PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Diablo 2 Monster Templates (PEACH)

Ernir
2010-11-07, 01:31 PM
(If you are playing in my D2/D&D game, stay out! Until you succeed on your knowledge checks, anyway.)

The game Diablo 2 has a smattering of "templates" that can be applied to give any monster a specific theme. I'm looking for some feedback on how balanced these are, with regards to CR.

I did not have in mind allowing these for players, but if you have thoughts regarding that, please share. :smallsmile:

First, there is a new subtype. Any creature that gets one of the following templates acquires this subtype.

Boss Subtype
Bosses are powerful members of their race, not subject to a few of the limitations that plague their lesser cousins.

Immunity to possession, Enchantment [Compulsion] effects, and Enchantment [Charm] effects.
Immunity to Fear.
Immunity to Death effects.
Can use the Elite Array to modify its ability scores.
Gains maximum hit points for each hit die.

And then there are the actual templates. Please criticize!

Lightning Enhanced

Type:
A Lightning Enhanced creature gains the "boss" subtype.

Special Attacks:

Lightning-enhanced Attacks (Su): All of the creature's attacks with natural weapons, or manufactured weapons made of metal deal 1d6 points of electricity damage on a successful hit, in addition to their normal damage.
Lightning Retribution (Su): Whenever a Lightning Enhanced creature is dealt 5 or more points of damage, all enemies within a 30' radius burst immediately take 1d6 points of electricity damage per 3 HD the Lightning Enhanced creature has, minimum 1 (1d6 points at first HD, 2d6 at 3rd, 3d6 at 6th, 4d6 at 9th, and so on). A successful reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Lightning Enhanced creature's HD + the Lightning Enhanced creature's Charisma modifier) halves this damage.

Special Qualities:
A Lightning-Enhanced creature gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against spells with the [Electricity] descriptor, and resistance to electricity equal to 5 + the Lightning-Enhanced Creature's HD. At 10th HD, the resistance is replaced with immunity to electricity.

Challenge Rating:
Same as the base creature, +2.

Fire Enhanced

Type:
A Fire Enhanced creature gains the "boss" subtype.

Special Attacks:

Fire-enhanced Attacks (Su): All of the creature's attacks with natural weapons, or manufactured weapons made of metal deal 1d6 points of fire damage on a successful hit, in addition to their normal damage.
Death Throes (Su): When a Fire Enhanced creature dies, all creatures within a 60' radius burst immediately take 1d6 points of fire damage per HD the Fire Enhanced creature had. A successful reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Fire Enhanced creature's HD + the Fire Enhanced creature's Constitution modifier) halves this damage.

Special Qualities:
A Fire-Enhanced creature gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against spells with the [Fire] descriptor, and resistance to fire equal to 5 + the Fire-Enhanced Creature's HD. At 10th HD, the resistance is replaced with immunity to fire.

Challenge Rating:
Same as the base creature, +1.

Cold Enhanced

Type:
A Cold Enhanced creature gains the "boss" subtype.

Special Attacks:

Cold-enhanced Attacks (Su): All of the creature's attacks with natural weapons, or manufactured weapons made of metal deal 1d6 points of cold damage on a successful hit, in addition to their normal damage.

A creature who takes this cold damage from the Cold Enhanced creature's attacks must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Cold Enhanced creature's HD + the Cold Enhanced creature's Charisma modifier) or be affected as if by a Slow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/slow.htm) spell for 1 round.
Death Throes (Su): When a Cold Enhanced creature dies, all creatures within a 30' radius burst immediately take 1d6 points of cold damage per 2 HD the Cold Enhanced creature had, minimum 1 (1d6 points at first HD, 2d6 at 2nd HD, 3d6 at 4th HD, and so on.), and are subjected to a Slow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/slow.htm) effect for a number of rounds equal to the Cold Enhanced creature's HD. A successful reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Cold Enhanced creature's HD + the Cold Enhanced creature's Constitution modifier) halves this damage and negates the Slow effect.

Special Qualities:
A Cold-Enhanced creature gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against spells with the [Cold] descriptor, and resistance to coldequal to 5 + the Cold-Enhanced Creature's HD. At 10th HD, the resistance is replaced with immunity to cold.

