PDA

View Full Version : Anime Recommendations

puppyavenger
2010-11-04, 06:49 PM
Right, I can't find a General Anime thread or anything like that which has posts from less than two months ago. If I missed one, please point it out.

Anyway, I've recently found out the video store near my house actually has a good anime collection. So watching a few movies got me interested and I ended binging on a few series that seem to be praised across the internet.

However, now I'm pretty much out of idea's, so does anyone have any recommendations for good anime? Or a link to some webpage listing them I should already know about or something.

If it helps, I've watched and enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, Trigun, Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

TSGames
2010-11-04, 07:26 PM
If you want something hilarious, over the top, and utterly maly:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
If you want something with giant robots, tons of magnificent bastardness, and Xanatos Gambits out the wazoo:
Lelouch of the Rebellion
If you want something incredibly well done, with a beautiful story, that is full of soul crushing despair:
Berserk
If you want something that has an interesting but disjointed plot, with plenty of good humor and a fair bit of disturbing violence:
Baccano
If you want a classic anime, one that is not too sci-fi and very much character centric, then there's always the classic spacecowboy anime:
Cowboy Beebop
If you want a character centric anime that has badass samurai:
Samurai Champloo
If you're in the mood for gratuitous violence, samurai style mixed with futuristic tech, and a fast moving plot that has almost no downtime:
Afro Samurai*
If you're in the mood for a highly atypical anime, one with absolutely beautiful art and very minimal continuing plot or violence:
Mushishi

I'd recommend more, (like the classics:Dragonball, Dragonball Z, and Fullmetal Alchemist, or any movie by Miyazaki), but I'd assume you've already seen/heard of those. That aside, depending on what you're in the mood for, there are a ton of good animes, but I have found that, for myself, if I'm not in the right mood for it, even a good anime will seem terrible.

*Note: do not watch the director's cut, it is terrible. It adds in a lot of ten to sixty second clips of minor characters and events that add nothing to the story and only seem to make the pacing go from lightning fast to a snail's pace. Watch the regular cut if you watch it at all.

puppyavenger
2010-11-04, 07:38 PM
wow, thanks for the quick reply.

anyway, I've already seen Baccano and Cowboy Bebop, and they were both great. I'll check out Berserk, Samurai Champloo and.. Lelouch of the rebellion is the same thing as Code Geas, right?

Anyway, I'll probably pass on Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. From what I've read about it, it really doesn't seem like my thing.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-04, 07:50 PM
Yeah, Samurai Champloo is very good. Definitely check it out.

Anyway, I'll probably pass on Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. From what I've read about it, it really doesn't seem like my thing.

The anime is very over the top. I like it and you might if you like things that are awesome-stupid.

Psyren
2010-11-04, 08:02 PM
I don't see Bleach in here, so let me recommend that.

Also, if you liked Death Note, you'll LOVE Code Geass.

If you're into fantasy; D.Gray-man, Soul Eater and Fairy Tail are all very badass.

puppyavenger
2010-11-04, 08:14 PM
Yeah, Samurai Champloo is very good. Definitely check it out.

The anime is very over the top. I like it and you might if you like things that are awesome-stupid.

So what exactly is Chamloo about anyway? Samurai in feudal Japan w/ hip hop soundtrack?

Yeah, things like using a galaxy as a shruiken (to paraphrase an example I read a while ago) goes a bit past my tolerance level for awesome-stupid.

I don't see Bleach in here, so let me recommend that.

If you're into fantasy; D.Gray-man, Soul Eater and Fairy Tail are all very badass.

I'll be sure to check out code Geas.

So, Wikipedia's being confusing, are all of Soul Eater and D.Gray-man out dubbed?

Dr.Epic
2010-11-04, 08:33 PM
So what exactly is Chamloo about anyway? Samurai in feudal Japan w/ hip hop soundtrack?

Technically, not samurai as the two main characters are really just wandering swordsmen. The linear plot is they're got into a fight in the first episode, and before they can kill each other, they have to help a girl find "a samurai who smells of sunflowers." (It makes sense if you see the first episode. The characters are good, the plot isn't so linear that if you miss an episode you won't get the plot of the next. It's goo and is worth checking out.

A Rainy Knight
2010-11-04, 08:44 PM
A lot of good ones have already been mentioned, but I'll throw in:

Full Metal Panic! - Combination comedy/action/mecha series. The comedy is usually kept pretty separate of the action/mecha parts, though the second season is basically a pure comedy series.

Seto no Hanayome/My Bride is a Mermaid - This might not be for you if you're not as much into over-the-top series, but I just finished watching this one and enjoyed it far too much to not mention it. It's a comedy that features a lot of over-the-top voice acting, running jokes, and exaggerated art shifts.

Funimation has both of these series available to watch on their site, if I recall correctly.

Bob_the_Mighty
2010-11-04, 08:59 PM
Hm, I haven't actually done much anime watching lately, but I recommend Claymore, Elfen Lied, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Also, you can try just browsing this site (http://www.animefreak.tv/).

TSGames
2010-11-04, 09:39 PM
Hm, I haven't actually done much anime watching lately, but I recommend Claymore, Elfen Lied, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

O dear, we're really getting into it now. I would have recommended Elfen Lied in my first post, but I have learned it is an anime that is very much not for everyone. I thought it was beautifully done, and that it very thoroughly explored the themes of 'what it means to be human' and are 'humans inherently evil,' and it explored them in a way that was not abstract or censored in any way. In short, it delved deeply, right to the heart of the matter, and it handled it well. Unfortunately, the reason I did not recommend it: most people cannot handle the disturbing violence and several non-violent but greatly disturbing scenes within the anime. In addition, the anime uses a substantial amount of subtlety and symbolism which most viewers tend not to notice as they get distracted by the incredible amounts of gore and nudity.

That aside, I can't believe I didn't mention Soul Eater. I have no idea if it's dubbed yet, but it is a funny anime with a very unique setting, a good plot, and unforgettable characters. I would definitely second watching this one.

puppyavenger
2010-11-04, 09:58 PM
O dear, we're really getting into it now. I would have recommended Elfen Lied in my first post, but I have learned it is an anime that is very much not for everyone. I thought it was beautifully done, and that it very thoroughly explored the themes of 'what it means to be human' and are 'humans inherently evil,' and it explored them in a way that was not abstract or censored in any way. In short, it delved deeply, right to the heart of the matter, and it handled it well. Unfortunately, the reason I did not recommend it: most people cannot handle the disturbing violence and several non-violent but greatly disturbing scenes within the anime. In addition, the anime uses a substantial amount of subtlety and symbolism which most viewers tend not to notice as they get distracted by the incredible amounts of gore and nudity.

That aside, I can't believe I didn't mention Soul Eater. I have no idea if it's dubbed yet, but it is a funny anime with a very unique setting, a good plot, and unforgettable characters. I would definitely second watching this one.

huh, I'll check them both out then.

A lot of good ones have already been mentioned, but I'll throw in:

Full Metal Panic! - Combination comedy/action/mecha series. The comedy is usually kept pretty separate of the action/mecha parts, though the second season is basically a pure comedy series.

Seto no Hanayome/My Bride is a Mermaid - This might not be for you if you're not as much into over-the-top series, but I just finished watching this one and enjoyed it far too much to not mention it. It's a comedy that features a lot of over-the-top voice acting, running jokes, and exaggerated art shifts.

Funimation has both of these series available to watch on their site, if I recall correctly.
I watched a few episodes of Full Metal Panic and didn't particularly like it, 'though that might be due to the fact that I was sick of anything that looked like a romantic comedy at that point.

Oh right, forgot to mention I've seen Haruhi as well. It was pretty good, although more mundane then expected and it didn't live up to the hype (living up to that shows up is probably impossible, but anyway). I'll check out the other ones

and thanks alot for the link

Tengu_temp
2010-11-04, 10:05 PM
I'd recommend against Elfen Lied, and not just because of the gratuitous violence. The problems I have with this anime is that all characters but Nana and Mayu are unlikable, constantly acting like jerks (hello, Yuka) or complete idiots (hello, Kouta), and that it tries to be deep really hard but fails at it. If you want to watch a cynical series with lots and lots of symbolism, Evangelion handles it a lot better.

golentan
2010-11-04, 10:10 PM
Hmm... I'd definitely recommend watching at least season one of darker than black for a dark, psychological-yet-action-packed drama. If you can watch that show through without reexamining your perspectives on what makes people people, I will eat my hat, and the action never loses tension (it's the only show I watched in recent memory where I seriously considered the protagonist could die in almost any given fight).

Now, for something completely different I also loved spice and wolf, which is an anime about... economics lessons. It is far better than it sounds, and is clever, funny, and touching all without falling into violence or an over-reliance on suspension of disbelief as a drama generator. Think death note but funnier with currency exchange in place of murder sprees.

I think my others top picks have all been mentioned here already, so...

puppyavenger
2010-11-04, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be sure to check out darker then back.

Tengu_temp
2010-11-04, 10:58 PM
By the way, GAD is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161385).

And I think you should check out Eden of the East. TV Tropes provides a good summary (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EdenOfTheEast). It's a great show with really smart writing, lots of movie references, and the perfect mix of funny, drama and action. It has both comedy and romance, but it is not a romantic comedy.

White_North
2010-11-04, 11:34 PM

Trust me, reading about doesn't quite cover what Gurren Lagann is. Watch the first eight or so episodes. If you don't like it then, that's fine. I just feel that Gurren Lagann isn't something that reading about can accurately capture. Give it a try, even if it doesn't look like your thing. I did, and I loved it.

Otherwise, imma just go ahead and reccomend a few others:

Mononoke. Not the movie, mind you. The 12-episode series about a nameless, ghost-exorcising Medicine Seller. It presents pretty much flat-out the best ghost stories I've ever read or seen, and I'm a huge horror fan. It's a personal favourite of mine and will definitely blow your mind.

Gankutsuou. A Sci-fi retelling of the literary classic The Count of Monte Cristo. Having read it and being a great French Literature admirer, I can tell you that this is the one adaptation that manages to rise almost to the same level as the original. It's complex, fascionating, has a unique artstyle, amazing characters and a rendition of the Count that is just as good, if not better, as the original. It's an amazing work and if you like drama, complex characters, gripping stories and stellar writing, I can pretty much guarantee you'll like it.

Hajime No Ippo. An anime about boxing and the one sports anime I love. Usually, sports animes devolve into Dragonball Tennis or some such silliness, and I love Hajime no Ippo for managing to remain fairly grounded throughout its run. It has solid characters, good animation and truly entertaining fights. A-grade anime that I throroughly reccomend if you want a good, fun time.

