2010-11-03, 05:43 AM
Once upon a time,
Where wolves spoke rhyme,
There was a world, dark and grim...

Tread very softly, for we are monsters
Warning upon a faded placard by the Nightmare Woods

---

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs26/i/2008/136/c/6/the_woods_by_thescreamingid.jpg

"When the last days were upon me, and the ugly trifles of existence began to drive me to madness like the small drops of water that torturers let fall ceaselessly upon one spot of their victims body, I loved the irradiate refuge of sleep. In my dreams I found a little of the beauty I had vainly sought in life, and wandered through old gardens and enchanted woods."
HP Lovecraft

It is often said that fairy tales draw their inspiration from an uncommon source. To many, creativity manifested through parables and morality plays is imagination's greatest triumph; this act of imagination is at once both praised and reviled once the source of such inspiration is uncovered.

For fairy tales - true fairy tales - capable of precipitating and facilitating tremendously profound changes in individuals, twisted by branching narrative and constricted through descriptions, encapsulate and frame the true reality of the world; and that is a world through which fear rules.

Synonymous with dread, a morbid curiosity stems in close proximity to fear. Mated with revulsion and extreme apprehension, fear is the ultimate expression of reverence. The only pure emotion.

---

The Cheshire Cat

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs6/i/2005/065/9/a/cheshire_cat_WIP_by_hellangel.jpg
Medium Fey
Hit Dice: 15d6+45 (97 hp)
Initiative: +12
Speed: 50 ft., fly 100 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 41 (+8 Dex, +23 natural), touch 18, flat-footed 33
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+9
Attack: Claw +17 melee (1d8+2)
Full Attack: 2 claws +17 melee (1d8+2) and bite +12 melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Change shape, damage reduction 20/cold iron, dweller upon the crossroads, darkvision 120 ft., gleefully mad, grin, low-light vision, immunity to acid, cold, fire, electricity, mind-affecting effects, poison and petrification, planeshift, regeneration 10, see in darkness, spell resistance 30, tongues, uncanny dodge
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +19, Will +19
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 27, Con 16, Int 27, Wis 27, Cha 27
Skills: Yes
Feats: Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Persuasive, Power Attack, StealthyB, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 15
Treasure: No coins; double goods; standard items
Alignment: Always chaotic neutral

Change Shape (Su): The Cheshire Cat can assume the form of any Small or Medium humanoid, animal or magical beast.

Dweller Upon The Crossroads (Ex): Locked inside the form of the Cheshire Cat is a nexus of portals and intertwining interdimensional pathways. The Cat has mastered these crossroads to an unprecedented degree. This confers the following abilities.
The Cheshire Cat can greater teleport as a swift action (caster level 15th).
The Cheshire Cat is considered incorporeal (as the subtype) and invisible if it chooses to appear as so. A creature must succeed on a DC 25 Will save or be fascinated (as the status effect). The Cat may manifest corporeality and visibility as a standard action every round. The save-DC is Charisma-based.

Gleefully Mad (Ex): The Cheshire Cat has secured and sequestered his thoughts behind a unique abjuration. A creature must succeed on three consecutive DC 25 Will saves to pierce the fog surrounding the Cat's thoughts or be affected by hideous laughter.
The Cat is, for all intents and purposes, under a continual mindblank spell.

Grin (Ex): The Cheshire Cat is under the constant effects of an enthrall spell. This is a non-magical ability and cannot be dispelled. Every 1d3 rounds, the Cat can also make a suggestion; the Cat needn't verbalise the intent of the suggestion, creatures must however see the Cat grin.
3/day, the Cheshire Cat can effect mass charm monster through his grin.

Skills: The Cheshire Cat has a +8 racial bonus on Climb, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, and Balance checks.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will - air walk, dream, fog cloud, greater scrying, invisibility, locate creature, mislead. 3/day - false vision, haste, mind fog, mirage arcana, permanent image, programmed image, project image, slow. Caster level 15th. The save-DCs are Charisma-based.

Debihuman
2010-11-03, 10:20 AM
I think I prefer a less powerful version of the Cheshire Cat. See here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c.

Debby

Amiel
2010-11-04, 02:11 AM
I think I prefer a less powerful version of the Cheshire Cat. See here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c.

Debby

Thanks for the feedback, Debby, your comments are always appreciated :)

The cat in the link you provided does seem a bit weak compared to what I've been envisaging for the power curve for/of what will be a rather grim and dark world.
I'm planning on drawing upon the root source of fairy tales, when they were horror stories composed by adults to terrify and entertain other adults.

I'll edit the Cheshire some more and hopefully hammer out some more creations very soon.

Serpentine
2010-11-04, 04:52 AM
You looking for ideas? Cuz I have one for an advanced Mimic that pretends to be a tower with a tantalising ladder of hair hanging out a window among other things...

Eldan
2010-11-04, 08:47 AM
I think building-sized mimics existed already, though the hair idea is brilliant.

Of course, no D&D player would trust it, I assume.

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-04, 06:47 PM
That picture looks less like the Cheshire cat and more like the Tim Burton [boo!] Mad Hatter wearing a Mimic

Debihuman
2010-11-06, 12:42 PM
Oh noes! It's the Dreaded Domesticated Diminutive Mimic. It follows you home if you feed it. It demands that you hold in your lap or wear it at all times as it just wants to snuggle. Unfortunately, it tends to creep out everyone you meet.

This is my favorite picture of the Cheshire Cat:
http://dl9.glitter-graphics.net/pub/224/224329npzfwp3j55.jpg

Serp, have you been watching the ads for Tangled?

Debby

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-07, 04:18 PM
You might want to check this out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162739), it's a 4e campaign setting I've been working on with very similar themes.

Serpentine
2010-11-07, 11:41 PM
What's Tangled?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-11-07, 11:58 PM
What's Tangled?

I believe it is a computer-animated fairy tale movie by Disney.

The Tygre
2010-11-08, 12:32 AM
I gotta' say, I like where this project is going. So tell us, what creature do you have next in the works?