into a fighting form. To the untrained eye, he seemed to become oddly relaxed. To the trained eye, he was slowly shifting his stance and moving his body to produce the maximum impact of any blow.

Cespenar
2010-11-03, 04:00 AM
Andras watched the woman as she tagged behind the trio, and actually lifted a surprised eyebrow when she asked him to follow, promising... interest? Cross-matching the possibilities of his and her identities, Andras couldn't seem to have found a satisfying reason that would make her say such a thing.

Perhaps she is some kind of a protector, a vigilante, and thought of me as someone competent enough to help? Hmm.

As he shrugged and raised himself from his seat, the scream echoed from outside into the inn and around. And the howl. Things were certainly drawing out to be interesting. He walked to the door and extended his head to watch the large men (and the woman too!) boldly drawing weapons to meet the... whatever that is that stood out there.

But wait. The southerner was emanating some kind of golden light. And he was sure he heard the northerner praise the Sun not a minute ago. What was happening?

As the man called himself the Virtuoso grabbed the Wyld-stricken child and rushed past beside him, Andras turns to him, inserting a bit of forced horror into his otherwise curious voice.

"What is that thing out there? And they, are they really planning to meet it head first?"

Xefas
2010-11-03, 04:46 PM
Putting the child down next to him in the relative safety of the tavern, Virtuoso spoke with no small hint of fear "I haven't the slightest clue what it is, but it's not human and it looks hungry. That's good enough reason to run for cover!"

Maybe things would've been different, he thought, if the Yozi had chosen to bless him with a little more firepower. And maybe things would be different if he hadn't only recently been murdered. But things weren't different, and for now, this was the best he could do.

He lay a hand on the boy, and was silent for a moment. Subtle and unseen, a stream of pure essence personifying Order and Perfection flowed through his hand and into the unfortunate lad. Once inside, it began to slowly rearrange his corrupted essence matrices back to their original forms.

"Help me barricade the door?" he asked quizzically, both to Andras and the barkeep, holding a chair aloft as an example, and gesturing towards the entrance.

Cespenar
2010-11-03, 06:09 PM
Andras eyes the Virtuoso with interest. The man didn't seem as overly confident (and unusual too, in some ways) as the three out there, but he did go out of his way to save the kid after all.

As he sees the man trying to barricade the entrance, however, Andras shakes his head.

"I believe, whatever that can beat those people out there, wouldn't mind that a piece of wood or two is blocking its way," he says, politely putting a hand on the chair in the Virtuoso's hand and lowering it down if he lets him.

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-10, 11:50 AM
Slowly, the creature walks out into the light, showing a writhing mass of fur and flesh, standing on four strong, clawed legs. It doesn't appear like any natural animal you know of, but its eyes glitter with a keen intellect and its howl carries a mad understanding of bloodshed. Beneath the growling and the sound of its flesh flowing like tentacles and blood, you can hear something that vaguely sounds like "golden meat".

Hulkingly, but definitively, the beast walks towards you, two fanged extensions flailing away at the air in front of it.

Turalisj
2010-11-14, 03:10 AM
Glorious Tiger was the first to act. With a loud shout that sounded more like the roar of the animal from which he get's his name, the dawn caste surged forward. As he charged, he dug a gauntleted hand into the ground, ripping up the street in a surge of essence.

As he approached the beast, he made as if to strike with his elbow, pivoting on the balls of his feet. Using the momentum from that, Tiger brought his left fist around for an attack, striking towards the largest mass of the creature.

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-14, 11:55 AM
The beast dodges Tiger's blows by flowing away from his body like a mass of liquid goo, and lunges at him with a clumsily swiped claw that swooshes through the air powerfully, but fails to come close at the Lightbringer.

Britter
2010-11-14, 02:06 PM
Jarl tears the cover from his tetsubo with a swift motion. The early morning sun spills over the great golden weapon, flashing like fire across it's length. The Northerner sweeps the weapon back behind him as he lunges forward at the beast. Jarl seems unstoppable and massive as he charges, a boulder rolling down a hill, and woe betide those caught in it's path. The trailing head of his weapon strikes sparks from the cobblestones. With a final burst of energy and a rumbling battle-shout, the warrior launches a mighty stroke, sweeping the tetsubo upwards in a crushing blow that gouges a three-foot gash in the street as his massive club smashes into the amorphous foe.

Sallera
2010-11-14, 04:57 PM
Stepping lightly along the street, Samara advances with arms spread and blades pointed forward and down, briefly shaking her head at the unnecessary property damage inflicted by her companions. The crane found grace in flight, but for the unwinged, leaving the ground is a statement of direction and purpose, and so she glides low to the ground as she enters the creature's reach, ducking under Jarl's upraised weapon and twisting on the balls of her feet to deliver a spinning blow from her left blade to the side of the creature's face. Despite the speed of the strike, the cloth wrappings remain in place, seemingly belying the sharpness of the blade beneath. Continuing her dance around to the creature's left, she hooks its flailing weapon with her other blade, brushing it away from her face as she finishes the whirling movement by driving the hilt of the first blade into its ribs - or, at least, where its ribs should be, if it has any - with a murmured "Sleep."

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-16, 01:25 PM
The beast growls in pain as Jarl's hammer strikes true and splatters the beast to several hundred pieces, which reconstitute into a strange gathering of claws and fangs a second later. As Samara slashes with her hooked blades, however, the strange form simply oozes around the starmetal, while a silver crescent starts burning at the center of the conglomeration.

Turalisj
2010-11-17, 02:47 PM
With another mighty roar, Tiger threw his fists into the beast as his body arced bolts of essence. Using the first two blows to launch himself into the air, he spun as he came back down, throwing another punch at the creature to spin him around, giving him the chance for a fourth blow.

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-20, 11:38 AM
The beast recoils with a shriek through its fangs, as the mighty fist of Tiger causes it to bleed a black sap. It then sheds its weapons and grows green feathers in their place, turning into a mutated monster vaguely similar to a tiger, but with avian features. Lunging forward, it gets its teeth into Tiger's skin and knocks him down to the ground. With eyes burning a tarnished silver, it runs back into Firewander, laughing wildly even in its defeated state.

Britter
2010-11-20, 12:20 PM
As the creature retreats, Jarl extends a hand to Glorious Tiger, assisting him in rising. "A blow well struck Tiger. Truly, you are deserving of your name." The big man turns towards Samara with a questioning look on his face. "Should we pursue the creature? If it returned and we were not around to drive it back, many of the people here could be killed. I do not relish the thought of venturing into the Wyld after it, but I would rather see such a perversion vanquished then risk it's untimely return." Jarl let the butt of his great golden tetsubo rest on the ground as he turned back towards the Firewander, watching the beast vanish into it's embrace.

Cespenar
2010-11-20, 04:54 PM
With the beast gone and danger averted, Andras leaves the alehouse and makes his way to the trio, carefully glancing around once in a while.

He gazes at Samara for a moment, then turns to Jarl and Tiger. His eyes linger on their tetsubo and gauntlets for some time, and while still looking at them, he speaks.

"That was... very impressive of you," he says, addressing the whole three. He looks genuinely impressed, but a hint of intrigue is also visible in his face.

"I'm just curious about something though, might it be by any chance that those weapons are, uh, orichalcum?" he drops the mention as if in a light conversation, his tone mostly casual.

Turalisj
2010-11-20, 04:59 PM
Tiger took Jarl's hand, using it to help leverage himself up. The bite marks on his arm had already sealed themselves up, leaving only shredded cloth as a reminder that there was even combat. Tiger let out a deep breath, calming himself and relaxing out of his fighting readiness. "Thank you, Jarl. Your skill with the Tetsubo is to be admired, though my own training has conditioned me for a more..personal approach to fighting."

Tiger turned to Andras, "yes, these gauntlets are crafted from orichalcum. What is your interest to them?"

