2010-11-05, 07:04 PM
THE BIG 16:

•1. What game system are you running?

D&D 3.5

•2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers"
or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game
(eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting,
alternate reality, modern world, etc.)

Homebrewed. Starts in a traditional (European) D&D setting. Most of the known world is ruled by the Imperium (LG), which maintains a strictly structured society of wealth and labor distribution to "assure the greatest good of the greatest number." A secondary power is the Coalition of Lower States (CN), a loose collection of city states that generally opposes the imperial hegemony.

You start in your hometown, Hocket, (sorry to railroad initial character background), a small farming community on the edge of the Imperium, near the Slate Mountains.

•3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking
alternates, and if so, how many?

4? But whatever. So far, Chris, Kyle, Ethan.

•4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

OOTS

•5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

1. Let's do this proper.

•6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin
with?

Standard by class.

•7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders,
etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on
'prestige' and/or homebrewed

To start with, only classes from PHB 1 and no monks. More classes will become available as the story unfolds.

•8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game?
Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Any from PHB 1. The community IS mostly human, but it's not a must, because people are moved around relatively frequently so racial mix is pretty good.

•9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability
scores and Hit Points?

Standard. 4d6, drop the lowest, 7 times, drop the lowest.

•10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

No restrictions. We WILL use the point system that I started in the last campaign. To reiterate:

You have two scores, one for each alignment axis. Neutral on either axis is 0. Chaotic and Evil start at -3, Good and Lawful are +3. Actions that represent a particular alignment will earn positive or negative points. It is possible that I will implement some sort of bonuses and penalties for extreme alignments, but I will make sure that all alignments are roughly equal.

•11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in
regards to it?

Go right ahead. Like I said, more classes will open up as the game goes on, so it'll get more interesting later on.

•12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of
the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If
players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they
make the rolls, and how should they report them?

"Honor system. We don't play to cheat. Report the roll with all
modifiers. Make a special note on 1 and 20. Make the normal die rolls like skill
checks, to hit, saves, damage."

I will roll your spot and listen checks for you as appropriate. I will need character sheets from players when we begin. Thanks.

"You should make the rolls in the following way: picking up the di(c)e
(preferably the correct one(s)) and then make a sweeping motion with
your arm releasing the di(c)e during the sweep. Note the number that
is at the greatest elevation."

Report rolls in spoiler.

(Material in quotes courtesy Dave Hawkins)

•13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your
Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide
relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Alignment rules as detailed above.

•14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you
looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up
with the characters in the same city)

Backgrounds are definitely encouraged. This is supposed to be a roleplaying experience, so you need to have a solid conception of who your character is. Unfortunately, though, I need to set some restrictions:

You live in a small town near the border of the Imperium and the Low States. Though you have other duties, you are one of the strongest members of your community and have been called upon in the past to serve it in times of peril, such as last year when bandits were ransacking cottages near the edge of town. Other than that, do what you want.

•15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving,
roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

All three. TO THE LIMIT!

•16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and
supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material?
What sources can Players use for their characters?

For now, just standard core books. As you explore the world you will begin to encounter items and characters from other books, and that content will become available to you, too!

Crixx
2010-11-06, 12:34 AM
Anthony

Anthony Winterspell sighs as he looks up to the empty barroom. Taking late shifts under Olaf's watch are always dreary. The scum thick in the rag he has been wiping down the bar with is congealing under his fingernails. He can smell hints of the sweat drying on his clothes. With calloused hands he reaches under the bar to grab a glass to dirty up with his rag. For a moment excitement grips him as he glimpses the light of a lantern from outside. After a few moments he decides the bearer isn't coming any closer, and turns his gaze back to the average, menial tasks of an apprentice.

A standard way to make it easier for others to know who just posted is to bold your character's name to preface each post, but this is by no means a required gesture. It is also easiest if different characters speak in different colors. "I prefer to speak in magenta for example" This also helps differentiate speech from textual description. These are basically all of the quick tips I have about posting. Jim, you may have mentioned this, but what time of year is it? (feel free to just edit this into the big 16 somewhere if you don't want to write a new post).

Ah, one more thing. If you are new to the forums, you can 'subscribe' to a thread and then you can easily see when someone posts by logging in and clicking on the 'user cp' link near the top of the page. Pro tip.

Hypophrygian
2010-11-07, 07:55 PM
Outside the window, the bobbing light of the lantern in the distance stops moving, the sudden change in motion catching Anthony's eye. Just as suddenly, it bounces off in the opposite direction, as though its bearer had broken into a reckless run. After a dozen paces it tumbles to the ground, oil spilling over the ground and igniting in a greasy blaze. By the short-lived light of the fire, Anthony can just make out the raggedy silhouettes of three squat and hunched humanoids.

Mr Two Blocks
2010-11-09, 12:16 PM
Essemar

Essemar Bridenbell hurried along the darkened streets, fumbling to conceal the rapier he had just "acquired" from the blacksmith. It probably wouldn't be missed, the blacksmith not being the most perceptive of targets. Or so he thought. The shouts now chasing him down the streets and alleys proved him wrong.

Essemar headed in the direction of one of his favorite hiding spots. Easily sliding the window up, he climbed into the backroom of the local tavern, closed the window, and fit himself out of sight of the window behind a few barrels.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=252478

Hypophrygian
2010-11-09, 09:24 PM
The figures around the fire in the distance slip back into darkness at the sound of an approaching voice. A moment later, the jumping light of a torch tells of the blacksmith's progress out of the alley next to the tavern and into the field out front. The light of his torch blooms as it illuminates the smoke from the fallen lantern.

In the haze, Anthony can just see him stop to investigate the cause of the smog.

Kyle, can you link to your character sheet, please?

Necrocution
2010-11-11, 05:44 PM
Serena

Serena sighed as trudged along the street on the way to the local tavern. Her devotion with Heironeous was only matched by her apathy towards daily life at the chapel. "At least it's Friday." she uttered as a smirk crossed her face and thoughts of cranberry juice crossed her mind.

Everyone else is using this function

Bearclaw
2010-11-11, 08:49 PM
Jaucques Columbo

Three mules walk down the main road. They are pulling a cart with something large in the back. There is no apparent driver for the mules. Before they reach the tavern, they turn down a smaller street to the East. As the cart goes by, it can be seen that the large thing in the back is a bear. A mutha-friggin' bear. Patches of its hair seem to be frozen, but it is not apparent how it died. Slouched inside of the cart is a very thin elf. His head rests on the beastly arm of the bear.

Hello it's Dave Hawkins! Also, I hunt bear. Jaucques Columbo. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=253235)

Crixx
2010-11-13, 12:27 PM
Anthony

Seeing the blaze start up, Anthony is at first in shock. After the humanoid figures fade he knows something is amiss, and runs toward the back room as soon as the blacksmith appears. "Olaf! Fire! The town is on fire!" Simply hoping his words reach their target Anthony flings open the door to the back room, and rushes in searching in the near darkness for his scythe and chain shirt that he stores there. He finds them easily, but in his hasty donning of the shirt he knocks over a few of the empty barrels.

To his surprise, Essemar (a half-elf he has met a few times) is seated against the wall under the window holding a sword. "What are you doing back here? Wait. Never mind about that, I don't care. There is a fire, and I think the blacksmith is in danger. Quickly, come with me!" Anthony turns without looking back and begins to make his way to the front of the bar once again.

p.s. Ethan, you have to have your character sheet set to 'public' for anyone else to view it.

Bearclaw
2010-11-13, 02:48 PM
Jaucques Columbo wakes from his snooze when the mules stop at his small house. "Mother! I have returned! I slew the bear just how you wanted me to! I did well didn't I? Please say I did well. Here, let me cut it up for you nice and good." Jaucques Columbo unsheathes his dagger and starts to prepare the bear. With the help of his mage hand, Jaucques Columbo completes the task quickly. "All done Mother! May I now go into town?". His mother does not respond so he heads to the tavern with his empty flask ready for a quick filling. The fire down the road seems under control so Jaucques Columbo does not feel the need to fix it.

Mr Two Blocks
2010-11-14, 12:57 PM
Essemar

Anthony's intrusion caught Essemar by surprise, as he was fixed intently on the window. "Fire?" After a brief moment of convincing himself, Essemar stood up, and followed Anthony out towards the front of the bar. "What do you want me to do, stab it?" he asked, half serious. Before crossing the threshold out of the backroom, he made sure to fully conceal his new rapier.

Hypophrygian
2010-11-14, 02:24 PM
Shadows rear up in front of Jaques, jumping in the blaze. The familiar figure of the town blacksmith is there, but two other shadowy figues pass between Jaques and the fire, closing on the blacksmith from behind. Suddenly, one strikes, and the blacksmith utters a pathetic cry (audible to Serena) and crumples to the ground.

Olaf's voice booms from the front room of the bar: Ant'ny? Whatcha doin'? Summint' just stab' duh blacksmiff. Better lock up for duh night, I t'ink.

I'll get a combat map up soon, just gotta work out how I want to do that. David, I need a character sheet, plz.

Bearclaw
2010-11-15, 02:19 PM
"Nobody stabs MY blacksmith! Mother hates stabbing! Huzzah!!" shouts Jaucques Columbo. He moves next to the tavern door for cover and prepares himself for battle.

Hypophrygian
2010-11-15, 11:04 PM
COMBAT!

http://www.pbphud.com/maps/map68807/map.php

So that link should take you to the combat map. Here's a rundown of how combat works in these things:

Rounds occur simultaneously, as they supposedly do in tabletop D&D. Each round, each of you posts once, with a description of what your character does in flavorful terms. Then, in the Spoiler, report what you do in terms of game mechanics; list rolls (base+modifier), movement paths if applicable, and other such things. Assume your attacks hit, report a damage roll, but in your flavor description leave it open ended as to whether it connects. At the end of each round I will post a resolution of the round's actions, stating whether attacks hit, what the monsters do, etc.

We'll try simultaneous combat for at least a while. If it doesn't work we'll switch to initiative.

If any of you took Improved Initiative, it might be worth switching for something else. I'd be cool with that.

Kyle, you are the ninja in the back of the bar. Chris, you're the guy with the swords. Ethan, you are the one in the white robes coming up the road. David, you are in the dark robes near the door of the bar. The building to the South is Jacques's house. Feel free to change your figure to any other 1x1 figure, just let me know.

To use the map, first select the "erase figure" tool and remove your character. Then select your figure under the 1x1 figure menu, hover the mouse where you want it, and press "1" on your keyboard.

Happy hunting!

EDIT: I found a quick-bar feature, so you should be able to just select your icon from that bar to paint on the map. Convenience!

Hypophrygian
2010-11-16, 01:01 PM
Chris corrected me on something.

DO roll initiative. You can post in any order, but when I resolve the round I will do so in initiative order. So just report your init roll in the spoiler of your first post for the encounter.

Crixx
2010-11-16, 01:33 PM
Anthony

Anthony runs out of the bar into the night. In the light of the blaze he sees the three attackers surrounding the limp body of the blacksmith. Hoping that he is in time to save the man, he rushes forward, scythe at the ready.

