PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Homebrew to DnD-Wiki Transfer Service

Havvy
2010-11-05, 06:24 PM
Homebrew -> DnD-Wiki Transfer Service

There is a great deal of homebrew here at GitP forums, and a lot of it is good. But when people leave, their data can become lost in the endless wave of new stuff. Forums make a good place to develop homebrew material and PEACH it, but as far as storage, I believe it to be suboptimal in comparison to a wiki. Now, you guys mostly deal with BBcode. I deal mostly with Wiki markup. I understand BBcode (it isn't very arcane), and would like to get this homebrew onto a wiki.

Your material will be judged by a fresh group of people, many of whom have strong opinions and strong mathematical skills to back these opinions on balance. As such, if you check your work, you might find the talk page has a note saying something is unbalanced. If anything is truly unbalanced (unlimited bonuses to attack bonus for every attack for example), I'll say so via PM. So having it transferred will help make it more playable.

I use DnD-Wiki.org (http://dnd-wiki.org/), and I browse this forum. This is a free opportunity to have your material in multiple locations.

Information Needed

If you want your material transferred, I need the following information:

DnD-Wiki account or URL for linking to? Used for attribution.
List of material to be transferred
Permission to have it licensed under creative commons (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/).

Attribution

If you have a DnD-Wiki account, or are going to create one, please tell me what the nickname is for it. Or, if you would rather have the author block on each page of your work link elsewhere on the web, the URL(s) that you would like them to link to should be given.

Material

While this thread is here at GitP forums, the material can come from anywhere that is easily accessible and that I may copy-paste the text from. A list of this material (homebrew signatures seem to be the default here) to be transferred including links to them are needed.

Licensing

Any transferred material will gain the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/). Don't ask for a transfer if you don't want it under that license.

Will Transfer

Feats
Variant Rules
Type/Subtype
Monster
Spell/Power/Invocation
Invocation (because it is worth saying again)
Classes*
ToB Disciplines
Races
ACF/Substitution Levels
Equipment
If not on list below, ask.

Will Not Transfer

Sourcebooks
Most classes*
Reflavors (there is no section for these on the wiki)
Images

*These take a lot of work to copy over, so I shall transfer only if I am amazed by this class.

Order of Transfer

Transfers will be done on a first come first serve basis. I am currently on Debihuman's material.

Epsilon Rose
2010-11-05, 08:43 PM
This is a nice idea and a generous offer that I might have to take you up on when I get around to finishing my stuff.

Thank you.

Zeta Kai
2010-11-05, 09:58 PM
I'm intrigued, & even tempted, but also a bit skeptical. What do you gain by providing this free service?

Havvy
2010-11-05, 10:06 PM
1) More traffic to DnD-Wiki, so that it becomes more renown. More renown means more likely to be found. (I do not materially profit from the popularity of DnD-Wiki)

1b) To foster a link between GitP forums and DnD-Wiki.

2) What do you gain by posting your homebrew or making homebrew for others for free?

3) Gives me something to do, and gives me more material to look over.

4) Adds to my online presence.

Morph Bark
2010-11-06, 04:48 AM
Sounds like an interesting initiative. Currently creating created an account under the username Morpholomew Bark. Most of my classes, PrCs, Feats and Races I'd be willing to have put up there. See here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9183867&postcount=75).

A question though, since you did not mention them: what about martial disciplines, first introduced in Tome of Battle?

Chrono22
2010-11-06, 07:54 AM
How about magic items?

Havvy
2010-11-06, 11:46 AM
Equipment in general, yes. ToB disciplines...I am not sure yet, so until I decide, it remains a no. (On big stuff, I'm picky)

Sounds like an interesting initiative. Currently creating created an account under the username Morpholomew Bark. Most of my classes, PrCs, Feats and Races I'd be willing to have put up there. See here.

A question though, since you did not mention them: what about martial disciplines, first introduced in Tome of Battle?

Starting on your feats, then races, then monsters. None of those classes particularly interest me though. The discipline looks interesting though (but you technically haven't given permission for it to be moved over).

Also, it is a good thing to get something up on your user page; even if it is just a link back to these forums.

Edit: The anti-feats, you want to give them a type such as [Anti] with the rule that if you permanently stop qualifying for an [Anti] feat, you may choose another?