Sallera
2010-11-20, 05:19 PM
Samara watches the creature retreat, briefly wondering what the chances of tracking it down were now that it knew them. A Lunar... and, unless I'm greatly mistaken, that was a Waning Moon caste mark. How that's possible, I'll not pretend to know. It's been centuries since... but that's not important, yet. What is its grudge against Nexus?

Tucking her blades back through her sash, she folds both hands into the ends of her sleeves, concealing her secretary as it scuttles down her arm and vanishes with instructions to find the Lunar's name. Not that she expected anyone to be watching for dematerialized beings, but best not to take chances. Her expression is pensive as she turns back to the others, although it quickly turns to a frown as she sees Tiger's wounds. "Sorry. Are you alright? I must admit, that wasn't quite what I was expecting to find."

She glances back into Firewander, wondering what else was waiting in there. "I think we need to follow it. Find out what it's after, at least. Finding it in there might be difficult, though, if it doesn't want to be found. I don't want anyone else to get hurt because of this, but..." She looks over at Andras speculatively. "You said you were from around here, right? I don't suppose you've any idea where we might go looking for something hiding in Firewander?"

Xefas
2010-11-20, 05:45 PM
After Andras deems it safe enough to go, Virtuoso follows shortly after. The rapidly unwyldificating and tentatively nicknamed Timmy not far behind.

He had been watching the fight with interest, his Essence-Dissecting Stare charm giving him a far better show than anyone else had witnessed. It was like a fireworks display.

"That..." he said with slightly reduced anxiety, "...was pretty good. I'm surprised you guys don't know each other. I mean, what are the odds you'd all...errr, we'd all end up in the same crappy alehouse."

Even as he said this, he looked at Samara with notable discomfort. "If you're going after that thing, do you mind if I tag along?"

Britter
2010-11-20, 07:05 PM
At Virtuoso's approach, Jarl turns to the smaller man and claps him heartily on the shoulder. "That was good work, helping the child. You may not be a fighter my friend, but you are a valiant man nonetheless. I would be glad to have you accompany us against that creature."

In response to Andras, Jarl nods. "This is the Righteous Hand of the Mountain, and it is indeed orichalcum. It is a mighty weapon, and has seen me through battles far more difficult than this one." The big man smiles, then address Samara.

"I will follow you Samara, and we will end this threat. Lead on when you are ready." Jarl's voice is an eager rumble. His friends had drawn first blood, and he was eager to bring the fight to the foe, and end it decisively.

Cespenar
2010-11-20, 07:33 PM
Here's to dropping the ball, then.

"My interest," he says slowly, eyeing Tiger, "... would be in you. You are, if I'm not mistaken, servants of the Unconquered Sun, or as some might call, 'Anathema'. Am I right in assuming so?"

Though he tries to keep a matter of fact tone of voice, he seems a little tense.

Sallera
2010-11-20, 07:55 PM
Samara nods to Virtuoso from behind the others, wondering what it was about her that bothered the boy so. Perhaps she should simply ask. "If you're willing to face the danger, I don't mind. Be cautious, though; if there is one thing this creature won't be, it's predictable."

She falls silent as Andras speaks, however, waiting for the others to respond. Regardless of whether he was right - and it did seem likely, from what she'd seen and heard - that he would have noticed and spoken of it in the terms he had meant that their little expedition might have a fifth member after all.

Britter
2010-11-22, 10:40 PM
Jarl turned to Andras. "Anathema? Some may call me that, but they speak from fear and ignorance, having long ago been mislead."

He stands straighter as he speaks, his voice full of quiet determination and power. There is a momentary flash of gold on his brow, as disk of light marking him as one of the Zenith Caste. The mighty Northman's anima flares briefly, a great mountain rising around him, reflecting the bright light of the sun.

"I am the Sun-Crowned Mountain, faithful servant of the Unconquered Sun himself. I have come here to aid the people of Nexus, and to show them that the Light of the Sun will stand in their defense, and that they have the strength to stand against those who would oppress them and lead them astray. If you consider me Anathema, so be it. All I ask is that you judge me by my deeds, and not by the lies of the Immaculates."

Turalisj
2010-11-22, 11:05 PM
Here's to dropping the ball, then.

"My interest," he says slowly, eyeing Tiger, "... would be in you. You are, if I'm not mistaken, servants of the Unconquered Sun, or as some might call, 'Anathema'. Am I right in assuming so?"

Though he tries to keep a matter of fact tone of voice, he seems a little tense.

Tiger nodded, some have called my anathema, though only in hushed tones. Being the favored enforcer of one of the Guild Hierarches isn't without it's advantages.... or disadvantages. What of you? Is sol Invictus your master, or should I save us all future trouble and snap your neck now?

Cespenar
2010-11-23, 02:32 AM
Andras grins slightly as he hears his presumptions validated. Of course, there was also the other two, and the woman still had the off-chance possibility of being an Immaculate, but the assurance of the two mighty Solar before him gave him the hope and resolve he needed.

His grin widening, Andras takes a step forward to the large figure of Tiger, closing the distance between his neck and the latter's hands.

"Well, you could do that," he says sarcastically to the Dawn, "But I hardly think the Unconquered Sun would want his children to fight each other."

He throws an apologetic glance at Samara, as this act would put an end to their little guessing game (one part of it anyway), and with a breath, lets his Caste mark shine brightly for any of them to see - the golden ring of the Night Caste.

Still grinning, he offers his hands to both Tiger and Mountain. "The name is Andras. 'One of the Many' some had called me in the past as well, but Andras rolls better off the tongue, I think."

Sallera
2010-11-23, 03:24 AM
Samara allows herself the smallest of smirks as the pieces of the chance meeting start falling into place. This impromptu circle was certainly a much more powerful force than she'd expected to have the aid of, if she could make use of it. It really was starting to make her wonder what was wrong with the Virtuoso, however. Was he perhaps knowledgeable enough to suspect the Solars before they were revealed? But then again, he'd been eager to travel with Jarl - it was her he seemed to worry about. She shakes her head slightly, acknowledging Andras with a small bow. Time enough for such questions later, now that Jarl had announced their presence to half the district.

"Well, if you Sun-children are finished with the displays, we should move before we start attracting unnecessary attention. We don't want to lead anyone here to serve as easy prey for our quarry. Unless you, too, have some important revelation?" This last she directs at the Virtuoso with a wry smile.

Turalisj
2010-11-23, 11:59 AM
"If we stand around here for too long, we might end up becoming quarry ourselves. Let's either get to chasing after it, or get indoors." Tiger said, wrapping cloth around his gauntlets to try and hide their golden gleam.

Britter
2010-11-23, 12:11 PM
Jarl gathered up his tetsubo's cover, replacing it as the glow of his power slowly dissapated.

"Agreed. I am ready."

Xefas
2010-11-23, 01:54 PM
Virtuoso makes a concerted effort to turn and pretend to be looking at something else as he answered Samara. No, no revelation for me. Just a drunken bystander unwittingly swept up in your whirlwind misadventure. Don't...uh, don't pay any attention to me. Unless something jumps out of the shadows and attacks me. Then please pay lots of attention to me. I'm all soft and-" he made writhing gestures with his fingers, "-squishy. You know us normal folk."

It wasn't that Virtuoso wasn't in world-shaking awe that he'd randomly run into not one, but possibly four God-Kings in a pub. It's just that he'd already been working through that particular excitement and figuring out what to do about it while they'd been carving up that big mutant. His first instinct had been to run, but he figured that would be suspicious. And he was kind of scared of being suspicious in Tiger's general proximity. Plus, Jarl seemed like a nice guy and Virtuoso figured he'd be safer with him anyway than anywhere else.

"So, yeah. Lets go."

Sallera
2010-11-23, 04:29 PM
"I'd say you should try and relax, but being on edge will probably be to your benefit in there." Samara sighs lightly. "Just try not to wear yourself out worrying, alright?"

"Andras, would you care to guide us? We may first have to see if it will come to us."