Challenge Rating:

Cursed

Type:
A Cursed creature gains the "boss" subtype.

Special Attacks:

Cursed Touch (Su): Whenever a Cursed creature lands a successful melee or ranged attack against another creature, the target must make a Will saving throw (DC + 1/2 the Cursed creature's HD + the Cursed creature's Charisma modifier) or be affected by a curse. This curse functions as a Bestow Curse (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bestowCurse.htm) spell, but its duration is only 1 round per HD of the Cursed creature.

Challenge Rating:

Extra Fast

Type:
An Extra Fast creature gains the "boss" subtype.

Special Qualities:

Fast (Su): An Extra Fast creature is constantly under a Haste (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/haste.htm) effect, as the spell.

Feats:
An Extra Fast creature gains Spring Attack and Whirlwind Attack as bonus feats, even if it does not meet the prerequisites.

Challenge Rating:

Magic Resistant

Type:
A Magic Resistant creature gains the "boss" subtype.

Special Attacks:

Dispel Magic: (Sp) A Magic Resistant creature can use Greater Dispel Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelmagicgreater.htm), at will, as a caster of a level equal to the Magic Resistant creature's HD.

Special Qualities:

Spell Resistance equal to 12 + HD.
The Mettle special ability, as the Hexblade class feature.

Challenge Rating:

Mana Burning

Type:
A Mana Burning creature gains the "boss" subtype.

Special Attacks:

Draining Strike: (Su) Whenever a Mana Burning creature hits another with a melee or ranged attack, the target loses spell slots, power points, and essentia as if it had gained a negative level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#energyDrainAndNegativeLevels) . This "negative level" is not a negative energy effect (and as such, Death Ward and similar protections against Negative Energy do not apply). It never reduces a target's d20 rolls, does not threaten to kill when the accumulated negative levels equal the target's HD, they only affect spells, powers, and soulmelds. The drain lasts for 24 hours.

Special Qualities:

Resistance to fire, cold, electricity, acid and sonic 5. This resistance
increases to 10 at 10th HD.

Challenge Rating:

Multishot

Type:
A Multishot creature gains the "boss" subtype.

Special Attacks:

Multishot (Ex): On each ranged attack that a Multishot creature makes, it may choose an additional number of squares equal to its HD/2 (minimum 1). These squares must be connected (with a full side, corner connections are insufficient) to the square of the target of the attack, or another selected square. The Multishot creature may not select a square out of range of the original ranged attack (or a square whose occupants or otherwise not a valid target). The ranged attack affects all targets in the selected squares.
This special attack can be used with any ranged attack, even ranged touch attacks or spells involving ranged attacks.

Challenge Rating:
Same as the base creature, +1 (Beholder +4).

Stone Skin

Type:
A Stone Skin creature gains the "boss" subtype.

Special Qualities

Hardened Skin (Ex): A Stone Skin creature gains damage reduction overcome by adamantine equal to 5 + the Stone Skin creature's HD, as well as a natural armor bonus equal to its Constitution modifier.

Challenge Rating:

Extra Strong

Type:
An Extra Strong creature gains the "boss" subtype.

Special Qualities
An Extra Strong monster gains the Powerful Build special quality, as the half giant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/halfGiant.htm) racial ability.

Abilities:
Strength +4, Constitution +4.

Challenge Rating:

Spectral Hit

Type:
A Spectral Hit creature gains the "boss" subtype.

Special Attacks:

Prismatic blow (Su): When a Spectral Hit creature makes a successful attack with a natural or manufactured weapon, the target suffers another,
secondary effect, as shown on the table below:
RollEffect
11d6 points of fire damage per 3 HD (minimum 1), reflex half
21d6 points of cold damage per 3 HD (minimum 1), reflex half. Target must make a fort save or be Slowed for 1 round.
31d6 points of electricity damage per 2 HD, reflex half.
4Poison: 1d8 Constitution damage initial and secondary, fortitude negates as normal for poison
5Confused for 1 round, will negates
6Stunned for 1 round, fortitude negates
7Paralyzed for 1 minute, will negates
8Roll again twice
All references to "HD" mean the HD of the Spectral Hit creature, and the saving throw DCs are equal to 10 + 1/2 the Spectral Hit creature's HD + the Spectral Hit creature's Charisma modifier.