Last Exile. Steampunk/fantasy anime focusing on airships and how awesome they are. It has badass battle scenes, a solid and gripping storyline, great villains and some fantastic characters. Now, I warn you, despite how awesome it is, it does suffer from BSG syndrome. That is, it builds up incredible momentum and dramatic tension towards a finale that ultimately feels cheap and frustrating. Others may feel differently than I do, but the ending is honestly the worst thing about the anime and may cause unending amounts of rage. Everything else is amazing, though, so I still definitely reccomend it.

Bleach. Something of a guilty pleasure. Any Bleach fan here will happily tell you that, in recent times, the anime has devolved into utter mediocrity, but there was a time when it was pretty much as good as Shonen anime gets. Fun characters, an inventive setting and totally badass fight scenes. Watch it to the end of the Soul Society Arc, and you'll have a grand old time. But don't go beyond. Beyond lies the Bount. And madness.

Finally, I'll just say +1 to soul Eater. Great setting, great animation, great characters and overall great series. It does decline in quality during the second season, which is disappointing after how awesome the first season while, but still very good. Plus, watching Soul Eater is the only way to witness the infinite awesomeness that are Mifune and Stein. They by themselves constitute reason enough to watch it.

golentan
2010-11-04, 11:59 PM
Bah, Soul eater (post first season) gets way more awesome when you realize that the ending is the main character losing and possibly dying in lonely madness after the deaths of the rest of the cast. It's depressing as hell, but as a mindscrew it's almost unparalleled.

White_North
2010-11-05, 12:05 AM
Bah, Soul eater (post first season) gets way more awesome when you realize that the ending is the main character losing and possibly dying in lonely madness after the deaths of the rest of the cast. It's depressing as hell, but as a mindscrew it's almost unparalleled.

I'm most intrigued. Tell me more.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-11-05, 12:30 AM
DEFINITELY seconding Gankutsuou...it's...stunning. And I agree 100% with everything White_North said about it. Beautifully done adaptation, though the visual style can turn some folks off. I've heard great things about Mononoke, and Last Exile I saw the beginning of, and loved.

One recommendation I'll toss in there is Clannad. It's what I'd call a slice-of-life melodrama that dips into supernatural/fantasy territory a little, especially in After Story. Be warned: it can be very cheap when it comes to pushing emotional buttons and tugging heartstrings. The characters' stories are great, though. If nothing else, it's worth it for some of the side arcs of supporting characters. It's also great for how well everything (and I mean everything) fits together. Watching it a second time, you notice a lot more.

golentan
2010-11-05, 12:31 AM
I'm most intrigued. Tell me more.

Okay, spoilered...
So, Maka's final battle against the Kishin opens up with much the rest of the cast dead to all evidence. Shinigami-sama had been blown in half, Death the Kid and Black Star got smacked down in all of about 3 seconds, and were lying in the rubble not breathing, and maka goes to war. Now, what must be remembered is that the Kishin's greatest strength was not combat prowess but his ability to spread fear and through it madness: a state of lunatic fearlessness in those who we see infected. Maka continues to fight in the face of overwhelming odds, unnerving the Kishin because she seems fearless (an alien mindset to him). He has to figure this out, and so he turns his full attention on her. He promises to "break her mind and make her like him."

He physically and mentally violates her over the course of the battle, until it's revealed that she is still terrified but forcing herself to overcome her fear by overcoming it with what she calls courage. In that moment, the kishin relaxes, and smiles, because "it's just like my madness." He then disappears "defeated" from the scene, leaving her to find that all her friends safe and the world restored to peace. For the first time in the whole series, there's optimism for how things will be in the long term.

The whole scene carries some of the hallmarks of the earlier madness montages (particularly some of the ones where they assume they've accomplished their goals only to realize it was a hallucination), and it makes far too much sense to assume that he did exactly what he promised and simply left in boredom once he was satisfied with the outcome.

I wrote a short essay on how messed up the symbology and motifs in that show are, and basically rated it 7/10 at face value, 10/10 for psychological horror.

White_North
2010-11-05, 01:00 AM
Hmm. That's definitely interesting. I mean, I'm not sure if I agree with it, but that's an interesting view. The problem I have is that it's thematically inappropriate. I loved the Kishin as a villain because he was basically an anime version of Hamlet. The whole theme of madness in the anime revolves aorund fear. Characters are just so desperately afraid of things that it drives them insane. Having Maka go insane because of hope for victory just seems somewhat inapropriate. Plus, it makes the anime pretty needlessly dark. The entire anime revolves aorund fear, and the ending was particularly well-done because it presented the other side of fear, the side that galvanizes people into action, inspires hope and invites greatness. It showed Maka as a good protagonist to pose against the Kishin. Where he represents fear paralysing the senses and causing despair, she shows fear as pushing people to action in order to overcome it. That's why he says "It's just like my madness". Both Maka and the Kishin are governed by fear. It's in their reaction to fear that they differ. Those are, after all, the two basic responses to fear: fight and flight. Having Maka go insane adds little, thematically, and would just feel like a gratuitous mindscrew.

Still, though, it's a fun mindscrew to consider. I just like the more normal interpretation of the ending. I feel that it fits in better and rounds out the series nicely.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-05, 01:24 AM

Thank you so much for putting that in spoilers for people (like myself) who are still watching the series for the first time.:smallannoyed:

golentan
2010-11-05, 01:29 AM
But she doesn't go insane out of hope, she deludes herself into hope to cope with the fear. Both the protagonists and the kishin are similar in that they will lash out to remove the objects of their fear, and that's sort of the point. It will take action to save itself. Some of it's actions appear quite brave in fact, if you ignore the fact it feels pushed to them by greater threats. The kishin is an internal enemy: something which every person could become if they let themselves. That's the whole point of shibusen. Something that it's easier to become the more you fear it. It's the little voice that whispers about the dark places and the things that go bump in the night. It's part of the reason that he was the greatest student of shinigami-sama before he went mad: the same things which inspired him to greatness tipped him over the edge, the same way that Stein walks that line during the show.

Edit: @^ Sorry.

tyckspoon
2010-11-05, 01:43 AM
mm. Soul Eater took the Full Metal Alchemist route and just wrote a new story when it overran the manga, huh? I suppose I should watch that, then, I've just been following the book.

Terraoblivion
2010-11-05, 05:47 AM
Do you have a particular dislike of economics? Because if not i will definitely recommend Spice and Wolf. The story is essentially about a traveling peddler in the late middle ages who meets a wolf goddess who feels that her worshippers aren't appreciating her anymore and wants to go home. Now at this point you would think that the show either became focused on the magic and wonder of having a goddess around or devolved into fanservice. It doesn't, instead it focuses on the pair trying to ensure that he makes it big as a merchant so he can open his own shop like he wants. In addition to the best depiction of economics i have seen in any work of fiction, it also features very well written dialog between the two main characters. While there is romance and the show is fairly light in tone, calling it romantic comedy would be quite off unless you have a very broad definition of the genre.

I would also very much like to second the recommendation for Eden of the the East. If you were to ask me it is easily the best show of 2009, filled to the brim with clever writing, odd recurring motifs and likable characters. It does have a problem in that the two movies that conclude the plot haven't been translated yet as far as i know.

Finally i'd throw in a recommendation for Azumanga Daioh. A slice of life comedy about a group of rather eccentric Japanese high school girls and their just as strange and immature teachers, it predates the host of moe shows released over the last few years with a similar premise. As such it dwells much less on how cute the girls are than it does on how funny the crazy things they do are and most of the time that is very funny. Pretty much anybody who has seen the series will remember the scene where Osaka tries to wake their teacher up.

SparkMandriller
2010-11-05, 05:55 AM
You should watch Strike Witches.

It's the best anime ever.

Drascin
2010-11-05, 06:39 AM
Many people from the General Anime thread have mentioned most I would say, and this is good. But I have not seen a recommendation for Seirei no Moribito, and this makes me sad. It's a very low-key fantasy story, with lots of character development, awesome combat (there are very few of them, but the ones there are are beautifully choreographed), and lots of very likable characters in both sides of the coin. And the animation is just... beautiful. It has a bit of a problem with pacing in a couple places, but otherwise it's a very, very good series.

Oh, and if you ever feel stressed, go and watch ARIA. That show is basically Valium in animated form. Barely anything happens, and yet through a combination of great soundtrack, stunning visual, endearing character interaction, and a certain odd mystique about it all, you come out of it smiling like an idiot :smalltongue:.

puppyavenger
2010-11-05, 06:45 AM
okay, so that should be enough anime for me to watch for a while, thanks for all the suggestions!

kamikasei
2010-11-05, 06:58 AM
I feel I should speak up to contradict this. I watched Death Note and enjoyed it a lot. I had Code Geass pitched to me as "like Death Note if Light had a mech instead of a magical notebook". In some ways that's true, but while I ultimately enjoyed Code Geass, it was for quite different reasons than I'd enjoyed Death Note. Watch it on its own terms and don't expect it to scratch all the same itches.

Eldan
2010-11-05, 07:01 AM
Aye. They aren't really all the same, apart from having main characters that make a lot of plans against each other.

Oh, and Ghost in the Shell (any of it, movies or series) has not been recommended yet? That's a shame. Because it's better. Better than what you ask? Yes.

Cyberpunk-crime-action-antiterror-philosophy-detective series. And a few more words. Also, the movies are amongst the most beautiful things ever made.

Murillio
2010-11-05, 08:33 AM
I'll second Berserk. There are rumors that they will do to Berserk what they did with Full Metal Alchemist -- remake it and continue the story with manga plot.

Another second for Last Exile. I rented it on a whim and turned out to be very enjoyable. The anime melds with CGI really well and the animation is top notch. Some parts are reminiscent of Porco Rosso.

Second for Mushishi which IS a masterpiece anime in its genre. Mushishi shares many similarities with Kino's Journey, where the premise is sharing stand alone stories that the main character is involved with. The stories fall under the horror and mythical fantasy.

Two anime's that I'd like to recommend that haven't been recommend are:

Gintama (with description from TV Tropes.)

"Gintama is the sometimes-anachronistic brainchild of Sorachi Hideaki, who had originally intended to create a manga inspired by an NHK drama about the Shinsengumi. However, despite the historical connotations that the Edo period brings, it's a Gag Series in one of its most warped states, filled with references to everything under the sun (even fellow Shounen Jump series such as Bleach and Naruto are not immune to lampooning,) ridiculous puns, sight gags and a liberal dash of action to top it all off. Stories tend to emphasize a no such thing as black and white and how that plays into the Japanese concept of honor."