Turalisj
2010-11-23, 04:30 PM
Tiger narrowed his eyes and scratched his chin with a guantleted hand for a moment, letting out a huff. If you say so. Then it would be best that you just stay here, or better yet get out of here as soon as possible. Where we'll end up going is no place for a mortal, especially someone as frail as yourself. I've been around wyld tainted places before. It's no walk in the park, and you'll end up with your stomach hanging from your crotch- if you're lucky enough for that to happen.

Britter
2010-11-23, 05:16 PM
Jarl shakes his head gently at Glorious Tiger's statement. "If one is brave enough to venture into the Wyld, mortal or not, I will welcome the company. Even the mighty can find themselves unmanned when faced with such a thing." The big man looks towards the rolling boil of the Firewander, preparing himself for the challenge to come. There is no fear in his eyes, but his comment acknowledges the danger imherent in this task. "For all we know, it will be Virtuoso who saves us in there. He has already proven himself brave in the face of fear. Strength of arms is not the only judge of a man's worth."

There is no condescension in Jarl's voice. He is sincere, and it is obvious that he expects the slim man to be able to carry his own weight, but that he also doesn't expect Virtuoso to fight off a horde of Wyld mutants.

"Just watch your back Virtuoso. If it gets rough, we might not be able to cover you, so be careful." Jarl's advice is delivered in a friendly tone, man-to-man. He gives the slim fellow a friendly smile, and then continues towards the Wyld.

Xefas
2010-11-23, 05:35 PM
Virtuoso grinned broadly at Jarl's words. It was good to know that, among the five of them, one person was confident in him. Heh. "See, Tiger? No need to be a Negative Nancy. Besides, I'm no stranger to the Wyld. I must've read at least a dozen books on the subject. It's not so scary once you understand what it is." In truth, none of the authors of those books had understood what the Wyld really was. It was not until after his Exaltation that he'd truly comprehended what pure Chaos meant. His demonic tutors had made certain of that. They'd even made sure he knew at least one trick for taking apart the Fair Folk mote-by-mote, in case Hell had reason to send him against their most hated foes. The irony.

Cespenar
2010-11-23, 05:38 PM
Andras looks curiously at Virtuoso, wondering what would make a regular person to so easily dare the dangers of the Wyld. Still, mortals were a resourceful bunch, and any Solar should know better than to look down on them, for they had exalted from one just as well.

Withholding that train of thought for now, Andras nods at Samara and (if no one objects) takes point, leading them into the Wyld.

Turalisj
2010-11-24, 07:06 PM
Virtuoso grinned broadly at Jarl's words. It was good to know that, among the five of them, one person was confident in him. Heh. "See, Tiger? No need to be a Negative Nancy. Besides, I'm no stranger to the Wyld. I must've read at least a dozen books on the subject. It's not so scary once you understand what it is." In truth, none of the authors of those books had understood what the Wyld really was. It was not until after his Exaltation that he'd truly comprehended what pure Chaos meant. His demonic tutors had made certain of that. They'd even made sure he knew at least one trick for taking apart the Fair Folk mote-by-mote, in case Hell had reason to send him against their most hated foes. The irony.

"It isn't about reading about it in books. You can read about war all you want and still run away scared, a trail of piss behind you. It's about having the physical capability to endure the Wyld and the things that inhabit it." Having finished wrapping his gauntlets, Tiger stretched his muscles, the sounds of tendons popping being very audible. "Let's get going. When we reach a place where something seems out of the ordinary, like black ichor staining the ground, you'll know we've reached it."

Sallera
2010-11-27, 04:34 PM
It seemed fairly obvious that the Virtuoso was hiding something. But she had a few ideas already about what that might be, and none of them seemed particularly important at the moment. Time enough to find out later; whatever he was running from, it wasn't likely to find them in Firewander.

Samara studies the ground as they walk, hoping but not expecting to find much. Her best hope was that it would simply not have cared enough to cover its tracks, but anything with an animal spirit seemed unlikely to be that incautious. Unless, of course, it were trying to lure them in. That was her other plan - that it would come to them. It would be easier if she knew its name; such a promise of prior association could often go a long way to alleviating the suspicions of certain types. As it was, she lacked any effective way to call to it.

"I would not trust that this one will leave a blood trail. We'll likely need to watch for more mundane signs of passage."

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-29, 11:48 AM
You walk into the Wyld zone, following the trail left by the beast. Fortunately, it has been less than subtle in its retreat, and has left a path open within the rubble of Firewander. When you look up to the sky, golden flames and smoke hide where there was once a dome visible. The buildings around you are a study in anachronism: while some are quite modern buildings beneath the outgrowth of stone plants, a few, untouched by the Wyld, seem to be unlike any a mortal has set eyes on. As you walk through the district, you have a feeling that you are being watched.

Turalisj
2010-11-29, 01:36 PM
Am I the only one who has an uneasy feeling about this? Tiger said, his fists clenching. Quickly, he scanned the houses around them, looking for anything that might even seem like a pair of eyes watching them.

Sallera
2010-11-29, 01:54 PM
Desolate as Firewander was, the Wyld zone had its own sort of subtle beauty. Samara brushes a hand over a stone leaf, dislodging a puff of dust, and takes note of a few other places where the creature seemed to have done the same. The district's namesake flames often catch her attention as well, drifting through the sky. But Tiger was right - there did seem to be some indescribable quality to the air, that silent tension that bespoke a watcher unseen. She wouldn't be surprised if the Lunar had already doubled back as a bird or somesuch, but there were no doubt other things in here to beware. A little subtle discouragement couldn't hurt.

A brief warding sign invokes a small protection, and she scans the buildings around them. "Are you the one we seek, or have we simply trespassed?" she murmurs, half to herself.

Britter
2010-11-29, 02:19 PM
Jarl is quiet as he follows behind Samara. He scans the area around him, wondering a little at the strange sights before him. The tetsubo rests on his shoulder, still covered, as he walks easily. The big man makes sure to keep Virtuoso near the center of the group, so that he doesn't get picked off by an ambush.

Cespenar
2010-11-29, 04:16 PM
Andras walks forward with keen eyes examining the unfamiliar surroundings. The place was surely somewhere one might come to see sights, and if they were in a different situation, Andras might have let his guard down a bit and examine them more closely.

Not now, however. Wyld zones spelled danger, pure and simple, even for a Solar, and he had to keep sharp. Concentrating for a moment, Andras invokes a charm to bolster and preserve his whole being - one which would hopefully ward off against possible Wyld effects.

Xefas
2010-11-29, 04:32 PM
Virtuoso strolled along with his hands in two of the pockets of his coat. Had he thought to, he might've joined in with the others to look out for an ambush, but as it was, with his Essence Sight, the swirling patterns of the Wyld were like staring into some otherworldly kaleidoscope. He could see causality bending and twisting, becoming more of a guideline than a rule, right before his eyes.

The only thing that broke his interest was the sudden illumination of a net of Essence springing into existence only a few feet from him. It wrapped itself defensively around Samara. That made sense, he thought, glancing around at everyone's obviously glowing panoply of artifacts. She's the only one without armor. He wondered if, when Andras had blurted out that bit about Orichalcum, and they'd all taken a gander at one anothers' weapons, if anyone had noticed that her stuff was different - or if they could even notice such a thing in the first place.

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-03, 05:52 PM
Virtuoso notes that, as they enter the Wyld zone, the chaotic Essence of the place reacts to the presence of the five sapients by flaring up in iridescence. Most Exalted savants know about how the Wyld twists itself to fit the expectations and desires of mortals, Exalts and spirits alike, and it is as if the Wyld Essence leans in closer to sniff you, but as your senses settle down, the iridescence slowly becomes swirls of grayscale and allows you to see the physical world as it is, rather than as the chaos insists it should be.

The others, on the other hand, focus their senses on what their eyes and ears can perceive. The surroundings are peculiarly devoid of smell, and nothing else noteworthy strikes your attention - except for the painful howls coming from deeper within Firewander.