Move action x2.
start position (x,y) (8,12) --> (7,11) --> (7,4) --> (10,4)
55ft of movement.

Init= 7+5 [12]

Mr Two Blocks
2010-11-16, 04:41 PM
Essemar

Essemar follows Anthony out through the bar, completely ignoring Olaf. Upon seeing the shadowy figures, he prepares his rapier and (visibly) self-modified punching dagger.

Double move action, 60 ft.
Init=7 (3+4)

Bearclaw
2010-11-17, 09:26 AM
Jaucques Columbo moves closer to the big (or small) uglies, but stays on the path just as Mother would want. "Stay off the grass!" he yells to everyone. Then he studies his enemies before unleashing his awesome wizard strength.
Init = 10+1 = 11

Move: X6,Y9 to X7,Y7

Standard: True strike (get +20 insight bonus to my next attack roll)

Free Action: Knowledge Nature on the enemies. 5+6= 11

Necrocution
2010-11-17, 02:07 PM
Serena Helsing Looks up and catches a glimpse of of what seems to be a brawl starting to shape up, "Stop this violence!" she cries. Not interested in wasting an opportunity to spread justice she charges down the path.

init:12+2 = 14
Double move:x2,y5 to x10,y5

Hypophrygian
2010-11-17, 04:42 PM
As our heroes draw nearer to the fire, they can see the source of the disturbance more clearly: ORCS! One of them is busily looting the blacksmith's body and another stares open-mouthed into the fire, the visual input seemingly too much for his pair of brain cells to handle. They fail to ready themselves until the party is almost upon them.

The third, however, is more prepared, and reaches his axe up to deliver a crushing blow to Anthony. Instead, however, he swings the axe too high and only manages to hit himself in the top of the head with the butt of the axe.

Orcs 2 and 3 lose turns, unaware of PCs until after their turns.
All PCs act successfully
Orc 1 moves: (11,3) to (11,2) and attacks Anthony: CritMiss (1)

End of Round One

ROUND TWO

The two orcs that were previously dumbfounded ready their axes. One moves to meet Serena, and the other strikes at Anthony with his axe, but instead drops it on his foot.

Orc 2:Attack Anthony (Critmiss again. Lucky Lucky.)
Orc 3: Move and attack Serena: (9+4)=13, dmg. 10 if hit

Ethan, I need you to make your character sheet public so that I can see it.

Necrocution
2010-11-17, 07:36 PM
Serena Helsing nimbly dodges the orcs heavy axe and lashes out with her whip sensing that this isn't a situation that her diplomatic skills can't get her out of.

Attack Orc 3: 9 to hit, 3 non lethal damage

Crixx
2010-11-17, 07:49 PM
Anthony

Surprised at the ineptitude of his enemies, Anthony smiles with bloodthirsty eyes as he swings his scythe toward the neck of one of the orcs. His muscles tense with extra force as adrenaline rushes through him.

Standard: Power attack 1 (-1 attack +2 damage b/c 2 handed weapon) on orc 2.
to hit: 20+2 22 (potential critical)
confirm: 12+2 14
damage: 5+5 10
if crit: 25+20 45 (I did roll the extra 6d4)

I really hope that actually crit. If it did (and I felled number 2) this would be my cleave attack on orc 1
to hit:19+2 21
damage: 5+5 10

I rock some socks or some such thing

Mr Two Blocks
2010-11-17, 09:03 PM
Essemar

Essemar sneaks behind the final, foul orc, and thrusts at it with his rapier.

Move action, 20ft

Standard action, attack Orc 3 (rapier):
Attack 20 (17+1+flanking)
Damage 10 (6+1+3[sneak attack])

Hypophrygian
2010-11-18, 12:22 AM
As Jacques looks on, Anthony drives his scythe first through the neck of one orc, then through another, leaving one dead and the other unconscious and bleeding on the ground. Serena waves her whip ineffectively through the air next to the remaining orc as Essemar moves in behind it and slides his rapier in between its ribs. It slumps to the ground.

The orc blood raises a stench as it pools and sizzles in the nearby fire.

VICTORY!

75 EXP each!

More to come as soon as I have time to write it (sometime tomorrow afternoon, probably).

Bearclaw
2010-11-18, 10:41 AM
Seeing that the commotion is over, Jaucques Columbo goes back to the tavern door. And checks to see if it is unlocked. "Please don't be closed! I'm all dry!" he shouts waving his empty flask.

Hypophrygian
2010-11-18, 09:20 PM
Olaf's gruff voice sounds from inside:

"Go 'way orc! Tavern's closed for t'night, nob'dy's here. Go 'way!

Mr Two Blocks
2010-11-18, 10:25 PM
Essemar

Satisfied with his victory, Essemar looks the bodies of the orcs over, briefly checking for both an explanation of their presence and anything useful to take.

"Crit" search, 26 (20+6)

Bearclaw
2010-11-18, 11:13 PM
"BRA-LAH!! Well off to another tavern to fill my flask." Jaucques Columbo rushes off to go to a rival tavern which he hopes is still open.

Hey Jim, Jaucques Columbo is spelled with a U. His mother would appreciate it if you spelled her little baby's name correctly. :)

Crixx
2010-11-19, 10:50 AM
Anthony

Anthony looks around the quick-lived battlefield. Three felled enemies and one dead blacksmith. He shakes his head and turns to go back to the bar before the flickering light of the fire catches his eye. "Fire! Someone help! We need to put this fire out." Anthony turns to run for the well but realizes he has nothing to put the water in. He runs to the bar instead to grab a barrel. Finding it locked, he pounds heavily on the wood with his left fist. "Olaf let me in! The town is on fire!"

Bearclaw
2010-11-19, 10:57 AM
"Oh right. The fire. Mother would want me to put it out." Staying on the path, Jaucques Columbo's arms turn blue and it quickly spreads to his fingers. Then an icy stream comes from his fingers and lands on the fire.

I attack the fire!

Ray of Frost 19+1=20
Damage: 3

Suck it fire.

Hypophrygian
2010-11-20, 10:28 PM
The fire sputters, steams, and dies.

Olaf's voice comes from behind the door. "Ant'ny? Dat you? Dunnit look like fire. Dis an orc trick? I'm not lettin' you in if dis is an orc trick!"

Crixx
2010-11-21, 04:30 PM
Anthony

Looking back to the fire, he sees that a mage is dealing with the problem. Satisfied with that he calms down some. "It's me Olaf. I just sliced the head off of an orc for you. And I expect some better pay for that as well." He pauses and then remembers something the mage yelled just after the battle. "And I think we have a customer."

Mr Two Blocks
2010-11-21, 04:50 PM
Essemar

Essemar continues to search the orc bodies.

Jimmy why you hate me? =(

Hypophrygian
2010-11-21, 08:06 PM
Olaf peers through the small window at the top of the door cautiously, then unbolts the door and lets it swing open. He starts to head back the the bar.

"Ant'ny, you're silly. You know you don't get bonuses. Go tap a keg of ale for our guests."

Essemar:
Among the orc bodies you find:
5446 copper pieces, 3 ordinary handaxes, and a small fife that seems to be of exceptional quality.

Mr Two Blocks
2010-11-21, 08:39 PM
Essemar

Essemar pockets the coins from the orc bodies....as well as sneaking the fife (Sleight of Hand 15 [9+6])"I could use a drink myself. This round's on the orcs," he says, making a show of one of their coin pouches.

Hypophrygian
2010-11-21, 08:49 PM
Serena sees Essemar pocket a masterwork fife from the orc bodies.

Spot 23 [20+3]

Necrocution
2010-11-21, 10:09 PM
Serena Helsing Glares at Essemar and remarks "Indeed a round of drinks will be splendid as soon as we contact the authorities. That fife is obviously stolen and we need to report the situation anyways." Assuming cooperation she begins to head towards the town hall in an attempt to see if anyone capable of dealing with this situation is still up at this late hour.

Hypophrygian
2010-11-22, 03:57 PM
Serena:The Town Hall/Mayor's Mansion stands at the top of a hill at the end of the road, its windows dark. The door is locked. Except in emergencies, the Town Hall is open from breakfast to suppertime on weekdays.

Mr Two Blocks
2010-11-22, 04:31 PM
Essemar

"Hey, hey, calm down a second. Relax!" Essemar calls to Serena as he hustles to catch up with her. "There's no need for that. If the orcs did steal this, I doubt they let whoever it belonged to live." He looks at Serena, pleadingly. "Besides, I always wanted to learn to play an instrument."Bluff 20 (18+2)

Crixx
2010-11-22, 05:00 PM
Anthony

Faced with a decision between responsibility and responsibility, Anthony quickly chooses to go the route that ought to prove more interesting. "Screw that Olaf. Hey Essemar, wait up!" Anthony rushes off to catch up with the two walking toward the main part of town. He catches up at about the words "belonged to live". "What are we doing now?"

Necrocution
2010-11-22, 08:19 PM
Serena Helsing Looks at Essemar with piercing green eyes "Perhaps so." she states simply after several seconds after coming to the realization that although he may be lying he certainly may be correct in thinking that the owners of said instrument may be dead. More so Essemar could prove to be a powerful ally of the law if left to be a little lawless. "Regardless the authorities need to be informed." She pauses for a second "Some company would be nice."

Sense Motive: 19+3=22 Thieving ****

Hypophrygian
2010-11-25, 12:51 AM
The Town Hall/Mayor's Mansion stands at the top of a hill at the end of the road, its windows dark. The door is locked. Except in emergencies, the Town Hall is open from breakfast to suppertime on weekdays.

Crixx
2010-11-25, 11:44 AM
Anthony

"Well. I forgot that everyone is probably asleep. Hey chick, if you wanted, we could go to the jail. It's sure to have some guards on duty we could talk to." After he says this he immediately thinks: I hope Ingrid isn't on duty. That could be awkward.

Mr Two Blocks
2010-11-27, 10:41 PM
Essemar

"Jail?" Essemar stammers. "I really don't think that's necessary." He looks at Anthony, hoping to turn a casual acquaintance into a trusted ally for the time being. "Right?"

Crixx
2010-11-28, 01:12 PM
Anthony

In one of his few moments of forethought (brought on by Essemar's comment), Anthony considers showing up to the jail house at night and running into Ingrid while in the company of another . . . healthy . . . young woman. His eyes widen at the thought, and he hurriedly amends his statement, "On second thought, those guards probably don't have the right authority to deal with this . . . ordeal. And I mean, it looked to be a small band of orcs, nothing huge. It can probably wait until tomorrow to be reported." Remembering the dead body, he quickly adds "We could take the blacksmith's body to the church to be purified." He smiles, hoping the girl doesn't see his nervousness.

Necrocution
2010-11-29, 12:19 PM
Serena Helsing
listens intently while looking at Anthony quizzically. "What would be awkward about it? Going to the jail seems like a solid idea and afterwords we could go to the church. While there is the possibility that the orcs were nothing they could have been a scouting party or something of the sort." she states simply. She cracks a devilish grin and adds "And then we could go to the bar and celebrate our victory!" Her mind drifting back towards the day off that stands before her.

