PDA

View Full Version : How long can candy last if frozen?

Gamerlord
2010-11-01, 05:26 PM
So, Halloween has ended, and I got very few trick-or-treaters. Unfortunately, I probably had a lot more, I just never realized because of a broken doorbell. This means I now have a giant bowl of candy, most of which I don't like. So, how long can candy last if frozen?

Dr.Epic
2010-11-01, 05:31 PM
I think chocolate can last awhile if frozen.

Irbis
2010-11-01, 05:37 PM
Pretty much forever? :smallconfused:

Depends on kind, of course. Is it a hard candy, or jelly one?

BlueWizard
Well, the Tsar and his company ate a mammoth frozen for centuries back in the 19th century... so I think you are good.
Candy might get a little stale, but if should last a long while.

Mando Knight
Like other foodstuffs, it depends on the candy. If it's wrapped candy such as fun-size M&Ms or such, it can probably stand to be stored for months at room temperature. If it's home-made or such, it probably has a much shorter shelf life.

AshDesert
2010-11-01, 06:13 PM
We have store-bought candy in our freezer from 3 years ago that's still good. Pretty much any major brand candy will last as long as you want it to in the freezer. At room temperature anything in wrappers will last a few months.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-11-01, 06:14 PM
I've had candy last nearly a year in the freezer. I got six pounds this year; I'm gonna need a long shelf life.

EvilDMMk3
2010-11-01, 06:19 PM
Some jellies and other soft sweets can go a bit funny, not inedible but strange in texture due to the ice crystals that may have formed in them.

Boiled sweets will last more or less till doom's day on the other hand.

Expect anything with runny liquid (like a soft centred chocolate) in it to be ruined due to the water expanding, although that would be a fairly awesome T/T haul.

Bhu
2010-11-01, 08:09 PM
http://www.chocolate-candy-mall.com/how-long-can-you-freeze-candy.html

http://www.wikihowl.com/freezecandybars.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/407868/what_to_do_with_leftover_halloween.html

http://buffalo.momslikeme.com/members/JournalActions.aspx?g=444510&m=15051586

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf607743.tip.html

http://www.ehow.com/video_4801769_can-freeze-chocolate_.html

A few linkies. Looks like you're ok depending on what you're freezing

Marnath
2010-11-01, 09:00 PM
Candy can survive this many hours past Halloween uneaten? :smalleek:
I call shenanigans!

Mr. Moon
2010-11-02, 01:10 AM
It can survive a really long time in my tummy. I wouldn't mind putting it there for you. =3

faceroll
2010-11-02, 01:22 AM
Things with a high amount of sugar in them can last pretty much indefinitely if stored in a dry place. The honey in the tombs of egyptian kings is still good, for instance.

Sugar in high concentrations act as a preservative much the way salt does.

Candy bars in wrappers that maintain their integrity will last pretty much forever.

Of course, texture will change over time, so you may experience palatability issues, but no edibility ones.

littlebottom
2010-11-02, 09:48 AM
It can survive a really long time in my tummy. I wouldn't mind putting it there for you. =3

post of the century:smallcool:

Eloel
2010-11-02, 09:49 AM

I'd say around 3 hours is how long it would stay. So, try handing them to me and I'll safekeep them?

Diva De
2010-11-02, 10:07 AM
Well, if cake lasts a year...

Should be alright at least that long. Jellies might not fare so well, though.

thubby
2010-11-02, 03:01 PM
chocolate is physically incapable of going bad.
many jelly candies don't entirely freeze in normal freezers, but they keep and it doesn't do anything weird to them. i actually prefer frozen gummy bears. :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Moon
2010-11-02, 06:00 PM
Well then. Apparently, if you go by my local supermarket, only two days. Went there to get some discount, left-over Haloween candy, and they'd already replaced it with Christmas stuff. Waaat.

I'd say around 3 hours is how long it would stay. So, try handing them to me and I'll safekeep them?

Shhhh, don't tell him! D=

post of the century:smallcool:

^^ Woo!

Marnath
2010-11-02, 06:03 PM
Well then. Apparently, if you go by my local supermarket, only two days. Went there to get some discount, left-over Haloween candy, and they'd already replaced it with Christmas stuff. Waaat.

That's sick and wrong.:smallannoyed:
It's not even Thanksgiving yet. Christmas is literally almost two months away, and they're getting the christmas stuff out already? They take it farther every year. :smallfurious:

ScottishDragon
2010-11-02, 06:07 PM
That's sick and wrong.:smallannoyed:
It's not even Thanksgiving yet. Christmas is literally almost two months away, and they're getting the christmas stuff out already? They take it farther every year. :smallfurious:

What?Only now?At my supermarket they've had christmas stuff for the last 2 weeks!