Just a Guard is below monk level, and cannot be transferred.
Just Awesome is below monk level, and cannot be transferred. (Needing to have a penalty in 3 ability scores does not offset any bonus)
Chicken is not something that needs stats.
Anti feats have been transferred.
Iatjitsu feats have been transferred.
Unspirited race has been transferred.
Video game races have been transferred.
Bearly Legal Grizzly Swarm has been transferred. You should lower it's CR though. :/ A warlock at 6th level could beat one easily. (Flight + infinite ranged touch attack)
Pyreflies have been transferred.

Morph Bark
2010-11-06, 12:15 PM
(but you technically haven't given permission for it to be moved over).

Hence why I thought I'd ask first. I'd love to see Pungeon Pendragon up there. :smallsmile:

Also, it is a good thing to get something up on your user page; even if it is just a link back to these forums.

I will get onto that, though it'll take a bit of getting used to everything. I have to admit that I have never registered at any other wiki (Wikipedia included) before. DnD-Wiki has the honour of being my first!

Edit: The anti-feats, you want to give them a type such as [Anti] with the rule that if you permanently stop qualifying for an [Anti] feat, you may choose another?

Yes. Please do that.

Also, may I offer you a large chunk of Thankyou? It's pretty delicious.

Havvy
2010-11-06, 12:25 PM
Actually, looking at them some more, traits might be a better location;

10:50PST: Iatjitsu feats are fully copied; waiting for whether you want the anti-feats to be traits or not before moving the rest of them over.

Morph Bark
2010-11-06, 12:51 PM
10:50PST: Iatjitsu feats are fully copied; waiting for whether you want the anti-feats to be traits or not before moving the rest of them over.

I'd prefer the anti-feats to be feats. They don't really work as well as traits, IMO.

Chrono22
2010-11-06, 12:56 PM
Feel free to submit this stuff, if you want. I'd say my stuff is of pretty good quality.

Amaurea Quiver
Price: 2,250 gp
Body Slot: --
Caster Level: 9th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 20) conjuration
Activation: Standard (command)
Weight: 1 lb.

A sun inscribed with gold adorns the surface of this spacious darkwood quiver.

An amaurea quiver can be called upon to create a number of arrows of varying amounts and substance. An amaurea quiver has 5 charges, which are renewed each day at dawn. By speaking a command word and expending charges, nonmagical arrows will appear inside the quiver.
1 charge, "Hallanga": 20 darkwood arrows.
2 charges, "Tyelpear": 20 darkwood silver arrows.
3 charges, "Voronwa": 20 darkwood adamantine arrows.
Created arrows remain in the quiver until the following dawn, after which point they disappear. Created arrows that are removed from the quiver vanish after one minute. An amaurea quiver can store a maximum of 60 arrows.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, major creation, creator must be an elf.
Cost to Create: 1125 gp, 90 XP, 1 day.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/4718/alethiometer.png
Alethiometer
Price: 42,000 gp
Caster Level: 7th
Aura: Strong; (DC 23) divination
Activation: ––
Weight: -

The crystal face of this exquisite golden compass depicts numerous hieroglyphs of indeterminate origin.

An alethiometer is an invaluable tool for any would-be explorer. It assists its holder by directing him to a subject of his interest. To employ an alethiometer, the holder must concentrate on an object, person, or activity for one minute. The alethiometer will thereafter point to the subject that most closely matches the holder’s visualization or to the highest concentration of subjects within 680 feet. The more specific the subject is, the more accurate the direction of an alethiometer will be; if the subject is too general, the device won’t provide a meaningful reading. There are rumors of a more powerful form of this device, which has no maximum range or limitations on the types of subject.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, locate creature, locate object.
Cost to Create: 21,000 gp, 1680 XP, 42 days.

Freshmint Gum
Price: 300 gp
Caster Level: 1st
Aura: Faint; no school
Activation: Standard

This roll of sweet-smelling candy is wrapped in colorful reflective paper.

This special variety of magical confectionery is a boon to diplomats, public officials, and performers alike. Dirt, grime, slime, and any other kinds of filth are immediately cast off of the body and cloths of a person when she consumes a piece. As a secondary benefit, she also gains a +1 morale bonus on diplomacy checks as she is surrounded by a pleasant minty aroma (this bonus persists for one hour). An unopened roll of freshmint gum contains twelve pieces.
Prerequisites: Brew Potion, prestidigitation
Cost to Create: 150 gp, 12 XP, 1 day.