This series makes fun of EVERYTHING. Some memorable episodes/arcs involve sand paper toilet paper, alien's who turned 'body parts' into tools, and a robot who saves a sushi business by excreting perfectly made food dishes out her behind.

The last:

One Piece

There was a time where I was skeptical about One Piece -- my excuse was the art eh or pirates eh. I started to read One Piece while waiting to be called upstairs for Jury Duty. Surprisingly One Piece is very enjoyable and the anime keeps fans entertained even with fillers. Most complaints about the anime are that it's slow in the beginning, but gets better later on -- which it does. Someone mentioned that it's best for newcomers to start with the Water 7 arc because it starts off with a compilation of past events, but it doesn't have the same flavor. Any way it's only a guilty pleasure.

As a side: Bleach anime is better than the manga.

Wargor
2010-11-05, 08:49 AM
As a side: Bleach anime is better than the manga.

Lies. The anime has the horrible filler arcs.

Psyren
2010-11-05, 09:07 AM

It also has bonus material (Ashido, Harribel's background, Aizen's full curbstomp battle etc.) So it's a wash, really.

Just check which ones are filler and safely skip them.

_Zoot_
2010-11-05, 09:18 AM
For my part I will recommend Code Geass, because it is awesome!

I would also recommend Neon Genesis Evangelion, it is a bit of an... interesting ending, but none the less very much worth watching.

Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is a fantastic one, so long as you like scifi, and don't mind discussion on what it is to be human.

Full Metal Alchemist is great, this one I would strongly recommend as it is one of the better ones out there.

Sorry if these seem a bit vague, I'm tired. :smalltongue:

Wargor
2010-11-05, 09:19 AM
Well, I stopped watching the anime after the filler arc with that evil-fire-spewing-captain, but the bonus material I'd seen wasn't fantastic at that point.

Psyren
2010-11-05, 10:06 AM
Well, I stopped watching the anime after the filler arc with that evil-fire-spewing-captain, but the bonus material I'd seen wasn't fantastic at that point.

Handy guide to avoiding filler:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bleach_episodes

Don't forget to fast-forward through flashbacks :smalltongue:

Wargor
2010-11-05, 10:15 AM
Handy guide to avoiding filler:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bleach_episodes

Don't forget to fast-forward through flashbacks :smalltongue:

Thanks, but I dunno if I have the will to watch them again after reading the manga up to date. :smalltongue:

Psyren
2010-11-05, 10:47 AM
Thanks, but I dunno if I have the will to watch them again after reading the manga up to date. :smalltongue:

That's actually the best reason to watch; lots of material that was either left unsaid in the manga or only briefly touched-on got expanded there.

But I don't want to derail this thread. Trust me, watch the anime. (Seeing all the different-colored cero is very cool as well.)

Wargor
2010-11-05, 12:16 PM
That's actually the best reason to watch; lots of material that was either left unsaid in the manga or only briefly touched-on got expanded there.

But I don't want to derail this thread. Trust me, watch the anime. (Seeing all the different-colored cero is very cool as well.)

Hmm, if I find the time I might have to. Time to remember exactly where I got up to. :smalltongue:

Murillio
2010-11-05, 12:45 PM
It also has bonus material (Ashido, Harribel's background, Aizen's full curbstomp battle etc.) So it's a wash, really.

Just check which ones are filler and safely skip them.

Yeah, it's more the bonus material.

Manga wise spoilers:

After the Soul Society Arc there wasn't Bleach wasn't to interesting. It picked up when they had the Urahara flashback arc. One of my favorites. And of course the more recent finale with Ichigo's new DBZish powers. That was short lived though, because he lost his powers almost as fast as he gained them (from our perspective.)

puppyavenger
2010-11-06, 12:51 AM
Okay, so I just finished Darker than Black and it was awesome (also, thank you very much for the link to that streaming site, saved me some effort and let me waste my day watching TV_

golentan
2010-11-06, 12:54 AM
Didn't I tell you? I told you.

Just... the sequel (Ryuusei no Gemini) failed in comparison... and honestly in general. :smallannoyed::smallfrown:

puppyavenger
2010-11-06, 01:06 AM
Didn't I tell you? I told you.

Just... the sequel (Ryuusei no Gemini) failed in comparison... and honestly in general. :smallannoyed::smallfrown:

..Isn't Hei pretty much a localized god at the end of the first season? How does anyone threaten him when he can turn their guns to water or their brains to hydrofluoric acid?

TSGames
2010-11-06, 01:21 AM
..Isn't Hei pretty much a localized god at the end of the first season? How does anyone threaten him when he can turn their guns to water or their brains to hydrofluoric acid?

When he looses his contractor abilities, it puts everyone else on a more equal footing....

I also think the second season was a tremendous flop in comparison to the first, in every way. It's not horrible or unwatchable, but it's certainly not great.

puppyavenger
2010-11-06, 01:28 AM
When he looses his contractor abilities, it puts everyone else on a more equal footing....

But..he's got complete control of everything from the indivisible building blocks of the universe up, how exactly do you do anything to him? he's effectively omnipotent.

Also, why didn't he just give everyone he cares about face-lifts and, I don't know, getting degrees in biology, chemistry and physics to make sure he doesn't accidentally destroy a city or something?

TSGames
2010-11-06, 02:12 AM
But..he's got complete control of everything from the indivisible building blocks of the universe up, how exactly do you do anything to him? he's effectively omnipotent.

Also, why didn't he just give everyone he cares about face-lifts and, I don't know, getting degrees in biology, chemistry and physics to make sure he doesn't accidentally destroy a city or something?
You bring up some fair points.

That's all I got. The second season just wasn't as good as the first. If you're desperately curious, the event I talked about happens in the first or second episode of the series. It all relies on him being effectively omnipotent but not omniscient, and as to if you choose to accept it or if you choose to say 'that's some serious bull****,' well....that's entirely up to you. I'm still on that fence for the whole second season. In all honesty, your time would be better spent and yield more enjoyment if you moved on to another anime.

P.S. I've yet to meet someone that liked Cowboy Beebop and did not like Samurai Champloo. ;)

Eldan
2010-11-06, 05:53 AM
P.S. I've yet to meet someone that liked Cowboy Beebop and did not like Samurai Champloo. ;)

*hand up*
Here. Me.

Or rather, I loved Cowboy Bebop and consider it one of the, oh, probably three best shows ever made. Samurai champloo is way lower on the list. It wasn't really bad, mind you, but just didn't feel as good as Cowboy Bebop. And I thought every piece of music used was incredibly annoying.

Asthix
2010-11-06, 08:07 AM
I'll do it, I'll recommend Naruto! I avoided it for years and then someone showed me an episode. I found you can watch the whole series for free on Hulu, and even though its a 'kids manga' was sucked in by the great storytelling.

With that said though, One Piece is better with enough episodes to keep you busy for a long time.

I also have and enjoy Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex and Last Exile. (This one is all slick airbattles)

Also, See the movie Paprika. It's that awesome.
RIP Satoshi Kon 10/ 12/ 1963 - 8/ 24/ 2010

puppyavenger
2010-11-06, 10:01 AM
You bring up some fair points.

That's all I got. The second season just wasn't as good as the first. If you're desperately curious, the event I talked about happens in the first or second episode of the series. It all relies on him being effectively omnipotent but not omniscient, and as to if you choose to accept it or if you choose to say 'that's some serious bull****,' well....that's entirely up to you. I'm still on that fence for the whole second season. In all honesty, your time would be better spent and yield more enjoyment if you moved on to another anime.

true enough, just one more thing. Was there ever an explanation for why Hei's eyes are so creepy?

I'll do it, I'll recommend Naruto! I avoided it for years and then someone showed me an episode. I found you can watch the whole series for free on Hulu, and even though its a 'kids manga' was sucked in by the great storytelling.

With that said though, One Piece is better with enough episodes to keep you busy for a long time.

I also have and enjoy Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex and Last Exile. (This one is all slick airbattles)

Also, See the movie Paprika. It's that awesome.
RIP Satoshi Kon 10/ 12/ 1963 - 8/ 24/ 2010

I'm Canadian, no Hulu for me.

TSGames
2010-11-06, 12:37 PM
true enough, just one more thing. Was there ever an explanation for why Hei's eyes are so creepy?

I don't think that was ever explained....I think it's just one of his character traits, like his enormous appetite, that help to make him unique.

Lady Tialait
2010-11-06, 01:48 PM
I personally love Slayers, Sailor Moon, and Ronin Warriors but that is just me.

Irbis
2010-11-07, 12:35 PM
Why, Wakfu (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166548), of course :P

Ok, technically, it's only half-anime, but it beats most of the above examples hands-down.

I could also second Slayers, GitS, S&Wolf, Suzumiya, and SW.

Golbez
2010-11-08, 02:09 PM
I see Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, Mushishi, Gankutsuou and some other great anime have already been named.

Im still planning to watch Eden of the the East and Seirei no Moribito (and maybe mononoke).

Now for some other personal favorites
Honey with Clover. One of the best slice of live anime that hasn't been named here yet.

Haibane Renamei A bit slow paced slice of live / supernatural anime with powerfull emotions.

Kaiji Cool anime about gambling. Sadly the anime doesn't reach the end of the manga and thus has a kinda open ending. Still worth it I think, especially if you can get the manga to continue there. A warning: this is not exactly lighthearted. (tho I didnt find it depressing)

Skip Beat! A more lighthearted series about acting. Lots of fun and never seems to drag.

The Twelve Kingdoms A rather slow paced adventure anime.

Dennō Coil Shool/Adventure that takes place in the near future with augmented reality only visible with special glasses. Suitable for kids, but suitable for adults too.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi One of my favorites. Great comedy that parodies other genre. But it also has a plot on its own that I really like.

Gokudou-kun Manyuuki Another comedy that is one of my favorites. The main character is a jerk till the end of the show. But he still gets tricked into doing good several times.

I still have more I recommend, but I'll cut it short for now. :smallsmile:

puppyavenger
2010-11-08, 07:54 PM
Okay, so I just finished the last episode of Soul Eater, and it was quite good( while, except for the ending. I mean really courage? Is one little girl not following this immortal demon-gods paradigm really so traumatic? he just beat Death to a pulp!

Also, Black Star. I really hate him for some reason.

Anyway, I'd just like to thank everyone for all the good recommendations!

TSGames
2010-11-08, 10:26 PM
Okay, so I just finished the last episode of Soul Eater, and it was quite good( while, except for the ending. I mean really courage? Is one little girl not following this immortal demon-gods paradigm really so traumatic? he just beat Death to a pulp!

Yeah, I felt the same way. Except for that part, it's a pretty good anime.

