PDA

View Full Version : New Psionic Power (Based on Assimilate)

NineThePuma
2010-11-02, 01:37 PM
Consume
Psychometabolism
Level: Psion/wilder 1
Display: Auditory and visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous and 5/min Level; see text
Saving Throw: Fortitude half
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 1

Your pointing finger turns black as obsidian. A creature touched by you is partially assimilated into your form and takes 1d6 points of damage. Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this power is killed, entirely consumed into your form, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. An consumed creature’s equipment is unaffected.

A creature that is partially consumed into your form (that is, a creature that has at least 1 hit point following your use of this power) grants you a number of temporary hit points equal to half the damage you dealt for 5 minutes per level.

A creature that is completely consumed grants you a number of temporary hit points equal to the damage you dealt and a +1 bonus to constitution, per 4 HD consumed, for 5/min per level. If the consumed creature knows psionic powers, you gain knowledge of one of its powers for 1 hour. You gain some semblance of a creature you completely consume for 1 hour, granting you a +10 bonus on Disguise checks made to appear as that creature during that time.

Augment
For every additional power point you spend, this power’s damage increases by 1d6 points.

For every three additional power points you spend, you can select one Int based skill that a completely consumed creature had and are treated as trained in that skill for 5/min a level, with ranks equal to the consumed creature's ranks.

This is kinda-sorta based on the Assimilate power, with the intent of making it scale and be more useful early on. Because I think it's criminal to not have a lower level power to do that sort of thing.

Lix Lorn
2010-11-03, 05:25 AM
What with the dustification; it might be a bit strong for first level. Maybe 1d4? or make it 2nd level, 2d6, and +1d6 for +2 pp?

NineThePuma
2010-11-03, 03:12 PM
Reducing the damage is okay by me, but then it'll be less functional. I'd be happy to remove the "reduced to dust" thing...

Lix Lorn
2010-11-03, 03:17 PM
That makes sense though. It makes more sense to just reduce damage die.

NineThePuma
2010-11-03, 03:21 PM
The idea is to keep the power relevant at all times... I suppose lowering it to 1d4 per PP is a reasonable alteration.

I'll definitely be taking out the whole reduced to dust thing though. Not sure what I was thinking.

Lix Lorn
2010-11-03, 05:29 PM
No, seriously, keep that. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. XD

AugustNights
2010-11-04, 06:27 AM
No, seriously, keep that. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. XD

Seconded.
I like this power.
I like getting to use it sooner.
I also like the idea of d4s, that can be augmented to d6s... and maybe for a fun cost up to d8s.

Edit: I just realized that augmenting the Dice damage wouldn't really be as useful as adding more dice to the damage, unless there was a damage cap... NM.

Lix Lorn
2010-11-04, 08:50 AM
Seconded.
I like this power.
I like getting to use it sooner.
I also like the idea of d4s, that can be augmented to d6s... and maybe for a fun cost up to d8s.

Edit: I just realized that augmenting the Dice damage wouldn't really be as useful as adding more dice to the damage, unless there was a damage cap... NM.
It would at high levels. Raising d4 to d6 gives +1 damage per die, on average. So if you do at least 3d4 damage, augmenting to 3d6 gives you average 10.5 compared to 4d4, 10.

NineThePuma
2010-11-04, 02:15 PM
Consume
Psychometabolism
Level: Psion/wilder 1
Display: Auditory and visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous and 5/min Level; see text
Saving Throw: Fortitude half
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 1

Your pointing finger turns black as obsidian. A creature touched by you is partially assimilated into your form and takes 1d4 points of damage. Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this power is killed, entirely consumed into your form, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. An consumed creature’s equipment is unaffected.

A creature that is partially consumed into your form (that is, a creature that has at least 1 hit point following your use of this power) grants you a number of temporary hit points equal to half the damage you dealt for 5 minutes per level.

A creature that is completely consumed grants you a number of temporary hit points equal to the damage you dealt and a +1 bonus to constitution, per 4 HD consumed, for 5/min per level. If the consumed creature knows psionic powers, you gain knowledge of one of its powers for 1 hour. You gain some semblance of a creature you completely consume for 1 hour, granting you a +10 bonus on Disguise checks made to appear as that creature during that time.

Augment
For every additional power point you spend, this power’s damage increases by 1d4.

For every two additional power points you spend, increase the size of all damage dice by a single step. (1d4 -> 1d6 -> 1d8 -> 1d10 -> 2d6 -> 3d6 -> 4d6 -> 6d6 -> 8d6)

For every three additional power points you spend, you can select one Int based skill that a completely consumed creature had and are treated as trained in that skill for 5/min a level, with ranks equal to the consumed creature's ranks.

How's this? Using the (somewhat over idealized) Level 20 Wilder in wild surge, that's 26 PP pumped in, which can be 26d4, 24d6, 22d8, 20d10, 36d6, 48d6, 56d6, 72d6, 80d6...

I think I broke it again. =|

Lix Lorn
2010-11-04, 02:58 PM
Easy:
'To a maximum die size of 1d10.' XD