Sallera
2010-12-03, 07:12 PM
Well, if we have a tail, then so be it, I suppose. We've still further to go, from the sound of it, and they may well get bored or reveal themselves before journey's end. The Wyld zone was making Samara feel rather like a figurine in a sculpture garden, with its sterile scent and stone plants. The unnatural sky didn't help much, either.

"I suppose there aren't many denizens of this place we wouldn't look strange to," she remarks as the silence stretches out. "But it sounds like our appointment lies further ahead."

Cespenar
2010-12-04, 02:30 AM
Andras nods silently at Samara as they continue through chaotic zone. He tries to sniff the air a couple times suspiciously, wondering if something is wrong with his nose, and turns to have a look at the others and see if they are experiencing the same thing.

"Have you been to places like this before?" he asks the woman, wondering if her first remark was one of common sense or actual experience.

Turalisj
2010-12-04, 03:21 AM
"Don't bother checking the air. The Wyld does not work in ways any mortal would understand. Having the strength of will to bend and break it to your desires is the best you can hope for. Or that anything bigger than you doesn't take notice." Tiger noted from his own experience into the Wyld, "though, to be honest, my own experience is limited. I've been in the Wyld only once before. Anyway, it sounds like our quarry is ahead."

Britter
2010-12-04, 12:01 PM
Jarl follows along, keeping a watchful eye on his surroundings. "I have never been in the Wyld before. But I am sure that we will be able to overcome it, working together." There is quiet confidence in his voice.

Sallera
2010-12-04, 03:07 PM
Samara nods, trying to gauge the direction of the sound. There was little guarantee it wouldn't be distorted, in a place like this, although aside from the wandering flames, the district seemed fairly stable thus far. "A few times. Always an interesting journey; you certainly need never fear for mundanity. Fearing mundanity, on the other hand..."

Turalisj
2010-12-04, 03:25 PM
"Reminds me of an old Southern Proverb.... May you live in interesting times...." The dawn caste said, laughing a bit, "well, the times certainly are interesting. Whether we can live through them or not is another thing."

Cespenar
2010-12-04, 06:10 PM
Andras vaguely smiles at the general feelings behind the answers. Morale was high, even in a place such as this, though he wasn't sure if the reason behind this stemmed from their own personalities or the fact that they had the power to deal with most of the dangers they could face. Or a mix of both.

"A curious thing to say," he replies to the Dawn, his smile persisting. "Is it intended as a blessing or a curse?"

Sallera
2010-12-06, 04:26 PM
"I suppose that would depend on the philosophy of the speaker. Really, though, I don't think the times are ever less than interesting. Not everyone sees it, but..." Samara shrugs, gesturing at the surroundings. "You don't usually need to look very far."

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-08, 08:41 AM
You follow the trail of rubble left by the beast for sometime before coming to a clearing of granite blades of grass where the flames in the sky turn purple rather than golden. Things around you seem more fluid than earlier, and the feeling that you are being watched grows more intense. Leading outside the clearing are five paths of rubble, other than the one that you followed. The howl of the beast grows louder, but there is also something that sounds more human and intelligible deeper within Firewander. Those of you who know Old Realm recognize it as a cry for help.

Sallera
2010-12-08, 02:37 PM
Samara comes to an abrupt halt, perched carefully on the stone field. Someone's calling... but why in Old Realm? Who are they calling to? Closing her eyes, she ignores the sense of the watcher, focusing instead on the sounds, and turns to face each of the paths, trying to determine which call is coming from where, and whether they are together.

"Someone's calling for help. Given the language they're using, I don't know who or from whom, but..." She frowns in concentration, slipping a hand inside her sleeve. But we really ought to find out. I don't want to lose a chance to talk to a Waning Moon any more than I want to see it hurt anyone else.

Britter
2010-12-08, 02:49 PM
"If there is someone nearby who needs help, we should find them and lend them aid." Jarl appears eager to head towards the cries, even though he doesn't understand the words. He restrians himself, looking towards his companions and waiting to see what they choose to do.

Turalisj
2010-12-08, 02:51 PM
"And when that someone turns out to be the monster we are chasing, or worse, we beat it until it stops resisting." Tiger remarked.

Britter
2010-12-08, 03:05 PM
Jarl chuckles at Glorious Tiger's remark. "Yes, that is the way of things when you are an adventurer."

Cespenar
2010-12-08, 04:09 PM
Andras pauses with the rest of the group even if he doesn't understand the meaning behind the cry. When explained, he simply nods once and waits while Samara tries to deduce the source of the sound.

Hearing the conversation between Tiger and Jarl, he smirks.

"You must have led an uncomplicated life, Tiger," he says. "I can't help but envy you."

Turalisj
2010-12-08, 04:12 PM
"Uncomplicated huh? If you call being a slave for most of your life simple, then sure." Tiger said, giving a chuckle, "Now let's get going. We have a monster to hunt."

Cespenar
2010-12-08, 04:41 PM
"Sure it's simple," Andras mumbles back with a look a bit too knowing. "Backbreaking work and an overall worthlessness. There."

Sallera
2010-12-11, 01:38 AM
Samara raises an eyebrow, but declines to comment. Working out a way to speak to the Lunar before everyone involved started trying to kill each other again might be difficult. For now, however, she compares the path chosen by the stone for reaching the location of the one in distress to the paths both the howls and cries seem to be coming from, hoping the two choices will match for at least one of the trails.

"Well, I suppose we must choose a direction. As far as I can tell, it's this way, but in here, I can't be sure."

Cespenar
2010-12-11, 06:36 PM
Andras turns his attention to Samara and gazes a while at the path she has chosen. He has been straining his ear to pinpoint the sounds to one of the paths as well, though it didn't seem like relying on one's bodily senses here would bring as sure as an answer he might have hoped to get.

"Your guess is as good as any, and since we won't do a thing like dividing our group to each of the paths..." he snorts a brief laugh, "...I have no qualms with your decision."

Sallera
2010-12-14, 01:54 AM
Samara nods, smiling slightly despite the situation. "It does seem a little too conveniently arranged, but that will happen in the Wyld."

Setting out along the chosen path, she beckons the others forward, taking the lead this time as she watches for the source of the cries. "We should be swift, if we wish to intervene, but don't act too hastily when the time comes."

Britter
2010-12-14, 10:54 AM
Jarl nods as he follows. "I have no wish to kill without reason," he says as he falls into step behind Samara. "If there is more to this than a simple creature of the Wyld running rampant in the city, it means that we will have a bigger job to do."

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-14, 02:53 PM
As you walk deeper into the Wyld-tainted lands, the city around you slowly fades away into a forest of granite and glass, except for a few mighty buildings still standing tall within the branches and leaves. Now, you can see the eyes amidst the branches, shining with unearthly light and unblinking, but seemingly of no substance. The wind whispers songs of purple and the taste of wine, and it is clear without a doubt that you have entered the Middlemarches.

The path ahead of you seems clear for a while, though appearances can deceive in the Wyld all too often, and there is a silver light at the end of the path. It also sounds like the call for aid is coming from this direction, though the howls of the beast grow ever more distant as you walk.

Sallera
2010-12-15, 07:58 PM
Samara's breath grows shallower as they proceed, a nervous tension growing in her conscious mind as the Lunar's howls fall behind. It didn't seem like the two events were related after all, and with the distance they had walked, it seemed odd that the cries had been audible from as far away as they apparently were - and that they were still ongoing. The Fair Folk spoke Old Realm, didn't they? Among others. And they were leaving the Lunar free to do as it wished in the meantime. Erratic as its behaviour had been so far, her duty still clearly lay in dealing with it one way or another, and leaving it alone hardly seemed safe.

Her subconscious mind, on the other hand, keeps her walking straight along the path without hesitation. It could be genuine, after all.

"We're not in its way any more," she mentions. A simple observation, of course, nothing more. That was all, really.