As to the next part :( I liked Black Star.....

P.S. Dang, you don't mess around with your anime watching.

turkishproverb
2010-11-08, 10:57 PM
If it helps, I've watched and enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, Trigun, Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Naming a few noone else has named based directly on your choices:
Outlaw Star -Great show, and if you're a Cowboy bebop and Trigun fan, you're in familiar territory
Witch Hunter Robin -great show, some similar themes to FMA and Death Note

Others that come to mind, but are less directly similar to the shows you listed:
Space Pirate Captain Herlock (Harlock)
Big O
Giant Robo
Bubblegum Crisis

golentan
2010-11-09, 01:46 AM

Also, Black Star. I really hate him for some reason.

Anyway, I'd just like to thank everyone for all the good recommendations!

So... try my fridge-horror version. A summary is earlier in the thread.

Also, black star is much more palatable to me just seeing him as a giant finger lifted in salute to naruto.

Psyren
2010-11-09, 09:46 AM
Also, black star is much more palatable to me just seeing him as a giant finger lifted in salute to naruto.

Wow, you're right - I can almost stand him if I see him as a walking parody like that.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-09, 10:44 AM

I don't like Black Star that much. When I first started watching the series I found him slightly annoying but more quirky. He was extremely hyperactive and over the top but that added some charm to him. Not to mention, of the seven main characters, he had the most variety in his attacks.

But as the series progressed...

Anyone else find it odd that he is just fine with the fact the Soul Society killed his family when he was just a little kid? I mean I know they were assassins, and the Soul Society did raise him thereafter, but still these people killed everyone you had a blood connection to. How could you not be angry at them on some mental level.

Also, he became an annoying jerk after he lost that fight with that one samurai (forget his name), and he lost all appeal.

Though that's just my two cents.

TSGames
2010-11-09, 12:16 PM
Anyone else find it odd that he is just fine with the fact the Soul Society killed his family when he was just a little kid? I mean I know they were assassins, and the Soul Society did raise him thereafter, but still these people killed everyone you had a blood connection to. How could you not be angry at them on some mental level.

Also, he became an annoying jerk after he lost that fight with that one samurai (forget his name), and he lost all appeal.

Though that's just my two cents.

I thought he had made it clear that he didn't care because the Star clan had been evil and was devouring souls. A large part of his character was doing justice to the family name by not being evil.

That aside, to some people, some ties are just thicker than blood.

Lost Demiurge
2010-11-09, 01:50 PM
I can't believe no one's mentioned my favorite yet...

Mix one part Cowboy Bebop, two parts shadowrun, one part 90's action movie and one part GITS-style philosophy and you've got Black Lagoon.
The Premise: A Japanese businessman gets kidnapped from a cruise ship in the South China sea, and falls in with a group of ruthless-yet-awesome pirates, eventually getting sucked into dealing with the different factions and personalities that populate Roanapur, a fictional Thai city of scum and villainy. The script is tight, the characters are well done, the action is beautifully choreographed, and the humor is blacker than darkest night. Give it a look, if you can!

Brewdude
2010-11-09, 03:17 PM
+666 for Black Lagoon. Awesome stuffs there

Carnificus
2010-11-09, 05:17 PM
Most people have already put down my favorite anime, but I'll just reiterate some of the better ones and some to stay away from.

My number one anime is Clannad, hands down. It has two seasons and the first one is pretty good but the second one is amazing. However you might not like it, it's a bit of comedy and drama and romance. So if you're looking for action definitely don't watch it, I think there's maybe four fight scenes in the entire anime.

Providing you do like action here is a short anime that I also like a lot, it's called "Angel Beats!" yeah it sounds really stupid, but it's not, it's a comedy along with an action, and towards the later half of the series it plays into the romance genre a bit. It's really entertaining though.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. NOT Full Metal Alchemist, the difference between the two series is massive, and Brotherhood blows the first series out of the water, if you liked the first one at all you're almost required to watch Brotherhood.

Those are all solid subbed anime, but yeah, they're subbed, so if you don't want to watch subbed then here are a few fully dubbed anime that are good.

-Fooly Cooly, six episodes of epic win.
-Samurai 7, based on seven samurai, the fifties epic, farmers are all terrorized by bandits throughout the land, and one village takes it upon themselves to hire a group of samurai to fight them off.
-Code Geass, like everyone has already said, it's awesome.
-Mushi-shi, it's hard to explain just why exactly it's so amazing but take my word for it when I say it's true, watch the first few episodes and you'll be convinced.

Also just fair warning, avoid Bleach. There's Bleach fans everywhere, I used to be one, but when you faithfully watch it for years and they reward you with filler season after filler season you get a bit tired of it. I ended up just switching to the manga after awhile and even that's become a complete disappointment >_>

Anyway, hope that helped a bit ^_^

White_North
2010-11-09, 08:43 PM
-Fooly Cooly, six episodes of epic win.

I cannot believe everyone forgot to mention Fooly Cooly until the third page. Thank you, Carnificus, for bringing it up. I cannot emphasize enough how awesome this anime is. Anyone who hasn't seen it has the moral obligation to watch it as soon as humanly possible. Yes. It's that good.

I was trying to find a good way to describe FLCL, but really the only way to appropriately sum it up would be to say that FLCL is what would come out if you locked James Joyce in a room full of LSD and told him to write a story about giant robots.

On another note, +1 to Black Lagoon. Very good show.

Liriel
2010-11-09, 09:01 PM
In no particular order:

Nurarihyon No Mago

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo

I've been watching the Iron Man anime lately too, not bad thus far....great job on Tony Stark.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Kaze no Stigma

puppyavenger
2010-11-10, 02:25 PM
P.S. Dang, you don't mess around with your anime watching.

I've had a few days off, and if I want to do something I usually do it all at once or I loose interest or forget about it:smalltongue:

I actually like that interpretation of the ending, even if it is a bit depressing.

darkblade
2010-11-11, 05:09 PM
Bokurano (http://www.anilinkz.com/category/bokurano/), seriously watch Bokurano.

This is the Kingdom Come to Evangelion's Watchmen (which is a comparison I hesitate to make since while Evangelion had a major impact on it's genre and medium comparable to Watchmen it wasn't as well put together and deals with completely different themes). It distills everything that worked the more cynical take on super robots piloted by children, threw out the pretensious symbolism, raised the stakes and found likable yet damaged children to do horrible things to. All that and it still ends on an idealistic note.

Princess Tutu, don't walk away just yet. I know the name of the series and the fact that it is about a duck that becomes a ballerina and then a super magical girl ballerina to save a prince's heart with the power of ballet sounds incredibly girly and you'd be right in thinking that for the first season, which is primarily a buildup towards the second season where things get quite dark, vicious and post modern. It starts as Card Captors Sakura WITH BALLET but it ends as Grant Morrisson's Animal Man WITH A SOUNDTRACK OF DUELING GUITAR NINJAS REMIXS OF BALLET.

Irbis
2010-11-11, 07:19 PM
Mix one part Cowboy Bebop, two parts shadowrun, one part 90's action movie and one part GITS-style philosophy and you've got Black Lagoon.

Erm... is that any good? :smallconfused:

I tried to watch it, but I was forced to gnash my teeth after

rude shooter girl (I hate the type) walks in with two pistols into a room full of guys with AKs, then proceeds to shoot them all, never missing. Guys just miss, or stay still doing nothing at all. And die, of course.

I suppose it was to give her major points, but all it did was to make her Mry Sue.

Then, the mini-boss, ultra-stereotypical mercenary chief,

begins spouting random nonsense about duels/honor (um, he IS mercenary, right...?), grabs a helicopter (um, these guys are seriously armed...) and goes (alone) after the military torpedo boat of the protagonists (um, seriously, is all that heavy stuff free?). When he finds them, he spots more nonsense about duels, proves to be just as a bad shoot as his guys (with a guided missiles and 2000+ rounds-per-minute guns!) then, instead of going after the heroes, he decides to wait for them in his magic copter that never runs out of fuel.

The good guys proceed then to listen to captive, who has no military experience at all, and instead of waiting out fuel reserve in magic heli, they

proceed to torpedo it. A helicopter. What.

Whatwhatwhat.

Did the pilot struggled to keep it perfectly still (without which this stunt would have failed, as one twitch would jump it dozen metres to the side, and keeping helis still so close to ground takes major skill)? Did someone forget to tell the authors magic heli uses the blades for lift, and the torpedo would just bounce out of the air wall?

Does it get better later? I tried to watch some later episode, but its portrayal of

USSR Specnaz was so nonsensical and Mary-Sueish I turned that off again.

I really wanted to watch this, really, I love stories about mercenaries/spec units, but when you have so many awesome real stories, why you need to film action scenes that make the teeth of the watcher who knows a bit about them ache? :smallfrown:

Lost Demiurge
2010-11-11, 08:28 PM

I tried to watch it, but I was forced to gnash my teeth after...

Black Lagoon probably isn't your cup of tea, then. It takes place in a world where action movie physics and rule of cool trump reality. Not to the degree of Gurren Lagann, but enough of one that if you come in looking for realism you're gonna hate it.

Think Hong Kong action cinema.

Fri
2010-11-11, 09:32 PM

I tried to watch it, but I was forced to gnash my teeth after

rude shooter girl (I hate the type) walks in with two pistols into a room full of guys with AKs, then proceeds to shoot them all, never missing. Guys just miss, or stay still doing nothing at all. And die, of course.

I suppose it was to give her major points, but all it did was to make her Mry Sue.

Then, the mini-boss, ultra-stereotypical mercenary chief,

begins spouting random nonsense about duels/honor (um, he IS mercenary, right...?), grabs a helicopter (um, these guys are seriously armed...) and goes (alone) after the military torpedo boat of the protagonists (um, seriously, is all that heavy stuff free?). When he finds them, he spots more nonsense about duels, proves to be just as a bad shoot as his guys (with a guided missiles and 2000+ rounds-per-minute guns!) then, instead of going after the heroes, he decides to wait for them in his magic copter that never runs out of fuel.

The good guys proceed then to listen to captive, who has no military experience at all, and instead of waiting out fuel reserve in magic heli, they

proceed to torpedo it. A helicopter. What.

Whatwhatwhat.

Did the pilot struggled to keep it perfectly still (without which this stunt would have failed, as one twitch would jump it dozen metres to the side, and keeping helis still so close to ground takes major skill)? Did someone forget to tell the authors magic heli uses the blades for lift, and the torpedo would just bounce out of the air wall?

Does it get better later? I tried to watch some later episode, but its portrayal of

USSR Specnaz was so nonsensical and Mary-Sueish I turned that off again.