Special Qualities:

Resistance to fire, cold, electricity, and acid 5. This resistance increases to 10 at 10th HD.

Challenge Rating:

Champions are not true Bosses, but still more formidable than most of their kind. Champions are usually encountered in groups, such as serving as elite bodyguards for a Boss.

True Champion

Special Qualities:
Elite (Ex): A True Champion can use the Elite Array to modify its ability scores.
Trained (Ex): A True Champion gains a bonus feat. This feat can be any feat for which it qualifies.
Exceptional (Ex): A True Champion of 5 HD or more gains an enhancement bonus to its ability scores. At first, this is a +2 enhancement bonus to one ability score. At 10th level, it gains an extra +2 bonus to that score, and a +2 bonus to another ability score. At 15th level, it gains an extra +2 bonus to those two scores, and a +2 bonus to a third ability score. At 20th level, it gains an extra +2 bonus to those three scores, and a +2 bonus to a fourth ability score.
Resilient (Ex): A True Champion gains a Resistance bonus to its saving throws equal to one-fourth its HD, minimum 1.

Challenge Rating:

Ghostly

Type:
A Ghostly creature gains the incorporeal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#incorporealSubtype) subtype.

Special Attacks:
Numbing touch: A creature struck in melee by a Ghostly creature's attack must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Ghostly creature's HD + the Ghostly creature's Charisma modifier) or be affected as if by a Slow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/slow.htm) spell for 1 round.

Challenge Rating:

Fanatic

Speed:
As base creature, +10 feet to all modes of movement.

Special Qualities:
Inspired (Ex): A Fanatic creature gains a morale bonus to attack and damage rolls as if it were under the influence of Inspire Courage from a Bard of a level equal to the Fanatic creature's HD (+1 at first HD, +2 at 8th HD, +3 at 14th HD, +4 at 20th HD).
Fearless (Ex): A Fanatic creature is immune to Fear.
Beyond death (Ex): A Fanatic creature gains Diehard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#diehard) as a bonus feat, even if it does not meet the prerequisites.

Challenge Rating:

Berserker

Special Attacks:
Dangerous (Ex): A Berserker's weapon attacks deal double damage.

Special Qualities:
Heedless (Ex): A Berserker takes 50% extra damage from weapon attacks.

Challenge Rating:

Possessed:

Abilities:
Strength +4, Charisma -4.

Special Qualities:
Mind not its own: A possessed creature gains immunity to all Mind-Affecting abilities.
Uncaring fortitude: A possessed creature is immune to pain effects, gains maximum hit points for each HD, and gains Improved Toughness as a bonus feat.

Challenge Rating:

hamishspence
2010-11-07, 01:48 PM
While To Hell & Back has its own rules, these do look like quite a nice alternate version. Lightning Enchanted was a lot weaker in To Hell & Back though- it just gave them a little extra (lightning) damage to their attacks.

Ernir
2010-11-08, 09:54 AM
Reading this over... Extra Strong is boring. Multishot is both absolutely bonkers-crazy, and boring. Anyone have ideas?

While To Hell & Back has its own rules, these do look like quite a nice alternate version. Lightning Enchanted was a lot weaker in To Hell & Back though- it just gave them a little extra (lightning) damage to their attacks.

Right. That supplement. I don't have it. Maybe I should fix that.

Lightning Enhanced is one of the scariest monster enhancements you see in the game, I think it's only appropriate that it's scary in D&D as well. :smallwink:
But yeah, what do you think of the CR adjustment on it?

Which reminds me. Time to stat up Rakanishu, the Lightning Enhanced Extra fast creep...

hamishspence
2010-11-08, 10:10 AM
+2 seems OK. Maybe it might work more like a charged bolt spell- producing sparks that drift about the battlefield?

Might need a slightly higher CR though, if the sparks can damage creatures further any than those of the current template.

AugustNights
2010-11-09, 06:03 AM
Boss Subtype:I'd add immunity to Death Effects as well. But that's something I do to all my 'Specials' just to avoid the one-hit kills.