Turalisj
2010-12-15, 08:06 PM
Tiger put a gauntleted hand on Samara's shoulder. "Calm yourself. This is no time to be getting pre-battle jitters. Whatever lies up ahead, we will get through it. Can't say for sure that we wont walk away without some scrapes. I never plan that far ahead anyway.

So! Where is this creature we are hunting? Maybe it'll jump out at random and attack me?" Tiger said. After a few seconds, he shrugged his shoulders. "No? Ah well, was a good try."

Sallera
2010-12-16, 01:25 AM
Samara brushes off the hand, but it is more a request than an effort; she doesn't try to match strength with Tiger. She shakes her head sharply, glancing back the way they came. "That's not it. We're heading away from it now, can't you hear? If we want to help whoever's calling, assuming it's not just a trick to lead us deeper into the Wyld, then we're allowing our quarry free access to the city in the meantime. Assuming it notices - and it's not stupid, so it may well - then we'll need to either turn back now or find out what's going on up ahead quickly."

Cespenar
2010-12-16, 05:01 PM
Andras begins to scowl as he too realizes the two sounds growing apart. He looks skeptically at the silver light ahead of them, and glances once at their back.

"Again, there's the hint of division. I don't know if it's me simply being needlessly speculative, but I smell the beginning of some kind of an elaborate trap."

He offers a daring look at Tiger, and continues. "If you trust in yourself that much, we can split and try to take on the possible dangers on either side with half a group, but I think that is what the trap is all about, if there's indeed one."

Britter
2010-12-17, 09:19 AM
Jarl shakes his head at Andras' comments. "No, though it pains me to leave the beast behind knowing it might ravage the city again, splitting up would endanger us all. We are stronger if we stay together." Jarl glances back towards the sound of the beast, concern for the people of Nexus plain in his eyes. He turns back to the path ahead of them. "We have made or choice, for good or ill, and we should hold to it."

Xefas
2010-12-17, 09:03 PM
"I agree with Andras. Virtuoso piped up. "As much as it weighs on me to say it, I think sticking together, in this instance, would be a mistake both tactically and morally. If numbered only one, and the choice was brought before you to save a life in danger, or to preemptively prevent danger from being inflicted on multiple other lives, then the choice would be difficult. You would have to weigh your options. Do I save the person who is assuredly in danger, but risk that monster possibly hurting others? Or do I go after the monster, possibly dooming the person in immediate danger, but possibly saving far more people in the process?" He raised his hand, gesturing as he spoke, almost as if giving some kind of educational lecture. It was clear he thought about these kinds of things a lot. "However, we are fortunate enough to be many, rather than one. Why risk either negative scenario when we may divide our numbers? Its true we would be safer together, but I do not believe that now is the time to be considering our own safety. To do so would be pure selfishness. Tiger and Jarl were able to hurt the beastie last time, and succeeded in driving it off. I think they should go back after it. Andras and I and uh...erm; Samara. Yes, the three of us could go after the cries for help. Then, we can just meet back at the entrance to Firewander after we're done and wait for the other group. Why not?"

Sallera
2010-12-17, 11:31 PM
Samara pauses for a moment, looking at the Virtuoso appraisingly. Still uncomfortable with choosing to travel with her, apparently, yet he'd done it anyway. His thoughts were well-reasoned, although she wasn't sure whether they stemmed from courage or naiveté. But... "No. I didn't want to bring this up until we reached the beast, because the why is a lecture as long as any of you have likely suffered through, and we do not have the time. But I need to at least try to speak with it."

"If we were to reverse your proposed order, however... if I could attend to my duty without worrying that I had possibly abandoned someone in need of help... then I would have no objections. If not, we'll just have to choose one course or the other, difficult though the choice may be." Mercury only knew how often she'd had to make that choice. The correct side, in the end, was Creation's, no matter how much it hurt... right? But without knowledge of what she was choosing between, here in the Wyld, she couldn't even use that as a guide. She wanted the known threat, the one she had to deal with, over the one that might be a threat or nothing at all. It just wasn't sure enough to force her hand, and that was making her hesitate far longer than she should.

Cespenar
2010-12-20, 02:03 AM
Andras sighs and smiles softly as the group considers his suggestion at full, even after he clearly told them that it could be a trap. So, what was it, then? Sheer recklessness, or a simple confidence in their power? Andras decided it should be the latter, probably mixed with a sense of moral responsibility.

He shrugs, finally, and faces the group, starting with Samara.

Addressing her concern of duty, he says, "Then let's reverse the order. We three to the beast, Jarl and Tiger forward to the cries. I don't really care about the choice, but I think we should choose it quickly 'less we lose them both," he adds with urgency in his voice, trying to make it felt as well.

Britter
2010-12-20, 09:33 AM
"I understand the need to fulfill one's duty. If you are willing, Tiger, I will forge forward with you and attend to the cries for help. Once we have done that, we will seek to meet up with the three of you." Jarl leaves his concerns about being lost in the Wyld unspoken. the others knew the risks a well as he did, if not better. But mere risk was not reason enough to reject duty, nor to leave someone to die here in this place if they could have offered aid.

Sallera
2010-12-21, 12:10 AM
Samara nods, taking a silver coin and placing it to the side of the stone path. "A mark, and we can meet again here. If it is gone when we return, we'll seek you at that wretched alehouse, but it would be best if we left by another route, given the show you Solars put on." She is about to turn back, purpose and decision renewing her energy, when she remembers what language she's hearing up ahead.

"Oh, wait... Tiger, Jarl, do you know Old Realm? I ought to have thought of that earlier; given where we are, whoever's calling might not speak anything else. If not... Virtuoso, you seem well-educated. If you've studied the Wyld, I hope you also speak the language? You might be safer with them, anyway, if you don't fight."

Turalisj
2010-12-21, 12:17 AM
Tiger shook his head, "Nope, can't say I know Old Realm. I do speak High and Low Realm though, along with Firetongue an' Guild Cant. I'll take the scholar along, but only if he promises not to wet himself if we run into a Fair Folk."

Xefas
2010-12-21, 10:10 PM
"Ah, well, yes, I am quite proficient in Old Realm. I still have a little trouble remembering the conjugation for the perfect passive participle, though. I mean, do you end the verb in 'ni' or 'ne'? You've got this errant consonant at the end that you've got to do something with! And it's, just- C'mon, really! he laughed loudly, snorting slightly at the end before realizing that it was likely no one else would find his linguistic whimsy quite as humorous as he did. He remembered to feel embarrassed, and spoke much more quietly. "Yes, I'll go with Tiger and Jarl."

Sallera
2010-12-21, 11:43 PM
"Fate smile on you, then." A pity I can't make that blessing literal any more.

Satisfied with the arrangements, Samara turns to Andras as they begin to retrace their steps. "I can find us a way back here easily enough, so let's not worry too much about following the same paths as before. Whatever will take us toward the howls quickest."

Britter
2010-12-22, 09:37 AM
Jarl claps Virtuoso on the back. "Well, here's the adventure we sought my friend. Let us see what aid we can lend." The big man strode off down the path, heading towards the cries for help.

Cespenar
2010-12-22, 01:42 PM
Not questioning her abilities (though noting it in his mind), Andras nods and starts to rise up to a jogging pace.

"Let's hurry up a little, then. We don't know how much of a head start the beast has on us."

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-01, 06:15 AM
Tiger takes the lead of the three that head towards the silver light, though he does not understand the pleas for aid coming from that direction. The Wyld grows thicker as they walk, almost palpable at times, though other than the everpresent danger of mutation, no other threats appear on the way.

Soon, they reach the source of the light: a moonsilver orb suspended a few feet above the ground, which emits a glowing aura, and has the face of a young man on it with an elaborate beard, long dark hair and green eyes. The face seems to notice your arrival and call out to you when you approach it, though only Virtuoso can make sense of the heavily accented Old Realm. "Are you Exalted or spirits? Can you aid me in my plight?" he asks.