I really wanted to watch this, really, I love stories about mercenaries/spec units, but when you have so many awesome real stories, why you need to film action scenes that make the teeth of the watcher who knows a bit about them ache? :smallfrown:

The person above me is right. If you're watching it and expecting realism, it's like watching rambo 3 or crouching tiger hidden dragon and expecting realism. It runs in rule of action movie cool. Where people gunfight by jumping around and you can dodge bullet by moving really fast.

It's like watching this movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UHCSzGLKdA) and gnashing your teeth angrily while saying "physics don't work like that!" :smallbiggrin:

not the point.

Eldan
2010-11-12, 03:56 AM
Yeah, I mean, you didn't even watch to the point where the Nazi, the Yakuza and the chinese Swordsmen turned up...

Irbis
2010-11-12, 05:53 AM
Think Hong Kong action cinema.

But... but... but... I like HK action cinema :smallfrown:

Still, Jackie Chan at least tries to pretend, he doesn't move at snail's pace when the bad guys "cannot" hit him, nor does he wade into a room full of gunmen with no preparation at all.

I guess my biggest gripe was not action scenes, but idiocy of the characters - both pro- and antagonist. I can buy someone is skilled enough to win impossible fight. I cannot buy when said person wins the fight by being Mary Sue, not by using her skills. And the others expecting her to do that. Sorry, "not being able to miss" is not a skill. I cannot buy a mercenary behaving like a bad child of twirling moustache villain and a samurai, while being ostensibly western soldier. Oh, and his cache of villain matter to boot.

And, the worst thing of all, the series was done by someone who had no idea how military stuff works, and even how it looks most of the time. Heck, also having less knowledge about the region than me, though I was never interested in it. It was a massive research failure on all fronts.

I greatly enjoyed a similar series, GC, also starring invincible woman gunfighter, Rally Vincent, because Sonoda happens to know how the guns work/look, uses believable tactics, and most importantly, when Rally's tactics lack, she can lose.

Is that series over the top, with Rally being far more awesome than a battalion of Space Marines? Sure, but to me, that is being run by rule of cool. It was awesome. Black Lagoon, as far as I saw, was run by rule of Sue.

It's like watching this movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UHCSzGLKdA) and gnashing your teeth angrily while saying "physics don't work like that!" :smallbiggrin:

I'd gnash my teeth there too, unless all these guys were bribed to die in the most idiotic way to help the hero.

But at least is was slightly entertaining, unlike scenes in BL :P

Fri
2010-11-12, 06:25 AM
Ah, there is where black lagoon differs than gunsmith cats.

Gunsmith cats is aiming realistic. black lagoon is not. They're in different reality level.

Do you watch mecha anime? Think of it like comparing, say, gundam and mazinger. They simply work on different level of reality. If you're watching mazinger and saying 'reality doesn't work that way! rocket punch totally won't work!' you're watching the wrong series.

In gundam, rocket drill punch won't work because it's trying to keep itself realistic, and the focus is in the military trope and such. It tries to explain why people need giant robot in war and how beam weaponry work and things like that. In mazinger, they don't care about things like G-force or limited ammunition or realistic depiction of beam weaponry. Robots simply threw mountains at each others.

But even gundam is less realistic than, say patlabor, where they even try to keep the reality level even more real. Beam weaponry and flying mech simply won't happen, because in real life it can't happen. Robots can only do limited job and work at limited time because they think on how giant robots would work for real in real life.

If you're watching mazinger and expecting patlabor level realism, you'll be disappointed.

The_Shaman
2010-11-12, 07:56 AM
Hmm, I was off the stuff for a while, but here are a few series that I liked or am currently watching.

Noir: nice action series with a bit of intrigue, revolving around a duo of hit(wo)men who, between jobs, eventually find out about a secret conspiracy that has been pulling their strings. It's got good music (one of my favourite soundtracks all in all), the fight scenes go from very good to awesome, and as a bonus it's not set mainly in Japan. There aren't that many negatives about it - my biggest problem was that the baddies occasionally suffer from a bad case of A-Team Firing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ATeamFiring) (not as bad as Black Lagoon, but still), and my favourite character (Mireille) seemed to be the weakest one in the end. It's not quite as realistic as Gunsmith Cats (which I also found enjoyable - too bad it's so short), but I found that I didn't mind that at all.

Saiyuki: it's bean a while since I watched this one. It's based on Journey to the West, as it were, with the team composed of your average cast of (male) models-slash-actionguys. Apart from that, I liked it - I found the plot pleasant, the characters likeable and not too cliched, and there was a bit of action to smoothen things up.

Ghost Hunt: a recent suggestion from a friend, I found it quite enjoyable. It revolves around the exploits of a paranormal investigation company in modern-day Japan. Apart from the regular cast - new girl, genius boy boss, and silent big assistant - they also occasionally call on a rather eclectic cast of helpers, including a famous TV medium, a rocker moonlighting as a buddhist monk, a self-styled shrine maiden (sans the shrine, and I'd say the whole "maiden" bit), and a catholic (I think) priest probably still not of legal age. It has some nice suspence and reminded me a bit of Scooby Doo, only with more "real" supernatural entities. If you can get over the "storyteller" character developing an obvious crush on her boss - I almost did - it's a pretty decent series.

Finally, I'm currently watching Blade of the Immortal, and I'm torn. Ok, the premise is that it's a shogunate-era action, where a girl bent on revenge against a martial arts school travels with a guy who, quite literally, can't die before he kills a whole lot of bad guys. It's not a bad samurai-ish movie on its own, a few times reminding me at times but is a lot darker. I am having a serious problem with the protagonist, though. You see, this series was based on a manga series, which I can't recommend enough if you are into pseudo-historical action. It's gorgeously drawn, the action is good if hard to follow, and a lot of the characters - especially the main one - are honest-to-goodness grade A-*********ing-Plus badasses. The series starts with an episode that... to put it mildly, does not do the best of them (Manji) justice. It's like the first episode of Hellsing starting with Alucard acting like some pretentious emo git.He gets some of his mojo back afterwards, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

Also, while they might not be quite the OPs thing, I'd say it never hurts to watch Rurouni Kenshin (samurai-ish), at least until they finish the Shishio arc, and the first Hellsing series. I also second Outlaw Star, Witch Hunter Robin, Seirei no Moribito and GitS Standalone Complex (or the first movie - only watch the second when you have more experience with the series). Oh, and did someone mention liking Cowboy Bebop and NOT liking Samurai Champloo? CB is one of my all-time faves, and I found Champloo to be quite average. It's not as bad as watching Madlax after Noir (not saying Madlax is bad per se, just not nearly as good and incredibly slow for the first 15-ish episodes), but it was still pretty underwhelming.

BTW, I was just curious - how exactly was Black Lagoon an inaccurate portrayal of former USSR special forces turned gangsters? I'm not saying it is accurate, just that I doubt most of us have any special experience there :D .

Irbis
2010-11-12, 08:22 AM
There aren't that many negatives about it - my biggest problem was that the baddies occasionally suffer from a bad case of A-Team Firing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ATeamFiring) (not as bad as Black Lagoon, but still), and my favourite character seemed to be the weakest one in the end.

Yeah, not as bad, but...

This was more due to the lack of time, but I have watched it to a point where mini-boss decided to dress like spider, cling to the roof by some gear, and to fight the armed gunslingers by falling on them.

I almost died laughing :smallsigh:

BTW, I was just curious - how exactly was Black Lagoon an inaccurate portrayal of former USSR special forces turned gangsters? I'm not saying it is accurate, just that I doubt most of us have any special experience there :D

I'd have to re-watch that scene, but:

A) Soviet Specnaz in Afghan didn't have any women. Hell, Specnaz in general didn't have women in their ranks; true, some exceptional individuals excelling in shooting and in combat sports were drawn to the Specnaz units, but these were all kept in reserve for infiltration of the West in case of III World War, the logic being all-men western militaries would ignore women in stealth ops, they were certainly not wasted in Afghan. At least, all the books about if I read had all-men, second grade Specnaz units. The creme was in West Germany.

B) Even if a lone woman happened to be in Afghan, she would almost certainly never end up in command. Soviet military, despite allowing women a lot earlier than the west, was pretty conservative and they rarely commanded anything other than all-women units.

C) The equipment they were drawn in in the flashback was laughable, as was the reason of their survival (basically being so badass the enemies couldn't hit them, just like that pistol-woman protagonis).

D) The one phrase they uttered didn't resembled Russian at all. Sure, anime are generally bad about this, the KGB assassin from Gunsmith Cats and the one from GitS also were someone who never spoke Russian even once while trying to imitate it - but I'd expect them being capable of hiring some Russian actor for 5 minutes, seeing how 2 major Russian cities are right next to Japan.

E) The name of the Russian commander - something like ukulele. Sorry, Specnaz indeed used nicknames, but if she were half as badass as they claimed she was, she'd never pick that, or let others do it. For one, they were supposed to be short, to the point, and easily identified by the radio/whisper, not tongue twisters. They grabbed first exotic word they could think of, IMHO.

F) And a few other things I'm not sure I remember correctly :P Does anyone have youtube link with their appearance?

Lost Demiurge
2010-11-12, 09:19 AM
But at least is was slightly entertaining, unlike scenes in BL :P

All right, I get it, you don't like it. You've explained your reasons why and I agree with you. From your point of view it's crap. Me, I'm not so picky but that's neither here nor there.

We GET it. Let's move on. You dissing my favorite for s*** that's entirely within its genre is getting old.

Irbis
2010-11-12, 10:00 AM
You dissing my favorite for s*** that's entirely within its genre is getting old.

I did not. I was asked a question, and I answered it. If you look to the beginning of the thread, you might see I specifically asked if that gets better later, and that I love similar series.

I only regret you couldn't tell me that it does get better later, and that the characters become more sympathetic and less cliche.

Eldan
2010-11-12, 10:32 AM
As for characters getting better or deeper... not... really. Revy and Rock get what might be called a bit of development, but honestly, not much. The various organisations and antagonists get more and more over the top: Yakuza, sword-wielding chinese chicks, Nazi submariners, a terminator housemaid, children, knife-fighters in gunfights...
And survival of any character is and stays based mostly on how over the top they act in any given fight. Jumping around with two pistols in the open in front of a group of assault-rifle wielding mercenaries is the least of your worries, there.

So, really: if you want anything approaching realistic strategies, watch a different show. I think it's fun if you can switch of your brain and enjoy the spectacle, but most of the time I'm also not in the mood for it.

Lost Demiurge
2010-11-12, 10:34 AM
I did not. I was asked a question, and I answered it. If you look to the beginning of the thread, you might see I specifically asked if that gets better later, and that I love similar series.