Lame

Hypophrygian
2010-11-29, 02:24 PM
The night breeze carries cries from down the road. A female voice echoes from the direction of the jail: "Sound the alarm! SOUND THE ALARM! WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!"

Anthony:
The voice sounds like it probably belongs to Ingrid.

Serena:
You cannot diplomacy player characters: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/diplomacy.htm

Mr Two Blocks
2010-11-29, 03:09 PM
Essemar

Hearing the call, Essemar doesn't hesitate to drop the current debate. "Well, looks like we're needed again. Let's go see what this is all about." He begins to hurry towards the source of the voice, not realizing where it will take him.

Bearclaw
2010-11-29, 04:34 PM
Jaucques Columbo searches the whole town for some drink but finds nothing. He comes back Olaf's tavern and goes in. "I thought you were closed. I came back because as mother says, 'leave the frosting in the ice chest.' How much of your strongest brew can I get for two gold?"

Jim, can I go back in time before the alarm. I didn't have computer access over break. Jaucques Columbo needs to get his drink on.

Crixx
2010-11-29, 07:37 PM
Anthony

Hearing the screams Anthony rushes into action, barely recognizing Ingrid's voice as he sprints off, close behind Essemar. He is smiling, ready for another fight.

Hypophrygian
2010-11-30, 01:02 PM
So, sometime in the next few days a new combat encounter will start. I'm a bit flooded right now, but as soon as I have time I'll put it all together.

Jaucques notices that magically his flask has filled with whiskey, his purse is 2 silver lighter, and he has poofed to join the rest of the party outside the Town Hall.

Necrocution
2010-12-02, 08:51 AM
Serena Helsing

Serena Helsing charges off in the direction of the voice and pulls out her whip. It seems that tonight is going to be a rather busy one and she is more than happy to accommodate to serve out justice with the crack of her whip, even at this hour.

Hypophrygian
2010-12-04, 06:48 PM
COMBAT!

Map is up.

So, as I consider it further, I think we're going to go by initiative order instead of simultaneous rounds. Post an init roll and I will come up with the order and post that. I will post only when an NPC or enemy has its turn--if two or more of you are in a row, you can go ahead and do your things without waiting for me to give the last guy the results of his turn. I'll resolve all outstanding turns when it comes back to my turn to post.

Crixx
2010-12-04, 07:19 PM
Anthony

Init- 1d20+5 9

Bearclaw
2010-12-05, 10:47 AM
Jaucques Columbo!

10+1=11

Mr Two Blocks
2010-12-06, 12:05 PM
Essemar

9+4=13

Bearclaw
2010-12-07, 12:32 PM
Jaucques Columbo whirls around when he poofs next to the town hall. His eyes show fear, aggression, and bewilderment. "Bah Wah?! How did I get here?" Then he notices that his flask weighs a bit more than it used to. He notes the alarm but he knows what he must do first. Jaucques Columbo carefully unscrews the flask and takes a long whiff of the drink inside. "Whiskey" he says smiling.

Hypophrygian
2010-12-07, 05:31 PM
Ethan Init: [5+2=7]
Initiative Order:
NPCs/Enemies
Essemar
Jaucques
Anthony
Enemies/NPCs
Serena
Enemies.

Hypophrygian
2010-12-07, 05:53 PM
Ingrid

Ingrid's cries for help give way to a grunt as she thrusts her spear into the chest of an oncoming orc.

Shortspear attack on Orc 3. {POTENTIAL CRIT! 1d20+3=5, regular hit.} 2 damage.

Guard B

The guard takes a step forward, thrusting his spear in front of him wildly but ineffectively to ward off the incoming orcs.

MOVE: 5-foot step east. STANDARD: Shortspear attack on Orc 5. {1d20+1=6, miss}

ORCS!

The orcs do not take kindly to the guard's attempts to impale them. Two orcs descend upon him with a vengeance.

Orc 5
STANDARD: Axe attack on Guard B. {1d20+4=9, miss}

Orc 4
MOVE: Move to (36,12)
STANDARD: Axe attack on Guard B. {1d20+4=23, hit} 5 damage.

DM:
Map is in the same place: http://www.pbphud.com/maps/map68807/map.php

The guards and Ingrid are on your side, btw.

Mr Two Blocks
2010-12-07, 07:31 PM
Essemar

Seeing the new orcish threat, Essemar begins to hurry towards the battle, hoping to outflank his foes.

Double move!
I decide who's on my side

Bearclaw
2010-12-08, 05:26 PM
"To the path! Stay on the path!" Jaucques Columbo shouts to his comrades. "Don't take a bath, stay on the path!"

Le double move as well. Only moved at right angles as well.

Crixx
2010-12-08, 05:43 PM
Anthony

Seeing Ingrid and the other guards in trouble, Anthony runs straight to the fray as fast as his limbs will take him. He carries his scythe menacingly as he does so. "Raaaaghh!!"

I run. Straight. All of 4x move speed.

Hypophrygian
2010-12-09, 01:00 AM
ORCS

Alerted by Anthony's clamor, the two nearest orcs whirl on him and attack viciously, but ineffectively.

ORC 1:
MOVE: 5-foot step south
STANDARD: Axe attack on Anthony: {1d20+4=6, miss}

ORC 3:
STANDARD: Axe attack on Anthony: {1d20+4=9, miss}What the **** with you being invincible? You're Chris. You should be dead by now.

GUARD A

With a whimper, the guard hurries to assist his mate to the south.
MOVE:15 feet to (36,11)
STANDARD: Spear attack on Orc 4 {8+1=9, miss}

DM:I can't hit things for **** right now. Jeebus.

Necrocution
2010-12-09, 10:49 AM
Serena Helsing is caught off guard while pouring over things in her mind. Finally she comes to her senses and charges into the fray chanting her classic battle cry.

Double move: (8,5) to (16,5)NO YOUR INIT IS 7

Hypophrygian
2010-12-10, 12:46 AM
Orcs!

One orc closes in on Ingrid from the North, while another moves to flank the guard on the south side of the jail. The latter orc lands a fearsome blow on the Guard's skull with his axe, and the guard slumps to the ground, unconscious but not bleeding. The former orc's axe bounces off of Ingrid's splint mail with a resounding CLANG!

ORC 6:
MOVE: (36,14)
STANDARD: Axe attack {1d20+4+2=13, hit! 1d6+3=4 damage.}

ORC 2:
MOVE: (35,6)
STANDARD: Axe attack on Ingrid {1d20+4=15, miss}

END OF ROUND 1

START OF ROUND 2

Ingrid

Ingrid whirls on the orc that attacked her, calling him a nasty name as she thrusts her spear up through his neck and into his brain pan, leaving him bleeding on the ground.

STANDARD: Spear attack on Orc 2 {1d20+2=21, hit! 6 damage--Unconscious, bleeding.}

Guard 2

Guard 2 lies on the ground, surrounded by orcs and helplessly unconscious.

ORCS AGAIN!

While one orc uses his axe to remove the downed guard's head, the other closes in to attack the remaining guard. He slashes the guard across the chest with his axe, leaving a gaping wound. The guard does not look like he is doing well.

ORC 5:
FULL ROUND: Coup de Grace! {Auto-Crit, 2d6+6=11 damage. Guard is decapitated.}

ORC 4:
MOVE: 15 feet north (36,9)
STANDARD: Axe attack on Guard 1 {1d20+4=13, hit! {1d6+3=8 damage}

Mr Two Blocks
2010-12-10, 02:09 AM
Essemar

Unable to do anything to save the fallen guard, Essemar continues to work his way behind the northern cluster of foul orcs.

Double Move again.Too slow to get an attack until next round.Dammit.

Hypophrygian
2010-12-10, 08:41 AM
Hey guys, running is pretty cool sometimes.

Bearclaw
2010-12-10, 10:18 AM
"Power run!" shouts Jaucques Columbo as he runs down the path. He skids to a stop to avoid running off of the path. "Keep your shoes clean, Jaucques Columbo. Mother would not want you to track mud in the house" he recites.

ran.

Crixx
2010-12-10, 10:32 AM
Anthony

With all the force Anthony can summon, he swings his scythe toward the neck of one of the foul orcs. He barely registers Ingrid's presence now as he is totally absorbed in the fighting.

Power attack 1 (-1 attack +2 damage)
Attack on Orc 3
To hit: 1d20+2 15
Damage: 2d4+5 11

Secondary attack (Cleave) to orc 1 if I felled orc 3
To hit: 1d20+2 8
Damage: 2d4+5 9

Since in all likelihood I did not hit orc 1 I will not take my move action.

Hypophrygian
2010-12-10, 08:58 PM
Anthony's scythe bites into the first orc's neck, removing its head almost completely, then swinging through to the next orc and swiping the air just in front of its nose.

ORCS!

The orc nearest to Anthony lets out a feral cry of fear and rage, burying its axe into Anthony's shoulder. Or at least, it tries to, but its blunted axe just slides off Anthony's chain shirt.

STANDARD: Axe attack on Anthony: {1d20(7)+4=11}.

Meanwhile, the orc whose head Anthony nearly removed gives a final, rattling breath, and expires.

Guard A

The guard gives a shriek of terror as the orc approaches him, turning to escape behind Ingrid for cover.

Necrocution
2010-12-12, 03:49 PM
Serena Helsing

Sensing the growing urgency of the situation Serena Dashes the rest of the distance between her and the orcs

Run move: (16,5) to (32,5)

Hypophrygian
2010-12-12, 10:33 PM
Orcs!

Orc 6 kicks the headless body of the guard, then turns to regard the other cooly. He moves to the north, taking a swing at Ingrid when he reaches her. His axe bites through her armor, burying itself in her shoulder.

ORC 6:
MOVE: North to (36,8)
STANDARD: Axe attack on Ingrid: {18+4=22, hit! 1+3=4 damage.}

Orc 2 lies unconscious on the ground, losing a lot of blood.

END OF ROUND TWO.

BEGIN ROUND THREE.

Ingrid

Ingrid steps in front of her wounded comrade and channels all her might into striking the orc whose axe just ruined her nice new armor. Unfortunately, her thrust is reckless and misses the mark.

MOVE: 5-foot step
STANDARD: Spear attack on Orc 6, Power attack 1: {5+0, miss}

ORCS!

Orc 4 moves wide around the now furious Ingrid, hoping to intercept the newcomer that just dismembered his friend. His axe slashes across Anthony's torso, leaving a significant gash across his chest.

MOVE: to (33,7), avoiding attack of opportunity
STANDARD: Axe attack on Anthony: {12+4=16, hit! 6+3=9 damage.}

Orc 5 steps up to take Ingrid on. His axe also hit Ingrid's armor, but fails to penetrate it.

MOVE: to (35,8) straight north
STANDARD: Axe attack on Ingrid {13+4=17, miss}

Mr Two Blocks
2010-12-14, 08:09 PM
Essemar

Essemar Bridenbell closes the remainder of the gap between himself and the orcs. Looking grimly at the first he encounters, he attempts to slide his rapier into its core.

Move action, provoking attack of opportunity from ORC 1
Standard action: Rapier(1d20+1)=9. Damage[(1d6+1)=6+Sneak Attack bonus(1d6=1)]=7.