Turalisj
2011-01-01, 06:17 AM
"So what's he sayin', bookworm?" Tiger growled out, his arms crossed as he looked at the orb.

Sallera
2011-01-02, 12:11 AM
Samara quickens her pace to match step with Andras, casting a sidelong glance at him as she catches up and briefly wonders whether to make use of the Lesser Sign. No, matters aren't that bad at the moment. I don't want to risk an anima flare yet, even if he does seem more sensible than the other two.

Instead, she turns her thoughts to the upcoming encounter, her breath coming easily in the sterile forest of granite and glass. "Whoever it is we face... talking may not be easy. From the sound of things, though, finding it won't be a problem. Let's not conceal our approach; hiding from this one will not be easy, and it'll likely misread my intention if we fail. There are... a few things I need to ask it, but if it's not in a mood to answer, we may well have another battle on our hands anyway, and I really don't want to have to kill this one."

"Anything unclear?" Well... perhaps not the best choice of words. "At least, anything I can explain before we get there?" she adds, with a slight smile. "How are you in a fight, anyway, if it comes to that?"

Cespenar
2011-01-03, 04:47 AM
Andras listens to Samara quietly as they jog through the chaotic surroundings and when she finishes, he speaks in a low, hissing voice - not a hostile tone to be exact, but rather an unconscious attempt to preserve breath.

He grimaces for a fraction of a second when she dismisses the idea of stealth, however.

"I can hold my own, yes," he says as he keeps looking directly in front of him, but then offers her a glance. "Though possibly not as good as you... or Tiger."

"Anyway, so," he changes the subject after a brief pause, "the beast is not mindless. And I bet you have a theory about what it is?"

Sallera
2011-01-03, 12:32 PM
Samara's smile flickers out of sight. She'd been hoping to avoid that particular question, at least for the moment, but running did give them a little time. Andras had mentioned something about being a former slave... the simple version, then. "Just as you are chosen by Sol Invictus, so too is this one chosen by Luna, Exalted with the power to change form and much besides. Far from mindless, and not to be underestimated... but impossible, to the best of my knowledge, in one particular aspect, hence my need to speak with it."

"But even if it won't speak of that matter, I would still much rather determine its motivation here. I didn't know its nature when we first saw it, or I would have spoken with it then; it might be possible that this fight is, or was, unnecessary."

Cespenar
2011-01-03, 02:50 PM
"A chosen of Luna..." Andras repeats silently to himself, frowning. Then, just a little louder, "Why did it attack the settlement, then? And why does it live in... here?"

He looks ponderous for a moment before spurting another one of his (crazy?) theories.

"Is it possible that the Wyld has affected it somehow? Played with its mind?"

Sallera
2011-01-03, 03:08 PM
"Did it attack, though? I don't even know that much. People were running from it - with an appearance like the one it displayed, that's not surprising, and I thought it was just a Wyld-touched beast at first - but we attacked it, and I can't be certain it wouldn't have turned out differently had we done otherwise."

Samara shakes her head slowly. "The Lunars have traditionally spent a lot of time in the Wyld; they have wards against its influence. But... it is possible that this one lacks them. We'll know more soon, I hope."

Cespenar
2011-01-03, 03:24 PM
"I see," Andras replies as he backtracks in his mind and plays out the beginning of the fight back at the inn. True, it was Tiger that attacked the beast first, but he also remembered the look on the beast's eye and its howls. That wasn't a peaceful creature by any stretch.

He doesn't speak these thoughts out loud, but his suspicious silence does little to hide the fact that he is skeptic about the beast's innocence.

Xefas
2011-01-04, 04:04 PM
Virtuoso cautiously approached the orb, ignoring its words for the moment. He walked in a circle around it, taking it in from various angles and trying to examine it with all of his senses. He glared at it, leaning inward to sniff at it curiously, and had the strong inclination to taste it, before thinking better of it and being content to simply prod it with an outstretched finger. "He wants to know if we're Dragonbloods or Spirits of some kind. And if we'll help him. It looks to me like he's trapped in some kind of device made of moonsilver: dreadful wyld-spawned stuff. I've read that certain kinds of Anathema use it to build insidious contraptions and weapons of chaos and destruction. Maybe this fellow fell prey to such a thing. What should I tell him?" he said, closing in on the orb with the intention of pressing his ear against it and knocking to hear what it sounded like.

Turalisj
2011-01-04, 04:10 PM
"Trapped you say? Well.... I know of one way to free him. Stand back." Tiger said, cracking his knuckles and stepping closer to the orb.

The Solar drew back his fist, a golden corona of light surrounding the orichalcum smashfist. "Sledgehammer fist.....PPPPUNNNCCHHH!"

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-04, 04:57 PM
Tiger focuses his Essence and intent to strike at the moonsilver orb with all his might... and his fist is harmlessly stopped by the indestructible metal, not even leaving a dent.

"I do not understand what you are saying, but trying to break this artifact is rather rude." The face speaks once more in Old Realm.

Britter
2011-01-05, 02:19 PM
Jarl watches as the object resists Tiger's mighty blow. Obviously, this problem will not be bested by battering it to submission. Jarl turned towards Virtuoso.

"I say we ask how we can be of assistance. That is why we came here, after all."

Xefas
2011-01-05, 05:42 PM
Virtuoso staggered several feet away from the orb, not having expected Tiger to punch the damn thing without reason or warning. In retrospect, he felt he should start getting used to the idea. "Well, uh, now that we've exhausted that avenue..." he nodded in agreement with Jarl, and began to speak in Old Realm. "Sorry about that. My acquaintance is very hot-headed. We call him 'Glorious Tiger', for he is stupid like the tiger. We heard your calling, so we came to help, but I'm afraid you weren't exactly what we were expecting. Are you trapped in there?"

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-09, 07:58 PM
"Trapped? No, not quite. I chose to transfer what memories I had into this artifact before the Wyld drove me insane. I spent too much time here, you see, believing I could ward off its influence." The face looks down, to where his feet should be. "Turns out I'm not quite as resourceful as I thought I was. The Terrestrials cornered me here for too long, and now I have become a beast - a chimera, I believe I'm called - that prowls and hunts in the throes of madness. My name was Flying Wisdom, though I suppose I would not respond to it anymore. Who might you be, then, if you have come so far into Firewander?"

_/_/_/_/

As Virtuoso speaks to the face in the orb, Andras and Samara seek out the beast by following its howling. Andras can note from the pauses and the tone of the howls that it is almost as if the beast is trying to communicate with something. Meanwhile, the influences of the Wyld shift from granite plants to plants of golden flame as you track your quarry. The vermin around shine with a similar flame of violet and have an almost crystalline appearance beneath the flames.

Soon, amidst the howling, you can hear a chilling laughter, like that of a child, but somehow wrong. The howling resumes right after the laugh, like responding to a call.

Xefas
2011-01-09, 09:03 PM
Virtuoso's face contorted in uncomfortable shock as he spoke with the orb. "So that - that thing; that wasn't just some wyld-spawned monster? That was a person? Oh gods." Clapping a gloved hand to his face, his words are laced with dread and a small hint of guilt. "Some of our associates are hunting it - you - right now! We have to stop them; I don't think they know what they're doing. Can you come with us? How ambulatory are you?"

Sallera
2011-01-09, 09:31 PM
"That was a rather disturbing sound. Puts me rather in mind of the Fair Folk, in fact... I suppose that could be an explanation for what's happened to this Lunar. I haven't studied Firewander itself enough to know what might be around here... Well, nothing for it but to proceed."

As soon as she judges them close enough to be heard, Samara slows to a walk, gesturing for Andras to take a step back and ensuring her defensive Charm is still active before calling out. The subtle net of Essence surrounds her, catching any hostile intent and communicating a desire for peace in its place. She is not here for violence (yet, at least), and she holds that thought in her mind as she speaks, hoping her intent will reach the Lunar through any Wyld effects that influence it. "Child of Luna! Waning Moon! I would speak with you! Will you take your true form and stand before us that we might converse?" After a moment's thought, she repeats the entreaty in Old Realm, the apparent impossibility of the Lunar's caste making her wonder how long it had been around.