I only regret you couldn't tell me that it does get better later, and that the characters become more sympathetic and less cliche.

All right. I'll answer your questions. By your definition of better, it does not get better. You would only hate it the more you watched it. To my perspective it continues to be awesome, and amps it up to 11 in several places.

The two main characters do get development, as do a few supporting characters here and there, but due to your expectations it wouldn't do much good. By the time things start blooming, you'd have already thrown the tv remote through the screen because the Spetsnatz insignia shown for ten seconds as a throwaway shot was wrong or something like that.

And seriously. Stuff like...

The terminator-esque ex-Farq maid who fights with a kevlar shotgun umbrella and a case full of heavy weaponry

And the...

Chinese knife-fighter who uses a kukri on a rope to take down pursuing jeeps

Oh, and the...

Psychotic child who uses a rifle that gives grown men recoil trouble

Not to mention the Assault upon Black Lagoon headquarters by a number of freakish gimmick assassins, one of which uses a chainsaw so heavy and reinforced that she can use it as a shield against bullets

And last but not least, the Yakuza samurai-wanna-be who's so good that he can cut a bullet in two mid-flight. About once per fight, mind you, it takes some serious effort.

Yeah. All that. To me? Awesome. It's well within the action movie genre that Black Lagoon falls within. To you? Not so much. You want the series to be something it isn't. Fine. We GET it.

Question answered.

Eldan
2010-11-12, 10:39 AM
The problem is probably that the first few Black Lagoon episodes seem as if they don't really know which direction they are going. There seem to be at least semi-realistic antagonists to start. There's Speznaz, drug dealers, smugglers, all of which could conceivably be encountered in the south sea. The action-sequences are already over the top, but they still feature mostly normal weaponry.

Then, over the course of half a season, it abandons all pretense of seriousness and just goes whacky.

But in the beginning, before it goes off the deep end, I can see how someone could assume it was a pseudo-realistic action anime that just made a lot of mistakes.

TSGames
2010-11-12, 01:06 PM
Noir: nice action series with a bit of intrigue, revolving around a duo of hit(wo)men who, between jobs, eventually find out about a secret conspiracy that has been pulling their strings. It's got good music (one of my favourite soundtracks all in all), the fight scenes go from very good to awesome, and as a bonus it's not set mainly in Japan. There aren't that many negatives about it - my biggest problem was that the baddies occasionally suffer from a bad case of A-Team Firing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ATeamFiring) (not as bad as Black Lagoon, but still), and my favourite character (Mireille) seemed to be the weakest one in the end. It's not quite as realistic as Gunsmith Cats (which I also found enjoyable - too bad it's so short), but I found that I didn't mind that at all.

:/
I disliked Noir. Initially, I got into it because it presented an unusual realism in most of its fight scenes and throughout some of the plot. However, it then began to blatantly violate the realism that it had established, destroying all of my suspension of disbelief. Not to mention the major 'plot twist' toward the end(which I saw coming at least eight episodes prior, but spent that entire time hoping I was wrong, because no plot twist could possibly be that stupid, predictable, or unrealistic). Consequently, it is the only anime where I have watched all except for the last two or three episodes, purely because of how incredibly disgusted I had become with its continuous violations of the 'realism' it had tried to establish.

It does have decent music though. Maybe listen to the soundtrack, but don't waste your time watching it.

Jumilk
2010-11-12, 06:26 PM
Watch Durarara, it's cool, there is a biker without head, and I mean, how cool is that?
Katanagatari is also very good.

Fri
2010-11-12, 10:48 PM
:/
I disliked Noir. Initially, I got into it because it presented an unusual realism in most of its fight scenes and throughout some of the plot. However, it then began to blatantly violate the realism that it had established, destroying all of my suspension of disbelief. Not to mention the major 'plot twist' toward the end(which I saw coming at least eight episodes prior, but spent that entire time hoping I was wrong, because no plot twist could possibly be that stupid, predictable, or unrealistic). Consequently, it is the only anime where I have watched all except for the last two or three episodes, purely because of how incredibly disgusted I had become with its continuous violations of the 'realism' it had tried to establish.

It does have decent music though. Maybe listen to the soundtrack, but don't waste your time watching it.

Watching the girl with guns trilogy is just excuse to listen to kajiura yuki soundtrack anyway. Kaijura yuki might be one of my favourite anime/game composer of all time.

(the girl with gun trilogy are Noir, Madlax, and El Cazador de la Bruja)

Pendragonx
2010-11-12, 11:35 PM
so I took Terraoblivion's recommendation and just finished watching all of Azumanga Daioh... Loved it.. Hilarious stuff.. I actually LOLed quite a bit. A very cute entertaining series.

Also, I took White_North and Carpe_Guitarrem's suggestion and got a copy of Gankutsuou .. I've watched the first two episodes.. and I must say.. some really great animation and very 'different' style to it.. However, I'm getting kind of worried... I'm hoping the main character doesn't pull the sort of Fate/Stay Night-style shennaigans that totally put me off enjoying the series.. I'm afraid it's going that direction, but I'll give it a bit more as it seems promising..

also I watched the first episode of One Piece the other day... wasn't very impressed to be honest.. does the animation get better at all?

Edit: I might as well recommend an anime while I'm at it.. If you enjoy character-centric fantasy dramas and a sort of Chinese Han-era mythology The Twelve Kingdoms is the anime for you. Seriously. One of my favorite series evar. It's up there with Record Of The Lodoss Wars (not the OVA) and Vision of Escaflowne

puppyavenger
2010-11-13, 12:26 AM
Vision of Escaflowne

I actually remember watching that as a kid with my sister, it's the one with the medieval mechs and all the tarot symbolism?

Pendragonx
2010-11-13, 12:48 AM
I actually remember watching that as a kid with my sister, it's the one with the medieval mechs and all the tarot symbolism?

This what you mean? (http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,344,duumlr,vision_of_escaf.html) .. then, yes.. yes it is :)

Irbis
2010-11-13, 04:59 AM
I'm hoping the main character doesn't pull the sort of Fate/Stay Night-style shennaigans that totally put me off enjoying the series...

Out of curiosity, what was wrong with it? :smallconfused:

also I watched the first episode of One Piece the other day... wasn't very impressed to be honest.. does the animation get better at all?

No.

It's up there with Record Of The Lodoss Wars (not the OVA) and Vision of Escaflowne

You mean the OVA was worse? Why?

Pendragonx
2010-11-14, 12:28 AM
Out of curiosity, what was wrong with it? :smallconfused:

No.

You mean the OVA was worse? Why?

Eh, it's been a while since I watched Fate/Stay Night but I remember thinking the main character did all sorts of impulsive stupid things constantly which rather got under my skin after a while.. yet I still managed to watch the whole series hoping it would get better (it had AWESOME animation, I must say, which helped).

re: Record Of The Lodoss Wars .. I didn't enjoy the OVA anywhere near as much as the tv series .. I loved the character development in the tv series and they explored way more in-depth storylines (and it helped that Parn was actually a decent character in the tv series imho)

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-11-14, 12:35 AM
Eh, it's been a while since I watched Fate/Stay Night but I remember thinking the main character did all sorts of impulsive stupid things constantly which rather got under my skin after a while.. yet I still managed to watch the whole series hoping it would get better (it had AWESOME animation, I must say, which helped).

Albert is pretty unintelligent-looking at times, though part of this is helped along by our outside knowledge of the Count's machinations. However, there's enough of an ensemble cast that there's a great many intelligent characters out there. (Most of whom are quick to point out Albert's naivete) His best friend Franz acts as a great foil to him, in this regard, and...well...

...yeah. Spoiler tags.

Re: Noir, what got me there was that it was an intelligent and thoughtful exploration of human nature and sin, above anything else, about what it means to do evil. It's pretty much a realisticish action anime, so some rules of realism are violated, due to Rule of Cool. For me, it was also about watching characters developed and grown. Very intensive show.

Murillio
2010-11-14, 02:35 AM

Yeah it does actually, but much later on. If you are okay with being spoiled a bit, look up Luffy vs Crocodile and Luffy vs Magellan as a comparison. The former being the second big fight and the latter being a recent fight. I'm a stickler for good animation, that's usually what I look for when getting into an anime, but honestly the animation for One Piece is, I'm afraid to say, average and maybe even mediocre. Though its gotten better.

One Piece has a slow start up and if you decide to soldier on, if you aren't feeling One Piece by the end of the Alabasta Arc then it probably isn't for you. It picks up speed during the Arlong Arc. If you do go on, just keep an open mind.

What really sold me about One Piece are the characters and the setting. The characters are ridiculous and I love that about them -- the protagonists and antagonists. The settings are absolutely amazing and really captures your imagination. Also the story also got me caring about characters even the minor ones and even gets me to laugh out loud. (80% of the time I literally say "That's so funny." instead of laughing.)

Honestly whats not to like about a half android who runs on cola?

Irbis
2010-11-14, 05:09 AM

Yup, F/SN was gorgeous. You should check out the movie :smallwink:

And yes, main hero was irritating at times, but he was not the reason I watched this show. The other characters were awesome :P

re: Record Of The Lodoss Wars .. I didn't enjoy the OVA anywhere near as much as the tv series .. I loved the character development in the tv series and they explored way more in-depth storylines (and it helped that Parn was actually a decent character in the tv series imho)

Hmmm, I'll try to check/watch, but AFAIK, the OVA had far better animation and epic feel. It was too short for the story, true.

puppyavenger
2010-11-14, 06:15 PM
Okay, so I just finished Last Exile, and thanks for all the recommendations as it was mostly awesome. But dear god the ending
So, Exile was a terraforming device from the "might as well be magic" school of hyper-tech, right?

Anyway, why does Dio suddenly appear in the sky completely recovered with a van-ship, and then randomly commit suicide? It just seems pointless, and infuriating, since Dio was one of my favorite characters.

And how did Alister and Tatiana get aboard exile anyway? weren't they at separate pit-stops from the earlier legs of the journey? how'd they catch up so quickly? and get together?

Finally, who are those children at the? were they people from earlier I forgot about or something?

I don't know, the entire last episode just seemed off to me, can't really put my finger on it beyond all those petty things.

The_Shaman
2010-11-15, 11:55 AM
I prefered the first Lodoss series - the OVA, I believe. The TV series seemed to become worse with time, although that might have been due to me prefering the original protagonists.

cdstephens
2010-11-15, 12:25 PM
Code Geass is brilliant.

