PDA

View Full Version : What system would allow this?

DementedFellow
2010-11-07, 07:22 PM
I just found this wonderful random generator. I wish I could somehow use it in a campaign. So what system would allow this obvious goofiness?

http://chaoticshiny.com/weird_alchgen.php (http://chaoticshiny.com/weird_alchgen.php)

Some of the gems I've found are:

Jawbreakers + Aspirin + Wishful thinking = Wine
Jello + Cell phone + Chanting = Astroturf
Blue Paint + Perfume + Chocolate + Faulty logic = Playing cards
Rocks + Sugar + Hocus Pocus = Limestone
Catnip + Croutons + SCIENCE! = Mulch

Darrin
2010-11-08, 12:03 AM
I just found this wonderful random generator. I wish I could somehow use it in a campaign. So what system would allow this obvious goofiness?

http://chaoticshiny.com/weird_alchgen.php (http://chaoticshiny.com/weird_alchgen.php)

Some of the gems I've found are:

Jawbreakers + Aspirin + Wishful thinking = Wine
Jello + Cell phone + Chanting = Astroturf
Blue Paint + Perfume + Chocolate + Faulty logic = Playing cards
Rocks + Sugar + Hocus Pocus = Limestone
Catnip + Croutons + SCIENCE! = Mulch

Deadlands has rules for Mad Science, but you need *blueprints* before you can actually build any of this.

Mage: The Ascension had the Sons of Ether, that all seems right up their alley. Not sure if they survived into the current incarnation.

Feng Shui could probably handle it. Add in some arcanowave, and the astroturf would drink the wine, grow some tentacles, and start decapitating people with razor-sharp playing cards.

Morithias
2010-11-08, 06:30 AM
Deadlands has rules for Mad Science, but you need *blueprints* before you can actually build any of this.

Please tell me they at least included an "invent" skill, because having a character that literally revolves around finding pieces of paper left behind by insane people is just dumb.

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-08, 07:24 AM
BESM, GURPS, Window

You can do pretty much what ever you want in those.

Tengu_temp
2010-11-08, 08:56 AM
And Mutants and Masterminds. And Risus, where being goofy is half the point.

On a side note, this is my favorite result:

Cardstock + Rubber Cement + Shake thoroughly = Uranium
Just like in real life!

Psyx
2010-11-08, 09:18 AM
Also: Torg.

dsmiles
2010-11-08, 01:16 PM
Thanks for that, it kind of made my day.

Also:
White Paint + Toothpaste + Silver dollar + Heat = Platinum
I wish I could figure this one out, I'd be RICH!

Person_Man
2010-11-08, 01:40 PM
I think 2nd ed D&D had a Gnomish Tinker kit (prestige class, sorta) that let you invent things on the fly. But it's been 10ish years since I've played 2nd ed, so I could be wrong.

Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and lots of other video games have collect and craft "mini-game" built into them. You collect a bunch of otherwise useless stuff that is spread throughout the game world (literally just lying around everywhere, not just in killed enemies' loot) and combine it to make potions, grenades, weapons, etc. In some games it's also pseudo-mandatory, as much of the best equipment for any given level can only be crafted, and not found. I personally hate this aspect of RPGs because I like to pretend to be an epic hero and/or villain who saves and/or dominates the world, not a garbage collector.

But your mileage may vary (widely).

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-08, 02:38 PM
I think Risus (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm) would handle this well.

Terumitsu
2010-11-08, 02:53 PM
The fan made game Genius: The Transgression is centered around that sort of thing. Mostly. The end result is usually going to be a mechanical object of pure mad science that breaks or grows five arms and tries to maim/crush/kill/destroy/bake delicious cake for you once a 'normal' human touches it.

It's based off of the New World Of Darkness setting so I would suggest being familiar with that set of rules first.

falconflicker
2010-11-08, 02:57 PM
Mage: The Ascension had the Sons of Ether, that all seems right up their alley. Not sure if they survived into the current incarnation.

Without getting into Genius, there's the order The Free Council in Mage: the Awakening whose whole style is using modern foci to do magic, and there is alchemy in the system as Matter spells (ingredients could be used as expended foci to grant dice bonuses to transmutation spells).

Also, as far as the Sons of Ether go, there are a couple of legacies of mad scientist technomages, though none using Matter as their Legacy arcana.

Darrin
2010-11-08, 09:15 PM
Please tell me they at least included an "invent" skill, because having a character that literally revolves around finding pieces of paper left behind by insane people is just dumb.

Oh, it's even better than that. To create the gadget, the mad scientist unknowingly enters into a supernatural contest of wills against an evil manitou by drawing poker cards out of a deck and trying to build the best poker hand. For SCIENCE!

Nachtritter
2010-11-08, 09:18 PM
Actually, this sounds like it's right up the alley of Unknown Armies.

Uncertainty
2010-11-08, 09:51 PM
Cardstock + Rubber Cement + Shake thoroughly = Uranium

I have found an easier formula that yields the same product:

Beer + Pasta + Microwave on high = Uranium

I must try this.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-09, 12:38 AM
I have found an easier formula that yields the same product:

Beer + Pasta + Microwave on high = Uranium

I must try this.

Just be sure to use a sub-critical mass, and wear your radiation gear when you do it.

dsmiles
2010-11-09, 05:30 AM
Anyone care to join me in an elaborate dance? We can split the profits.

Rubbing alcohol + Poker chips + Elaborate dance = Gold

WalkingTarget
2010-11-09, 09:04 AM

I think you misunderstood.

You, the player, have to draw up a blueprint for the device that your character invents.

The fact that they wind up looking like the scribblings of a madman is part of the fun.

Mechanically, I want to say that they count as a "good RP bonus" or some such to the check you make to see how good your machine actually turns out when you build it.

Bruendor_Cavescout
2010-11-09, 11:41 AM
You might also look at Savage Worlds. Arcane Background: Weird Science can handle it. Not too surprising, since it was derived from the Deadlands system.

Also, I shall soon ruin the world economy! BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Hair-gel + Aspirin + Puff of Smoke = Diamonds

Thajocoth
2010-11-10, 12:07 AM
Spam + Uranium + Fire = Electric Guitar

I think that generator is trying to kill me and everyone within several miles of me.

Grynning
2010-11-10, 12:15 AM
From the same site's class mashup (http://chaoticshiny.com/clmashupgen.php) generator:

Apocalyptic Ninja
Psireaver
Glyph Barbarian of Despair
Hyperbard of Confusion and Memory
Tiger Rogue

I like the sound of all of these.

dsmiles
2010-11-10, 05:32 AM
I think that generator is trying to kill me and everyone within several miles of me.

Really? I never knew that SPAM was that horrible. :smalltongue:

WitchSlayer
2010-11-10, 07:29 AM
From the same site's class mashup (http://chaoticshiny.com/clmashupgen.php) generator:

Apocalyptic Ninja
Psireaver
Glyph Barbarian of Despair
Hyperbard of Confusion and Memory
Tiger Rogue

I like the sound of all of these.

That's not a class mashup generator.

That's Gamma World.