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-09, 09:40 PM
The face of Flying Wisdom looks at Virtuoso. "Wyld-tainted, but monster would be correct. There should be no sanity or humanity left within me anymore. And this artifact cannot quite move from where it stands - I had to change the geomancy enough so some consciousness can remain within.

"Unless your associates are very powerful, however, they are likely to be outmatched. I have spent too much time absorbing the strength of the Wyld, and I would not go down easily. However, there is an alternate solution: remove him from his natural element. Get rid of the Wyld zone."

Xefas
2011-01-09, 10:50 PM
Virtuoso took such a suggestion without any hint of skepticism or surprise. But, clearly, this 'Flying Wisdom' was overestimating him. "I see, I see. But getting rid of a Wyld Zone this size could take me hours, and we don't have that kind of time if what you say is true. Are you absolutely certain there is nothing left in the chimera that could be salvaged? If one were to, hypothetically, cleanse the mutagenic taint of the Wyld from him, even? I'd prefer this to end without a life lost if at all possible."

Cespenar
2011-01-10, 09:23 AM
Andras stops in his tracks as Samara does too, and steps back with her gesture. He watches the surroundings closely and wonders if the woman is right in her belief to end this diplomatically. His hand goes on and off from the folds of his attire, touching the handle of the seven-section staff hidden beneath, and only when he catches himself does he forcefully calm his hands and make them rest beside his hips.

He blinks a couple of times.

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-18, 09:22 AM
"Your dedication to the sanctity of life is admirable, but misguided. The transformation into a chimera is irreversible except by death. I have to be killed, so Creation can remain safe and my Essence can pass on to another. And while I am in the Wyld zone, I cannot be slain for good." Wisdom pauses. "There is, however, an alternate. The Wyld zone of Firewander is not sustained naturally. There is a device, created from the heart of a powerful Fair One, that keeps the chaotic patterns in place. If you were to find the raksha and destroy its heart, the Wyld would recede."

_/_/_/_/

The howling of the beast stops for a precious few moments, and then resumes as maddened laughter, in response to the other one.

"We now know where you are, silly poppet. Feel free to be entertained by tonight's show. They worked really hard for this play." Something speaks in response to Samara. And no sooner than it speaks, half a dozen skittling, spider-like creatures with the face of children come walking into the area, crudely dancing on their six feet.

Sallera
2011-01-18, 01:17 PM
"Fair Folk games, almost certainly," Samara murmurs to Andras. "I don't suppose you've played? I haven't much, myself, but keep an eye out for the one with the leash." She draws both wrapped blades with a casual motion, resting the points against the ground as she watches the dancing spider-things with half-feigned interest.

"The Lunars, as I know them, are not the type to associate peacefully with the Fair Folk. It seems its mind may well be twisted, as you said; perhaps beyond knowing. Might be we'll have to play along with this one for now, assuming it isn't just going to have these things attack us; still, don't let that stop you from finding an easier way past."

With a sigh, Samara raises her voice to address the assumed Fair Folk, replying to it in the language it had used. "An honour, I'm sure. Are you an acquaintance of the rather noisy Lunar hereabouts?"

Turalisj
2011-01-18, 03:58 PM
"So what are we waiting for, scholar?" Tiger asked, getting impatient.

Xefas
2011-01-18, 05:04 PM
This guy could easily be mistaken. And there's no reason I can't try both! Virtuoso ponders with a look of growing triumph on his face, before remembering to look dejected. "Right. Yes. I suppose if there's nothing that can be done for your body, we'll have to put it down. Do you have any idea where this 'raksha' is? I imagine we can handle the rest.

As Tiger interrupts, Virtuoso glances back at him, and says very quickly "We're gonna go kill an ancient Fair Folk monster of some kind, rip out its heart, cure the Firewander district of its Wyld taint, become famous heroes of Nexus, and save the others from certain doom at the hands of that apparently immortal super-powered chaos-mutant they went off to face in the process. I'm getting directions." before nonchalantly pivoting back to listen to Flying Wisdom.

Turalisj
2011-01-18, 05:15 PM
"Good, this is getting boring." Tiger said, a wide grin appearing on his face.

Cespenar
2011-01-18, 05:39 PM
"I don't prefer playing games when the other side has control of the rules, but there isn't much to choose from, now, is it?" Andras mumbles back between clenched teeth. As the weird spider-creatures make themselves visible, Andras finally takes out the seven sectioned staff he has been handling in his robes, but doesn't unfurl it just yet. It rests in his hand, fairly thick in its folded form, a masterfully made weapon of shining orichalcum.

"Also, we can just ignore the 'game' and strike directly at the master of this circus, but it's your call. Do you still believe you can reason with it if you play along? It's probably simply toying with us."

Sallera
2011-01-18, 05:53 PM
Samara shakes her head slightly, keeping her eyes on the dancers. "Even if the Lunar is still sane enough for conversation, I doubt it has anything to do with this," she murmurs back. "I suspect this is the work of the second voice we heard, the laughing one. More importantly, if it is a raksha as I expect, we may not find it at all if we don't follow its rules."

"However..." Although her face remains neutral, her voice hardens noticeably, and her gaze flickers around the area before returning to the motions of the strange creatures. "...if this raksha has been corrupting one of Creation's stewards, you need have no worries about what we shall do to it once it shows itself."

Cespenar
2011-01-18, 06:49 PM
"I see," Andras says, nodding. But this time, his words echoed trust. "Okay, I'm bought. Let's play, then."

With that, he turns his body to a slight angle as to direct his left shoulder towards the oncoming beasts. Though slitted, his eyes flash with expectation.

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-24, 08:45 AM
Amidst the dance, the spider-children start their play. Though they do not raise their voices above an unintelligible murmur, they seem to be reenacting an old, heretical play dated back to the First Age of Man, about two Lunar lovers whose Solar mates would not allow them to be together and who found peace in committing suicide. Samara recognizes the play might take some time - more time than the pair likely has.

Sallera
2011-01-24, 02:11 PM
"Rather cute, in its own disturbing way," Samara murmurs noncommittally. "I think I've seen this one before, albeit with much better players. But we can hardly sit around for the hour or two it will take them to finish. If we are to find the parent of these children, perhaps we can slip away and attempt a stealthy approach to the Lunar, since it's about the only thing we can track in here. They may still be together."

Cespenar
2011-01-24, 04:46 PM
"Huh." Slightly surprised, Andras relaxes his posture as the creatures start to put out a play and not chew on their faces. "I guess it was literal when it talked about a show."

When Samara explains the situation, he nods once and starts to look around for the best and quickest path to bypass the spider creatures.

"Won't the actors notice the absence of their audience, though?" he asks quietly as he gets ready to move.

Sallera
2011-01-24, 05:24 PM
"It's possible," Samara replies, the tips of her blades rising almost imperceptibly off the ground as she chooses an escape route that will take them toward the Lunar. "I'm not entirely certain what they are, or how much will they possess. But the speaker didn't reply when I addressed it directly, so it may not be paying us much attention."

She waits a minute more, waiting for a time when the spider-children seem focused on each other, the nods shortly. "Let's go. They may well attack if we try to leave, so be ready."

Cespenar
2011-01-24, 05:40 PM
With her signal, Andras sidles off to their side like a ghost, trying to blend to the alien surroundings. A few seconds after their disappearance, he pauses briefly to listen, expecting the familiar sounds of a chase.

Turalisj
2011-01-24, 05:52 PM
"Well, this is getting boring..." Tiger said, stretching with a massive yawn. He cupped his hands together and turned towards the direction that they came from. As loud as he could, he shouted in Riverspeak. "HEY, YOU GUYS FIND ANYTHING YET!"