Perenelle
2010-11-02, 06:37 PM
chocolate is physically incapable of going bad.
many jelly candies don't entirely freeze in normal freezers, but they keep and it doesn't do anything weird to them. i actually prefer frozen gummy bears. :smallbiggrin:

Frozen gummy bears?? I must try this. Must. =3

Anyway, I've kept chocolate in the freezer for a year or so and it still tasted the same. It looked a little different, but It was still chocolate therefor still able to be inhaled by me. :smallamused:

Amiel
2010-11-02, 06:48 PM
As long as needed; especially in the advent of a zombie apocalypse.

littlebottom
2010-11-02, 07:25 PM
What?Only now?At my supermarket they've had christmas stuff for the last 2 weeks!

2 weeks? is that all? round here they have been going on about it for nearing 2 months. almost 2 months!? i mean seriously, they had to take the christmas stuff down to put up halloween stuff, just to put the christmas stuff up again. :smallsigh:

Thufir
2010-11-02, 07:30 PM

Likewise. I realise they want to get started early, but Christmas stuff should not be up before Halloween. Immediately after, fair enough, but not before. That's just wrong.

2 weeks? is that all? round here they have been going on about it for nearing 2 months. almost 2 months!? i mean seriously, they had to take the christmas stuff down to put up halloween stuff, just to put the christmas stuff up again. :smallsigh:

And that's... well, I need a word that's more extreme than 'wrong'.

Marnath
2010-11-02, 07:35 PM
It should be illegal to put up Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving is over. :smallfurious:

Mr. Moon
2010-11-02, 07:38 PM
Well, in all fairness, Marnath, Thanksgiving is in early October in Canada.

Marnath
2010-11-02, 07:39 PM
It's at the end of november in America, which is where I am.

Mr. Moon
2010-11-02, 07:43 PM
Fair enough.

Anyway, I was less annoyed over the Christmas decorations, as much as I was annoyed over "Heeeeey, I wanted cheap candy. :smallannoyed:" I'm okay with the decorations, it reminds me that I need to start on Christmas presents.

littlebottom
2010-11-02, 07:46 PM
what you talking about? going round the day after easter picking up 5 eggs for the price of 1 is brilliant!

Marnath
2010-11-02, 07:49 PM
Fair enough.

Anyway, I was less annoyed over the Christmas decorations, as much as I was annoyed over "Heeeeey, I wanted cheap candy. :smallannoyed:" I'm okay with the decorations, it reminds me that I need to start on Christmas presents.

Decorations I can ignore, the over played same 12 songs that've been standard for 60 or 70 years blaring over the speakers is what I loathe. If I hear "dreaming of a white christmas" or "chestnuts roasting over an open fire" one more time, i'm gonna flip out. :smallfurious:

Have there really been no new christmas carols since freaking WWII? I wanna hear those instead at least!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-11-02, 08:33 PM
"I saw three ships come sailing in, on Christmas day, on Christmas day"

Best carol ever. I've had it stuck in my head since September. :smalleek:

Bhu
2010-11-03, 05:15 PM
Decorations I can ignore, the over played same 12 songs that've been standard for 60 or 70 years blaring over the speakers is what I loathe. If I hear "dreaming of a white christmas" or "chestnuts roasting over an open fire" one more time, i'm gonna flip out. :smallfurious:

Have there really been no new christmas carols since freaking WWII? I wanna hear those instead at least!

There are but they arent considered generic and inoffensive enough to be played in a store. Remember how twitchy people get around xmas. On the other hand if you like offensive xmas music, look up the Punk Rock Christmas Album, particularly 'Homo Christmas' by Pansy Division. One of the local stores played that album to be different without knowing about that song. Funniest thing I'd seen in a while at the time.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-11-04, 07:47 AM
It should be illegal to put up Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving is over. :smallfurious:

A house that is a street over from mine had Christmas lights up a week before Halloween.

I so wanted to throw things at that house.

Morph Bark
2010-11-04, 07:58 AM
"I saw three ships come sailing in, on Christmas day, on Christmas day"

Best carol ever. I've had it stuck in my head since September. :smalleek:

"I saw three ships come sailing in, on Christmas day in the morning"? :smallbiggrin:

Considering Christmas isn't as big here and we don't exactly have big malls besides some of the big cities, I can get away with whistling Christmas tunes all year long. My old phone's ringtone used to be "I wish you a merry Christmas". Admittably, I didn't see much use.

But yeah, hard candy can last a really long time. Lots of sugar and little water make sure of that.

Person_Man
2010-11-04, 09:56 AM
You have room in your freezer for candy? I can barely find the ice in mine.

Tirian
2010-11-04, 10:32 AM
Well, if cake lasts a year...

Have you ever had year-old cake? That tradition is a cruel trick that is best forgotten.

There are but they arent considered generic and inoffensive enough to be played in a store.

That isn't quite true. There was a wave of Christmas music in the early 70's that wasn't all bad. (It was all downbeat music, though.) "Please Come Home For Christmas" by the Eagles is a singularly awesome song. And I also have a soft spot for Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" a generation later.

Amiel
2010-11-05, 12:52 AM
It may also depend on the temperature of your freezer (ice box, ice et al).
After your candy has been frozen, you'll probably also need to think of ways to thaw them out. On the bright side, when you do go about melting the candy, you'll be able to combine them together to form a kaleidoscope of flavour.