Energy Enhanced probably want more Resistance and Immunity at some point.
Actually all the Resistances could be buffed. Energy Resistance.

Otherwise I love these, any chance you'll be making more?

faceroll
2010-11-09, 06:26 AM
Turn multishot into a 60 ft cone?

Ernir
2010-11-09, 11:04 AM
+2 seems OK. Maybe it might work more like a charged bolt spell- producing sparks that drift about the battlefield?

Might need a slightly higher CR though, if the sparks can damage creatures further any than those of the current template.
Would be more similar to how it was in the game. However, I don't like it for D&D, keeping track of lots of drifting bolts would be a nightmare as a DM. =/

Boss Subtype:I'd add immunity to Death Effects as well. But that's something I do to all my 'Specials' just to avoid the one-hit kills.

Energy Enhanced probably want more Resistance and Immunity at some point.
Actually all the Resistances could be buffed. Energy Resistance.
I'm a bit worried about overloading the subtype, it's a really good subtype to get even as it is. But yeah, it's something that might be appropriate.

Won't matter for my group, since not one of them is dealing out death effects, but I wouldn't be posting this if I didn't have hopes for someone else finding a use for it. :smalltongue:

Good point about the Energy Immunity. How quickly should I give that one out? At HD 5? 10? 15?

Otherwise I love these, any chance you'll be making more?
Thanks! :smallsmile:

I've done almost all of the monster templates that are in the actual game (Spectral Touch is one I haven't, that one is... strange.)

I could do the Champion templates, though.

Turn multishot into a 60 ft cone?

Hmm. Something like the War Mind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warmind.htm)'s Sweeping Strike, then? "The creature's ranged attacks affect all creatures in a 60' cone" or something like that?

You can't make AoOs with ranged weapons, so a few of the crazier abuses with Sweeping Strike could be avoided this way. Good idea, thanks.

Calmar
2010-11-09, 11:22 AM
First of all, that's amazing! I think your templates could very useful in any kind of D&D game to quickly create a special version of a monster. :smallsmile:

Extra Fast

Type:
An Extra Fast creature gains the "boss" subtype.

Special Qualities:

Fast (Su): An Extra Fast creature is constantly under a Haste (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/haste.htm) effect, as the spell.

Feats:
An Extra Fast creature gains Spring Attack and Whirlwind Attack as bonus feats, even if it does not meet the prerequisites.

Challenge Rating:

That might be CR +2. Melee creatures like most giants, or certain dragons would be much more dangerous with this template, I think.

Ernir
2010-11-09, 12:03 PM
OK, I changed the scaling on the resistance on the Elemental templates, and gave out immunity at 10th HD.

Added immunity to Death Effects on the Boss subtype.

Changed the Multishot template. It's deadly against mobs now, but I tried to make it impossible to affect the same target twice.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Extra Strong template? I still think it's boring.
Reduce the ability score increases, and hand out Powerful Build?

First of all, that's amazing! I think your templates could very useful in any kind of D&D game to quickly create a special version of a monster. :smallsmile:
:smallredface:

AugustNights
2010-11-09, 03:06 PM
OK, I changed the scaling on the resistance on the Elemental templates, and gave out immunity at 10th HD.

Looks good to me.

Added immunity to Death Effects on the Boss subtype.

The reason I suggest this, is because more often than not many players and DMs feel cheated when a Big Bad goes down in one blow. (The player who delivered the one shot kill usually doesn't feel as cheated.) At least this is my experience. A Boss Creature should be a challenge to kill, and Death-effects are too easy for Bosses. But that's my philosophy.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Extra Strong template? I still think it's boring.
Reduce the ability score increases, and hand out Powerful Build?

Extra Strong were harder to kill and dished out stupid amounts of damage, yes?
Powerful build, and 2x Strength on one handed weapons, 3x on two handed weapons and a +2, maybe +3 to CR sounds... reasonable to me... The 3x Damage on Two Handed Weapons is worth two feats, and charge attack (Leap Attack)... so 3 CR maybe? Don't let it stack with things like Power Attack or Leap Attack? Just thoughts.

And please do the Champions.
I love these.
I plan on using these.
Quick CR jumps and Leader type monsters are great!