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-24, 06:22 PM
Andras' steps are almost like a ghost's, but Samara is not as lucky, and the creatures are more perceptive than they appear. As you try to walk away, two of them appear behind you. "Are you leaving already?" one asks, in a dreadful montone. "Our play is not over yet, and you have not answered our questions."

Sallera
2011-01-24, 06:48 PM
Samara whirls smoothly, the ends of her long sleeves fluttering out to cover her hands as if guided. These little ones were stealthier than she was, apparently. She schools her features into a conciliatory expression, keeping her blades pointed at the ground. "Unfortunately, we are expected, and cannot stay for the entire show, interesting though it be. As for your questions, why, you have not asked any."

Cespenar
2011-01-24, 07:04 PM
Andras freezes in his steps. He had been caught like this before, and the feeling was very familiar. Still, he calms down, reminding himself of the fact that these are much unlike the Immaculate that chased him long ago, and it was pointless to feel the same way.

Slowing down and turning almost as gracefully as Samara, he lets her do the talking, curious of how things would work out with her words.

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-24, 09:11 PM
"There is a due time for everything, and everything waits for its due. So must our questions bide their own, and you must bide for them too." The creature answers Samara's question. "We will ask the questions after the play is over, and no sooner. And we would be terribly disappointed if you were to leave earlier. We rehearsed many times for this play, after all."

Sallera
2011-01-27, 02:07 PM
The child-like stubbornness of the creatures was almost disarming, until one remembered what their other half was capable of. Samara raises an eyebrow, otherwise remaining perfectly still. "A question unasked is no obligation, nor is a performance unseen lesser for it. As I said, we are expected, and have tasks that cannot be delayed. However, if an audience is important to you, we can offer one larger once we are finished."

Spinning the wrapped blades up behind her arms with a sudden motion, both drawing attention to them and hiding them from view, she offers a very slight bow to the spider-children. "We cannot stay this time. But that is no reason for disappointment."

Cespenar
2011-01-28, 07:29 AM
Andras involuntarily holds his breath, and his grip on the staff tightens.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-01, 07:55 AM
Flying Wisdom considers Virtuoso's words for a while. "As the Wyld zone is sustained artificially, it should get stronger the closer you get to the source of it. The raksha do not stray far from their hearts, so in the deepest of the Wyld you should be able to find it. And with it, what I have become."

Xefas
2011-02-01, 04:24 PM
"Right! Fear not; the next time I see you, you'll be dead!" There was a brief pause. "Well, you know what I mean."

Virtuoso took a moment to get his sense of direction in order, decided on which way he felt constituted "deeper" into the Wyld, and then waved dramatically at the orb. "Come on, guys! To the Deep Wyld! Or...rather, deeper into the Wyld, as it were." and, then, he added hastily "Please don't let me get dismembered by elves..."

Turalisj
2011-02-01, 07:10 PM
"Dismembered by elves? Nah, that's the least to worry about. Now, having an elf pose as a beautiful woman and then try and drain your soul mid coitus, that is something to worry about!" Tiger gave a barking laugh, slapping the smaller man on the back a little harder than one might have wished for. "Lead the way then, perhaps we can find our friends!"

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-05, 01:12 PM
"If you cannot stay for the next time, there will not be a next time." The spider-child responds to Samara, and suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, many more of the creatures surround you, their expressions much more hostile than they used to be, and their many legs suddenly sprout claws. "Our teacher commands it."

Turalisj
2011-02-05, 04:25 PM
Tiger grabbed Virtuoso by the back and started running in the direction he felt would lead to... wherever it was they were supposed to be going. "Come friend, onward to glory!"

Sallera
2011-02-06, 05:28 AM
Samara lets out a small sigh, flipping her blades back to a defensive guard. "You make a mistake. We are leaving. If our path takes us through you, it will be to your own sorrow."

Cespenar
2011-02-06, 11:00 AM
As the situation evolves into what Andras had thought as inevitable, the snakelike staff unravels itself and almost magically moves along to his other hand, where it is grabbed and made ready for battle.

"You know, you really should learn how to handle criticism." he snaps to the creatures around him as he adopts a hypnotic stance of back-and-forth movements and the occasional feint. His eyes flash coldly with a deep alertness, and his gaze shifts from one creature to another, trying to deduce the source of the first strike.

"Uh, Samara," he mumbles from the corner of his mouth. "Looking at their numbers, perhaps we should just run for it?" he offers, not daring to give her a glance.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-06, 06:10 PM
"You insulted our talent," answers what appears to be the head of the creatures in his monotone voice. "You insulted our training. You will not run." Several of the spider-like beasts flail at Andras with their claws, and though their claws do contact, they do little more than scratch his flesh for now.

Sallera
2011-02-07, 02:52 AM
The corner of Samara's mouth twitches as she eyes the surrounding spider-children. "I'm good at running. This way, just follow me." Without further comment, she darts forward, continuing in the direction they'd been travelling. As the first spider bars her path, she ducks low to one side, hooking both blades around its legs and twisting back in the other direction, flinging it off balance toward the wandering flames.

Hanging back for an instant as the next creature's claws come down in front of her, she steps up onto them with impeccable balance, planting a foot on its head and vaulting over the one behind it, arms spread wide. Disregarding the laws of inertia, she starts spinning slowly as she descends, her blades almost moving of their own accord as they strike straight through the flailing limbs of the spider-children on either side the moment she lands, somehow avoiding any contact until they impact the creatures' bodies.

Cespenar
2011-02-07, 05:48 AM
Andras flinches for the fraction of a moment when the claws of the creatures reach him, but realizing that they have a long way before actually piercing through gives him enough strength to dash behind Samara's trail.

In contrast to the woman's acrobatic movements, Andras lurks down and below, legs bent almost at a straight angle, and the multi sectioned staff orbits around him threateningly as he makes his way. He rolls under one of the claws, runs past another one, and the staff wraps itself around the arm of a third that seems to be getting in his way. Andras pulls heavily, gaining speed while launching the creature backwards to crash into another one, and presses forward.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-21, 04:47 PM
Though it seems the spider-creatures - or at least, their fangs and claws - are easy to avoid, their presence is not. As you run away from the first group more and more appear around you, clumsily flailing at you. They proclaim, again and again, that "You will not run. You will not hide. Our mistress demands it."

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-20, 05:09 PM
As the spider-children chase Samara and Andras, Tiger and Virtuoso seek their brief companions, though with little idea how to find them in the mad roads of the Wyld. Soon, however, they hear the droning of the arachnid beasts as hundreds of them hum while fighting, and the clashing of the claw and steel. If they are correct, they are closer than they should be.

Sallera
2011-03-20, 07:40 PM
"Oh, this is silly. Leave it to the Wyld to have an army hiding in plain sight." Surrounded by enough bodies that running was starting to look more like it would resemble swimming, Samara drops back a pace behind Andras as they step in between a pair of fiery saplings, motioning to him to hold still a moment. Trusting to the strange laws of the Wyld to guide her seemingly impossible action, she hooks her blades around the branches of flame and rips them forward, scattering a spray of golden fire behind them as the cloth wrappings catch alight and join the broken branches on the ground. With luck, the starmetal would pass for ordinary steel without a close inspection.

"We've wasted enough time. You won't be holding a play here. If you still have questions, ask them; if not, use whatever sense you possess and realize the futility of this whole matter."

Cespenar
2011-03-21, 03:39 AM
Wondering if Samara will accomplish anything by her reasoning (these creatures hardly seemed to be sane, after all), Andras skids to a stop and watches the creatures with growing irritation.

Turalisj
2011-03-28, 06:33 PM
Tiger's eyes began to shine gold, a half-filled golden disk forming upon his brown. Streamers of essence began to wrap around his body as he dropped into a combat stance. The essence took on the vague shape of a pouncing tiger. "If you aren't prepared to fight, then find somewhere to hide."