Bearclaw
2010-12-15, 09:20 AM
"Boo-Wip! Noodle attack!" Jaucques Columbo shouts as a ray of noodles comes from his finger tips and attempts to turn the orc's limbs into noodles.

Touch attack vs orc 4. 5+1=6
In the off chance i hit, i do 6 strength damage.

Crixx
2010-12-15, 09:31 AM
Anthony

Reeling from his wound, Anthony screams. Then he lashes out once again at an orc's meaty throat.

Power attack 1 on orc 1
to hit: 1d20+4 (flanking) 12
damage: 2d4+5 10

if that fells orc 1, attack on orc 4
to hit: 1d20+2 22 potential crit
confirm roll: 1d20+2: 13
damage: 2d4+5 9
crit damage: 8d4+20 41

HP: 2/11

Hypophrygian
2010-12-15, 03:39 PM
An orc snorts derisively as Jaucques's spell flies overhead into the night air.

Attack of Opportunity

ORC 1 lashes out at Essemar as he passes, burying his axe in Essemar's unprotected calf and bringing him to the ground.

Axe attack on Essemar: 1d20+4=21, hit! 1d6+3=7 damage. Essemar is unconscious.

ORC

Unharmed by the impact of Anthony's scythe against his armor, the orc responds by attempting once more to sink his axe into Anthony's flesh. He succeeds only in striking Anthony's armor.

STANDARD: Axe attack on Anthony: {1d20+4=12, miss.}

Guard A

The guard continues to cower behind Ingrid, too badly injured to feel like fighting.

Necrocution
2010-12-18, 01:20 AM
Serena Helsing

Seeing Essemar fall Serena moves over in an attempt to help him up.

Move: 5 foot step x32,y5 to x33,y6
Cure light wounds:5+1=6 on Essemar

Hypophrygian
2010-12-18, 06:26 PM
ORC 6

The orc snarls viciously and recklessly attempts to land another blow on Ingrid. Instead he slices the air

STANDARD: Axe attack on Ingrid: {1d20+4=7, miss}

END OF ROUND THREE, BEGIN ROUND TWO

Ingrid

Ingrid clenches her teeth and takes another stab at Orc 6, but to no avail.

STANDARD: Power attack 1 on Orc 6: {1d20+1=10, miss}

ORCS

Orc 4 continues to lay into Anthony, rendering him unconscious with a blow to the head. Meanwhile, orc 5 takes another chunk out of Ingrid's armor by sinking his axe into her side.

ORC 4: STANDARD:Axe attack on Anthony {1d20+4=19, hit! 1d6+3=5 damage}

ORC 5: STANDARD: Axe attack on Ingrid {1d20+4=23, hit! 1d6+3=6 damage.}

{Essemar's Turn}

Mr Two Blocks
2010-12-18, 09:32 PM
Essemar

Wary of the orcs' combat abilities, but seeking vengeance, Essemar brings himself to his feet. With a scowl, he quickly (and haphazardly) thrusts with his rapier, hoping to use it to avoid another hit.

Fighting Defensively! -4 on Attacks, +2 Dodge AC bonus for the round

Move Action: Stand up
Attack: Rapier(1d20+1-4)12, Damage(1d6+1)7

Hypophrygian
2010-12-18, 11:21 PM
The orc's studded leather armor turns away the point of Essemar's rapier.

Bearclaw
2010-12-21, 12:04 PM
Being a good child, Jaucques Columbo chooses to not throw lava on his comrades. Instead he takes the time to swill some of his whiskey. Posting is hard. I can't view the map unless I get on a real comp. iPod is hard to dnd but I will try.

Hypophrygian
2010-12-24, 05:48 PM
DM Announcement:
In light of David's internet situation (i.e., David has no functional internet over break) we will be taking a hiatus until break is over, unfortunately. HOWEVER! I am beginning to work on a plan to get David up here to CFalls for a few days so that we could play a tabletop session or two! Further details (and, hopefully, plot hooks!) to come!

Hypophrygian
2011-01-11, 05:55 PM
RESUME PLAY

(Anthony's turn.)

Crixx
2011-01-11, 09:41 PM
Anthony

Roll to not bleed succeed on 1-10%
46% -4HP

Hypophrygian
2011-01-11, 11:15 PM
ORC 1

The orc, satisfied at having maimed the large man with the scythe, turns his attention to other threats--namely, the woman standing behind him in the armor.

STANDARD: Axe attack on Serena: {18+4=HIT. 1+4=5 damage.}

GUARD A

The guard, realizing that he can't escape, musters some courage to take a haphazard stab at a nearby orc. His blow lands, impaling the orc straight through the chest.

MOVE: 5-foot step
STANDARD: Spear attack on Orc 5: {14+2= 16, HIT! 6+2=8 damage!}

ORC 3

The orc dies with a rasping final breath.

{Serena's Turn}

Necrocution
2011-01-12, 11:34 AM
"**** guys, get it together" is muttered as a flustered Serena moves over to Anthony.

5 foot step: (33,4) to (32,5)
Cast healy spell on Anthony: 7+1=8

Hypophrygian
2011-01-12, 03:02 PM
ORC 6

Having seen his comrade impaled, the orc takes a desperate swing at the remaining guard. His axe bites hard into the guard's thigh, leaving him bleeding on the ground.

STANDARD: Axe attack on Guard A {Power attack, 10+3=13, HIT. 5+1=6 damage.}

Meanwhile, ORC 2's bleeding stabilizes.

INGRID

Ingrid avenges her colleague by stabbing fiercely at the orc that hit him.

STANDARD: Spear attack on ORC 6. {Power attack +1, 13+1=14, hit. 2+2=4 damage.}

ORC 4

The orc takes a swing at Anthony as he lays on the ground, but instead gets distracted by the grass to Anthony's left.

STANDARD: Axe attack on Anthony. {1=CRIT FAIL.}

{Essemar's Turn.}

Mr Two Blocks
2011-01-17, 02:28 PM
Essemar

Growing frustrated with his inability to down his enemies, Essemar attacks with a singular focus. "Die already!"

Double attack on Orc 1:
Rapier: (15-1)=14, damage (2+1)=3
Punching Dagger: (12-1)=11, damage (2+1)=3

Bearclaw
2011-01-17, 10:39 PM
The grand champion of being sweet, Jacques Columbo, takes another swig of whiskey and waits for orcs to die.

I have no good spells left so I continue to drink.

Crixx
2011-01-17, 10:50 PM
Anthony

Standing with a growl, Anthony swings his scythe toward the groin of the nearest orc.

provoke an attack of opportunity from orc 4 by standing.

attack on orc 4 if still up
Power attack 1
to hit: 1d20+2 22 potential crit.
confirm crit: 1d20+2 16
damage: 2d4+5 11
damage if crit: 8d4+20 34

I rolled 5 ones in a row for the crit damage :_(

Hypophrygian
2011-01-17, 11:26 PM
ORC 1 slumps to the ground with Essemar's rapier in his chest. Incidentally, Essemar's punching dagger misses the orc completely, passing over its head as it falls.

ORC 4 explodes on contact with Anthony's scythe, showering Anthony with gore and leaving behind, remarkably, a pair of smoldering boots.

Guard A

The guard takes a feeble stab at the remaining orc.

STANDARD: Spear attack on orc:{1d20+2=7, miss. :smallfrown:}

{Serena's turn. Map cleaned up.}

Necrocution
2011-01-19, 09:32 PM
Growing tired of the inadequacies of her companions Serena moves into to attack the remaining orc.

Double move:(33,4) to (35,9)

Hypophrygian
2011-01-20, 12:32 PM
ORC 6

The orc takes one last desperate swing at the injured guard's neck, his axe biting hard tearing through the guard's shattered spinal cord.

STANDARD: Axe attack on Guard A: {Nat20--Potential Crit! Confirm: 1d20+4=12, CRITICAL HIT! 2d6+8=15 damage.

INGRID

Horrified at the injury inflicted on her comrade, Ingrid attempts to retaliate, but her aim is shaken by her grief.

STANDARD: Spear attack on Orc 6: {1d20+2=4, miss}

{Essemar's Turn}

Mr Two Blocks
2011-01-22, 07:06 PM
Essemar

With a slight smile, Essemar quickly moves to the final orc and thrusts his rapier, still dripping with orc blood.

Move action, to flank
Attack: Rapier(1d20+1+flanking bonus)=19, damage(1d6+1+1d6 sneak attack bonus)=11

Hypophrygian
2011-01-22, 08:49 PM
The last orc (finally) slumps to the ground with one final convulsion.

VICTORY!

120 XP

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"Oh, Anthony! You, uh... you look good in red," [/COLOR]says Ingrid, raising one eyebrow and indicating the gore coating Anthony's armor.

Crixx
2011-01-23, 12:10 AM
Anthony

Breathing heavily from the battle Anthony takes a second to realize that Ingrid is there. Once he does his eyes grow wide and his cheeks blush (not that anyone can tell, he is covered in blood). "Hi Ingrid . . . um, thanks I guess. Sorry we couldn't stop them from killing your friends. Good to see your job at the guard is . . . um . . . lively. Anthony looks down and pointedly avoids making eye contact with Ingrid and Serena.

Bearclaw
2011-01-23, 11:57 AM
Jacques Columbo stands proudly on the path. "Hu-RUMPH! Hu-rumph hu-rumph hu-rumph. Three "Hu-Rumphs" for the wizard!" Then Jacques Columbo uses his super sweet magic to paint the dead orcs on the ground. In green and brown lettering, the words "Da Path!" appear on the closest dead orc. "There. My work here is done." Jacques Columbo starts walking back to his house to carve up the recently slain bear.

Hypophrygian
2011-01-23, 04:28 PM
Ingrid watches Jaucques start to head off, but addresses her words to Anthony. "I see you continue to make interesting friends... Anyway, I suppose we'd better get this mess cleaned up. What the hell were all those orcs doing this far into town?" She wonders aloud.

Beneath the blood and mud, Anthony, Essemar, and Serena notice that Ingrid's armor is shiny and new, more ornate than that of her companions, being emblazoned with a bold symbol of a blue hand grasping a white lightning bolt--insignia of the Royal Order of Heironeous.

Crixx
2011-01-24, 11:47 AM
Anthony

Seeing the symbol Anthony frowns, but doesn't say anything. He is not particularly into rules and order and such, but it doesn't really surprise him that Ingrid turned out that way. The Imperium will certainly make good use of her. Anthony thinks. We're part of the Imperium right? Anthony can't really remember being so far from the capitol, but he assumes this is so.

Hypophrygian
2011-01-24, 03:44 PM
"Anyway, I know there's been a lot of orcs sighted around the edge of town lately, but I can't believe this many made it this far in. They're getting bolder. Must be camped out somewhere up in the hills, a tribe of 'em."

As she says this, Ingrid is dragging the body of one of her comrades back to the door of the guardhouse.

Mr Two Blocks
2011-01-24, 04:39 PM
Essemar

"Well, they shouldn't be a big threat, right? I mean, after this attack you guards will be ready for them." Essemar remarks, trying to keep Anthony between himself and Ingrid. "You can't risk a large party of them getting into town." He shifts in place, trying to hide his discomfort.

Hypophrygian
2011-01-24, 05:34 PM
"Well, we know they're out there and that they're getting bolder, but unfortunately we are chronically under-staffed to begin with, and now we're down two guards. Not that these two were much use anyway. I guess I could put in a request to the Order to get a detachment sent, but that takes at least a month and requires review by the Provincial Council."

Ingrid looks Anthony up and down with her bright blue eyes in a way that is not entirely unsuggestive. "If only there were someone with the right equipment who could go in and take care of the job..."

Crixx
2011-01-24, 07:06 PM
Anthony

Anthony, feeling under a considerable amount of pressure blurts out, "Okay." Then looks up suddenly, eyes wide. "I mean, after a good night's rest I can check it out, shouldn't be much of a problem as long as someone is there to watch my back." At this Anthony turns to the other three people who just fought with him and, face out of sight of Ingrid, gives a half pleading, half embarrassed look.

Bearclaw
2011-01-25, 11:10 AM
Jacques Columbo comes running back to the group. He approaches the group mumbling to himself something about how mad "she" would be. "I'm sorry I left you. Mother would have been so mad if I didn't take my new friends home to meet her. She loves it when I have guests. And we are friends, aren't we? We killed the orcs together. As a team. Like friends would do. Right? You must come meet her."

Necrocution
2011-01-25, 02:32 PM
Serena

"Although I would love to meet your mother we have other matters to attend to currently" Serena says to Jacques. Trying to conceal her excitement at the prospect of helping the order Serena turns to Anthony and hurriedly stammers "If it helps the order i would be proud to help carry out this mission.".

Bearclaw
2011-01-25, 05:14 PM
Jacques Columbo does not hear Serena. In fact, he never stopped talking. He stares at the ground to avoid staring at anything else. His speech is now a hurried mutter. "...and cookies. Cookies too. She always bakes cookies for guests. And after cookies there it is time for sleep. Maybe we can have a sleep over. In the barn. With friends..."

Hypophrygian
2011-01-25, 10:15 PM
Ingrid ignores Jaucques completely, focusing coldly on Serena. "Well, Anthony, I suppose that if *that's* what it takes to get you to finally use that equipment of yours..." She seems to catch herself, blinking twice before forcing a warm smile to her lips. Then, well, the more help the better! Like I said, the orcs are probably camped somewhere up in the hills--probably best to hold off on looking for them until daylight."

Mr Two Blocks
2011-01-27, 01:12 AM
Essemar

"I hate to be the practical one, but what's in this for us?" Essemar asks, a slight grin beginning to stretch up the left side of his face. "Surely there's some kind of incentive."

Hypophrygian
2011-01-27, 08:29 AM
Ingrid rolls her eyes. "Isn't not watching everyone you ever loved get brutally murdered by orcs reward enough in itself?"

Crixx
2011-01-27, 01:05 PM
Anthony

Seeing some amount of conflict beginning to arise for all parties, Anthony (In a moment more of embarrassment and wanting to escape than of foresight) decides to step in. "So we should all just meet at the edge of town closest to where these Orcs are hiding tomorrow at dawn. Sound like a plan? Good." He then shakes Essemar's hand, pulling him close and whispering "I will give you half of my share of anything we find if you do this for me." Then he smiles, waves to the motley group of bloodied people, and heads off to rest for the night.

Bearclaw
2011-01-27, 04:06 PM
"Meeting at dawn? Well until then we could go over to my house for cookies. Mother would just love to hear about our new adventure. Let's go!" says Jacques Columbo

Mr Two Blocks
2011-01-27, 04:43 PM
Essemar

A look of satisfaction on his face, Essemar turns to leave. "I guess it can't hurt to play hero. Dawn it is, then."

Hypophrygian
2011-01-30, 06:11 PM
Ingrid nods in Jaucques's direction, still speaking to Anthony: "What's this one blathering on about? Anyway, get out of here, I've got cleanup to do and I'm off shift in a few hours. You go crack some orc skulls, and you'll be doing us all a favor.

Crixx
2011-01-30, 10:59 PM
I have already left for the night (previous post) and cannot respond to Ingrid. I am ready to start tomorrow when everyone else is.

Hypophrygian
2011-01-31, 05:41 PM
My bad on the sloppy DM-ing. Let's just make the awkward pause go away by magically making it morning!

As the sun comes up, the party finds themselves resting comfortably in their respective beds, ready for the day ahead.

Crixx
2011-02-01, 09:29 AM
Anthony

Anthony, feeling well rested, if still a bit sore from last evenings activities, heads out to the meeting place at dawn, hoping the others actually show up.

Bearclaw
2011-02-01, 11:32 AM
Jacques Columbo comes smiling up to Anthony at the gate. "Guess what I have?", he says actually expecting an answer.

Hypophrygian
2011-02-01, 06:04 PM
I'm betting it's cookies.

Mr Two Blocks
2011-02-02, 12:35 AM
Essemar

Essemar emerges from a nearby alleyway, finishing putting on his armor. "Morning, everyone. Where are we headed off to?"

Crixx
2011-02-02, 10:50 PM
Anthony

Anthony begins pacing back and forth. "We should wait for the cleric woman. Then we head off to fight our enemy face to face." He is smiling.

Necrocution
2011-02-03, 12:39 AM
Serena

Serena shows up slightly late, not for a lack of wanting to go or sleeping in, it simply takes women longer to get ready for things. Her hair straightened and make up done she makes her way to the rest of the congregated orc hunting party. "So what are we waiting for? Let's get moving" she states impatiently.

Hypophrygian
2011-02-03, 08:18 AM
<a href="http://imgur.com/6oOcg" title="Hosted by imgur.com">http://imgur.com/6oOcg.jpg</a>

Crixx
2011-02-03, 11:22 AM
Anthony

As soon as Serena arrives, Anthony is on the move. He takes point without saying a word and begins trudging his way down the path, ready for the fight.

Hypophrygian
2011-02-03, 08:23 PM
As the party crests a low hill less than a mile outside of town, they spot a lone traveler on the road ahead, walking toward Hocket. The male human's head is hairless and uncovered; he appears to be carrying only a simple walking stick and wears a plain, if well-made, white robe.

Bearclaw
2011-02-06, 12:21 PM
Jacques Columbo spies a potential friend. "Hello friend!" he shouts to the man. "Care for a cookie?" None of his other friends cared enough to ask about what he had. This thought makes Jacques Columbo a little bit sad.

Hypophrygian
2011-02-06, 07:53 PM
Unknown Man

"Hail, travelers! Where pass you this fine morning?"

He takes a cookie from Jaucques and sniffs it to see what kind it is.

Told you it was cookies.

Crixx
2011-02-07, 12:29 AM
Anthony

"We are going to kill some orcs plaguing the town. I don't have time to waste we must press on." Suiting actions to words, Anthony walks past the man without a second glance.

Hypophrygian
2011-02-07, 12:36 AM
Unknown Man

Someone put off by Anthony's curt demeanor, the man returns to Jaucques.

"Is that to say that there is a town nearby? I have been on the road for some time and would welcome a chance to visit a village. Are there by chance any temples in this town?"

Bearclaw
2011-02-07, 05:56 PM
Jacques Columbo smiles at his new friend. "Why yes there is good sir. From where do you hail? And what did you think of the cookie? Mother will want to hear. Would you like another?"

They are chocolate chip.

Hypophrygian
2011-02-08, 11:48 PM
The Preacher
"Oh! Excuse me for not properly introducing myself! I am but a humble student of religion from a far away land. I have traveled many nations for many years, studying their faiths to learn of their cultures."

He tentatively nibbles at the cookie, then, finding it to be tasty, begins to eat it in earnest.

I forgot to include his physical description! Here it is:

As he approaches, you gain a closer look at the traveler. He is unusually tall for a human, with a narrow but muscular figure revealed by his sleaveless robe. His eyes are piercingly blue, and betray a mind that labors with furious keenness. The tan skin of his head is totally hairless, and he bears a small, dark tattoo on his forehead, three inverted triangles, narrowly spaced.

Crixx
2011-02-09, 11:00 AM
Anthony

Hearing voices in conversation behind him, Anthony turns back and sighs. Then he begins to pace back and forth along the width of their path, using the scythe as a walking stick of sorts. He keeps an eye on both his group and down the road toward their destination.

Bearclaw
2011-02-10, 01:12 PM
"Hello Reverend. What land is this you hail from? Tell me of their bear hunting tournaments." Jacques Columbo says with a manly tone. "Also, did you happen to study any goblin religions in your travels? We are about to go ice them and perhaps you could give us some pointers."

Hypophrygian
2011-02-10, 05:43 PM
The Preacher

"My land is far to the East. I have been traveling for many years, and I am certain that you have not heard its name. As with regards to goblins, I find their beliefs to be primitive and tribal. To my knowledge, ice does not play a significant role in their rituals."

Orcs, while technically goblinoid, are not actually the same as goblins in D&D :smallwink:

Bearclaw
2011-02-10, 07:56 PM
oops ya chris reminded me what we were going to fight. Jacques Columbo didn't though.

"Well maybe you should come with us anyway. There could be another attack on the town up ahead. Just as Mother always says, 'It is better to catch nasty goblins by surprise than to leave the frosting in the freezer.' Cookie?" Jacques Columbo says with an outstretched hand holding another cookie.

Hypophrygian
2011-02-10, 08:13 PM
The Preacher

"No, thank you friend. I must press on to your village. I assure you, should the village come under attack I will be quite safe. I have not travelled all these years without a few tricks, after all.

Now, what sorts of temples might they have in your village?"

It's a good idea to at least try a diplomacy check if you're trying to convince someone to do something.

Mr Two Blocks
2011-02-11, 01:51 PM
Essemar

Speaking up for the first time, Essemar's voice carries an uncharacteristic, yet slight, hint of worry. "What kind of tricks? Anything that might help against orcs?"

Hypophrygian
2011-02-11, 06:22 PM
The Preacher

The Preacher smiles slightly. "I assure you, it is nothing extraordinary. I have merely picked up certain ways to defend myself. My order teaches a strict code of self-defense, knowing that its missionaries may fall prey to bandits during our travels."

(Something about his demeanor tells you that he's being somewhat disingenuous.)

Necrocution
2011-02-12, 01:32 PM
Serena

Serena lost in thought finally notices The Preacher. "We have but a small temple dedicated to Heironeous. It is not nearly as Grand and Marvelous as it should be but it is a temple nonetheless, being a small town we simply don't have the resources to dedicate to it." Serena states with a sad look upon her face. "Do you have any news from abroad? We're fairly secluded and don't get travelers often."

Hypophrygian
2011-02-12, 03:28 PM
The Preacher

The Preacher's face perks up. "Heironeous! A most interesting deity! That is good news indeed!

"As for news from abroad, I have heard a few things in my travels. Discontent is spreading among the Lower States over the expanding economic power of the Empire. Some have began to call for open rebellion and boycott of Imperial goods. Tell me, is the Empire popular in these outer provinces?"

Crixx
2011-02-13, 12:45 PM
Anthony

Still pacing, Anthony notices that the rest of his group seems to be in conversation with the wanderer. Instead of joining them he stops pacing and yells back to them, "Are we gonna kill some Orcs or what? We don't have time to wait around all day!" He then resumes his pacing.

Hypophrygian
2011-02-14, 05:07 PM
The Preacher

Noticing Anthony's annoyance, the Preacher looks up the road toward Hockett. "I suppose I shouldn't delay you any longer." He bows, performing some sort of ceremonial gesture with his hands. "May the peace of God be with you, and may he grant you rest."

With that, he sets off down the road.

Mr Two Blocks
2011-02-15, 01:29 AM
Essemar

After a second's consideration, Essemar quickly shakes his head, as if to wake himself out of a light sleep. "I suppose Anthony's right. We should go..."

Hypophrygian
2011-02-15, 02:29 PM
As the party continues, they come to a point where the road fords a shallow stream. The stream is familiar to the travelers; further up its course it passes through Hocket. In the bushes near the stream, Essemar and Serena spot a wolf hiding, chewing on a smooth, round piece of wood.

MAP: http://www.pbphud.com/maps/map82600/map.php

The tree tiles represent undergrowth and bushes. The horse is really a wolf (closest they had :smallfrown:). The bright blue tiles are the ford, shallow and relatively easily crossed. The undergrowth and ford count as difficult terrain (2 squares of movement to cross.)

Roll initiatives and place yourselves on the map, on or near the road on the west side.

Achievements coming soon!

Bearclaw
2011-02-15, 04:40 PM
Init = 16+1 = 17
"Stay on the path!"

Crixx
2011-02-15, 06:29 PM
Anthony

Initiative= 7+5 12

Hypophrygian
2011-02-15, 11:53 PM
Initiative Order

I went ahead and made rolls for those that hadn't, just to save us time.

Essemar (17, high dex)
Jaucques (17, low dex)
Anthony (12)
Enemies
Serena

Essemar's turn.

Administrative Note: Achievements

Check it out: http://pbpstuff.blogspot.com/

Mr Two Blocks
2011-02-16, 11:20 AM
Essemar

As he approaches the ford, Essemar's pace slows slightly. "There's a wolf over there in the brush. If we move carefully, it might be too preoccupied with its piece of wood to notice us," he says in a low voice, before attempting to sneak past the beast.
Double move action, from somewhere near the party to where I landed. Move Silently check (d20+6)=25

Bearclaw
2011-02-16, 01:22 PM
"Bam Pow! Death to the wolf!" shouts Jacques Columbo totally blowing Essemar's discrete walking attempt. Then Jacques Columbo points at the wolf and yells "RAH!!!!" as a bolt of energy blasts from his finger. Jacques Columbo staggers backwards because the blast is so powerful.

Standard Action: Magic Missile at the wolf. Damage = 1d4 + 1 = 5

Move action: back one square. Newton's laws of physics still apply to Jacques Columbo

Crixx
2011-02-16, 01:32 PM
Anthony

Anthony moves toward the wolf, but still quite hampered by his wounds from the previous day, before reaching the underbrush he holds his blade defensively in front of him, ready to deflect any incoming attacks.

Move action (Full 30ft)
Standard action: Total defense: +4 to AC until start of next turn.

AC=19 HP=5/11
@Jim
Is it cool to post my hp? If not, I will stop.

Hypophrygian
2011-02-16, 02:35 PM
Wolf

Mr. Wolf drops his stick with a yelp. He had so enjoyed chewing that stick; it was so round and smooth, and the leather wrapped around one end was so distinctively tasty. Such a shame to drop it.

He looks around in anger, trying to find the source of the blow. His eyes land on a large, muscular youth with sword drawn, and Mr. Wolf has found a target for his anger.

MOVE: 5-foot step closer to Anthony
STANDARD: Bite! {22 to hit, 2 damage!}
Trip attempt (automatic): {11, Anthony makes an opposed strength check: 1d20+2=16, trip attempt fails.}

Serena's turn once Anthony makes his check.

Necrocution
2011-02-16, 10:19 PM
Serena
"Stop hurting him!" commands Serena as she jumps in front Jacques waving her arms in front of him in an attempt to break his concentration. Not showing any remorse to the wounded allies limping towards the Wolf to try and secure a kill and some sweet exp.

Move action: Somewhere near the back of the group to (3,10)
Standard action: flailing arms
AZIZ, LIGHT!

Hypophrygian
2011-02-16, 10:38 PM
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

One Round, One Day
- Complete a full round of combat in under 24 hours.
- 10 pts to the full party!

Mr Two Blocks
2011-02-17, 11:04 AM
Essemar

Essemar wishes to delay action until after his computer shows things on the map. Cause right now it doesn't. Will post tonight after work, hopefully...

Hypophrygian
2011-02-17, 03:47 PM
let's call that end of round. Jaycques's turn.

Bearclaw
2011-02-17, 11:23 PM
"Frig-or-ific! A wolf! I need a drink for this!"

Standard action: Ray of frost: 19 vs ranged touch attack. 3 damage!

Minor action: Get out the whiskey!

Crixx
2011-02-17, 11:45 PM
Anthony

Enraged and freshly bleeding, Anthony swings his sycthe at the beast beneath him, hoping to trade wound for wound.

Power attack 1 (+2 damage, -1 attack)
to hit: 1d20+2 13
damage: 2d4+5 8

Ac back to normal, HP= 3/11

Hypophrygian
2011-02-17, 11:57 PM
Mr. Wolf

Mr. Wolf falls to the ground, bleeding and unconscious.

VICTORY!

75 XP each.LOL, CR 1's die easy. Also, Chris, stop being so damned effective.

Crixx
2011-02-18, 08:45 AM
Anthony

Staggering from the force of his own blow, Anthony falls to his knees. He clutches at wounds from the day before and tries to ignore the throbbing in his leg from the fresh bite. Though it is a struggle for him to admit it he says, "Friends, I am in no condition to fight orcs. They would pull me to pieces if I tried to fight them now."

Necrocution
2011-02-20, 02:01 PM
Serena

"You deserve every wound you sustained, beating on a helpless animal like that." Spits Serena moving over to the group of grown men standing around a single wolf. "If you do it again I won't fix you." She turns to the wolf first and stabilizes it, knowing that it will be alright in a few days. She then turns to the "Victors" and and places her hands on Anthonys leg.

Cure minor on the Wolf: 1
Cure light wounds on Anthony:5+1=6

Crixx
2011-02-21, 11:24 AM
Anthony

Abashed and embarrassed Anthony stands, cheeks blushed heavily red. He mutters a thank you and moves back to the path, ready to continue toward the orc menace.

SpaceHamster15
2011-02-21, 04:08 PM
Don Ferdinand

From the far side of the stream, a slow and deliberate clip-clop becomes audible. Emerging from the trees, tangled and muddy, stumbles a skinny, old knight in rusty armor, leading a scrawny, mottled pony burdened with supplies, alongside of which walks a squat, young halfling.

The trio takes a moment to brush off the debris of the bush, then notices the other four figures only after they move as if to ford the stream. They halt, studying the other party.

The old knight steps ahead of the other two, straightens up, clasps a gauntlet on the hilt of his sword, and shouts assertively over the babbling water, "Haalllooo! Declare yourselves, strangers!"

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=275797

Iudex
2011-02-21, 04:41 PM
Somnio Ingavus

A loud voice pipes up from the small creature next to the paladin. "Fear not Ferdinand, I know these travelers, they are esteemed citizens of Hocket." The halfling steps forward to make himself more visible. "Lords and Lady, it is I, Somnio Ingavus, come to once again lay eyes on his home and aid in its defense."

Crixx
2011-02-21, 06:31 PM
Anthony

Surprised by the new arrivals Anthony's hands went immediately for his weapon, but during their speech he relaxes. He lets the air between the two groups settle, and then speaks. "It has been some time Somnio since you have been in Hocket, but it appears we could use your help again. Ferdinand is it? I am sorry that we cannot afford better introductions at the moment, but we are on the way to attack an orc menace that has begun to plague our town. I am Anthony."

Hypophrygian
2011-02-21, 06:49 PM
BTW, we picked up two new players! Welcome Zach and Matt to the group! They are awesome. For reals.

SpaceHamster15
2011-02-21, 07:56 PM
Don Ferdinand

Ferdinand shouts his reply with only a hint of hoarseness over the gurgling stream.

"Well met, Anthony. We ourselves are two days out of nearby Legerio towards a similar end. It may be that our patrons' troubles are borne of the same wicked source. Perhaps both villages would be better served if we sought out their aggressors together?"

Bearclaw
2011-02-22, 10:27 AM
"I am Jacques Columbo" Jacques Columbo says putting great emphasis on his name. He tries to stand a few inches taller. "You seem like well mannered people. Perhaps you would like a cookie." Jacques Columbo reaches into his pack but finds NO COOKIES! "BLAST! I must have given them all away. But can we still be friends? I promise I will have more cookies when we get back to Hocket. We can feast on the chocolate chips and snickerdoodles and..." Jacques Columbo drifts off into a list of various cookie types and sizes seemingly to have forgotten about the new people.

Mr Two Blocks
2011-02-22, 12:35 PM
Essemar

Essemar eyes the pair for a moment or two, taking stock of them (and their possessions). "Well then, I guess that settles it. Welcome aboard, Grandfather!" he remarks with a smirk.

Hypophrygian
2011-02-22, 12:56 PM
Ferdinand:

You spot a glint of metal lying on the bank as you ford the stream.

SpaceHamster15
2011-02-22, 01:01 PM
Don Ferdinand

Ferdinand spies an object in the water around his feet, and stoops slowly to retrieve it.

I grab it and check it out!

Hypophrygian
2011-02-22, 02:05 PM
The object Ferdinand found is a roughly-hewn iron axe head. There is a round socket for a handle, but the handle itself appears to have fallen out.

It is slightly stained by mud, and also bears some dark red stains, which may be blood.

Iudex
2011-02-22, 02:42 PM
I would like to make a check to figure out the origin/maker of the axe head.
What sort of roll should I make?

Bearclaw
2011-02-22, 03:03 PM
Jacques Columbo goes over to where the wolf first was and looks for the thing it was chewing on.

17 on search

SpaceHamster15
2011-02-23, 12:11 AM
Don Ferdinand searches the bank and the streambed for other such artifacts or signs of how they came to be here.

Search: 5 :(

Hypophrygian
2011-02-24, 12:54 AM
Don Ferdinand finds a deep footprint in the mud of the streambank, apparently made by a human--or orc--sized boot.

Jaucques examines the wolf's stick--it appears to be the handle of some sort of tool, possibly an axe. It is a worked round wooded stick, with a bit of leather wrapped around the end to form a grip. Nearby, he finds a small purse which has spilled on the ground, apparently dropped by a passing traveller. It contains 52 gold pieces and 662 silver.

Matt, let's call that a Craft (weaponsmithing) or Appraise check.

Hey guys, sorry about the unusually long delay. For some reason I didn't get my usual notification when you guys posted, and I hadn't manually checked the forum until just now. Unfortunately, the next few days are extraordinarily busy for me--16 hours of class tomorrow, and a saxophone conference friday and saturday--but I'll try to update as much as I can.

Iudex
2011-02-24, 11:31 AM
Appraise: 12

Bearclaw
2011-02-24, 12:23 PM
"WOOP!" Jacques Columbo shouts in joy when he spies the money. Quickly he jumps back on the path. "30 seconds off, 30 minutes on. 30 seconds off, 30 minutes on." he mutters when he gets back on the path while furiously wiping the dirt from his shoes. Then Jacques Columbo points his finger at the axe handle and magically guides it over to Don Ferdinand. "Perhaps you will accept this as a token of friendship when cookies are scarce." he says to Don Ferdinand.

assuming Don Ferdinand takes the handle

Jacques Columbo then scoops up the gold and silver from the muddy stream. "I have some money now! Everyone gets 8 gold and 110 silver! There is an extra 2 gold and 4 silver so who ever cleans the money gets the extra." Jacques Columbo then suspends the money in the middle of the group waiting for someone to clean it.

Used Mage Hand.

SpaceHamster15
2011-02-24, 01:29 PM
It seems to Don Ferdinand that cleaning hundreds of coins, if necessary, is a task best done magically, and so leaves the arcanist to do as he will with them.

Meanwhile, he tests different ways of rejoining the axe head and handle. "I am no expert tracker, but perhaps we can use these pieces and this bootprint to judge where we might find their owner."

Craft (Weaponsmithing) if necessary to put the axe back together: 12

Aid Another towards the survival check of whoever asserts themselves as a better tracker: 3+1 = 4 (more sadface...)

Bearclaw
2011-02-24, 01:47 PM
"I track and hunt bear back home. Perhaps I can be of assistance." Jacques Columbo comes over to the tracks but is not entirely focused on the task at hand. His boots still show dirt.

Survival to follow the tracks 3+3 = 6

*Updated with Zach's post*

SpaceHamster15
2011-02-24, 02:18 PM
The way Aid Another works is that if I get 10 or higher on my check, you get a +2 to your check. But since I only got 4 since lolwut Paladin skills, I wasn't able to help you any. If we just added our results together, it'd be easy to get ridiculous numbers.

Crixx
2011-02-24, 02:30 PM
Anthony

Taking his money from the floating pile without cleaning it, Anthony looks to the others silently for a moment. When they begin staring at the ground he becomes frustrated and speaks. "What are you doing? Who cares wherever the person who owned this ax is. We should be more concerned with the small horde of orcs we are on our way to kill. In fact, we could probably be slaughtering them right now. Why all the fuss over an ax?"

Iudex
2011-02-24, 05:04 PM
Somnio

"Perhaps the axe is of orc design. If we can find a trail we may be able to follow it straight to them. It's always worthwhile to have some info on the enemy. For all we know there could be hundreds, maybe even thousands of orcs waiting for us." A panicked look spreads across Somnio's face as he begins to sway back and forth in a worried manner.

Hypophrygian
2011-02-24, 06:37 PM
The axe is indeed orcish, and as Ferdinand puts the handle into the axe (it promptly falls out, the gnaw-marks on the end rendering it too small to fit), the party from Hockett recognizes it as being markedly similar to the axes wielded by the orcs that attacked them the previous night.

Meanwhile, Jaucques discovers a set of clear, obvious tracks in the mud. They seem to have been left by a large party of armored humanoids, and they follow the edge of the stream. They originate somewhere upstream, and once they intersect the path they disappear, suggesting that from there the party turned to follow the path.

LOL. You're level one; the Survival DC was only 4. I'm saving harder skill checks for when failure kills you.

Crixx
2011-02-25, 09:27 AM
Anthony

Noticing that the tracks lead to the path says, "You see? We could have just kept going the way we were, these prints lead onto this path. Let's go kill some orc"

Unless I misunderstand the description (which is possible). I rolled a 17 on my spot check to notice the tracks that others were looking at.

Mr Two Blocks
2011-02-25, 10:23 AM
Essemar

Taking his share of coin, Essemar turns towards Somnio. "You really think there's gonna be that many? This is going to be quick, easy money. Now, let's get moving." He shoots a glance at Anthony, letting him know it's time to move on.

Iudex
2011-02-25, 11:37 AM
Somnio

"Should we not follow the tracks to the source? These could be the tracks of the orcs that attack the town. If they came down from the hills to this path, then they just would have followed it to Hocket. If we follow the tracks it may show us where the orcs are coming from."

Crixx
2011-02-25, 12:21 PM
Anthony

Realizing to his chagrin that he was not thinking clearly, Anthony blushes and tries to hide his mistake with speech and action. "Yes! What a wonderful plan. We shall go straight down the river following the tracks and hit them by surprise!" With this Anthony begins to walk beside the river.

Bearclaw
2011-02-25, 01:05 PM
Jacques Columbo remains standing making the money hover around. Seeing that nobody wants to clean the money, he guides the money into the stream/river in the hope that the water would gently wash the money clean without stripping it from his Mage Hand.

How clean is my money?

SpaceHamster15
2011-02-25, 06:10 PM
Don Ferdinand follows Anthony, dragging his pony behind him.

Hypophrygian
2011-02-25, 11:58 PM
Jaucques's money does in fact come clean in the river, but 54 of his silver coins wash downstream in the process.

Serena's share of the money poofs into her pocket, due to lack of her posting.

The party travels downstream, toward the origin of the tracks (my previous description notwithstanding--they came from downstream, not up, really).

After another mile or so, the river--and the tracks--terminate suddenly. A great black pit lies before the party, which the river cascades down into. Signs near the edge of the pit suggest that the orcs somehow scaled the wall of the pit.

Map, if anyone is curious: http://www.pbphud.com/maps/map82600/map.php

SpaceHamster15
2011-02-26, 02:13 AM
Don Ferdinand stops to listen for any sounds coming from the pit, and then very carefully peeks over the edge to judge its depth.

Listen: 10 + 1 = 11

Spot if necessary: 2 + 1 = 3

Crixx
2011-02-26, 11:02 AM
Anthony

Waiting on Ferdinand to check out the pit, Anthony keeps a wary eye on their surroundings, keeping ready for a surprise orc ambush. After what Somnio said, he thinks it wise to be a bit more cautious.

Hypophrygian
2011-02-26, 12:10 PM
Ferdinand hears nothing over the sound of the waterfall. He can dimly see a pool of water at the bottom of the pit, about twenty feet down.

Anthony notices nothing other than the rustling of trees in the wind.

Iudex
2011-02-26, 01:11 PM
Somnio searches for the best possible way to travel down.

14+1= 15 on search

Hypophrygian
2011-02-26, 09:28 PM
The cliff walls appear to be uniformly rough, with no particular area being more accessible to climbers.

Crixx
2011-02-27, 12:45 PM
Anthony

Frustrated with the absence of an enemy to fight, Anthony looks down the hole with the others and asks, "Does anybody have any rope?"

SpaceHamster15
2011-02-27, 01:05 PM
Don Ferdinand peers down the hole and sighs resignedly. "Well, this pit seems to be where the creatures are spawning from. If we're to put a stop to it, we'll have to descend, and carefully."

He kicks some gravel over the edge. "Not only are these walls treacherous, but I would expect some manner of crude traps as well, aside from any guards the beasts have posted."

He gestures toward his pony, "Opal here is carrying a length of old rope. We could fix an end to a nearby tree and use that to rappel down, unless one of you has a safer suggestion."

Mr Two Blocks
2011-02-27, 04:03 PM
Essemar

"Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of supplies. Climbing might be our best bet. You sure you can manage, Grandpa?" Essemar gestures over to Opal. "I can get that rope tied, if you wish."

SpaceHamster15
2011-02-28, 01:45 AM
Don Ferdinand loosens the rope from the pony's accoutrements and tosses it with one heavy mailed arm over to Essemar, whose taunts he receives with more amusement than indignation.

Mr Two Blocks
2011-02-28, 10:41 PM
Essemar

Essemar catches the rope, and laughs quietly to himself. "So, who's the lucky one to test my knot first?" he asks, as he ties the rope around a nearby tree.

Use Rope check (d20+4)= 7 around tree at (17,9)
Well hell

Crixx
2011-02-28, 11:16 PM
Anthony

Tired of waiting around without action, Anthony throws the other end of the rope down into the pit. He gives it a hearty tug.

Strength Check: (19+2) 21
If the rope holds begin to climb down Climb Check: (16+4) 20
If the rope does not hold, He looks dumbly at the rope, then back to Essemar, then back to the rope. Then he waits for the rope to be tied again.

Hypophrygian
2011-03-01, 07:36 AM
Essemar's knot falls limply from around the tree with Anthony's pull.

sadtuba.com (http://sadtuba.com)

Mr Two Blocks
2011-03-01, 11:34 AM
Essemar

Essemar clears his throat, and scratches the back of his neck, embarrassed. He then picks up the rope, and reties it to the tree.

Use Rope (d20+4)= 21

Crixx
2011-03-01, 11:55 AM
Anthony

Anthony gives the rope a rough yank and then begins to descend into the pit. He is smiling.

Strength check (17+2) 19
Climb Check (for half speed not quarter speed): (1+4) 5

Gorram it. Why did I try to go fast?

Hypophrygian
2011-03-01, 12:10 PM
The knots holds fast, but sadly, Anthony does not. He falls into the water below, taking no damage but becoming immersed in the deep pool of water.

Time for some swim checks.

Iudex
2011-03-01, 01:51 PM
Somnio peers over the edge of the pit to stare at Anthony. "How deep is the water? Are there any sharks?"

Hypophrygian
2011-03-01, 02:14 PM
Anthony cannot see how deep it is, due to the dim light and murky water. But it is certainly deeper than he is tall. He can see a small, dark figure approaching his legs in the water.

I'll update the map tonight. Initiatives are probably good.

Necrocution
2011-03-01, 02:46 PM
Serena

Serena stands there and watches the epic clash of man and gravity play out until suddenly she notices a two figures out of the corner of her eye "WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE AND WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING US!?" She yelps in a panicky voice. She faces herself so that she might best have both Don Ferdinand and Somnio in sight, raises her shield and hunches over trying to hide as much of herself as she can with her shield. "Where are we? How did we get here? Where is the wolf? Why is there a pony? Why are we here? What's with the hole?" she hastily spits out, her whip hanging limp in her right and ready to strike at the first thing to startle her more.

init: 15+2=17

Hypophrygian
2011-03-01, 05:57 PM
The map has now been updated. After 10' of drop, the pit opens up on an underground chamber, shown on the right of the map. Anthony sits in the water. The spider is actually whatever aquatic creature he's facing. The squares marked A on each map correspond to each other.

Zach and Matt, you can decide which of you is which figure, but I think it makes the most sense for Zach to be the one in armor, as he is the Paladin.

http://www.pbphud.com/maps/map82600/map.php

Crixx
2011-03-01, 06:18 PM
Anthony
Swim Check: (15+2) 17

Anthony yells out "Its deep, and there's something in here with me!"

Init: (14+5) 19

SpaceHamster15
2011-03-01, 06:32 PM
Don Ferdinand ignores his frustration with the brash young warrior's heedlessness, preoccupied instead with the attention he might have drawn by entering the orcs' pit so clumsily. He rushes to the edge of the hole and scans the area near Anthony for danger.

Init 12

Detect Evil on the water around Anthony.

Hypophrygian
2011-03-01, 06:36 PM
Don Ferdinand:

Whatever the creature near Anthony is, it has no aura of evil about it.

Iudex
2011-03-01, 09:29 PM
Somnio
"Don't worry Anthony, I'll save you!"
Eager to help his friend, Somnio jumps into the pit.

Init: 20

Tumble check: 19

I'll go ahead and make a swim check as well: 16

I'll be the blue guy with the staff.

Mr Two Blocks
2011-03-02, 03:32 PM
Essemar

Essemar can't help but chuckle, under his breath, at Anthony's spectacular plunge. He grasps the rope firmly, and attempts to climb into the pit.

Init: (d20+4)= 15
Climb: (d20+1)= 2

What the hell, mang

Hypophrygian
2011-03-02, 03:38 PM
Essemar falls, laughing haughtily, into the pit, landing smack on top of Anthony, bruising them both.

1d6=1 crushing damage to Anthony.
2d6=6 falling damage to Essemar.

Bearclaw
2011-03-03, 11:02 AM
Init = 14.

Sorry...sometimes my computer does not let me post :(

Hypophrygian
2011-03-03, 02:01 PM
The form becomes clearer and it is evident that it is an octopus, disturbed by Anthony's hasty entrance to its pool. It slaps ineffectually at Anthony's leg with a tentacle.

Melee attack, {10--Miss}

Initiative order: Somnio
Anthony
Serena
Essemar
Jaucques
Ferdinand
Octopus

Initiative begins--Somnio's Turn.

Iudex
2011-03-03, 03:06 PM
Somnio

Somnio swims up to the octopus and attempts to grab it with his Shocking Grasp.

Swim Check:10

Touch Attack: 12-1= 11
(extra bonus for being in aquatic environment?)

idk if a concentration check is necessary here, but here's one anyway:
Concentration check: 14+6=20

Damage: 3(1d6)= 3 electricity damage

Crixx
2011-03-03, 03:29 PM
Anthony

Anthony swims up to the octopus, surprised at its presence, and takes a full bodied swing with his head under the water.
So swim check: 16+2 18 to move five feet in the water.
I then make a normal attack roll at -2 to hit b/c of slashing weapon, but no extra AC for octopus b/c he swings from underwater.

To hit: (18-2+3)= 19
Damage: (2d4+3)/2 4

Hypophrygian
2011-03-03, 05:34 PM
Anthony's blade bites satisfyingly into the octopus's body, darkening the water with its blood.

Somnio misses the octopus with his grasp, but the electricity crackles along the water in unexpected ways. Somnio's hand clenches as the voltage hits him.

Somnio takes 2 electricity damage.

ELECTRICITY UNDERWATER (House rule)
Electricity based spells and attacks function differently underwater due to water's conductive properties. Rather than functioning in the shape they are designed to, all electricity spells become area-of-effect spells centered on the caster with radius equal to one square per caster level. All creatures within the effect of the spell must make reflex saves (against the caster's spell-save DC) or take half damage, rounded up (the damage of these spells is automatically reduced underwater). The caster automatically fails the save. If the radius of the spell is one, the caster may make a touch attack to inflict the spell's effect on a target outside the radius.

Necrocution
2011-03-04, 12:55 PM
Serena
Hearing some action start to brew in the cavern below Serena begins to move her way down into the fray.

Move: 18,7 to 17,9
Climb: 6+2=8

Hypophrygian
2011-03-05, 01:31 PM
Essemar

Essemar, rendered unconscious from his fall, bobs facedown in the water.

Essemar will drown in 2 rounds.

Jaucques's turn.

Bearclaw
2011-03-05, 02:02 PM
Jacques Columbo gazes into the water and studies the octopus. "An 8 legged well-beast" Jacques Columbo thinks. "It must not hurt my friends!" Then yelling he says, "Don't worry friends! I will make sure it doesn't drown you!"

True sight on the 'pus.

Hypophrygian
2011-03-05, 02:09 PM
Jaucques can see the octopus very well. Well enough, in fact, to know for certain that it is absolutely just a plain old octopus.

Ferdinand's Turn.

SpaceHamster15
2011-03-05, 02:56 PM
Ferdinand knows he is in no condition to leap into the water like the others; his armor would drag him to the bottom of the pool. Instead, he urgently follows the priestess down the rope, hoping to be able to reach the others without entering the water.

Standard Action: Move to 17, 9

I want to ready my move action, climbing down the rope, with the trigger of the cleric moving such that I have at least 5 feet to climb down, since she seems to be right at the top of the pit at the moment.

Hypophrygian
2011-03-05, 05:23 PM
Got it. Works for me.

Octopus

Alarmed by Somnio's approach and subsequent electrocution, the octopus lashes at him with its tentacles, but is no more effective than it was against Anthony. It emits a cloud of dark black ink into the water, concealing its location as it moves away from the group.

Standard: {Attack: 11=MISS}
Free: Ink (inked squares are marked as "invisible" on the map. Ink does not effect Jaucque's due to True Seeing.
Move: It moved somewhere!

Somnio's Turn.

Bearclaw
2011-03-05, 06:00 PM
Can I tell my friends where it is?

Hypophrygian
2011-03-05, 06:05 PM
Yes. It swam down beneath the cloud, and is floating 10 feet directly below Anthony.

Bearclaw
2011-03-05, 09:53 PM
"Beneath you, Anthony!"

Iudex
2011-03-05, 10:59 PM
Somnio

Failing in his attack, Somnio decides to direct his actions elsewhere. Seeing Essemar face-down in the water, Somnio hurries over and attempts to flip him over.

Swim check: 17

Strength check to flip him over?: 13

Hypophrygian
2011-03-06, 12:03 AM
Essemar rolls over in the water, but still floats limply. Without Somnio's support, his head would certainly loll under the surface.

Anthony's Turn

Crixx
2011-03-06, 04:37 PM
Anthony

Hearing Jacques yell the position of the beast, Anthony (not willing to swing at the darkness) attempts to swim toward a wall, hoping to find solid footing near the side of this underwater cavern.

Swim Check: (3+2) 5
I think I don't move. Let me know if I am like, drowning or something.

Hypophrygian
2011-03-06, 09:25 PM
Anthony:
Correct. You don't move, but neither are you drowning.

Serena's Turn.

Necrocution
2011-03-06, 10:45 PM
Serena

Serena scuttles down the rope and into the fray, prepared to bring justice to whatever it is waiting for her at the bottom of the pit. "WARGLARGLRG!" she exhales as water fills her mouth.

Climb:20-2=18
Swim check:5-2=3

Hypophrygian
2011-03-07, 08:40 AM
Serena slips underwater and begins holding her breath.
You can hold your breath for a number of rounds equal to your CON score.

Ferdinand follows Serena down the rope.

Essemar's turn.

Hypophrygian
2011-03-07, 04:53 PM
Serena slips underwater and begins holding her breath.
You can hold your breath for a number of rounds equal to your CON score.

Ferdinand follows Serena down the rope.

Essemar's turn.

Bearclaw
2011-03-08, 08:38 AM
Essemar is still KOed, right?

With a red glow of keen hate in his eyes, Jacques points at the 'pus. "Never again" he whispers as a black bolt shoots from his finger.

Ray of enfeeblement:
9+1+20= 30 to hit
5 strength damage

Hypophrygian
2011-03-08, 10:35 AM
Oops, I forgot. Sorry.

Essemar bobs in the water, his head still supported by Somnio.

The octopus seems to have become much weaker after being hit by the spell.

SpaceHamster15
2011-03-08, 02:51 PM
It's the octopus's turn now, correct? I am under the impression that my initiative is now after Serena:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready

Hypophrygian
2011-03-08, 04:45 PM
Hmm. I've always played that it resets at the end of the round, but the rules seem to contradict that... Time for a DM executive decision! Let's go with the rules on this one. So from now on we're going to do it this way. When you delay turn or ready an action, your initiative result changes permanently to the initiative count on which you take the delayed action.

Octopus

The octopus continues to flee, swimming to the bottom of the pool (20 ft down from the surface) and spraying another cloud of ink around itself.

Iudex
2011-03-09, 08:24 PM
Somnio

Swim Check: 14

Strength check to continue holding up Essemar: 10

Crixx
2011-03-09, 11:19 PM
Anthony

Anthony swims to the wall and waits for the ink to clear.

Swim Check: (1d20+2) 11"waits for ink to clear is only flavor-text, not a delayed action. Is there more solid footing next to the wall?

Hypophrygian
2011-03-11, 12:34 AM
Yes, there absolutely is more solid footing there.

Serena's Turn.

Necrocution
2011-03-11, 11:08 PM
Serena

"IMA GET MUH FINGERS ON YOU!" shouts Serena as she grabs for essemer

Cure Light:3+1=4

Bearclaw
2011-03-12, 08:06 AM
Jacques Columbo tries to shake some pain out from his weary fingers. "My fingers can't take anymore magic shooting out from them" he shouts down the well. Then he takes out his flask and takes a few quick swigs of whiskey.

Hypophrygian
2011-03-12, 11:15 AM
Exactly how many is a few?

Bearclaw
2011-03-12, 11:25 AM
I'll time myself to see how many I can do in 6 seconds when I get back to school. But for now, let's call it 2.5.

Hypophrygian
2011-03-12, 12:11 PM
Okay. I've got rules for drunkenness, so we get to keep track of exactly how much you've had.

SpaceHamster15
2011-03-12, 09:55 PM
Don Ferdinand continues to rappel down carefully.

Climb: 17 (+3, -6 armor check pen) = 14

Hypophrygian
2011-03-13, 01:23 AM
Don Ferdinand moves to 5 feet above the surface of the water, and sees that he can swing the rope to deliver himself to dry land with a short jump.

We skipped Essemar's turn (he's after Serena still). He's going to go next just for this round and then resume posting in his normal initiative position.

Mr Two Blocks
2011-03-13, 03:11 PM
Essemar

Essemar pops suddenly back into consciousness, coughing and sputtering. Realizing he is in the water, he tries to stabilize himself, and catch a glimpse of the beast from the depths.

Swim Check (d20+1)= 13
Spot Check, to try to locate the octopus, (d20+6)= 10

Hypophrygian
2011-03-13, 04:23 PM
Essemar steadies himself in the water, but cannot see the octopus as it swims.

Octopus

The cloud of ink at the bottom of the pool grows slightly, further obscuring vision at the bottom of the pool.

Jaucques:
The octopus has wrapped itself around a small chest in the corner of the bottom of the pool, and is making no move to leave its spot.

Everyone:
Here is the initiative order as it now stands:
Somnio
Anthony
Serena
Ferdinand
Essemar
Jaucques
Octopus

Please remember to post at your appropriate moment (except when taking free actions to speak) and update and SAVE the map when your character moves. The black on the map indicates the ink cloud, and the spider still represents the octopus's location.

Somnio's Turn.