Golbez
2010-11-15, 05:43 PM
Thank for the Wakfu recommendation, I havn't enjoyed an animated series so much in quite a while. I'd say its at about the level of Avatar: the last airbender.
As for English translation, there seem to be fansubs only so far.

I also watched Mononoke, which was also very good. This series is not for everyone however, as the surrealistic style will put off some people.

White_North
2010-11-15, 07:02 PM
Okay, so I just finished Last Exile, and thanks for all the recommendations as it was mostly awesome. But dear god the ending
So, Exile was a terraforming device from the "might as well be magic" school of hyper-tech, right?

Anyway, why does Dio suddenly appear in the sky completely recovered with a van-ship, and then randomly commit suicide? It just seems pointless, and infuriating, since Dio was one of my favorite characters.

And how did Alister and Tatiana get aboard exile anyway? weren't they at separate pit-stops from the earlier legs of the journey? how'd they catch up so quickly? and get together?

Finally, who are those children at the? were they people from earlier I forgot about or something?

I don't know, the entire last episode just seemed off to me, can't really put my finger on it beyond all those petty things.

I know. That ending almost made me dislike that series. Almost. I think the series was supposed to be a few episodes longer, but they ran out of budget or time and had to rush it.

Thank God for Alex Rowe and that awesome death scene, though. Pretty much salvaged that ending for me.

puppyavenger
2010-11-15, 07:47 PM
yeah, that was one of my favorite parts of the ending that and Mat Thane saying something about chivalry, then cutting to something like have the fleet getting burninated by the guild

also, quick question. does anyone know if the Eden of the East movies have been dubbed yet? I just finished the series, and I really want more.

mallorean_thug
2010-11-15, 08:53 PM
For the Eden of the East movies, the answer would be no for dubbed, though a fansub has been out since about 2 weeks after the Japanese blue ray release of the second movie.

puppyavenger
2010-11-15, 09:01 PM
For the Eden of the East movies, the answer would be no for dubbed, though a fansub has been out since about 2 weeks after the Japanese blue ray release of the second movie.

Ah well, that's a shame. Are there any plans by whoever dubbed the show to do them at some point?

anyway, on to GitS!

mallorean_thug
2010-11-15, 09:08 PM
Animenewsnetwork tells me that the movies have also been licensed by Funimation. So at some point yes.

Eldan
2010-11-16, 05:01 AM
Ah well, that's a shame. Are there any plans by whoever dubbed the show to do them at some point?

anyway, on to GitS!

Good idea.
On Ghost in the Shell: I'd start with the first movie (titled just Ghost in the Shell), then watch the series, then the second movie. It's important to note that the movies and the series' are in different continuities.

FenrirX
2010-11-17, 07:10 PM
I don't really like dubbing, I prefer watching In Japanese. Except maybe Burst Angel (one of my recommended anime, but don't go into it looking for a good drama) because the voice actors on that where both good and hilarious. (Osakan accents are Texan??) I was also confused on Last Exile. It was one of those "Wait, what just happened?" moments, and I actually had to rewind and watch it again.:smallconfused:

Yay, first post!!!:smalltongue:

cattoy
2010-11-17, 10:44 PM
I haven't seen Planetes suggested yet, which makes me sad.

It follows a crew of garbagemen. Who work in Low Earth Orbit. The tech is rock solid. The art style is not glamorous or pretty, it's as close as anime gets to realistic. If nothing else, hop over to youtube and look at the OP. It's a love letter to manned space exploration.

If you end up curious enough to check it out, look at this version. There are at least three versions of the OP, the later ones contain spoiler-ish images...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0LGnIq0sQ4&feature=related

Mecharious
2010-11-18, 01:21 AM
Okay, I haven't watched any anime in a long time, so I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions based on what I like and don't like.

What I'm looking for: An anime with an interesting concept, interesting characters, and a fluid plot (I dislike filler).

My favorite Anime:
Death Note
Neon Genesis Evangeleon
Yu-Gi-Oh: Shadow Games (the one where they play games other than card games!)

Anime I really dislike:
Naruto (I like the concept, but the characters are a pain, and the plot gets ridiculous at times)
One Piece (I dislike the artwork and characters)
Bleach (Characters)

Anime that seemed all right, but I couldn't get into:
Full Metal Alchemist
Code Geass

Yeah, I know I'm picky, so any suggestions are appreciated!

Brewdude
2010-11-18, 01:37 AM
Mecharius:

Perhaps Eureka 7?
Paranoia Agent (takes all 50 episodes to figure out what the heck's happening, then you need to watch them all again)
FLCL
And yes, Black Lagoon. Because if it ain't over the top, it's under the radar.

Amiel
2010-11-18, 01:37 AM
There is only word; Gintama.
It is utterly amazing. Words fail to express how awesome (and random) it is.

Brewdude
2010-11-18, 01:51 AM
Wow. So I just looked at the first ten minutes of the first episode of Gintama, and, um, I would have to agree. It's like a Bo Bo Bo Bobobo that has just enough more of a grip on reality that I can stand it. On the other hand, somehow they made catgirls fail to be sexy. I'm not sure I can get past that....

Jade_Tarem
2010-11-18, 02:24 AM
I'll put in my ~$0.02 worth.

Trigun - not perfect, but above-average and worth watching. Features a rather likeable and interesting Mary Sue (not always a bad thing, people!) protagonist, Vash the Stampede, and the fact that the ludicrously over-the-top bounty on his head means that he literally cannot stay out of trouble no matter how much he'd prefer to. Turns serious about halfway through.

Actually, it's worth watching just to see all the ways Vash comes out on top in violent confrontations without actually killing anyone.

Why you might not like it: Characters are kind of flat, although you find out that Vash and Wolfwood have some hidden dimensions. Final big bad seems a lot less threatening than his second-in-command. The first third of the episodes could reasonably be called filler - entertaining but ultimately unnecessary.

Slayers - episodes slide from very silly to serious twice per season (start out silly, build up to a big fight halfway through the season, resolve said fight, get silly again, build up to the final boss). Follows the adventures of a very powerful sorceress with a lot of personality flaws and her friends. Worth watching if you like DnD and keep DnD firmly in mind as you watch - you'll see all of the Player Character stereotypes among the main characters. And possibly some of your own gaming group's shenanigens (I know I did).

Also, Slayers is a fairly old anime, so you'll see the rough drafts of some anime character archtypes that are common today.

Why you might not like it: I'm not kidding when I say it's silly. Anachronisms abound, characters are very over the top, and some episodes (especially the very first one and the mid-arc filler) are beyond stupid. Also, Amelia's first VA has a voice that will drive you up the wall. She doesn't last long, but still...

Cowboy Bebop - really good anime. Good music, engaging characters, relatively 'correct' science fiction (for an anime), including the successful evasion of a lot of 'space doesn't work like that!' Follows a bunch of bounty hunters with tons of personal baggage and their attempts at making ends meet and coping with their problems.

English Dub is very high quality.

Why you might not like it: If the above doesn't appeal to you, then you're going to get very bored.

Bleach - people have covered this already. Anime shifts genre a couple of times, starting out as Urban Fantasy and then going into various flavors of Shonen. The setting and characters are colorful, and the fights are generally well done. It has a lot of characters with interesting abilities. The big bad's reveal and plans, while common knowledge now, was actually pretty impressive back in the Soul Society arc.

Why you might not like it: The first two filler arcs are terrible, and the third is mediocre. The story itself degrades after a while, and seems to be incapable of killing off any good guys even when it makes sense for them to die. The huge number of characters means that you might find an interesting part of the show put on hold while the narrative follows characters that you don't care about for two or three episodes. But the thing you'll hate the most is that just when you're ready to give up on it, something completely awesome will happen and you'll stick with it.

Outlaw Star - Interesting and very short anime - follows your standard five man band crew of misfits and their awesome ship as they search for the MacGuffin. Everything is kept colorful and the show is reasonably well done, ending right before it gets stale.

Why you might not like it: Short length of show and focus on action means that characters don't see a lot of development. The big bad seems a bit lackluster, just as in Trigun, and the final battle was pants-on-head stupid.

Black Lagoon - not going to lie, I liked it. While the criticisms of the first episode are accurate, if you stop there you're going to miss the best part of the show - the rest of it. Don't go into it expecting it to see realism of any sort. I don't agree that Revy is a Mary Sue - she has lots of flaws, which do, in fact, get her into trouble.

Why you might not like it: As before, the show is dominated by character angst and the rule of cool. If that isn't for you, then don't watch. Also note that the show features a lot of swearing and violence. I mean a lot.

Azumanga Daioh - has also been summarized in this thread already. Since it follows a daily comic, the first episodes experience jarring transitions that it took me a while to get used to, but after the first couple of episodes I was drawn in. Humorous and pretty well done. Also features a good English Dub.

Why you might not like it: Has no overarching story and sometimes features bizzare timing, a holdover from the print comic. Also, all of Osaka's narrative is surreal. Some people enjoy that, but I actually didn't - Osaka is funniest when the show doesn't even try to explain what's going on in her mind.

Naruto - hated it. Sorry, but it seemed juvenile and stupid to me with few redeeming qualities. But I didn't watch very much of it, so maybe something later on redeems it.

Sailor Moon - The ur-Magical Girl show. You should watch some of it just to see where all of those Magical Girl tropes came from (Sailor Moon wasn't the first, but it is probably the most famous). It isn't worth watching for the most part though - stories are dragged out and predictable, the characters are one dimensional, and the English Dub makes a mockery of the original, which wasn't that great to begin with.

TSGames
2010-11-18, 02:33 AM
I'll put in my ~$0.02 worth.

Trigun - not perfect, but above-average and worth watching. Features a rather likeable and interesting Mary Sue (not always a bad thing, people!) protagonist, Vash the Stampede, and the fact that the ludicrously over-the-top bounty on his head means that he literally cannot stay out of trouble no matter how much he'd prefer to. Turns serious about halfway through.

Actually, it's worth watching just to see all the ways Vash comes out on top in violent confrontations without actually killing anyone.

Why you might not like it: Characters are kind of flat, although you find out that Vash and Wolfwood have some hidden dimensions. Final big bad seems a lot less threatening than his second-in-command. The first third of the episodes could reasonably be called filler - entertaining but ultimately unnecessary.

^I agree, you hit the nail on the head. Trigun is a solid anime with a variety of interesting, but often shallow characters, a fairly unique setting, some really good, awesome, funny, and badass fight scenes(sometimes all at once), and enough comic relief to keep the setting and the plot from being depressing. If you have the time, it's definitely worth watching.

Psyren
2010-11-18, 10:56 AM
How is Vash a Mary Sue? A Mary Sue is a character for whom even their failures paint them in a positive light. Vash is good at what he does, but still has very human flaws; and when he does fail he fails hard.

TSGames
2010-11-18, 04:10 PM
How is Vash a Mary Sue? A Mary Sue is a character for whom even their failures paint them in a positive light. Vash is good at what he does, but still has very human flaws; and when he does fail he fails hard.
That's a fair point. I wouldn't call him a 'Mary Sue' either....he's an awesome gunman, and pretty clever guy, but certainly not perfect. (Really, the term 'Mary Sue' just gets thrown around too much these days....)

cattoy
2010-11-18, 06:08 PM
If you plan on watching them both, I strongly recommend watching Trigun before Cowboy Bebop.

I tried watching them in the other order, and gave up on Trigun and watched Cowboy Bebop again.

Subs, in both cases, in case that matters.

If you only have time to watch one, Cowboy Bebop. Superior product. Totally.

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-11-18, 06:36 PM
Trigun is worth watching if only for Wolfwood's weapon, which in my opinion is the be-all and end-all of impossibly badass firearms.

FenrirX
2010-11-18, 07:29 PM
Trigun is worth watching if only for Wolfwood's weapon, which in my opinion is the be-all and end-all of impossibly badass firearms.

It would totally be awesome if the Swiss Gaurd started carrying those.

There is only word; Gintama.
It is utterly amazing. Words fail to express how awesome (and random) it is.

Holy crap, this is my new favorite anime.
And has anyone ever seen Earth SOS? The characters are annoying but the plot is awesome (but ridiculous)

Jade_Tarem
2010-11-18, 07:45 PM

I could go into a blow-by-blow breakdown, but instead I'm just going to refer you to the Mary Sue litmus test and Vash's ludicrously high score there.

Spoilers within.
What flaws does he have that aren't part of his facade?
Except for the two cities he blew up (neither of which was his fault) and Legato's God-moding forcing Vash to kill him, when does he fail?

He's a badass, messianic, selfless figure with few flaws of importance. I'm aware that Mary-Sue is generally an overused term, but it fits Vash to a T. Also remember that I said that it doesn't ruin the anime.

For reference: The TV Tropes Trigun entry (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Trigun). Check under "The Ace."

Also, it's true that Cowboy Bebop is a superior anime to Trigun - it's superior to most things, in fact. So yeah, watch Trigun first.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-11-19, 10:28 AM
It would totally be awesome if the Swiss Gaurd started carrying those.

I...want to Photoshop this.

P.S. SPOILERS above! Jade_Tarem, stick that in spoiler tags.

Interestingly, I saw Trigun after Bebop, but I still love both of them. In different ways, though. I love Trigun for the central question it explores, and I love Bebop for its character, pacing, and style, along with the emotional and psychological aspects. And the music. And how it explores its central themes.

Eldan
2010-11-19, 02:29 PM
I have a colleague who's in the Swiss guard. If i see him, I'll recommend it :smallwink:

Though between being a Grenadier (basically our elite unit), in the Swiss Guard and living in Italy, I rarely ever see him anyway.

Kuma Da
2010-11-19, 08:03 PM
Ah, yes. The perennial anime recommendation thread that crops up in spite of the general anime discussion thread. Here we go:

Last exile: incredibly elegant steampunk epic that matures as the characters grow up, moving from naive to complex.

Ghost Hound: slower paced psychological/supernatural small town drama about children who become aware of the constant stream of plankton-y ghosts that drift through our world

Mushishi: series of one-shots about humanity and gods

Bakkano!: it's Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels but with alchemy

Noein: a quantum romance about how the world goes wrong when you grow up. surprisingly action-packed for the premise

Black lagoon: an average gun-drama that abruptly jumps the shark and becomes intensely philosophical. also has a cast consisting entirely of anti-heroes

hellsing: the best english dub out there. for anything. ever. it is magic for your ears. also there are vampires and stuff, but, really, you're just there to listen to alucard talk

Dennou coil: like a strange baby of ghost hound and serial experiments lain, but still moving.

Bokurano: straight depressing. easily the most horrifying mech drama ever

Samurai Champloo: culture in a blender. might not have quite the same charm as cowboy beebop, but still engaging

Paranoia Agent: a series of philosophical vignettes that crash together for one hell of a finale. modern day with supernatural elements, but not particularly action-y

Mercenary Pen
2010-11-19, 08:41 PM
For those who like mecha/action anime, I'd have to recommend Fafner and, though it caters to a more mature audience in places Blue Gender- both fit into a similar scenario to Evangelion, and both do the job infinitely better (coincidentally, I would also recommend Gunbuster and the follow-up Diebuster as better than Evangelion IMO- though of course individual appreciation of all this may vary.)

Beyond that, chalk up additional recommendations of Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Seven, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, which makes about seventy billion recommendations for each by now right?

Golbez
2010-11-20, 12:33 PM
One more from me, I'll use Jade_Tarem's format:

Irresponsible Captain Tylor - Science fiction series about captain Tylor and his crew. When just watching the first episode it may seem that this series is only mediocre. But its true worth shines trough soon enough. Tylor is, in my opinion, one of the best anime characters ever. This anime has at least 3 scenes that are truly epic. (I will not spoil them)

Why you might not like it: This series is from 1993, so people may not like the old drawing style. Also the other characters are not nearly as interesting as Tylor.

By the way, http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ has some info about all the series mentioned so far. Also viewer rating and sometimes reviews.

tyckspoon
2010-11-20, 01:30 PM
One more from me, I'll use Jade_Tarem's format:

Irresponsible Captain Tylor - Science fiction series about captain Tylor and his crew. When just watching the first episode it may seem that this series is only mediocre. But its true worth shines trough soon enough. Tylor is, in my opinion, one of the best anime characters ever. This anime has at least 3 scenes that are truly epic. (I will not spoil them)

Why you might not like it: This series is from 1993, so people may not like the old drawing style. Also the other characters are not nearly as interesting as Tylor.

It's also rather difficult to get ahold of these days, unlike most of the recommendations on this thread which are still in commercial distribution.

boj0
2010-11-20, 01:41 PM
Most of the ones I would normally recommend have been already, so I'll throw Wolf's Rain, Cyborg 009, and Kikaider out there.

Wolf's Rain is by the studio that did Bebop so it's worth at least checking out; Cyborg and Kikaider have both been remade at least once, and I've only seen the most recent for each.

TSGames
2010-11-20, 02:55 PM
Most of the ones I would normally recommend have been already, so I'll throw Wolf's Rain, Cyborg 009, and Kikaider out there.

Wolf's Rain is by the studio that did Bebop so it's worth at least checking out; Cyborg and Kikaider have both been remade at least once, and I've only seen the most recent for each.

Cyborg 009 was remade?! I haven't seen that anime in forever; I'm going to have to check it out. It was probably one of the first anime I ever watched on cable, and I only remember it being awesome.

turkishproverb
2010-11-20, 07:09 PM
It's also rather difficult to get ahold of these days, unlike most of the recommendations on this thread which are still in commercial distribution.

Rightstuf just rereleased both Tyler series.

TSGames
2010-11-24, 02:40 PM
So....

Been watching Cyborg 009.

The animation is a little strange, but they have some decent plot and voice acting(I don't usually watch dubbed anime, but they did pretty good with it in this one). The most interesting thing about the series, is that(with a few large exceptions) the plot tends to not be very predictable and it turns out well(instead of feeling like an ass-pull).
An example(does contain spoilers):

After the defeat of Black Ghost, there are a few episode showing what the characters lives are like without combat. Some have to do with cooking, or romance, etc...

Amidst casual mentions in the news of a couple of people bursting into flames and dying, the main character, Cyborg 009, befriends a dog. They are happily running along the beach, having a good time, he talks to the dog, the dog is very intelligent, and everyone treats it with respect. There is even a comment made about the 'unspoken bond between a man and his dog.' It is a rare, serene moment in the life of the cyborg that has spent the last several months in near constant combat. With scenes this peaceful, something has to happen. What does happen next? Is the dog kidnapped or killed by an emerging or reemerging villain? Well....not exactly...

It's revealed that Cyborg 009 became the dog's master after his previous master(a strangely scientist-looking hobo) and the dog's parents had been run over by a car(a car which ran over them and then backed over them again). Later, when out for a walk, the dog clearly senses something and runs over toward a ditch a begins growling. Cyborg 009 checks it out, only to find an abandoned, wrecked car. He calls the police, and it is later revealed on the news that the car contained the finger prints of the two men that had mysteriously burned to death. That night, the dog leaves the house... Cyborg 009 follows him all the way to an abandoned warehouse. Inside are two men talking about the fate of their two accomplices who have just burned to death. The dog jumps out, begins glowing with psychic energy and then makes one man burst into flames. Yes, you read that right. The cute, lovable dog is actually a genetically altered monstrosity hell bent on seeking vengeance for the death of its parents. Unfortunately for it, the last man manages to just barely get away. Cyborg 009 now know the truth, but the dog is in hiding, and does not come home.

At this point, it's revealed on the news that the last man has turned himself into the police, seeking protection from a demonic dog that has set the other conspirators on fire. The police are going to transfer him to another location where he will be receiving a lot of therapy. Cyborg 009 leaves to pursue the police that are transporting him, knowing that his dog will show up there to kill the prisoner. Sure enough, the dog jumps onto the highway, causing the police to spin out of control into a sidewall. Once more, the dog begins glowing with psychic energy. Cyborg 009 leaps out to try to dissuade the dog, to convince it not to seek vengeance, because killing that criminal won't bring its parents or former master back. The dog responds to 009 by setting him on fire. In the ensuing chaos, 009 puts out his fire and the prisoner tries to make a break for it, only to be completely incinerated. 009 now warns his dog to stop, as he draws his gun, the cops also draw guns and point at the dog, who again responds by setting the cops on fire, though only their hands this time. Cyborg 009 points his gun at the dog, who stops glowing with psychic energy, and lowers his head into the path of the laser beam.

It ends with them burying the dog, and concluding that the strangely scientist-looking hobo, had done very strange experiments on the dog's parents(each of which had surgical scars on their forehead), and that somehow, some of it was passed down to the dog. The powers awakened in the dog when its hatred grew, and out of the great love that it had for its parents and former master, grew a twisted, insurmountable hatred. The episode concludes with the cyborgs leaving the grave, and 009 vowing never to forget.

tyckspoon
2010-11-26, 08:32 PM
Rightstuf just rereleased both Tyler series.

ANIMEGET. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

true_shinken
2010-11-26, 08:46 PM
I just watched the 6 first episodes of Under the Bridge. It's hilarious!
Also very touching, if you see through the comedy. I recommend.