Gloves of Agile Climbing
Price: 600 gp
Body Slot: Hands
Caster Level: 3rd
Aura: Faint; (DC 16) transmutation
Activation: ––

These fingerless leather gloves are rough, but flexible.

While wearing gloves of agile climbing, you can add your Dexterity modifier (instead of your Strength modifier) on Climb checks.
If you have at least 5 ranks in Tumble, you can grab onto an adjacent surface at any point during a fall as an immediate action (you may still suffer fall damage). You retain your Dexterity bonus to armor class while climbing.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, cat's grace.
Cost to Create: 300 gp, 24 XP, 1 day.

Lucky Silver
Price: 2,800 gp
Aura: Faint; (DC 16) divination
Activation: Standard

The faces of this otherwise unremarkable silver coin sport two expressions. One face is joyfully exuberant, and the other is depressingly dour.

A lucky silver can grant its holder incites into how beneficial or harmful an action will be. This power is utilized by flipping the coin and concentrating on the action in question. There is only a 73% chance the coin will give a meaningful reply. If an action has neither a good nor a bad result, or if it will have both, the lucky silver will land on its edge. If the holder attempts to use a lucky silver multiple times on the same subject, all the results will be the same as the first. A lucky silver functions three times per day.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, augury
Cost to Create: 1400 gp, 112 XP, 2 days.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2438/spysglass.jpg
Spy's Glass
Price: 5,500 gp
Aura: Faint; (DC 16) divination
Activation: Standard (command)
Weight: 1 lb.

A golden eye is inscribed upon the cap of this finely crafted wooden-and-brass telescope.

The first spy's glass was created by a thieves' guild in a major city as a way of casing establishments and keeping track of their competition. These multipurpose instruments have become more common as their value among adventurers and warlords has grown.
A spy's glass functions as a mundane spyglass of superior make; it halves the penalties imposed on spot checks by distance. Additionally, when the cap has been placed over the lense and a command word is spoken, a spy's glass produces a magical sensor (as per prying eyes). This sensor automatically transmits anything it sees back to the viewer, and moves according to his direction. If the viewer ceases to look through the glass, the sensor will disappear. A sensor produced by a spy's glass can move a maximum of 1 mile away from the spy's glass before vanishing, and lasts for 3 hours.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, prying eyes
Cost to Create: 2584 gp, 180 XP, 5 days.

Zephyr Blade
Price: 17,840 gp
Body Slot: –
Caster Level: 10th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 19) evocation
Activation: ––, Immediate (command), Standard (command), and Swift (command)

This incredibly lightweight rapier seems to almost float in the palm of your hand. Gracefully curving lines cover the surface of the silver blade, giving it a feather-like motif. A light breeze constantly surrounds it.

Or

This object appears to be a perfectly ordinary sea-eagle's feather. A light breeze constantly surrounds it.

The zephyr blade is a weapon of legend, and the subject of more than a few arguments about its appearance. This +1 windcutter silver rapier has a number of wind-related powers and abilities, the most famous of which is its ability to turn the breeze itself into a weapon. The wielder can call upon the aid of the zephyr blade by expending a daily charge and an action. A zephyr blade has 4 charges, which are renewed each day at dawn.
Gust Step: By expending a charge as a swift action, the wielder gains a +10 enhancement bonus to speed for 1 round.
Ride the Wind: By expending a charge as an immediate action, the wielder's falling speed is slowed for 1 round (as per feather fall).
Sirrico Dance: By expending a charge as an immediate action, the wielder gains a +2 deflection bonus to AC against a single attack.
Backlash Squall: By expending a charge as a standard action, the wielder may launch a powerful blast of air (as per gust of wind). A successful fortitude save (DC 14) can allow a creature in the line of the blast to resist this effect.
A zephyr blade has an additional minor power. By holding it and speaking a command word as a standard action, the wielder may transform the weapon into an albatross feather or back.
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item, feather fall, gust of wind, shield of faith.
Cost to Create: 8864 gp, 700 XP, 17 days.

.................................................. .............

Windcutter
Price: +1 bonus
Property: Piercing or slashing melee weapon
Aura: Faint; (DC 16) evocation
Activation:--

This weapon is constantly surrounded by a flowing breeze, even indoors or underground.

