PDA

View Full Version : Best way to play with minds?

SamsDisciple
2010-11-02, 12:12 AM
Obviously the best way to toy with ones mind is to be a DM but I do not currently hold such a title so I am looking for mechanics to do so. Allowed books are core, complete ____, phb2, libris mortis, heroes of horror. I originally made a mindbender and the dm ruled that each eternal charm is another cohort like if I were allowed to take leadership several times but it seems to OP for it to be fun (I mean it is fun to bully my six slaves that each are stronger than I am but...) any ideas of what to build?

TurtleKing
2010-11-02, 12:57 AM
The Beguiler from the PHB II might help. They focus on Illusions and Enchantments. Plus they know all spells on the Beguiler spell list which covers most illusion and enchantment spells.

Fiery Diamond
2010-11-02, 02:14 AM
For RP, rather than mechanical, messing with mind, there is the spell "message" used on unaware targets.

AslanCross
2010-11-02, 04:45 AM
The Beguiler from the PHB II might help. They focus on Illusions and Enchantments. Plus they know all spells on the Beguiler spell list which covers most illusion and enchantment spells.

As well as a whole bunch of very helpful conjuration and transmutation spells. I would recommend the Beguiler as well. Taking a level in Mindbender also gives you Telepathy, which helps mess around with people without detection.

Newt
2010-11-02, 05:59 AM
Fairly certain there's a Psionic class somewhere.. You take over other peoples minds, very cool. Well.. It's Pisonics, as long as it's not equivalent to magic it's totally freaking awesome play with your mind material. A Red Wizard with Leadership and a Thayan Knight cohort, makes thematic sense if in Faerun. Enchantment/Illusionist Wizard of any sort, Nightmare Spinner from Complete.. Mage I think it is, assuming you include various fear effects as a part of messing with minds. A Bard messes with minds?

DnD is either hitting people with sharp or heavy or heavy and sharp objects or messing with their minds. :P

Or bending reality to your will, but that's marginally less fun.

Ertwin
2010-11-02, 08:30 AM
for playing with peoples' minds without resorting to game mechanics, a pychology course is always handy.:smallbiggrin:

SamsDisciple
2010-11-02, 01:14 PM
I like the psych course idea but how do you psych out a psychologist? My dm is close to graduating with his psychology degree and so he definitely messed with our minds in certain sessions. Next question is whether it would be better to stay beguiler or whatever class I choose or PrC out of it? (Btw tons of fun with telepathy already, bluffed an entire mob of ogres to run away from the black tentacles because they were a demon god being summoned :)

Psyren
2010-11-02, 01:37 PM
Tibbit Telepath :smalltongue: