PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Craft System

MrLich
2010-11-06, 09:41 PM
Ok since I got no response on the roleplaying forums I figure I need to homebrew a system to fit what I want.

I'm looking for a craft system that has no xp cost. My idea is to use the craft point system (UA) and pay 3, 5, or 10 craft points per xp cost.

What do you think playgrounders? Or is there a system already around that I'm unaware of?

Edit: I got a response about using gold for xp but ideally I'd rather use my abundance of craft points if I could determine a reasonable craft point to xp ratio.

Kurtmuran
2010-11-07, 12:58 AM
Ok since I got no response on the roleplaying forums I figure I need to homebrew a system to fit what I want.

I'm looking for a craft system that has no xp cost. My idea is to use the craft point system (UA) and pay 3, 5, or 10 craft points per xp cost.

What do you think playgrounders? Or is there a system already around that I'm unaware of?

Edit: I got a response about using gold for xp but ideally I'd rather use my abundance of craft points if I could determine a reasonable craft point to xp ratio.

in a d&d book called unearthed arcana have an altern craf sistem ho use points you may want to check up

Fizban
2010-11-07, 01:54 AM
I'm surprised no one suggested just nixing the xp cost altogether. Even if you manage to fall a level behind the party from xp spent crafting, the encounters you face while underleveled will give you extra xp to make up for it. If you spend a whole session or more gaining extra xp like that, it's entirely possible to slingshot past the rest of the party and end up with more xp, even if you've been crafting constantly, so it's hardly even a cost at all.

Milskidasith
2010-11-07, 12:47 PM
I'm surprised no one suggested just nixing the xp cost altogether. Even if you manage to fall a level behind the party from xp spent crafting, the encounters you face while underleveled will give you extra xp to make up for it. If you spend a whole session or more gaining extra xp like that, it's entirely possible to slingshot past the rest of the party and end up with more xp, even if you've been crafting constantly, so it's hardly even a cost at all.

Slingshotting past the party is mathematically impossible.

Fizban
2010-11-07, 03:30 PM
If you gain experience immediately after every encounter and level up mid-session, yes. If you don't level up until the end of the session, or even worse, until the end of the adventure when you return to town, then it is possible. If the rest of the party levels up with 500xp to spare, but you recently crafted 1,000xp worth of items, you'll be 500xp away from levelling up. Let's say this happened such that you are 9th level and the rest of the party is 10th. Next session you fight 4 CR 10 encounters, and the rest of the group gains 3,000xp, but you instead gain 4,050xp. You are now 50xp ahead. If the session went longer and you fought 5 encounters, you would be 1,100xp ahead.

Milskidasith
2010-11-07, 04:17 PM
If you gain experience immediately after every encounter and level up mid-session, yes. If you don't level up until the end of the session, or even worse, until the end of the adventure when you return to town, then it is possible. If the rest of the party levels up with 500xp to spare, but you recently crafted 1,000xp worth of items, you'll be 500xp away from levelling up. Let's say this happened such that you are 9th level and the rest of the party is 10th. Next session you fight 4 CR 10 encounters, and the rest of the group gains 3,000xp, but you instead gain 4,050xp. You are now 50xp ahead. If the session went longer and you fought 5 encounters, you would be 1,100xp ahead.

This assumes you get extra EXP after already leveling up, which makes no sense at all. Once you've got enough EXP to level up, you should, y'know, level up.

lesser_minion
2010-11-07, 05:13 PM
This assumes you get extra EXP after already leveling up, which makes no sense at all. Once you've got enough EXP to level up, you should, y'know, level up.

I can see where he's coming from.

The DMG suggests that experience only be awarded at the end of a session -- which could mean that the DM works out how much experience to award when you beat an encounter, keeps a note of it, and gives it out at the end of the session.

It's certainly not 'mandatory' to handle it that way, however, so if it ever did cause that kind of problem, I'd put it down to a DM error, not a flaw in the system.

MrLich
2010-11-08, 03:53 PM
So... no thoughts on my dilemma?

Except for fizban. My dm already said she wants there to be some other cost just no xp.

lesser_minion
2010-11-08, 04:29 PM
You might be able to get away with not worrying about it -- earn Craft Points as indicated on the table (100 craft points per level), and spend them when you make a magic item, at the rate indicated (1 craft point per 10gp of item price).

Additional costs for any spells you've had to use should be handled the same way as your DM wants to handle XP for spells, not with craft points.

In case you're wondering, this works out as 1 xp == 2.5 craft points.

That assumes you've just introduced craft points for the sole purpose of limiting magic item crafting, however -- if you're using the variant for what it was intended (to allow crafting when characters don't have much downtime), then you'd need another solution. The easiest way to address that might be to use power components, but use the variant where they aren't available for purchase.

MrLich
2010-11-08, 05:56 PM
You might be able to get away with not worrying about it -- earn Craft Points as indicated on the table (100 craft points per level), and spend them when you make a magic item, at the rate indicated (1 craft point per 10gp of item price).

Additional costs for any spells you've had to use should be handled the same way as your DM wants to handle XP for spells, not with craft points.

In case you're wondering, this works out as 1 xp == 2.5 craft points.

That assumes you've just introduced craft points for the sole purpose of limiting magic item crafting, however -- if you're using the variant for what it was intended (to allow crafting when characters don't have much downtime), then you'd need another solution. The easiest way to address that might be to use power components, but use the variant where they aren't available for purchase.

Yea it was for the quick craft time. Where is this power components stuff?

lesser_minion
2010-11-08, 06:00 PM
Yea it was for the quick craft time. Where is this power components stuff?

It should be somewhere in the DMG.

Basically, instead of paying XP for items and spells, you have to obtain rare material components instead.

There are two versions -- in the first, you can buy the components for 10gp per XP you'd have spent otherwise, and in the second, you actually have to quest for the things.