A windcutter weapon creates a sharp, high-pressure wave of air when swung. This enables you to deliver your melee attacks at range, with an increment of 10 feet. When delivering a melee attack at range with a windcutter weapon, you apply your dexterity modifier instead of your strength modifier to the attack roll. Bonus damage from your strength modifier, the weapon's enhancement bonus and precision damage apply to the attack's damage, but any other magical properties of the weapon (such as bonus damage dice from the flaming weapon property) do not apply when melee attacks are delivered at range.
The wielder of a windcutter weapon still suffers all of the penalties and limitations associated with making ranged attacks (such as cover rules, penalties imposed by distance, and the effects of high wind), but these are not considered ranged attacks for the purposes of attacks of opportunity.
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, gust of wind.
Cost to Create: Varies

Havvy
2010-11-15, 02:32 AM
Chrono22: I transferred all of your stuff. It turns out, it is *really* easy to move equipment over. The hardest part was creating a preload for it, since a template was made but not a preload.

Anyways, some IRC comments on your work.

<Ghostwheel>: Windcutter seems incredibly underpriced, what with giving virtually the best ability of a good PrC
<Ghostwheel>: And taking away the biggest drawback of melee
<Ghostwheel>: I'd also call the bonus from the gum either a circumstance (or whatever masterwork tools give) or an alchemical one

Chrono22
2010-11-15, 06:40 AM
Sorry, but that comment regarding the windcutter property just seems to be the typical knee-jerk reaction that comes from any departure from the norm. I mean, I've had people try to tell me that my amaurea quiver was worth 30,000 gp, no joke. In theory windcutter seems powerful, but in practice there are many more affordable and more effective alternatives.
The returning weapon property basically does the same thing, except that you get to apply your strength score to damage AND all of your weapon's other magical properties still apply. The flip side being, you can't full attack with a returning thrown weapon unless you have a particular (cheaply priced) weapon crystal attached.
It doesn't really have any advantages a thrown weapon user wouldn't have, except that you no longer provoke.
I'm also wondering, what is this PrC he is referring to? Cause I've never heard of anything like the windcutter property in any published material.

On the gum: it's a type of potion in candy form, which duplicates an effect of the prestidigitation spell. If it wasn't obvious, it is a parody of the Mentos freshmint gum commercials of the 90s. It is not a circumstance bonus, nor is it a competence bonus, which is the type that tools impart, or an alchemical bonus. It's pure unadulterated morale. The person that consumes a piece feels and acts more daring and likeable, because that's how they perceive themselves to be.

Sorry if I'm coming off as harsh. I'm kind of short on sleep, so I'm also a bit short on patience.

Havvy
2010-11-15, 07:01 AM
The quiver is worth 2,250 gp, as written.

The windcutter property, as written, is not worth a +1. Ranged damage at will without provoking an AoO is worth a lot in DnD. I'd price it around +3 personally. Ability to get into range of a large creature and not provoke AoO is worth a lot. It isn't something I see characters getting until around 6 level minimum. Anyways, I don't think he was referring to any specific prestige class, especially since he say 'a good PrC' which means he is generalizing.

Being critical (or as you say, harsh) about your work is good.

The information on the gum, I placed on its talk page.

TK-Squared
2010-11-15, 07:23 AM
The prestige class was Bloodstorm Blade from Tome of Battle.

Morph Bark
2010-11-15, 08:13 AM
Bearly Legal Grizzly Swarm has been transferred. You should lower it's CR though. :/ A warlock at 6th level could beat one easily. (Flight + infinite ranged touch attack)

On that note, I was going to make another creature which would basically be a mob of Small-sized bears capable of casting spells and the like, which would reside inside the larger bears (thus making Swallow Whole a lot more dangerous) and which would effectively be part of the Bearly Legal Grizzly Swarm and come out when it'd be defeated. I just never got around to actually making the creature.

Hmm, considering it is in an April Fools category - didn't know it existed - perhaps I should look into that for my finished Commoner Flaw PrCs and the future ones.

Debihuman
2010-11-15, 08:22 AM
Feel free to enter any of my homebrew creations. Most of it is in my signature (click on "my creations"). I've been a huge proponent of the OGL since the beginning.

