PDA

View Full Version : A hand for a hand....

Dark Kerman
2010-11-01, 04:46 PM
Hello people :smallsmile: I was wondering if some of you folks might be able to solve an issue regarding a certain custom spell I have been trying to create (with permission of my DM, of course). I am currently trying to make an idea for a spell that, in effect, creates a giant hand (Similar to a "Bugsby" hand :vaarsuvius: ), that the caster can control as if it was their own hand, with it mimicing whatever there hand does, and moving in correlation with there own arm movements, allowing the caster to lift, throw, wield things of great weight, all for an amount of time equal to the spell duration.

The Problem: Such a spell would be high level, meaning so would the adversaries used against it. In order to make it functional as a corporeal object, it must also be possibly subject to physical damage, which the average fighter at such a level could do in a matter of rounds. If I make it too high in its personal defensive capabilities, it would require epic levels to cast. I was wondering if anybody might have a viable solution to bypass this issue? Thanks for your time. :smallsmile:

Marnath
2010-11-01, 04:52 PM
Sounds like what you need is Greater Mage Hand, except better. Call it superior mage hand, up the numbers from the greater version and give it the ability to wield weapons. Boom, done. I'd peg it at 3rd or 4th spell level, since greater mage hand is only 1st.

*edit: It would be made of force, too. Not much should hurt it.

Dark Kerman
2010-11-01, 05:06 PM
Thank you very much Marnath, you have provided a useful simple solution to a rather large problem I was having, thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Marnath
2010-11-01, 05:12 PM
Any time, pleased to help. :smallsmile:

dsmiles
2010-11-01, 06:16 PM
Make sure you use it as a "Bugsby's Flipping Finger" a few times. That should get some laughs. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2010-11-01, 06:23 PM
Don't forget the Bugsby's Glove spell. Its a 0th level cantrip that changes the color of your Bugsby's Hand spells. Stylish!

Cespenar
2010-11-01, 06:29 PM
So, you want the Telekinesis spell, only visualized?

Edit: No, wait, you want it to be attacked as well. Hmm. You can take some stats quickly from the Earthen Grasp line of spells.

Marnath
2010-11-01, 07:23 PM
So, you want the Telekinesis spell, only visualized?

Edit: No, wait, you want it to be attacked as well. Hmm. You can take some stats quickly from the Earthen Grasp line of spells.

I think he probably got what he needed already. :smalltongue:

Thank you very much Marnath, you have provided a useful simple solution to a rather large problem I was having, thanks. :smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2010-11-01, 09:03 PM
The Mod They Call Me: This probably belongs in homebrew.

Cespenar
2010-11-02, 12:48 AM
I think he probably got what he needed already. :smalltongue:

Bad parsing skills, sorry. :smallbiggrin:

Dark Kerman
2010-11-02, 10:58 AM
Most certaintly dsmiles :smalltongue: That in fact is where the idea came from, the capability to have a fully dextrous hand, at least. :smallbiggrin: Btw, thank you averagejoe, this was my first thread post, so I wasn't entirely sure. :smallconfused:

I shall be posting the stats for the new spell (Beexjotra's Aggressive Gesticulation) to this thread soon, feel free to say if you can find any improvement/suitability for a level. :smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2010-11-02, 12:53 PM
Don't worry too much about the hitpoints... if used right, it might never get attacked... it can fly (just raise your arm over your head...) and it has many many utility uses. Give it improved Grapple and 10 foot reach and you should be good to go. Strength should probably be (Casting Stat Mod. + Caster Level) x2, and hitpoints about the same.... but it should also have DR 30/magic or so, so it can terrorize peons.

Dark Kerman
2010-11-05, 04:47 PM
Beexjotra's Aggressive Gesticulation.

Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One object weighing up to 500 lb.
Duration: 5 rounds + 1 round/level / Concentration; see text.
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Upon casting, a hand of telekinetic force (with dimensions of 10 feet in length and about the same with fingers outstretched) appears, which mimics the actions of the casters own hand (Left or right, depending on the casters choice). The hand can move at a rate of 30 ft/round, and can
In order for the spell to be maintained, the caster cannot do any other action except control the hand, any action such as spell casting, melee attack with other than the hand, or using equipment results in loss of the spell. If the caster takes damage, they must make a concentration save or lose the spell.
The hand can be used for a number of purposes, such as grappling (in which the caster must continually concentrate on the subject, and the subject is allowed a strength check each round), is allowed a capability to throw the individual (assuming a successful grapple check) and can cause 2d6 +8 damage when thrown without momentum of height. When thrown from a height (downwards) add fall damage to the original throw damage of 2d6 +8.#

First draft. :) I am aware that weapons can be weilded, but I think to retain any proficiency the character has, it would require to be giant also. :P
and its strength is treated as being 27.

Dirac Lotus
2010-11-15, 03:55 PM
Sounds like what you need is Greater Mage Hand, except better. Call it superior mage hand, up the numbers from the greater version and give it the ability to wield weapons.

I think this approach is better for what you're trying to do, personally; it seems like you're trying to merge the Bigby and the mage hand idea (although there's nothing wrong with that :smalltongue:). If you want it in the sort of Bigby style, I'd go for giving it Damage Reduction as DracoDei said. Doing it Bigby style might cause it to be higher level though, since it will pretty much have the capability to do all the Bigby spells in one :smallbiggrin:

Dark Kerman
2010-11-22, 01:34 PM
Would damage reduction greatly increase the spell level though?