The Tygre
2010-11-09, 03:51 PM
These are actually pretty cool. They kind of remind me of the templates from 4e, and I am a sucker for anything that lets a boss monster come out faster. Good job. :smallcool:

AugustNights
2010-11-10, 02:03 PM
I was looking over the Wikis and I don't think spectral strike would be hard to do, actually, if it was instead called 'Prismatic Strike' and base it off of the spells of the same name. Just a thought.

Ernir
2010-11-13, 05:35 PM
Spectral Hit and the Champion templates have been done!

Lev
2010-11-13, 09:32 PM
The listings here should mostly be Lesser Templates with matching Templates and Greater Templates.

Cursed applies amp damage in D2, amp damage causes -100% physical resistance-- what this means is that physical immune are no longer immune.

I'd say it should either remove AC, DR or both-- Including taking the edge off physical immune like oozes, ect.

If you want, throw in the Legendary Creature template in here to generate SuperUnique monsters.

The Tygre
2010-11-14, 01:10 AM
I'm thinking, should the lightning, fire, and cold bosses energy damage scale? 1d6 isn't all that much when you get down to it, and it's practically nothing at higher levels. Maybe 1d6/2 HD?

NineThePuma
2010-11-14, 01:18 AM
What's the LA on these? =3

Lev
2010-11-14, 03:24 AM
Spectral hit doesn't trigger on unarmed?

Ernir
2010-11-14, 01:54 PM
Spectral hit doesn't trigger on unarmed?
Right, Unarmed Strikes are not natural weapons unless you happen to be a monk. :smallsigh:

Will fix.

What's the LA on these? =3
The LA is "-". I did not think of these as appropriate for player characters.

If you really really want it on a player character for some reason (death throes on a PC? Really? :smalltongue:), LA = CR adjustment should... mostly work.

I'm thinking, should the lightning, fire, and cold bosses energy damage scale? 1d6 isn't all that much when you get down to it, and it's practically nothing at higher levels. Maybe 1d6/2 HD?
Maybe. I think it would require going over the CR adjustments again, though, as lots-of-d6s-of-damage is really significant. I mostly thought of it as a way to slap an elemental theme on the monsters, similar to using an enhanced weapon without needing to pay through the nose for a magic item.

The listings here should mostly be Lesser Templates with matching Templates and Greater Templates.
Sorry, but I don't understand. :smallconfused:

Cursed applies amp damage in D2, amp damage causes -100% physical resistance-- what this means is that physical immune are no longer immune.

I'd say it should either remove AC, DR or both-- Including taking the edge off physical immune like oozes, ect.
That sounds like a valid use of the Bestow Curse spell as is. Lowering AC is only explicitly supported via the "lower Dex" use of the spell, but "you lose all natural armor bonus to AC" or "you lose all damage reduction" doesn't really sound out of line either.

(Also, nitpick: D2 Amp doesn't remove the PI of PI monsters with a final physical resistance of 120% or above.)

If you want, throw in the Legendary Creature template in here to generate SuperUnique monsters.
Those should combine well, yes.

I can't replicate it here, I believe, but for those who are interested, the Monster of Legend template is in the MM2, page 213.

AugustNights
2010-11-14, 02:23 PM
Spectral Hit and the Champion templates have been done!
Yay!
They look great on first glance!

This!

This is all of the quick-monster mods from D2, yes?
You sir deserve 1 Horadric Cube filled with an internet that has been combined with the internet.

Lev
2010-11-14, 03:06 PM
Normal, Nightmare, Hell

Lev
2010-11-16, 07:40 PM
I recommend checking out Diablerie and Diablo II: To hell and back, they are 2 WotC D2 supplements.

Amplify Damage increases damage taken by a foe by 1D6 whenever its hit with a melee attack (I guess arrows too, but it doesn't say.)

I recommend changing the fire explosion to better match Corpse Explosion spell in Diablerie in this way:

Whenever a fire enchanted monster dies, it deals 1D6/2HD of damage to a 10' radius (centered on the monster) and an extra 5' radius for every size category above medium. Half of this damage is physical, half of this damage is fire.
A successful reflex save will half this damage.
It takes a reflex save of 10 + 1/2 of the monster's hit dice.

Sound fair?