Debby

Havvy
2010-11-18, 02:06 AM
M-Bark: Pungeon Pendragon has been transferred, but it really breaks down around level 7...plus the one stance I mentioned in PM. I'd really like to have that thread reopened so I can give a detailed review over it, unless you wish for me to do so at the wiki.

Debihuman: Acknowledged. I saw you made an account at the wiki too. The Piñata Creature Template has been transferred. I believe Schrödinger's Cat to be a CR 1 though, not a CR 2. And now, Schrödinger's Cat has been transferred.

Surgo
2010-11-18, 09:44 AM
Just want to add, I'm the head honcho of said wiki and I'm more than happy to transfer any good homebrew that people want me to transfer.

I can also make automatically-updating lists of homebrew material. I've noticed that some people have lists in their signatures or a link to a specific post; if we upload stuff for you, I can make a list of your homebrew that automatically updates (no additional work required). And if you like that idea, convince others to have their stuff put here :-P

Havvy
2010-12-06, 10:38 PM
Been a couple weeks since I've looked at this. :smallconfused:

Debihuman: I transferred over Scrodinger's cat, Maleficent, the Fairy Godmother, and Temporal Stasis. Oh, and The Luggage. :smallbiggrin:

You've got some nice flavorful stuff, and useful for a Kingdom Hearts campaign.

Anyways, I'm still transferring stuff, if anybody else has stuff they want transferred.

Edit:

The problem is a typo in the url. It should be http, not https. So the correct link is http://dnd-wiki.org.

As an aside, feel free to port any and all my stuff over there. I would've done it myself a while ago, but it's pretty labor-intensive.

Havvy
2010-12-25, 12:43 AM
I don't have time to move my stuff over right now, but feel free to move any of that material (Narrow Bridge and Broken Blade) over if you want.

I'm looking at this as narrow as possible: Only Narrow Bridge and Broken Blade will be transferred.

Also, via Private Message, I got permission to move over The-Mage-King's nobodies and Naught template. :smallcool:

----

Progress since before, I managed to get everything of DaTedinator over that isn't based on material I've not heard of (a couple feats basically) except for the classes and the fighter feat remakes. I'll get to the fighter feat remakes soon. I'm not sure if I'll get to the classes.

I also got Debihuman's Dairymaid and Holy Cow over. I didn't transfer the weapon or minor artifact since they were not properly detailed in the thread that contained them.

Pungeon Pendragon updates were also applied.

----

I put a TODO list on http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/User:Havvy/Transfer_Service

Samm
2010-12-25, 02:38 AM
Seems like an alright endeavour. I'll give you permission to copy any of my homebrews in my sig and War Paint (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180539) an item.

As for attribution, I'd prefer if it was directed towards the original threads or my giantitp persona.

Thanks.

Havvy
2011-01-03, 12:55 PM
Another 10 days, and time for another update.

JoshuaZ's disciplines have been transferred.
Samm's War Paint has been transferred.
Debihuman's Nac Mac Feegle has been transferred. Sorry I'm going so slow, but it is taking me one hour to upload one monster focusing 100% whereas I can get 15 maneuvers transferred in an hour if I focus on it 80%.

Before I tackle DaTedinator's fighter feat replacements, I want to try an ambitious project on the wiki. So it might take awhile before that occurs. Also, I have 9 character optimization guides to transfer from Brilliant Gameoligist forums. But otherwise, I'm open for new requests.

The-Mage-King
2011-01-11, 02:03 PM
I'm just dropping in to say a brief thing- if I've 'brew'd something, and it appears finished (read: I make a post at the end saying "So, does that clear up all the issues?"), then feel free to move it to the wiki.

Also, how does one put up a class over on the wiki? By that I mean "what's the coding for it?"

Surgo
2011-01-11, 03:45 PM
I'm just dropping in to say a brief thing- if I've 'brew'd something, and it appears finished (read: I make a post at the end saying "So, does that clear up all the issues?"), then feel free to move it to the wiki.

Also, how does one put up a class over on the wiki? By that I mean "what's the coding for it?"

Go to this page (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Add_New_3.5e_Class), fill in the form for the name, and then fill out the resulting form.

Unfortunately, there's a lot to fill out when making a new class, and there's even more to actually delete (we basically put everything for every class in that form, and have the user delete the stuff that doesn't apply to the class). I'm trying to come up with ways to change that so it's more new user friendly.